Win 10 Activation

I've just gone thru a rebuild. The unit was finished on 12/13 and I brought it home on 12/18.
    The OS was installed but was un-activated. Because the death of the old build was heat related
    (SSD & Video Card died) I decided to replace the slightly* wonky motherboard because there
    was no clear evidence of the cause of the meltdown besides the dead parts and I was unwilling
    to take a chance the old MB was good. Also FWIW this was a 3 year old AMD 1500x build.

The OS on the old build was an OEM version of Win 10 and of course it's gone. I bought another
    activation code from Keyquin but I got a message of "this code has been used" when I tried to
    activate. In looking at other versions of the OS on EBay I ran across a comment that indicated that
    a user of the educational version who had the same issue. He called MS and said they fixed the
    problem. I'll try to call MS on Saturday but I have my doubts they'll help with my OEM version.
    Anyway now I am curious about the educational version of the OS. At $80ish its cheaper than a MS
    store version but having gotten bit once I'm a bit leery. Is there any sort of potential problem here ?
    The description appears imo to say that the OS is portable unlike the OEM version. That's about it.
    Thanks for bothering to read this.

* 2 USB slots had died.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2020-12-25 at 11:36 PM.

Just write to Kinguin and let them know your code has been used. They sell gray market codes so that stuff sometimes happens, but is usually resolved pretty easily through support. About your OEM code - MS are usually pretty helpful if you tell them that your motherboard died, so there's a pretty big chance they might be able to help you, provided you still have all the docs.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Talk to kinguin first and see can they help you (their text support has always served me well).
    If all that fails then try contacting microsoft.

Back in the time of windows 7 i recall using the official microsoft phone line/number to activate my windows 7 over phone (automated answering machine in english, not a live human).
    Perhaps google is there still a similar thing for windows 10, those phone activation processes were fairly relaxed and generous.

If you h ave access to your MS account on Microsoft, you can find your MS key there I thought or did they change that when you do a new rebuild with newer parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Faeldan_US View Post
    If you h ave access to your MS account on Microsoft, you can find your MS key there I thought or did they change that when you do a new rebuild with newer parts?
    depends on if your serial is tied to your MS account or is an OEM keytied to the hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    depends on if your serial is tied to your MS account or is an OEM keytied to the hardware
    In my case the key was tied to the MB.

As for Keyquin I opened a ticket last Sunday and have yet to hear from them. But of course week last wasn't exactly normal
    so at least some slack imo is called for.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    In my case the key was tied to the MB.

As for Keyquin I opened a ticket last Sunday and have yet to hear from them. But of course week last wasn't exactly normal
    so at least some slack imo is called for.
    You can still try to install it on the new machine. Ive only had to call MS once. Out of dozens of total rebuilds,even using OEM keys. The magic words are basically "my old machine died completely" and theyll pretty much just refresh the authorization without any further questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You can still try to install it on the new machine. Ive only had to call MS once. Out of dozens of total rebuilds,even using OEM keys. The magic words are basically "my old machine died completely" and theyll pretty much just refresh the authorization without any further questions.
    I was unable to ever talk with an actual human being at the MS Help Line but I was able to activate it using the command line approach. That method gave me a real long activation key (about 42 digits iirc). Hopefully this is the end of it. BTW how were you able to get to an actual human jic this bites me again ? Thx again.

For what its worth, I've gone through 4 or 5 different computers without putting in a key. Mine is tied to my MS account. I log in during installation and by the time it runs its first updates, its already activated. This has been the case on my 7700k system, 9900k system, and now my 10900k system. All different hardware top to bottom.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    For what its worth, I've gone through 4 or 5 different computers without putting in a key. Mine is tied to my MS account. I log in during installation and by the time it runs its first updates, its already activated. This has been the case on my 7700k system, 9900k system, and now my 10900k system. All different hardware top to bottom.
    OEM or retail? I've also been through a number of different machines and motherboard upgrades by inputting the same educational licensed key. OEM is more strict I believe. I refuse to link it to a Microsoft account if I can help it.

One thing I haven't tried is activating Windows 10 on a virtual machine with the same key because if activations are limited I don't want to use them up.

If it's anything like Windows XP was you'll get about 10 activations before you have to phone in.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    OEM or retail? I've also been through a number of different machines and motherboard upgrades by inputting the same educational licensed key. OEM is more strict I believe. I refuse to link it to a Microsoft account if I can help it.

One thing I haven't tried is activating Windows 10 on a virtual machine with the same key because if activations are limited I don't want to use them up.

If it's anything like Windows XP was you'll get about 10 activations before you have to phone in.
    It originally was Windows 7 Pro OEM. I used the free upgrade to 10 years back.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post

It works through Microsoft account. If you refuse to use it you have to deal with inputting the key every time and calling support.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It works through Microsoft account. If you refuse to use it you have to deal with inputting the key every time and calling support.
    I'll take that any day.