Thread: WeakAura Scam

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

WeakAura Scam

WeakAura used to scam mail-steal all your gold .. NOT MY VIDEO .. Can any confirm if Blizz is aware?

https://clips.twitch.tv/BadBumblingNarwhalKeepo

Was only a matter of time. Sucks to be the dude that lost the gold, but weak aura explicitly tells you when you import stuff that it has custom lua code and are you sure you want to import.

Oh fk, it sucks...
    I wonder if GM will treat it as in game scam or not since from server side it is probably like he just sent his gold by his own.

Does anyone remember this gem from retail below?
    https://livestreamfails.com/post/4178

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    weak aura explicitly tells you when you import stuff that it has custom lua code and are you sure you want to import.
    Most people aren't going to know what that means, they'll just click OK or whatever, like agreeing to every TOS without reading. Let's not pretend it's their own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    Most people aren't going to know what that means, they'll just click OK or whatever, like agreeing to every TOS without reading. Let's not pretend it's their own fault.
    Wat, It absolutely is their own fault. It's in big red letters don't trust foreign code.

This has been a thing since weak auras has been a thing. Don't trust random people's code.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Wat, It absolutely is their own fault. It's in big red letters don't trust foreign code.

This has been a thing since weak auras has been a thing. Don't trust random people's code.
    Weak auras explicitly advertises wago where you go to copy random peoples' code.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

I mean... Sucks, but using something without understanding its dangers and dismissing all warnings kinda is the users own fault. At least screen over the code first, it's displayed at wago.

It's like those guys that say /afk in BGs or use Alt-F4 as solutions. The internet is full of trolls and scammers, get used to it. And this lesson was probably learned. I learned my lesson on eBay and lost actual money, so this seems like cheap alternative.
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-12-30 at 12:48 PM.

lmao I still remember in private servers, people used to ask around for a macro to show how much RP and progress they had on their pvp ranks and there was a macro going around that literally deleted all your gear

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    But both of these cases are explicitely their own fault.
    If someone is too lazy or too stupid to pay attention,they deserve everything they're getting.

If it's legit, then they will refund the gold and ban the account it got sent to and such. They will probably also start breaking addons' abilities to mess with mail.

Let me guess, you guy's are the folks that get mad when they wanna save a few bucks on ebay and decide to bid on John Doe with (0) ratings because Legit Seller with (242455) ratings is selling it for 20 bucks more and wonder why they could've gotten scammed.

Don't take a script from someone who 'just made it'. Don't be someone's test subject. Only get scripts that have hundreds if not thousands of verified uses of said script. Look at the reviews, and updates to bugs.

Yeah, it's a tough lesson to learn. But since you chose that route, this is the route to not making it happen again. It's not anyone's fault other than your own to read the terms of the game. Think of it as REPUTATION. You took a script from someone with none, and followed their scam to the T.

also if you dont forward this to 10 friends in the next 2 minutes, you will have bad luck for 20 random years.
    Last edited by scelero; 2020-12-30 at 12:52 PM.

Didn't this also happen years and years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    If it's legit, then they will refund the gold and ban the account it got sent to and such. They will probably also start breaking addons' abilities to mess with mail.
    Precisely what shouldn't be happening. Just because of one or two stupid users they would punish thousands of others that use mailbox add-ons willingly. It happened before with UI elements, nameplates and other stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    WeakAura used to scam mail-steal all your gold .. NOT MY VIDEO .. Can any confirm if Blizz is aware?

https://clips.twitch.tv/BadBumblingNarwhalKeepo
    This is not true. You need to confirm when you're sending gold and addon can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    But both of these cases are explicitely their own fault.
    If someone is too lazy or too stupid to pay attention,they deserve everything they're getting.
    Yeah this isn't the take. Scammers target people who are vulnerable to their methods - that's literally the whole point.

You know those badly written emails from Nigerian princes you instantly delete? They specifically use poor syntax and the whole Nigeria thing to filter out anybody who's going to be wise to the scam and waste their time. The people who then fall for the scam don't then deserve to be taken advantage of because they're 'too lazy and stupid'; they were the target of the scam in the first place. Not falling for a scam doesn't make you smart, it just means that you weren't the target.

Legit how unwrinkled is your brain that you somehow don't get how this works...unless you're actually saying that 'it's right to take advantage of people as long as they're lazy/stupid', which would also be a 0 IQ take.
    Last edited by Elkfingers; 2020-12-30 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Precisely what shouldn't be happening. Just because of one or two stupid users they would punish thousands of others that use mailbox add-ons willingly. It happened before with UI elements, nameplates and other stuff.
    You obviously have zero clue about how security works. You do not leave a vulnerability in like that. Period."

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Oh fk, it sucks...
    I wonder if GM will treat it as in game scam or not since from server side it is probably like he just sent his gold by his own.

Does anyone remember this gem from retail below?
    https://livestreamfails.com/post/4178
    "Guild gets disbanded by a troll's weak aura."
    Why are they disbanding when the WA reset a 90% HP boss? If the boss was at 1% then I'd understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    This tbh. I mean it was 24k so it's not like it's a huge amount but it's still really shxtty, as that could have been a looooot more.

That person will get banned and he'll get his gold back anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    This is not true. You need to confirm when you're sending gold and addon can't do that.
    Because of WA like this one. It happened years ago as well and Blizz broke it being able to do that. Looks like they missed it in classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    This. If you're sending anything over like 100g to someone, a popup comes up asking to confirm it, if it's not a character on your own account. Addons are very explicitly unable to click said confirmation box, nor get around it.

Such a weak reaction to having it happen, pretty blatantly says the thing was faked lmao.