Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Tanking doesn't feel fun anymore

Hey guys, long time no see.

I've been pally tanking since WOTLK. I loved it, felt like I always had something to do, damage was decent and plenty of defensive buttons.

Now I haven't played in a very long time, I think maybe MoP, and I now lots has changed.

I hit 60 playing ret and got a few pieces and tried to tank a normal. I've gotta say, it felt like... off. Maybe I'm not doing things right, but I really wanted to get other peoples opinions. Especially if you played during WOTLK and through to shadowlands experiencing all the changes.

If you have any tips or maybe good guides (I don't even know who has good guides anymore).

Thanks,
    Nybras - Paladin on Shadow Council

Just saw your thread randomly, I dont remember much about prot paladin in WOTLK - They were insane in TBC obviously, but most spells we had in WOTLK we still have now. P

Anyway icy veins is the gold-standard for a brief and quick guide https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/protec...pve-tank-guide
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Paladin Tanking has spoiled me to tanking on anything else. I know the mobility is low but avengers shield, divine toll, the reliable utility in healing just makes it so much fun for me

Quote Originally Posted by Nybras View Post
    Hey guys, long time no see.

I've been pally tanking since WOTLK. I loved it, felt like I always had something to do, damage was decent and plenty of defensive buttons.

Now I haven't played in a very long time, I think maybe MoP, and I now lots has changed.

I hit 60 playing ret and got a few pieces and tried to tank a normal. I've gotta say, it felt like... off. Maybe I'm not doing things right, but I really wanted to get other peoples opinions. Especially if you played during WOTLK and through to shadowlands experiencing all the changes.

If you have any tips or maybe good guides (I don't even know who has good guides anymore).

Thanks,
    Nybras - Paladin on Shadow Council
    In SL things are more dangerous especially in the current gear but the main thing is using your heal on yourself, ive seen paladin tanks that never use WoG and if you use it on low health it sometimes as good as a LoH, keeping SotR up as much is nice but if your taking dmg the heal is best.

Main thing as a tank is knowing what the enemies do so you know if your going to take a ton of dmg or not, but overall paladin tanking is pretty good.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    In SL things are more dangerous especially in the current gear but the main thing is using your heal on yourself, ive seen paladin tanks that never use WoG and if you use it on low health it sometimes as good as a LoH, keeping SotR up as much is nice but if your taking dmg the heal is best.

Main thing as a tank is knowing what the enemies do so you know if your going to take a ton of dmg or not, but overall paladin tanking is pretty good.
    Most times it's even better to not use SotR, as you need a specific amount of incoming damage that this is even remotely as good as WoG. Pretty funny, if you ask me.
    Ofc, using SotR to reduce bursty dmg is prefered. In higher keys you obviously take enough dmg so that SotR is better to keep up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broombot View Post
    Paladin Tanking has spoiled me to tanking on anything else. I know the mobility is low but avengers shield, divine toll, the reliable utility in healing just makes it so much fun for me
    There's just something about throwing out divine toll into a pack of mobs and seeing shields bounce EVERYWHERE!!! I still get a little giddy every time I see it.

Personally I'm loving tanking dungeons as a prot paladin. I play a much more supportive role (with dispels/heals) than I probably should but it always works out. I'm only 180 ilvl but as it stands I regularly do mythic+0 and some lower keys as tank/healer with 4 dps and can generally keep everyone alive. It's pretty fun. And as mentioned before, definitely Kyrian for Divine Toll lol.

It's a blast and I'm enjoying it before they decide to nerf prot paladins. As it stands though, they're the only tank that can reliable heal their group and the only tank for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broombot View Post
    Divine Toll in a pack of mobs is the closest thing to an orgasm this game can give.
    Putin khuliyo

Paladin is the only way i can actually tank. Having low mobility doesn't really matter when you always have the mobility through Hand of Freedom and multiple ways to protect and heal yourself.

And yes, you can't have another convenant rather than kyrian and i really hope divine toll stays after the expansion as a talent, or blizzard get finally get rid off this bullshit after all, and let us keep the convenant-bonuses for the later xpacks by add them as a 4 choice in our talent tree at 60

I think its because pally tanking is so easy now, compared to other tanks. Always top, always kicking.
    Tanking and healing at the same time also great.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having a blast in dungenons, it's pretty crazy how much a good prot paladin can make your run much smoother, it feels so satisfying saving people from dying with WoG's and Spellwarding

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Divine Toll in a pack of mobs is the closest thing to an orgasm this game can give.
    Pretty much this. Boss tanking in raids is a bit of a snore but M+ is so far a blast to tank. Going to miss DT if it goes away post SLands.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Kinda offtopic, but can I go for a Necrolord Prot Paladin without fully crippling myself? From what I've seen while Divine Toll is obviously stronger offensive, paired with conduits the Necrolord ability seems to offer a decent selfheal and it seems to do quite good single target damage for its cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    Kinda offtopic, but can I go for a Necrolord Prot Paladin without fully crippling myself? From what I've seen while Divine Toll is obviously stronger offensive, paired with conduits the Necrolord ability seems to offer a decent selfheal and it seems to do quite good single target damage for its cooldown.
    You'll be fine with either, although DT is a huge quality of life improvement if you plan to focus on dungeons. There's never been a better tanking tool for handling big groups. For single target the other covenant abilities are pretty much universally better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    You'll be fine with either, although DT is a huge quality of life improvement if you plan to focus on dungeons. There's never been a better tanking tool for handling big groups. For single target the other covenant abilities are pretty much universally better, though.
    Thanks, thats good to know. I will probably make more dungeons though, but currently I just like the aesthetics of the Necrolords the most and I'm not that much of a fan of the Kyrians.

So, I just wanted to update everyone.

It was just me being a noob. bad gear, wrong talents, wrong abilities, just I was doing it wrong.

I'm doing M0 as a tank now with no issues, considering going to M+
    (but I do love me some ret right now)

After a week thinking about kyrian opness or venthyr I just decided that my prot paladin will be venthyr too Kyrian ability is so powerful,but I just cant stomach that covenant at all,the visuals,the characters etc are so bland. Its a shame,since DT is op,but venthyr is so fitting for a blood knight (plus I will retri in arena and venthyr is good for that aswell)

Every char suffered some changes throughout versions, mostly decreasing stats of spells

15+ Year Old Account
    I leveled Prot in SL and absolutely loved it. Tanked a few normal dungeons and a heroic so far (gear is still low), and it is so much fun. DT fits into the toolkit so well, pop WoG if I get low (usually my fault for not hitting a defensive or standing in too much crap), and how many skills are as much fun to use as Avenger's Shield?
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I literally came on the forums to post how freaking OP paladin tanking is and THIS is one of the biggest reasons why. I'm sitting here grabbing 8-12 mobs (some run back so I can't always get as large of a group as I'd like), throw conc down, HOR, judge, SOR, divine toll and like nearly everything is dead in a matter of like 10 seconds. What I hate is when there's only 1-2 mobs. Its like the game slows down so much when there's less things to hit. I'm killing shit faster on my prot pally than I do on my dps classes lol. I don't know what @Nybras is doing wrong (not using the right spells, not picking the right talents, not being Kyrian...who knows) but prot paladin is by far the most OP tanking class in the game and I can see why every guide ranks prot paladin as the top choice for tanking in Shadowlands so far.