Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Not to derail, but what exactly was wrong with the Green Lantern film? Or was the superhero story itself just not plausible for a decent film? I'm not trying to defend it or agree, just curious.
    I didn't think it was a bad movie myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Not trying to be dishonest here, but your sexism bit is followed by a remark on men looking at women.
    Are you implying that looking at attractive people is sexist?
    No.
    That's what I took from whom I was responding to.

Jenkins needs to learn what Nolan knew..or let happen; the big bad in a sequel needs to steal the show.
    in the comics, Diana killed Maxwell Lord, and I expected that to happen in the movie. Disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Quite a few, actually, kiddo. I also say gay people disowned by their parents for telling them they were gay, and saw black people discriminated against just for being black, and people being harrassed and attacked just because they did or didn't believe in the same religious figure as other people did.

I was a teenager in the 80's, and I saw a lot of things you do not and will never know anything about.

- - - Updated - - -

The point was people were saying "women never got harrassed like that in the 1980s." And I'm saying yes it did, and I saw it. What is so hard to understand about that? The way the film or scene is written matters about as much as the color clothes the writer had on when they wrote it. The point is that women have been harrassed like that since I've been alive, and I was alive in the 70's, and 80's, and 90's, and 2000's, and 2010's.
    what the heck does any of that random drivel have to do with what i said?yeah,gay people,black people etc faced and still face that,so you saying i will never know it is pure bullshit,im 30 btw so dont worry i have seen plenty of discrimination also against women....but thats not what i said

also,sorry for not taking you seriously when you say you have seen HORDES OF LEGIONS OF MEN harasing women on mass

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Monster is a true story/based on a true story while Wonder Woman is not. " In June 2017, during an interview with Variety, comic book writer Geoff Johns revealed that he and Jenkins had started writing the treatment for a Wonder Woman sequel and that he had a "cool idea for the second one"." She's been in on it since the beginning.
    Good find, thanks for clarifying that. I guess it was hers from the beginning. Too bad, that script was pretty awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    This is the writer's guild manual: https://www.wga.org/uploadedfiles/cr...s_manual10.pdf

On page 25: "Generally, the most substantial contributor is entitled to first position credit."

There are circumstances where that may not be true, but it wouldn't be for a film someone is proud of.
    Thanks for finding and posting that. I guess she was in on it from the start, AND contributed the most. Damn. I was hoping you'd be wrong, but for good reasons, not that so I would be right - if that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I didn't think it was a bad movie myself.
    Same. Thought Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong did a good job.

I expected so much from the trailer, then in reality it just fell short in every angle, they had so much extra time and it still felt like some part were way too long and then the last parts were way too rushed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    She is co-credited as a writer. So I don't know about that. Also directors get a lot of leeway with how they interpret the script.

I'm still think the movie was heavily recut for some reason.
    It was definitely recut, and it's obvious that some tiny moments from the trailer, weren't even in the movie. Really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The body snatching thing is kinda... questionable. Only because Diana is a superhero and you’d think she would be against that sorta thing. Add in the fact that she only renounced her wish to ‘save the world’, not because she thought the guy should have rights to his body. She seemed perfectly happy to go along with living a life with Steve, not ever considering that the guy who’s body he took had no choice in the matter.

We’re just all supposed to be okay with him being taken over by someone else and no longer existing because... what? He’s a single bachelor? He has no family?

Nah. That is kinda fucked up.
    Plus she sleeps with him; the actual guy having no say-so in the matter.

I can't even believe WB let that pass, especially considering that it was the actual guy. Shots of Trevor as Pine are the audience's perspective on how Diana sees the actual guy. But if you popped in the window, she's fucking a stranger without his knowing.

Surely, even Gal Gadot can't get away with non-consensual sex.

Hated that whole concept.

Quote Originally Posted by inafume View Post
    Pretty sure they show her digging out the armor (at least the helmet).
    Yes, there is a scene where she rips something out from it and then walks away. It is very confusing. But, i guess that means she grabbed it. She still ran off from the city and flew off and then went back to pick it up. It's pretty silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    WW 1 was universally liked (especially when put against Cpt Marvel), so was Shazam. Aquaman was above average, Joker was universally acclaimed. Batman is looking decent. So no, I don't think DC is coming back to it's "true form". Although WW 2 is just bad. Eh and there was HQ movie, so maybeeee...
    Batman looks interesting largely because of the Se7en angle depending on how that is executed it could flop or be amazing. Part of the issue of emphasizing the 80s angle is people were expecting something fun like guardians and this just isn't that. Also have some serious issues with the whole steve plotline and how it was executed comic book ww would not be okay with it.
    Last edited by Xath; 2020-12-29 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Plus she sleeps with him; the actual guy having no say-so in the matter.

I can't even believe WB let that pass, especially considering that it was the actual guy. Shots of Trevor as Pine are the audience's perspective on how Diana sees the actual guy. But if you popped in the window, she's fucking a stranger without his knowing.

Surely, even Gal Gadot can't get away with non-consensual sex.

Hated that whole concept.
    I thought her raping someone was just a meme but I looked it up and it actually fucking happens. A superhero rapes someone in their own movie. Wtf
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post

The point was people were saying "women never got harrassed like that in the 1980s." And I'm saying yes it did, and I saw it. What is so hard to understand about that? The way the film or scene is written matters about as much as the color clothes the writer had on when they wrote it. The point is that women have been harrassed like that since I've been alive, and I was alive in the 70's, and 80's, and 90's, and 2000's, and 2010's.
    No, people arn't saying that. People, or at least I'm saying, its a terribly written scene, much like the rest of the movie. People cat-call in every decade, its not some thing that ONLY happened in the 80's and therefore, at least in my eyes, isn't a trope of the 80's. Fine, have 1 guy harass her to make a point, but every guy she passes in that scene is lecherous towards her, it happens 3 or 4 times in a row. Its ham-fisted story telling and incredibly sexist.

But I guess some people are fine with that.
    Last edited by cyberglum; 2020-12-29 at 10:19 AM.

There were a couple of moments where I was genuinely confused about the story. Like when they were in the guy's apartment who apparently was an expert on the artifact, or something. Like how, why, when? whatever.

It was pretty decent overall imo. I've seen recent superhero movies with worse writing, like Dark Phoenix. The one thing I think they could've done better is the CGI. It claims to have been working with a 200m budget, but I'm not convinced. What's the point of these commercial titans if not the awesome CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    She said "Guys don't do this, it's creepy". That was the end of it. Nothing about sexual assault or anything, just a bit of advice to make life smoother for women AND men. Until people like you blew it all out of proportion and got your asses hurt that a woman would dare to not want you to hit on her at YOUR convenience rather than hers.

The fact that people like you are still being dishonest about "Elevatorgate" this many years later speaks to how tenuous your argument has always been.
    the bias is amazing here,meanwile guys literaly get sexualy harased by women in bars every day and its suposed to be seen as socialy acceptable,but a dude casualy and politely asking for COFEE,not even an in your face ''hiting on'',is seen as EVIL HARASER,get over yourself

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    the bias is amazing here,meanwile guys literaly get sexualy harased by women in bars every day and its suposed to be seen as socialy acceptable,but a dude casualy and politely asking for COFEE,not even an in your face ''hiting on'',is seen as EVIL HARASER,get over yourself
    I think we've already established that you know very little about the social reality in the US...not just as it is today, but as it was 4 decades earlier.

But it goes both ways. I can't imagine a country you live in.

I think we've already established that you know very little about the social reality in the US...not just as it is today, but as it was 4 decades earlier.

But it goes both ways. I can't imagine a country you live in.
    I literaly need to know nothing to know that there arent gangs of dudes runing around on mass sexualy harasing women on the street everytime they dare leave their homes

and either way,usa is better overall in that department as where i live wile women are respected,its in a very old fashioned gender norm way,so its not rly that good

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The body snatching thing is kinda... questionable. Only because Diana is a superhero and you’d think she would be against that sorta thing. Add in the fact that she only renounced her wish to ‘save the world’, not because she thought the guy should have rights to his body. She seemed perfectly happy to go along with living a life with Steve, not ever considering that the guy who’s body he took had no choice in the matter.
    It ties back to my "why did they?" thing. There is no in-plot reason for the body snatching, but there is also no call backs to it aside from that one time in the apartment when he looks at the mirror. It could have been random people bumping into them and asking Jim where's he's been or his job calling to see where he is. Then they could have tied it to her realizing "hey, this guy is somebody". But they don't do any of that, so why is it a thing? If they didn't get Chris Pines and needed to sub in another face, they could have woven it into the plot like that, but they got Chris Pines, and they used him throughout, so what sense does it make?

Plus, she meets the guy at the end and compliments his suit, and he doesn't remark "I don't remember the last week of my life!" or anything. Plus of course, this is the guy that was beating up secret service, right?

One of the big issues with the movies is that it doesn't actually address the canceling of the wishes in any way. So you wanted extra nukes, then they launched nukes so now you launched nukes, but you undo your wish so now your extra nukes disappear. What about your original nukes and all their nukes? Diana renounces her wish, but her wish still happened for that time period, so that means there was a giant wall around an Egyptian city for a while, then it went away? Everyone remembers the wishes and remembers they had a farm or porsche or whatever and remembers renouncing the wishes? I had figured maybe Max renouncing his wish would invalidate all of the wishes he granted, so reversing history, but nope! Everyone still will remember Max Lord broadcasting on a secret american base and forget alllll about it by Justice League, so all Batman can find is a photo from WW1, not someone remembering the 80's...

Basically, the real theme of the movie seems to be that there are no consequences for anything, ever?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It was pretty decent overall imo. I've seen recent superhero movies with worse writing, like Dark Phoenix. The one thing I think they could've done better is the CGI. It claims to have been working with a 200m budget, but I'm not convinced. What's the point of these commercial titans if not the awesome CGI.
    One thing I liked was that it was nice and bright through most of the movie, but that did just bring attention to when it wasn't bright and you had a blurry cheetah, but it was nice to have a superhero movie set in the day. I liked Dark Phoenix just fine, but that's a movie that definitely got butchered in post, and probably didn't have a very solid footing to start with.

For myself, I don't recall when the original release date was, but the movie should have been mostly done by COVID, and if anything it should have had extra polish time. It's just odd for such a big movie for DC, with a good budget and extra time, to just be so half baked.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

7/10

Some cringe and forced moments but entertaining enough.

I’m very disappointed. One of the major issues I have with recent DC movies (see also anything Snyder touches) is that they seemingly don’t have a problem with character assassination (I haven’t seen Aquaman or Shazam so I can’t comment on those). Batman and Superman are both major victims of this in cinematic abortions like BvS and Justice League, but Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman was a shining exception to this. Her take on Diana was great IMO, far better than Larson’s Carol Danvers (even though Capt. Marvel is generally the superior movie, I still enjoyed the first WW). Then they have Diana and Steve knowingly and willfully do shit like this. Fucking gross.

Even aside from that the movie is pretty bad. The MacGuffin-based plot is not even internally consistent, the visual effects are atrocious (something else that Warner is unfortunately infamous for) and the supporting cast is mediocre at best. I have high hopes for The Batman, but I will admit that a talent like Jenkins being connected with something like this definitely makes me worried.

I suppose I was more disappointed with Jenkins than anything else.

I suppose I was more disappointed with Jenkins than anything else.
    Rightly so. This film is badly directed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    *drunk critic video*
    Wow, that is really something. I can't take much issue with him... lol.