Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Oh, it’s going up for a vote now... 2k and an end to social media in US? All set?
    Democrats absolutely cannot just fold when McConnell puts poison pills in legislation like this.

There are two decent choices.

Vote for it anyways, with all democrats voting for it.
    Vote against it, with all democrats voting against it.

They are completely different strategies.

In either case, the democratic Senators have to explain loudly and to any news organization that will listen as to the reasoning behind the decision. And then Biden has to publicly support whatever decision the Senators go with.

And, ya know, what COULD happen is that the democratic Senators and Joe Biden could coordinate their efforts before the vote even happens.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Exactly this. Democrats should vote to pass it but point out that the amendment is all McTurtles doing so any consequences coming from it belong to him. That they don't want it but are willing to compromise to give republicans what they want in order to allow the $2K checks to go out. Then republicans can either pass it along with democrats and watch it destroy the internet as we know it, or vote it down and show everyone exactly the games they are playing.

I think McTurtle has badly screwed up with this. Call his bluff.
    They should, but they're gonna surrender. God I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    They should, but they're gonna surrender. God I hope I'm wrong.
    Right now the two republican Senators have come out to the left of Biden.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/odds-fisca...205100545.html

Title: At odds with fiscal conservatism, Georgia's GOP candidates support Trump's demand for $2,000 stimulus checks

Excerpt:

"I've stood by the president 100% of the time. I'm proud to do that... We need to get relief to Americans now and I will support that," Sen. Kelly Loeffler said during an interview Tuesday on Fox News.

"I'm delighted to support the president in this $2,000 -- it's really a $1,400 increment over what we've already done... I think this is absolutely appropriate, so I fully support what the president is doing right now," Sen. David Perdue said in a later interview on Fox News, adding that he was "delighted" Trump signed the new COVID-19 relief bill into law, saying he spoke to him about the bill "many times over the weekend (and) over the holiday."
    There is a very high probability that McConnell and the two republicans coordinated this message with the idea that the two Georgia Senators will never have to vote yes, or if they do the votes won't matter (for example, the other republican Senators all vote No and defeat the bill anyways).

On the one hand the political strategy being implemented by the republicans is very good and effective politics, and completely validates and coordinates with their campaign ads. On the other hand this does not necessarily mean that democrats have to bow down before them in submissive surrender.

It completely matters whether or not Biden and the democrats fight hard on this.

lmao what an absolute clown

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post

And this clown is currently Senator. And has a decent shot at winning reelection.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Right now the two republican Senators have come out to the left of Biden.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/odds-fisca...205100545.html

Title: At odds with fiscal conservatism, Georgia's GOP candidates support Trump's demand for $2,000 stimulus checks

Excerpt:

There is a very high probability that McConnell and the two republicans coordinated this message with the idea that the two Georgia Senators will never have to vote yes, or if they do the votes won't matter (for example, the other republican Senators all vote No and defeat the bill anyways).

On the one hand the political strategy being implemented by the republicans is very good and effective politics, and completely validates and coordinates with their campaign ads. On the other hand this does not necessarily mean that democrats have to bow down before them in submissive surrender.

It completely matters whether or not Biden and the democrats fight hard on this.
    Well the one that came up from the house won't even come up for a vote my guess. The poison bill, which than has to pass back through the house, which has already adjourned, if miraculously passed, wouldn't matter cause the house is adjourned. But they need to call McConnell's bluff on the poison bill because it paints them as the bad guys when it doesn't get's 60 votes, but they never face consequenses for being the bad guys so it's whatever, but if the Dem's bow in submission, damnit I hope I'm wrong. It's quite possible both will be blocked for vote, but if either one does every dem needs to vote yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    And this clown is currently Senator. And has a decent shot at winning reelection.
    The timestamps are what do it for me.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Weird, I don't see the Dec. 28 post anywhere on his timeline. Nor any record of it or reporting on it. You got a link?

https://twitter.com/Perduesenate/sta...43989804867585

Second one exists.

I don't know why folks keep trusting random screengrabs in the year of our lord 2020. I mean, fuck Perdue and I hope he gets his ass kicked, but like, this looks pretty obviously fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Pass it. Pass that motherfucker. Get the 2K checks out. Once shit goes south, after say January 20th, EO it back in. Challenge it? "Oh, you WANT to shut down the internet again after I unfucked what you did?"
    lol the 2k won't cover a pittance of the cost of the destruction in the economy and jobs if something like that passed.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

A Republican congressman elect died

This tweet tickled me.

Luke Letlow was not wearing a mask at his runoff victory party Dec 5. He said we need to open the economy & live with COVID. Now he died with COVID & will never be sworn in. His beautiful wife, 3-year old son & 9-mo old daughter will take cold comfort in the stock market

10+ Year Old Account
    Vote for it anyways, with all democrats voting for it.
    Vote against it, with all democrats voting against it.
    One then nukes the economy, costing 1000s of jobs, or the one that makes them look less progressive than Trump?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Pass it. Pass that motherfucker. Get the 2K checks out. Once shit goes south, after say January 20th, EO it back in. Challenge it? "Oh, you WANT to shut down the internet again after I unfucked what you did?"
    Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Exactly this. Democrats should vote to pass it but point out that the amendment is all McTurtles doing so any consequences coming from it belong to him. That they don't want it but are willing to compromise to give republicans what they want in order to allow the $2K checks to go out. Then republicans can either pass it along with democrats and watch it destroy the internet as we know it, or vote it down and show everyone exactly the games they are playing.
    This is myopic... If it’s repealed, we will need another round of stimulus, for an additional reason to covid. It’s the same logic that costs people a week of unemployment, which for some is over 600, because of a single payment of 600. There are millions of people on unemployment, were 300 addition to unemployment, is 1200 a month... resulting in more than 2000, in 2 months, while lasting for 3.

Don’t think of it as social media just pausing until Biden is president... think of all the people who keep social media running, that will lose jobs during the pause.

- - - Updated - - -

Democrats should respond by adding M4A to it... making a total clusterfuck... televise it like a game... every Wednesday, we present democrats and republicans, introducing new amendments to the stimulus bill... the longest running sitcom on MojoVision...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine having a president-elect who took this opportunity to make the case for why we need $2k checks or using this as an opportunity to help Democrats in the Georgia runoffs instead of this lazy bullshit

https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/st...63113292439557
    So your issue is he said yes? Does he need to say yes for 10 minutes for you to be happy?

This is just fucking stupid to complain about while having said nothing about Trump for 4 years.

Stop being a huge steaming hypocrite. People might actually care what you say if you went such a hypocrite.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excited for January 21st!
    When all of our anti-establishment kids on this site suddenly realizes that the vaccine distribution has been a clusterfuck and jump over each other to condemn the president as a blood-soaked murderer for letting this happen.

Calling it now, the Intercept and Kyle Kulinski copypasta will rush here to condemn "Joe BIden's power grab by using the DPA to force companies to make more vaccines, more masks and more PPE".

Who writes the first "biden/neoliberal vax handling has failed us" post?
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a good reason why someone should be able to block bills from one chamber being voted on in the other? If a bill passes in the House, why should it not be voted on in the Senate?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So your issue is he said yes? Does he need to say yes for 10 minutes for you to be happy?
    If the issue is simply him turning around, than it makes all the other outrage completely meaningless. Turn around gate?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

Democrats should respond by adding M4A to it... making a total clusterfuck... televise it like a game... every Wednesday, we present democrats and republicans, introducing new amendments to the stimulus bill... the longest running sitcom on MojoVision...
    Damn, you should run for speaker!

Wouldn't even be that hard since they have 3 ready made bills just sitting there.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post

This is just fucking stupid to complain about while having said nothing about Trump for 4 years.

Stop being a huge steaming hypocrite. People might actually care what you say if you went such a hypocrite.
    I don't know how anyone can watch Bernie Sanders on the floor of the Senate arguing for $2k checks right now and not wonder why Joe Biden isn't fighting as hard for us and think that a simple "yes" is good enough to defend him giving a shit about us. It's just delusional. Joe put his weight behind the $600 checks bill and then praised the bipartisan effort on it saying he hopes Democrats work with Republicans more, but on the $2k checks all we get is a "yes" he supports it and that's it.

I wish we had a president that fought as hard for us as Bernie Sanders is on the floor of the Senate right now.

Just a reminder too:
    https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/statu...27388948213761

Congressional lawmakers are being paid $3,300 of government money every week to come up with ways to block $2,000 checks to millions of Americans.
    Fuck these assholes taking our money and not giving it back to us when we need it. Why should we even bother paying taxes anymore if they're not going to use it to help people when they're most desperate? What is even the point?
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2020-12-30 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Markey seeks consent, as Bernie did. John Cornyn (R-TX) objects, saying the $2K checks are not targeted. "This isn't about helping the people that need it the most. This is about helping millionaires and billionaires and people who frankly have not suffered."

Bernie is pretty clearly being outflanked, says I a serious person.

Jacobin tomorrow: Is John Cornyn the face of a new left?

/slacktivism
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    Jacobin tomorrow: Is John Cornyn the face of a new left?
    Alright, that was pretty solid.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Is there a good reason why someone should be able to block bills from one chamber being voted on in the other? If a bill passes in the House, why should it not be voted on in the Senate?
    The answer to your first question, is no. i know it was rhetorical, but i'm bored.