View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    Wonderful News.
    Indeed. Frost, Barnier and their teams deserve a lot credit for what they've managed to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    What, exactly, has actually been achieved?
    Do you not have a telly or something?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Indeed. Frost, Barnier and their teams deserve a lot credit for what they've managed to achieve.
    Let's not forget the great heroes of this hour so congratulations to Mr Brexit, the great Nigel Farage, without whom it would never have happened in the first place.

We all in the UK are so so grateful, as Nige says, the war is over.

13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Once again; I'm happy we've avoided no-deal. That is certainly good. But I'm not throwing any street parties until we see what's actually in this deal. How much have we lost by leaving the EU; what have we given up to keep some of the benefits that we had as members. The EU does NOT give things away in negotiations with other countries. I'm going to be very interested in seeing how certain individuals in this thread react in the coming days and weeks when the details of what exists in those 2000 pages starts to be teased out by people with more expertise than me.

My strong suspicion is we'll be seeing a lot of "WTF, why did they agree to that?" posts in the future.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Let's not forget the great heroes of this hour so congratulations to Mr Brexit, the great Nigel Farage, without whom it would never have happened in the first place.

Oh dribbles...

I imagine that that has just raised your TAC!

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post

Farage finishes as he began, with a juvenile war quote. The guys a cunt, and a lazy one at that. If he'd actually done his job as part of the EU, the fishermen he claimed to represent would have been in a much better position to start with.

And I refer you to my previous post; I'd hold your celebrations until you see what we're signing up to. The devil, as they say, is in the detail.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

I do, doesn't mean I'm sat watching one right now. Do you have any details of the deal that you can share, details you consider achievements deserving of a lot of credit? I'll even take a link to the entire deal, if you have it.
    Why are you whining at me? And why don't you try to do your own research?

Why are you whining at me? And why don't you try to do your own research?
    You're the one claiming they've achieved something good. People are perfectly entitled to ask what you think is so good about the deal, bearing in mind that even broad details seem to be lacking at the moment.

If you want to admit that your congratulations are based on nothing more substantial than how this makes you feel, then go ahead. Then we can stop asking you for details that you clearly don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Farage finishes as he began, with a juvenile war quote. The guys a cunt, and a lazy one at that. If he'd actually done his job as part of the EU, the fishermen he claimed to represent would have been in a much better position to start with.

And I refer you to my previous post; I'd hold your celebrations until you see what we're signing up to. The devil, as they say, is in the detail.
    As an outsider looking in, I'm just glad it's over. The terms of the deal are set, and everyone can just move on.

It's interesting to see if the UK will consider EU to be someone that they just "had a war with". Does the UK really consider EU some kind of mortal enemy? Apparently there are some in the UK that do, but it seems like it is not in anyone's best interest to continue with this kind of narrative.

I suspect that moving forward, EU and the UK will mostly just not deal with each other so much. EU will do its thing, the UK will do a different thing, and both entities can move on dealing with their current internal issues. Both EU and the UK have a lot on their respective plates.

To people in the UK: Good luck moving foward.
    To people in EU: Good luck moving forward.

You both have lots of work to do (just like we do in the US).

I'm merely asking if you had any details, seemed like you did since you said the people involved on our side deserved a lot of credit for what they had managed to achieve. I guess not. Can't see any whining here.
    I said that people on both sides who had worked on the deal deserved credit. A deal that many said would not be possible in the time frame available and that seems to have satisfied the UK's desires as well as protecting the EU's single market if you feel that is not worth credit then you crack on.

I said that people on both sides who had worked on the deal deserved credit. A deal that many said would not be possible in the time frame available and that seems to have satisfied the UK's desires as well as protecting the EU's single market if you feel that is not worth credit then you crack on.
    Can you source any of those claims?
    The deal isn't out. We don't know what's in it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I look forward to any countries leaving the UK as a result of this.

The irony will be hilarious.

Once again; I'm happy we've avoided no-deal. That is certainly good. But I'm not throwing any street parties until we see what's actually in this deal. How much have we lost by leaving the EU; what have we given up to keep some of the benefits that we had as members. The EU does NOT give things away in negotiations with other countries. I'm going to be very interested in seeing how certain individuals in this thread react in the coming days and weeks when the details of what exists in those 2000 pages starts to be teased out by people with more expertise than me.

My strong suspicion is we'll be seeing a lot of "WTF, why did they agree to that?" posts in the future.
    The deal is "Congratulations citizens of the uk. You just have to line up to shott one healthy foot off that has absolutely no need of amputation instead of both. You're only going to be half crippled against your will instead of completely crippled."

Quote Originally Posted by rmfAcc View Post
    Some PhD in European Politics posted a quick summary here:
    https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/12/24/brexitdeal/

The most interesting part:

So apparently the UK agreed to keep following EU trade rules, while having lost any say on what those rules are or will be in the future. It's a Norway-style deal sorta.
    As the EU likes to do it “you can play along, but we set the rules, deal?” Business in Denmark seems happy, I guess that says alot.

Also some more info

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info...d_benefits.pdf

Does the rest of the world even care about this, any longer?

Hell, for that matter... does the EU?

10+ Year Old Account
    The agreement is over two thousand pages, apparently we are made to believe that brexiteers who have a track record of reading and comprehension issues suddenly manage to digest a technical document of that size. I know it's Christmas and all, but i stopped believing in miracles long ago.

I do get that this is the brexiteers last shot, so they are desperate for not getting a no deal and are already spinning this into something positive. Now they can do that so long they are out and we can grown a stronger union with one less political obstructionist and lack of future vision member, so who cares.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rmfAcc View Post
    Some PhD in European Politics posted a quick summary here:
    https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/12/24/brexitdeal/

The most interesting part:

So apparently the UK agreed to keep following EU trade rules, while having lost any say on what those rules are or will be in the future. It's a Norway-style deal sorta.
    Ah bless the VRT always good with factual reporting, going over that now. Going to be a hard sell in the UK parliament but it's either stay afloat or sink for them as it stands now.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

I am the same tbh. I cannot for my life see how the UK got any kind of deal that is better for the UK than being a full EU member. My prediction is that we kept some things we had while giving away too many rights to retain those things. It's almost like in every kind of negotiation like this, the (much) stronger side always gets what they want. But 2000 pages will be a lot to digest overnight, so expect the fireworks to start after Boxing Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    As the EU likes to do it “you can play along, but we set the rules, deal?” Business in Denmark seems happy, I guess that says alot.

Also some more info

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info...d_benefits.pdf
    Its the only way a single market within the EU can work. Everything coming into the market has to meet EU requirements or else you get individual countries setting rules and exceptions and it all comes crashing down.

It also helps that the EU is a massive market and can make others comply or lose out on some ~450 million consumers.
    Same way China and the US can piss on everyone, they are big enough to force others to dance to their tune.

And why the UK leaving is so dumb, because the UK alone can't match the bargaining position of the EU.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Think the most telling thing about Brexit is that in the EU it all went by with not much more than a shrug.