Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Who went into the Maw, the proper way?

We know that Ursoc was one of the last (named NPCs) to be judged by the Arbiter, and soon after that, every dead soul went directly to the Maw.
    Therefore, let's keep all talk to a time line, no later than Emerald Nightmare raid.

Who went to the Maw? Not an answer like "the truly vile", but actual names? People we know from lore.
    All the bosses/rares we fight in the Maw are new names, we have no connection to, lorewise, but there must be some we know?

Both Kael'thas, Kel'thuzad and Lady Vashj avoided going to the Maw; they would have been good candidates for the Maw in my eyes.
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2020-12-26 at 10:50 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Nobody I can think of.

I think all characters that would otherwise qualify for the Maw are already turned into demons and thus go to the Twisting Nether. Like Gul'dan, Archimonde, Kil'Jaeden.

Come to think of it, shouldn't Kael'thas have been in the Twisting Nether as well? After his initial defeat he was kept alive with fel crystals. That's pretty demonic if you ask me.

Perhaps Teron Gorefiend struck a deal with the jailer? It would fit his character to always come back from death. But perhaps he's demonic enough to go to the Twisting Nether as well.

Yeah, it really shows this expansion to be a lore asspull if you can't come up with anyone. All evil characters are demons, the ones that aren't demonic aren't evil enough to go to the Maw and go Revendreth instead to get redeemed.

The Maw from a storytelling perspective doesn't really add anything new. It's a rehash.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe MU Gul'dan.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any names, but as far as I understand (the lore and information from Blizzard) what the Arbiter did, was sending "the truly vile" to Revendreth, where they could work on their bad things to become one of the Venthyr (or something) and stay there. There were no souls sent directly to the maw before the Arbiter was broken.
    Only the ones, that were beyond redemption were sent to the maw if failing to redeem themselves in Revendreth.

If it were the case, that the Arbiter would have sent souls to the maw before going offline, maybe the Jailer would have become stronger and capable of breaking his chains much earlier.
    Maybe I understand it wrong, but I don't think there 'should' be many of "the truly vile" we meet in some way or the other in the game.

The barometer for Revendreth has been set too high for anyone to qualify directly for the Maw given people who've tried to destroy reality on behalf of demons/old gods, personally disemboweled thousands for science and ate planets don't get a straight ticket there.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    We know that Ursoc was one of the last (named NPCs) to be judged by the Arbiter, and soon after that, every dead soul went directly to the Maw.
    Therefore, let's keep all talk to a time line, no later than Emerald Nightmare raid.

Who went to the Maw? Not an answer like "the truly vile", but actual names? People we know from lore.
    All the bosses/rares we fight in the Maw are new names, we have no connection to, lorewise, but there must be some we know?

Both Kael'thas, Kel'thuzad and Lady Vashj avoided going to the Maw; they would have been good candidates for the Maw in my eyes.
    we dont know anyone who actually went to the maw, as we get like literally zero names of anyone in the maw.

No one goes directly to the maw, they first go to revendreth to be given 1 final chance. if they fail there, then yeah they go to the maw, but we really only have like... maybe 20 charecters tops that we see names of that we know in the shadowlands, and none of them are in the maw.
    we do however find out in the maw there was actually more maw walkers, a fair few, all from azeroth, so the jailor tried experimenting on those he caught.
    kelthuzad avoided going to revendreth by being a lich, when he died he didnt actually die, he went to his phylactry, and from there it was too late, the lich king was dead, so instead of ressurecting and trying to mess up azeroth with what little of the cult of the danmed remained, he slipped into the shadowlands and into maldraxxus where he could stage a coup.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

15+ Year Old Account
    How did Sylvanas end up in the Maw after her suicide anyway? She wasn't that bad at the time to deserve it. Did I miss something like a special summon there by the Jailer or sth?

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    How did Sylvanas end up in the Maw after her suicide anyway? She wasn't that bad at the time to deserve it. Did I miss something like a special summon there by the Jailer or sth?
    Presumably the Val'kyr dropped her there so that the Jailer could use her as an agent because she was highly marketable and Blizzard has to string this bullshit together somehow in proximity to Icecrown which is a thin place between life and death. Since the Val'kyr have been quietly shuffled off stage and Sylvanas' rant leaves it vague this whole thing has been set aside for later as either a gotcha by the Jailer in her raid fight or as a tool of hamhanded redemption depending on which bad route Blizzard want to follow.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    Maybe she ended up there because she landed on Saronrite, and that could've 'corrupted' her?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Kel'Thuzad never really died, he had his phylactery so that he can just return to Azeroth whenever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Maybe she ended up there because she landed on Saronrite, and that could've 'corrupted' her?
    This is a fair point, Denathrius' agents mention a deal with the void, and Yogg-Saron could've easily bypassed the normal routes in the Shadowlands, especially with Icecrown (being made of his blood) serving as a giant reach into the Shadowlands for him.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Presumably the Val'kyr dropped her there so that the Jailer could use her as an agent because she was highly marketable and Blizzard has to string this bullshit together somehow in proximity to Icecrown which is a thin place between life and death. Since the Val'kyr have been quietly shuffled off stage and Sylvanas' rant leaves it vague this whole thing has been set aside for later as either a gotcha by the Jailer in her raid fight or as a tool of hamhanded redemption depending on which bad route Blizzard want to follow.
    Her latest cinematic kinda plays with the idea of "evil for the sake of good" Sylvanas. She was also recollected, not the usual dismissing self. When Anduin told her that Jailer is playing her she didn't address it. I think she knows the Jailer doesn't intend to keep his end of the deal and that she has her own plans as well. Time will tell.

Nobody goes directly to the Maw. Even the most vile get sent to Revendreth where they're given centuries to repent. Only after you prove yourself utterly irredeemable beyond anything do the venthyr send you down to the Maw.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think there's pretty general agreement it was the world-soul of Argus that disrupted the Arbiter. I've some some suggestions that it could have been Kil'jaeden, but being a demon he wouldn't have gone to the Shadowlands.

Prior to that, I think the only ones we can safely assume were sent to the Maw without being judged in Revendreth were likely Arthas and Sylvanas. Sylvanas I assume was simply taken by Forsworn or Mawsworn kyrian.

I'm curious to see if we'll maybe get more development on Varimathras, now that we have strong evidence that the Dreadlords were loyal to Denathrius all along.

The barometer for Revendreth has been set too high for anyone to qualify directly for the Maw given people who've tried to destroy reality on behalf of demons/old gods, personally disemboweled thousands for science and ate planets don't get a straight ticket there.
    Sometimes not even that and you get Maldraxxus

Arthas

But honestly we don't and probably will never know. We don't know if the souls sent there remain as nameless ghosts / vessels, are transformed to one of the countless Mawsworn or retain their identity somehow.

Yeah, if people like that Krastinov guy still get a chance in Revendreth (Not a *fun* chance, but it's better than the maw, i guess), what do you have to do to legitimately get tossed into the maw?

I did a quest involving reading sinstones in Revendreth, the sort of thing mentioned there is *IMO* "Go directly to hell, do not pass GO, do not collect $200"-stuff (We're talking mass-murderers here, leaders having an entire country killed off), which makes me certain that Sylvanas' vision of her afterlife was trickery, if people who did worse than her (At the time, Sylvanas really upped her evil game since the end of Wrath), don't get sent there, why would she? (even now i doubt she'd be maw-bait, considering the... lenient standards i've seen, did anybody *ever* go straight from Arbiter to the maw? Before the current developments, that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Sometimes not even that and you get Maldraxxus
    I legit wonder if the writers checked Vashj' wikipedia page. I don't really mind the choice to put her there, but it does make the morality of everything else questionable. Like Vashj was more morally bankrupt that Zul'jin.

@Amaterasu65

The line delivery and the fact that in the Beta she was delivering generic oneliners about how the Maw will eat his soul whereas she's a lot more neutral in her comments in release makes me doubt she's 100% bound for the Gul'dan role but we'll see. In general they actually produced something where she wasn't a smarmy bitch, a courtesy they haven't done in giving the Jailer anything but generic lines, but something they did try with KJ which ended pretty badly.
    @mysticx

I'd say it's trickery in the sense that she was dropped down in the Maw without meeting the Arbiter but that she did actually go there, she didn't just see it. How well this works as a retcon really depends on what Blizzard do with it going forward since at the moment they've not touched it at all.

Lady Vashj avoided going to the Maw; they would have been good candidates for the Maw in my eyes.
    strongly disagree, Lady Vashj was the bad guy, but all of her actions were always for the sake of her people, so just that one fact is a huge redeeming factor to her character.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    Arthas

But honestly we don't and probably will never know. We don't know if the souls sent there remain as nameless ghosts / vessels, are transformed to one of the countless Mawsworn or retain their identity somehow.
    Why would Arthas even end up there, his soul should have been free of the effects of Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination, and the powers that recide in there, and his own soul by no means should be more evil/unrepenting, especially with his death cinematic taken into account, than Kael'Thas or as someone above mentioned, Krastinov...

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    strongly disagree, Lady Vashj was the bad guy, but all of her actions were always for the sake of her people, so just that one fact is a huge redeeming factor to her character.
    So were Kael'thas' actions with the possible exception of the whole "working with Kil'jaeden" thing. I suppose we could argue about how far "the ends justified the means" matters in the Arbiter's decision between Revendreth or elsewhere, but we don't really know for sure.