Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    If your phobias are so bad that they are impacting your daily life, hobby and preventing you from enjoying a videogame without photorealistic graphics, you really should seek out cbt or exposure therapy to spiders or w/e is ailing you. This isn't the mark of a healthy person or life.
    I felt the same, dont want to step on people toes with this, but I do agree that if its an issue that comes back daily.. you should seek some prof help if it bothers you doing something for fun in sparetime.

I knew a person who had a phobia of coffee.. now that a real problem.. he couldnt even sit on a damn terrace. Its annoying for outsiders..even tho you are trying to understand what the person is going through.

But virtual spiders?...

Seems like there's plenty of people who don't understand what either a phobia is or what irrational means... The latter is more worrying than the former.

Fucking hell...
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Seems like there's plenty of people who don't understand what either a phobia is or what irrational means... The latter is more worrying than the former.

Fucking hell...
    Just dont take it personal, but you cant look in some ones head and glad we cant tbh. It seems to be more of an issue for you then any one else in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Just dont take it personal, but you cant look in some ones head and glad we cant tbh. It seems to be more of an issue for you then any one else in this thread.
    Has nothing to do with taking it personal... It's the fact that people act "it's irrational to have a phobia about this because pixels" when irrational is de-facto the definition of a phobia...

Which is the worrying part... because the name itself should be enough for people to understand what it is. To me it's like people being surprised or not understanding that water makes you wet. Which is worrying.

And it's not necessarily the fact people don't understand it either, since people can learn. However when people berate or kick down on people because of their lack of understanding then yeah, it irks me.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-12-25 at 11:19 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    World of Warcraft has its fair share of spiders but as an arachnophobe I can deal with most as they are just crawling on the ground in plain sight, don't jump at you and are pretty much a mob like any other.

If you are a Necrolord and have your Anima Conductor upgraded to level 2 dailies will send you into Sightless Hold, a crypt under the House of Eyes, that you normally have no reason to go.

Have your camera panned down and everything is fine and dandy. Some spiders running around on the ground, nothing unusual.

However NEVER. EVER. point your camera upwards.

https://i.imgur.com/v1ckP2H.jpg

I very nearly screamed. This is the exact reason I hate these bastards.
    Does people really get scared because of some pixels on monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    No mate. A lot of people here are like "haha just don't be a child" or "lol, it's fake spiders". That is not helpful and very ignorant. "Just don't be lame" equivalent of advice against bulling. And no, hit the bully back is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AkundaMrdal View Post
    This is the example of someone who has no clue. How on earth can you be so "edgy" ignorant?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodrich801 View Post
    Honestly that's terrifying...
    Not looking forward to leveling my DK and going Necrolord now.
    Might just push it off a bit.
    Plays a class that starts out by crawling from a pile of dead rotting carcasses with zombies and stitched horrors all around with guts trailing and shit.

Afraid of some spiders... Kekw.

The ignorance from basement dwelling users in this thread is just the icing of the cake.

"-Hurrr, how can people be fraid of spiders or bugs, I have my own colony under my bed huehuehue!"

lol so many pussies in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Baneto View Post
    While I agree to some extent, if it was that easy to work on your phobias then I guess people wouldnt have them.

Human psychology is more complex than just simplifying things by either black or white.
    I never said it was easy, infact I said the opposite, however I do think it's unhealthy to maintain those phobias throughout your adult life without having either, come to terms with them or if they are sufficiently bad, sought treatment and cured yourself.

It's shocking to me, how many people are arguing for the normalization of phobias in this thread, as if they just exist and there is zero recourse.

Edit: another prevalence in this thread is how often arachnophobia is misconstrued, being "creeped out" or a bit disgusted by spiders or made uneasy isn't arachnophobia.
    Last edited by WaltherLeopold; 2020-12-25 at 01:23 PM.

There's a world boss in Suramar that's like that, just dangling on a web until you pull it. Freaks me the fuck out.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Quote Originally Posted by AkundaMrdal View Post
    Yes? Otherwise, horror films/games would have been a DOA genre.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said it was easy, infact I said the opposite, however I do think it's unhealthy to maintain those phobias throughout your adult life without having either, come to terms with them or if they are sufficiently bad, sought treatment and cured yourself.

It's shocking to me, how many people are arguing for the normalization of phobias in this thread, as if they just exist and there is zero recourse.

Edit: another prevalence in this thread is how often arachnophobia is misconstrued, being "creeped out" or a bit disgusted by spiders or made uneasy isn't arachnophobia.
    No, I think this is still you misunderstanding the word phobia in context.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/phobia
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    -phobia noun combining form
    Definition of -phobia (Entry 2 of 2)
    1: exaggerated fear of

2: intolerance or aversion for
    Those are the definitions for the noun-combining form of phobia (ie. Arachnophobia, acrophobia, agoraphobia). People aren't misconstruing the word, they're using it correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Those are the definitions for the noun-combining form of phobia (ie. Arachnophobia, acrophobia, agoraphobia). People aren't misconstruing the word, they're using it correctly.
    That's like saying depression is just being sad or "down".

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Whilst I'm a pretty bad Thalassophobe, my fear of it never amounts to more than a spine-tingle in WoW. Despite all of its dark, deep waters. Because I know it's not real and Blizzard's lazy when it comes to filling oceans beyond a point.

Never had any of my Arachnophobe friends call WoW spiders problematic neither, they're just not realistic enough. They have had their phobias trigger in other games though... I think one of them was Skyrim or Elder Swords Online.

Since I love spiders, I'll gladly enter that place with my Necrolord character.

Here's a friendly little Dinopis, ready to scoop ya'll up! ^_^
    So cute, made a bed for you even.

Totally without bad intentions, nope none what so ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like saying depression is just being sad or "down".
    Yes, it is just being sad or down. What differentiates depression from ordinary sadness or feeling down is the severity and duration of the feelings, as well as the underlying cause for them.

Medical definitions and English definitions can vary quite a bit. You're attempting to force the medical definition as being the only definition, when it is quite clear in this context that people aren't only using the medical definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Troll View Post
    Remember, each spider you fail to kill IRL is plotting your demise...under where you sleep.
    Nah, they're killing mosquitoes and other insects that actually want to bite you. Spiders are friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    You don't really seem to grasp the concept of a phobia, do you?
    A phobia is an irrational fear, the entire point is that you fear it even when you shouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Many people with phobias play the game with the thing they are afraid of. I played through Subnautica despite my phobia of deep oceans and giant sea creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I had issues going underwater in Super Mario 64 haha! Phobias are so weird. I have the same phobia as you, but I always have to see even though its uncomfortable Sea creatures are so fascinating so gotta see them!

Spiders though, I grab them in my hand and put them outside. But tbh we should keep them inside, they are so important for our ecosystems! Still creepy creatures though ^^
    Oh my god, I have the exact same phobia! . It's called "thalassophobia". I had to look it up back in BFA because I was constantly on edge and filled with fear when I had to do that deep underwater quest for the war campaign on Horde. That was very very difficult for me to do.

I had to do that quest twice because I changed my main from a panda monk on horde to my z troll pally during BFA. I thought it was very strange that I had this fear and I thought maybe that other people might have it too. I think I first realized I had this phobia back in Legion. I was on a flight path from Dalaran in the Broken Isles to somewhere (I don't remember where) and I got disconnected right outside Dalaran while flying out. When I logged in back again, I was falling. I fell all the down and into the ocean below... I felt so uneasy and nauseous when I went underwater that I had to take off my headphones and look away (the sound of water when you are underwater would "trigger" my fear of it). I clicked on my hearthstone just before I looked away so I can get the hell outta there asap.

Everytime I would play one of my toons and go through Legion xpac to level/quest, I would always dread taking the flight path from Dalaran to anywhere on the Broken Isles 'cause I always feared that I would get a random disconnect while flying from there and then I would fall into the sea. So whenever I would need to go from Dalaran to somewhere on the Broken Isles through the flight path, I would keep praying silently to myself (lol) that I don't disconnect while I was flying over the sea until I basically was flying right on top of the land underneath... then I would sigh in relief and feel at ease.

Since the portal room got introduced, if I ever need to go somewhere on the Broken Isles, I would take the port to Azsuna in the portal room and then fly from there, either on a FP or fly to my destination directly on my flying mount. I also would purposely not take a direct flight path to a destination where I would have to fly above the sea away from the mainland in any xpac. Whenever I did not know that my flight path would go over the sea, once I would found out, I would pan the camera to the side where I can actually see the land while flying and also make sure to not pan my camera down at all. One example of this is flying from Stormshield/Warspear to like Gorgrond. Also, whenever I would need to do HFC on any toon, I would most likely have not done the intro to Tanaan on that toon so the portal to Tanaan is not open in Stormshield/Warspear so I would need to fly to Tanaan from there. I would fly up moderately high and pan my camera so I looked towards the ruined dark portal straight ahead while flying that way and also zoomed in to my toon so I would not have to look down to the sea.

I think this fear of the underwater probably came from when I was in my early teens, I went swimming for the 1st time in a community pool with my friend at that time. I don't know how but I swam towards the deep end slowly until I could not feel my feet touching the bottom floor of the pool. I almost was gonna drown but my friend at the time used to work or worked as a lifeguard I think so he got me out asap (the other lifeguard on duty at the time at the pool also helped I think). I guess since then I have hated large bodies of water and I would keep my distance very far away from them in RL. I still don't know how to swim so that could also be a contributing factor.

Anyway, to the OP, I also have arachnophobia or maybe had (or maybe still do? I am not sure). Whenever I would find a spider in my home, I would make sure that it is actually there or it is real that I am seeing a spider (I sometimes, very rarely though, would think I have seen one but it is not actually there... I think this kind of "hallucination" started happening like maybe 5 years ago when I got put on anti-psychotics to treat one of my mental issues). Whenever I would look at a spider and it would start crawling (sometimes it would just sit there, sometimes for days even), I felt like it was crawling on me even though it would be crawling on the wall. Like maybe 10 or 15 years ago, I would always get either my older brother or my father to kill a spider lol. Nowadays, I think for a few years now, I would keep a Raid spray handy. I would run to get it whenever I would see a spider and spray it on it... multiple times. The spider would always fall from the wall to the ground after and slowly crawl around in circles and then would stop after a few minutes... I have always waited until it has stopped moving and then I would get the broom and that long handle dustpan and sweep that dead spider and throw it in the waste basket nearby. I also hate silverfish since I moved to this house like 5 years ago. So I use that same raid spray on it whenever I would find it and wait until it's dead then I would sweep it with the broom and throw it in the waste bin. I think I hate all the insects that exist lol.

For spiders in WoW, they don't trigger my phobia of them that much or they usually didn't in early WoW but as Blizzard started updating the model of spiders, I have had a little bit of the phobia coming back but not too much where I can't function or kill it lol.

Just realized this became a long post lol. Sorry about that but I had a lot to say on this topic .

Ok ok, Jesus sent me here to cure all the arachnophobes that this cute gif:

Quote Originally Posted by Alexplode View Post
    i used to be afraid of spiders or insects before like everyone else. It may sound silly but harsh experiences in life thought me how fragile and harmless they are... Now i can grab any spider. cockroach, insect, etc and enjoy the beauty that once frightened me, then throw them to my wife to see her freaking out XDXDXDXD
    Oh my god, you are so evil!!! I would never even touch insects, let alone throw them at someone. You are insane lol.