Is Albania the heir of the roman empire?

The ottoman empire inherited the roman empire. Albania broke free. Ottoman empire is no more. Albania has a eagle on its flag and uses albanian which is the altaic language and mother of all languages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    The ottoman empire inherited the roman empire.
    Err, no.

The Roman Empire broke into Eastern and Western divisions. The Eastern Roman Empire, or Byzantine Empire, was conquered by the Ottomans. This is no more "inheriting" the Roman Empire than any other nation that used to be part of said Empire.

Albania broke free. Ottoman empire is no more.
    Even ignoring the above, Albania breaking free would mean breaking any possibility it inherited the Roman Empire.

Albania has a eagle on its flag
    A lot of countries do. Serbia even shares the double-headed eagle.

and uses albanian which is the altaic language and mother of all languages.
    This is just . . . deeply wrong.

It's an isolate, but that speaks against any possibility that other Indo-European languages developed from its root; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_language

5+ Year Old Account
    Double-headed eagle originated from the ancient Hittites, indo-Europeans from Asia Minor.

or at least they have the oldest one...

They spent their history fighting the Egyptians over the middle east n stuff.

Rome...is currntly world known for all kind of reasons, not the the least of which today is the Church.

Albania...who dat?

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's Spain actually

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    No it's Spain actually
    Now there's a better argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy is the heir to the Roman Empire. He stands in front of the Coloseo five days a week.

For 10 Euro you can take a selfie with him. He also has a Patreon, with "Make SPQR Great Again" merch.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Weirdly enough apparently russia has pretty legit claims to be the heirs of the roman empire. The whole word tzar was a russian shortening of Cesar.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Romania maybe? Place was named after the Romans

- - - Updated - - -

FINLAND? My my that is interesting

I suppose in terms of heriditary titles it's correct but what of cultural inheritance
    Not really. The criteria here they’re using is super arbitrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Tho the backstory to that is interesting.

The last legitimate member of the House of Palaiologos (the last ruling house of the Byzantine Empire) Andreas Palaiologos ceded his titles to Spain's King Ferdinand and Queen Catherine, the current Spanish royal house is directly descended from that line.

But this is a very tenuous claim, which is why none of the Spanish monarchs have ever actually used these titles. It is also utterly meaningless.

In a greater geopolitical sense the current direct inheritor of the Roman Empire is the European Union, which holds most of the former population centers and lands of the Roman Empire as it existed at its height. It also draws directly upon its infrastructure, all the languages derived from the official languages of Rome etc. And also retains close ties with any areas it doesn't control and effectively dominates the Mediterranean, something that very much defined the Roman Empire.

In a narrow cultural sense Italy is the undebatable descendant of Rome...cuz you know...it's Italy and it's capital is...Rome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Romania maybe? Place was named after the Romans
    "Romania" was made up out of thin air in the 19th century when Romanian nationalism was trying to forge something resembling a national identity for the various principalities that today make up Romania, and Romanians only started calling themselves "Romans" sometime in the early 16th Century. We don't know how this started, but we know that it was a novel development that surprised their neighbors and travellers/traders of the time.

The word originally just referred to those who spoke the language of the "Romans". Romania has as much of a claim to Roman-ness as any other Romance language speaking nation that isn't Italy, like France, Spain, Portugal, Catalonia etc.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-12-31 at 07:42 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    In a greater geopolitical sense the current direct inheritor of the Roman Empire is the European Union, which holds most of the former population centers and lands of the Roman Empire as it existed at its height. It also draws directly upon its infrastructure, all the languages derived from the official languages of Rome etc. And also retains close ties with any areas it doesn't control and effectively dominates the Mediterranean, something that very much defined the Roman Empire.
    The big flaw in this line of thinking is that of the parts of the Roman Empire where most people lived, and where most economic activity happened. Most of those are outside of the EU. But all sucessors to the empire since the fall of the east are just trying to ride the coat tales.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    An odd question and wish, considering that most European countries trying to claim being the true heirs of the glory of Rome usually end as burning wrecks.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'd like to put my name forward for consideration. I'm asian, so there's no lineage or anything involved, but I'm not currently empress of anywhere else, so I'm available for the moment.

Ahah, yeah, it's kinda like say that it's China nowadays a heir of Roman Empire.

Ottoman empire was a really interesting time. The way they ruled/passed on leadership was mad, put game of thrones to shame.

Be cool to learn more about it

I don't even know where to begin with the burning wreck that is that OP...

I just...what?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Ahhh, a chance to post my favorite image.

Finland is actually the legitimate heir to the Holy Roman Empire as well. Weird, but true!

Because this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donatu...grave_of_Hesse

He is the "#1 pretender to the Holy Roman throne" and incidentally the pretender to the Finnish throne, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.