Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    While you dweebs argue over nothing, I started ghost of tsushima and man im so glad i waited. Mega pretty at 60 fps
    Likely the next big game I get into, Also happy I waited.

Considered doing another run of MHW and FFXV since both run at 60fps on the PS5 now. Then there is the Nioh bundle coming out soon I may grab.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    So much cringe...
    While I don't like the way some of it was worded, Vash isn't really wrong in most of what he said.

Sony literally sold the exact same game from 11 years ago to people, just on a new game engine, then was greedy enough to charge $70 for it, during a world wide pandemic. Just because people are dumb enough to defend the practice, doesn't make it right or okay. It just means people are dumb.

Sony has also chosen to not have BC past the PS4, which means you most likely WILL see more of these refreshes and remakes done for easy and lazy money. Sony choosing not to support PS1, PS2, or PS3 games was no accident. It's a business move, one that they will most definitely exploit. I just find it absolutely hilarious, that the Xbox consoles are actually better BC machines for older PS games through the use of emulators. MS is literally giving people one of the very things Sony is choosing to deny them. It's quite ironic. Yet another way MS is showing themselves to be far more consumer friendly going into this new generation than what Sony is.

It's also interesting to see how MS is doing everything in their power to be as consumer friendly as possible this generation (bar the proprietary storage expansions), while Sony's decisions keep showing them to be more and more greedy. Sure, Sony has the promise of a lot of exclusives, but they're choosing to charge at least $70 for them this time around and beyond that.....they're not really offering much else. A new console and more expensive exclusives....../golfclap. Meanwhile MS is offering two different consoles at VERY different price points, a game subscription service that is literally the best value in gaming that has ever existed, and they're also allowing their exclusives to be played on PC as well, not to mention the BC across ALL the generations of Xbox. And yet you still see people defending the rerelease of a game for $70 from Sony....

As someone on the outside looking in, it just baffles me the lengths people are going to in order to defend literally everything Sony is doing this generation. Does Sony really have all of you wrapped around their finger that much? Or is it some sort of sunken cost fallacy because you've already invested too much money into their ecosystem starting with the PS4, so now you defend them in order to justify your purchases? Seriously, what is it? Yes, you can simply say "I just like their exclusives" and that's fine. But to then continue on and defend literally everything Sony says and does on top of that is just......blind fanaticism. It just goes to show how willing a lot of gamers are to let companies take advantage of them and allow them to be super greedy, simply because they've given you some good games. Blind consumerism at its finest.

And now we wait for the fanatics to rear their heads and come to Sony's defense.....

Edit:
    While I can't necessarily stand Jim Sterling all that much anymore, he did recently put out a video that has some extremely good points to it. Basically helps explain why $70 video games is still a load of bullshit, especially when taken into account how everything else in the gaming industry is, especially for the developers themselves and how they aren't getting paid any more than before to make these games.

Last edited by nuffisenough; 2021-01-01 at 07:34 AM.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes an obese man in make up and gloves on youtube will have the answers.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

The former exec of SIE literally said $60 wasn't sustainable for what they spend to make games at it's current growth rate. He wanted scope turned back instead of a price hike but it is what it is. You can't go back people always want bigger.https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/24/moder...exec-12898467/ These where comments made after he left Sony and before any price tags where announced so don't claim he is defending his company when he's not. He actually wanted to go in a different direction and return to smaller 12 hour games. He knows more about the budgets then Jim Sterling who is literally just grabbing low hanging fruits to get the gamer crowd to hug him and sing his praises all while he is making $14k a month from their patreon pledges. So remind me who has skin in the game to earn money.

Did it have to be for Demon's Souls? Maybe not, but it was going to have to happen and probably this gen so why not do it from the start because the backlash of a mid gen price hike would be far worse. And again, Sony has already shown that not every game will be $70 as only one of their 4 launch titles is priced at that and no shocker it's the showpiece title that had the highest development budget. Yet people want to call nefarious actions into play, laughable. If $10 is making or breaking you then you shouldn't be buying games at launch period so this is a non issue for you darling.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-01-01 at 07:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffisenough View Post
    While I don't like the way some of it was worded, Vash isn't really wrong in most of what he said.
    All the points you point are the same that I'm pointing out. Just saying.
    Sony literally sold the exact same game from 11 years ago to people, just on a new game engine, then was greedy enough to charge $70 for it
    This sort of level of effort isn't new to gaming either. Doom 64 for example is an entirely new Doom game, with new engine and artwork compared to the original 1993 Doom, but it also had new content. It wasn't the same game and worth the full retail price.

It's also worth pointing out that gaming today is also different from back then. While the PS5 is more powerful than the PS4, it isn't enough to say that you'll notice games looking much better. As Dunkey points out, as each console generation is released then the less noticeable the graphics are improving. The PS2 when released had 32MB, and when the PS3 was released it had 512MB. That's a 16X increase. The PS4 has 8GB which is another 16X increase. The PS5 has 16GB, which is a 2x increase. Do you see the problem here? While the PS3 is old by todays standards, it isn't so old that one needs to remake a game from that era. Halo Infinite vs Halo Anniversary vs Halo 3, can you even tell from these photos which is which? Art style has more to do with Demon Souls than graphics output.

Edit:
    While I can't necessarily stand Jim Sterling all that much anymore, he did recently put out a video that has some extremely good points to it. Basically helps explain why $70 video games is still a load of bullshit, especially when taken into account how everything else in the gaming industry is, especially for the developers themselves and how they aren't getting paid any more than before to make these games.
    If companies are making record breaking profits then they don't need to charge more than $60 for a game, and I'd still argue that's still too much. Cyberpunk 2077 is $60 for the PS4 and Demon Souls is $70 for the PS5. Does that seem correct to you? One game sold 13 million copies while the other can only sell up to 2.5 million. Sony screwed up with that one.

While you dweebs argue over nothing, I started ghost of tsushima and man im so glad i waited. Mega pretty at 60 fps
    Ghost of Tsushima has sold 5 million copies, which is still good but not Cyberpunk 2077's 13 million copies. Considering how well Horizon Zero Dawn sold on PC I can't see this business model of Sony exclusives to continue. Microsoft has given up on console exclusivity and at the very least we'll see their games on PC, and at most on Nintendo's Switch. As much as I hated Sega leaving the console business, they had the right idea. It's just far more profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Ghost of Tsushima has sold 5 million copies, which is still good but not Cyberpunk 2077's 13 million copies. Considering how well Horizon Zero Dawn sold on PC I can't see this business model of Sony exclusives to continue. Microsoft has given up on console exclusivity and at the very least we'll see their games on PC, and at most on Nintendo's Switch. As much as I hated Sega leaving the console business, they had the right idea. It's just far more profitable.
    Cyberpunk sold 13 million copies across 3 platforms (5 if you separate next and last gen)....

Its very likely that the majority of those sales was PC and PS4. So lets just say all 3 platforms sold evenly, that means that the PS4 platform sold 4.3 million copies on a platform with a install base of over 100 million units. While Demon's Souls sold on a platform that only has a few million units.

So percentage wise Demon's Souls sold more than Cyberpunk, plus Cyberpunk has been refunded on said platform by a lot of people. So its very likely that 4.3 million number is much smaller. As more PS5's sell so will more copies of Demon's Souls (and other PS5 exclusives/launch titles).

Sony's exclusives isn't going anywhere and as they push PSNow out more and more that will be how PC players get to play more of the titles.

We get it you hate exclusives, like to pirate games and want to bitch and moan about consoles. But even the math is against your argument.

Give it a fucken rest already.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The former exec of SIE literally said $60 wasn't sustainable for what they spend to make games at it's current growth rate. He wanted scope turned back instead of a price hike but it is what it is. You can't go back people always want bigger.https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/24/moder...exec-12898467/ These where comments made after he left Sony and before any price tags where announced so don't claim he is defending his company when he's not. He actually wanted to go in a different direction and return to smaller 12 hour games. He knows more about the budgets then Jim Sterling who is literally just grabbing low hanging fruits to get the gamer crowd to hug him and sing his praises all while he is making $14k a month from their patreon pledges. So remind me who has skin in the game to earn money.

Did it have to be for Demon's Souls? Maybe not, but it was going to have to happen and probably this gen so why not do it from the start because the backlash of a mid gen price hike would be far worse. And again, Sony has already shown that not every game will be $70 as only one of their 4 launch titles is priced at that and no shocker it's the showpiece title that had the highest development budget. Yet people want to call nefarious actions into play, laughable. If $10 is making or breaking you then you shouldn't be buying games at launch period so this is a non issue for you darling.
    Riiiiiight. That’s why MS is putting every single first party title on Game Pass and only charging $15 to play them day one then huh? Or the fact that a game like CP2077 just launched for $60 and it’s probably one of the biggest/most expensive games to come out in years. And CDPRed has made up all the money they put into it and are already posting profits....at a $60 price tag. Games are just soooooo expensive to make that they have to charge $70 for them....right? Right!?

It’s just Sony being greedy and feeding some corporate/PR bullshit to you and you slurping it up.

Once again, the lengths people go to to defend Sony is simply mind boggling. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think some of you actually work for Sony in some capacity.
    Last edited by nuffisenough; 2021-01-01 at 05:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Not exactly shocking that you manage to miss the actual relevant point completely.

Sony does not fund exclusives to make the most amount of money they can on any individual game by itself that it might have made by porting them to other platforms too, they do it to get people into their ecosystem through a hardware purchase, after which lots of folks spend further while in there. High budget exclusives drive hardware sales, and is a wider part of that strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by nuffisenough View Post
    Riiiiiight. That’s why MS is putting every single first party title on Game Pass and only charging $15 to play them day one then huh? Or the fact that a game like CP2077 just launched for $60 and it’s probably one of the biggest/most expensive games to come out in years. And CDPRed has made up all the money they put into it and are already posting profits....at a $60 price tag. Games are just soooooo expensive to make that they have to charge $70 for them....right? Right!?

It’s just Sony being greedy and feeding some corporate/PR bullshit to you and you slurping it up.

Once again, the lengths people go to to defend Sony is simply mind boggling. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think some of you actually work for Sony in some capacity.
    Show me where MS is actually profiting on gamepass.

Oh wait you can't, they don't release financial details on it for a reason. My man doesn't know a loss leader when he sees one. Gamepass is existing right now to try to get people into the ecosystem, not to be a sustainable form of profitability. Also comparing MS first party to Sony first party itself is laughable when you factor in Sony has released multiple GOTY contenders in the same year and has won the overall GOTY award 4 of the last 5 years. MS hasn't had a real contender in any of those 5 years. Let's pretend the quality and cost of development between TLOU2 and State of Decay 2 are the same lol because otherwise your argument falls flat on its face.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-01-01 at 05:49 PM.

Let's pretend the quality and cost of development between TLOU2 and State of Decay 2 are the same lol...
    Better yet the quality and cost of development between Days Gone and State of Decay 2 are a night and day difference.

State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 couldn't even hold Knack 2's jock strap.

Oh wait you can't, they don't release financial details on it for a reason. My man doesn't know a loss leader when he sees one. Gamepass is existing right now to try to get people into the ecosystem, not to be a sustainable form of profitability. Also comparing MS first party to Sony first party itself is laughable when you factor in Sony has released multiple GOTY contenders in the same year and has won the overall GOTY award 4 of the last 5 years. MS hasn't had a real contender in any of those 5 years. Let's pretend the quality and cost of development between TLOU2 and State of Decay 2 are the same lol because otherwise your argument falls flat on its face.
    That’s still literally zero defense for the $70 price tag. Fanboying over their games isn’t a valid excuse there buddy. But keep trying your little heart out.

And everything you just said about Gamepass is nothing but pure speculation on your part. Once again, as you seem to do so often, you’re trying to present your ideas and opinions as facts.
    Last edited by nuffisenough; 2021-01-01 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Not exactly shocking that you manage to miss the actual relevant point completely.

Sony does not fund exclusives to make the most amount of money they can on any individual game by itself that it might have made by porting them to other platforms too, they do it to get people into their ecosystem through a hardware purchase, after which lots of folks spend further while in there. High budget exclusives drive hardware sales, and is a wider part of that strategy.
    I get why Sony does it, which is also why Sony and Microsoft basically put PC parts into their game consoles. It's all about game sales, specifically other peoples game sales. Sony and Microsoft want you to buy ALL your games on their platform, not just the exclusives. This is why the PS5 is basically a Ryzen 3700 with a RX 6600 or 6700. This business model doesn't work anymore, at least it hasn't for Microsoft and Nintendo. For Microsoft the Xbox One has done so poorly in sales that they had no choice but to bring their games over to PC and Switch. Nintendo isn't porting their games to other platforms but the Switch was hacked and emulated within a year, in what I think is record breaking emulation of a new console. People pay developers to work on the Switch emulator to be able to play Nintendo's exclusives on PC. Nintendo has reluctantly not ported their games to other platforms and wants to push for people to buy their hardware. It just doesn't work anymore. The only console this has worked is the PS4, and honestly not that well either as we already see a few ported games on PC and probably more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Cyberpunk sold 13 million copies across 3 platforms (5 if you separate next and last gen)....
    It's 3 platforms and even 5 doesn't change my point. You aren't going to convince people to buy a PS5 instead of a XSX or PC because Demon Souls. PS4 had the best exclusives of any previous Playstation console and Sony still couldn't capture more market share. Especially right now where you have this free for all of people buying hardware left and right, you won't see the PS5 being dominant this generation either. Especially with the disaster that is Cyberpunk 2077 as arguably the most anticipated game of the year, and Sony pulled it from their store. Again, Horizon Zero Dawn sold really well on PC despite it being a 3 year old game on PS4.

Sony is welcome to try but Microsoft's strategy seems better. Microsoft has their Game Pass on Xbox and PC. Their first party games will also be on Xbox and PC. Microsoft's Xbox Series X can play older One, 360, and original games. Microsoft will even let you pay $20 to turn the console into developer mode and use emulators to play PS1 and PS2 games. Xbox has much weaker exclusives compared to Sony, but is much friendlier when it comes to 3rd party games. Considering the XSX has more powerful hardware than the PS5, the XSX might be the better console to play multi-platform games.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not stupid to have a loss on something just to gain people into an ecosystem. Just look at console sales, as they're not meant to make much of any profit, but meant to get you into the ecosystem. In that regard Microsoft is doing the right thing. Whether that'll be beneficial to consumers in the long run is a different story, as I'm sure Microsoft may want PC gamers on that Gamepass subscription to play games online. Remember Microsoft's embrace extend extinguish applies just as much here as it does in their other businesses.

As for Sony's GOTY games, that really doesn't matter. Bloodborne has only sold 2 million copies, which is probably why we won't see a Bloodborne 2 and probably why we'll see it for PC. God of War has sold over 10 million which is impressive but not as impressive as other multi-platform title sales. Spiderman has sold an impressive 20 million copies. Horizon Zero Dawn is around 10 million. These sales are impressive but nothing compared to Minecraft's 200 Billion, with a 'B'. That's a Microsoft owned product as well. GTAV's 135 Billion also dwarfs Sony's sales. Red Dead Redemption 2 is 34 million. Witcher 3 is 28 million. The only game from Sony that made it onto this list is Last of US, from the PS3 at 20 million. Nintendo does frequent often on that list of most games sold. It's just peppered with Nintendo all over.

While Microsoft doesn't have as many games on this list that has GOTY awards, but Minecraft alone more than makes up for that. Even Kinect Adventures is much higher on this list than anything Sony has, and the Kinect was a failure. Like I've said, I don't know how much longer Sony can keep their games exclusive and watch as all their potential profits fly away. At some point Sony will have to make their own version of Gamepass, and PSNow isn't going to cut it. At some point Sony will have to look past Playstation as hardware and may need to move it towards a service like Microsoft is.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2021-01-01 at 06:37 PM.

Amazing game. Loved it!

I get why Sony does it, which is also why Sony and Microsoft basically put PC parts into their game consoles. It's all about game sales, specifically other peoples game sales. Sony and Microsoft want you to buy ALL your games on their platform, not just the exclusives. This is why the PS5 is basically a Ryzen 3700 with a RX 6600 or 6700. This business model doesn't work anymore, at least it hasn't for Microsoft and Nintendo. For Microsoft the Xbox One has done so poorly in sales that they had no choice but to bring their games over to PC and Switch. Nintendo isn't porting their games to other platforms but the Switch was hacked and emulated within a year, in what I think is record breaking emulation of a new console. People pay developers to work on the Switch emulator to be able to play Nintendo's exclusives on PC. Nintendo has reluctantly not ported their games to other platforms and wants to push for people to buy their hardware. It just doesn't work anymore. The only console this has worked is the PS4, and honestly not that well either as we already see a few ported games on PC and probably more to come.

It's 3 platforms and even 5 doesn't change my point. You aren't going to convince people to buy a PS5 instead of a XSX or PC because Demon Souls. PS4 had the best exclusives of any previous Playstation console and Sony still couldn't capture more market share. Especially right now where you have this free for all of people buying hardware left and right, you won't see the PS5 being dominant this generation either. Especially with the disaster that is Cyberpunk 2077 as arguably the most anticipated game of the year, and Sony pulled it from their store. Again, Horizon Zero Dawn sold really well on PC despite it being a 3 year old game on PS4.

Sony is welcome to try but Microsoft's strategy seems better. Microsoft has their Game Pass on Xbox and PC. Their first party games will also be on Xbox and PC. Microsoft's Xbox Series X can play older One, 360, and original games. Microsoft will even let you pay $20 to turn the console into developer mode and use emulators to play PS1 and PS2 games. Xbox has much weaker exclusives compared to Sony, but is much friendlier when it comes to 3rd party games. Considering the XSX has more powerful hardware than the PS5, the XSX might be the better console to play multi-platform games.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not stupid to have a loss on something just to gain people into an ecosystem. Just look at console sales, as they're not meant to make much of any profit, but meant to get you into the ecosystem. In that regard Microsoft is doing the right thing. Whether that'll be beneficial to consumers in the long run is a different story, as I'm sure Microsoft may want PC gamers on that Gamepass subscription to play games online. Remember Microsoft's embrace extend extinguish applies just as much here as it does in their other businesses.

As for Sony's GOTY games, that really doesn't matter. Bloodborne has only sold 2 million copies, which is probably why we won't see a Bloodborne 2 and probably why we'll see it for PC. God of War has sold over 10 million which is impressive but not as impressive as other multi-platform title sales. Spiderman has sold an impressive 20 million copies. Horizon Zero Dawn is around 10 million. These sales are impressive but nothing compared to Minecraft's 200 Billion, with a 'B'. That's a Microsoft owned product as well. GTAV's 135 Billion also dwarfs Sony's sales. Red Dead Redemption 2 is 34 million. Witcher 3 is 28 million. The only game from Sony that made it onto this list is Last of US, from the PS3 at 20 million. Nintendo does frequent often on that list of most games sold. It's just peppered with Nintendo all over.

While Microsoft doesn't have as many games on this list that has GOTY awards, but Minecraft alone more than makes up for that. Even Kinect Adventures is much higher on this list than anything Sony has, and the Kinect was a failure. Like I've said, I don't know how much longer Sony can keep their games exclusive and watch as all their potential profits fly away. At some point Sony will have to make their own version of Gamepass, and PSNow isn't going to cut it. At some point Sony will have to look past Playstation as hardware and may need to move it towards a service like Microsoft is.
    Most people who still defend Sony and their exclusives are still living in the past, just like Sony is. This old school strategy will sooner or later bite them in the ass unless they start to adapt to the changing landscape that is video games.

Hell, PC gamers should be supporting MS over Sony because MS brings their games to PC as well as Xbox. Meanwhile, Sony is still sitting there going “you gotta buy our expensive console AND pay our increased game prices!” As gamers and the video game industry shift more and more to streaming and Gamepass-style services, Sony’s business strategy will be a harder and harder pill to swallow for people.

If Sony starts to put more of their exclusives on PC, it will just be an indication of this.

PS5 sounds like a cash grab

Quote Originally Posted by mylastken View Post
    PS5 sounds like a cash grab
    In what way?

Sony has ended production of all PS4 models besides the 500GB Black Slim model in Japan. They are using the newly freed production lines to get more PS5's out.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/sony...t-one-in-japan

Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia has ended production of all PlayStation 4 slim (CUH-2000 series) models except one, and all PlayStation 4 Pro (CUH-7000 series) models in Japan, the company confirmed.

The only PlayStation 4 model that will continue to be manufactured and sold in Japan is the standard PlayStation 4 slim 500 gigabyte model in “Jet Black.”

PlayStation 4 slim first launched in September 2016 in Japan, followed by PlayStation 4 Pro in November 2016. The original PlayStation 4 (CUH-1000 series) model, which already ended production, launched in February 2014.

Sony Interactive Entertainment plans to utilize the newly freed production lines to manufacture PlayStation 5, which continues to face extreme stock shortages in Japan, and quickly transition to the newer hardware.

Sony has ended production of all PS4 models besides the 500GB Black Slim model in Japan. They are using the newly freed production lines to get more PS5's out.

This is good news for those who want it, and smart of sony. Secondary market has seriously crashed and with christmas over it won't pick back up, so it'll be less and less bot buy's as well. I may pick one up this year, especially with the 3080 Ti planned for announcement, was gonna get a 3080, but the Ti has double the ram, so I may hold out for the better investment, and get a ps5 to hold me over in the meantime before I upgrade the PC since with scalpers that Ti won't actually be available till 2022.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-01-05 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    This is good news for those who want it, and smart of sony. Secondary market has seriously crashed and with christmas over it won't pick back up, so it'll be less and less bot buy's as well. I may pick one up this year, especially with the 3080 Ti planned for announcement, was gonna get a 3080, but the Ti has double the ram, so I may hold out for the better investment, and get a ps5 to hold me over in the meantime before I upgrade the PC since with scalpers that Ti won't actually be available till 2022.
    3080 TI is gonna cost an ass load of money even if you get it at MSRP thanks to the GPU exception on tariffs expiring. GPUs and Motherboards have increased by as much as nearly $300 overnight, and we're talking prices from direct sites not even scalpers. Terrible time to get PC parts in the US, even if it was possible to get a 3080 TI over a scalper.

- - - Updated - - -

This should be true everywhere and not just Japan(think it might be soon if not already). No reason to have anything more then the cheapest PS4 model on the market as anyone looking to spend more probably wants a PS5. Buying a PS4 Pro would make 0 sense for anyone right now.

3080 TI is gonna cost an ass load of money even if you get it at MSRP thanks to the GPU exception on tariffs expiring. GPUs and Motherboards have increased by as much as nearly $300 overnight, and we're talking prices from direct sites not even scalpers. Terrible time to get PC parts in the US, even if it was possible to get a 3080 TI over a scalper.
    nah MSRP will be 1k. Im good with waiting cause the 3080 is an upgrade, but the 10gb ram not much of one. I can wait for the extra 10g of ram. but that's why I'm specifically waiting, cause fuck scalpers, and therefore might pick up a ps5 in the meantime since scalping that isn't the money maker anymore. When I pick it up GPU, Tarriff's likely won't be a problem due to increase production in US.