Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I hate knowing a LoL MMO is in the works... and that it's gonna be at least 3 years before I can play it

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    Or just do warmode or server pvp and pve, blizzard understood that, why the other gaming business dont ?
    Stuff like ashes relies heavily on it though and let's be honest here, WPvP is only interesting for many because they can gank people. The amount of people that want a fair fight is pretty much non-existent, even with warmode the majority just has it on because of the rewards or because they look for easy victims. Especially asian MMOs also have a hard on for that element, might be a cultural thing, FFXIV is pretty much the only MMO of note where that is not the case afaik. At the end of the day it's easy content and works best if everyone has to participate.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-12-23 at 08:30 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    does riot know an mmo won't work with spaghetti code?
    ArenaNet begs to differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I only played LoL briefly, decided it wasn't for me. I don't know how the universe works or if there was ever an attempt to form a cohesive world, but some of the character trailers and designs are truly great.

And honestly this is all you need. It's not like the World of Warcraft was/is unique in any way, but the gameplay in the RTS games was great for the time and the characters resonated with the players. Everything else is a bonus in my opinion. Get the characters right, create a world that doesn''t give you eye cancer and then go to town.

Does anyone remember the name of one of the many supposed "WoW Killers"? I wish I would, because it was the prime example of lacking aesthetics and boring characters. It had some sort of space theme, went free to play after a while. Didn't even want to play it for free simply because of the above reasons.

All that said, some of the LoL characters have so much potential, hell I could understand if this Ekko character here would get his own game (like some modern Prince of Persia or something).

Imagine thinking a kickstarter MMO somehow has more potential than a AAA MMO at competing with WoW.

Passion is not enough to make a great MMO.

I really hope AoC turns out great. But just looking at the gameplay I get completely turned off by the art style of the game. Looks like a generic korean MMO. Not to mention the plethora of issues with other aspects of the game that I don't think they have enough time in the world to fix all of that.

I just don't think the experience in game development is there for the people working at AoC.

Regarding the lore. You don't really need to understand it or be invested in it. Just knowing it's there gives 10x more appeal to the game. Because when you build a game based on pre existing art/theme/lore makes the games always look way more appealing. Just go look at the world map art for some of the cities for league's world and then go look at AoC's environments or cities. You'll understand what I mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Considering Ghostcrawler is working on it, I'm pretty excited to see the result.
    My thoughts are the exact opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Blezius View Post

Regarding the lore. You don't really need to understand it or be invested in it. Just knowing it's there gives 10x more appeal to the game. Because when you build a game based on pre existing art/theme/lore makes the games always look way more appealing. Just go look at the world map art for some of the cities for league's world and then go look at AoC's environments or cities. You'll understand what I mean.

I think people who don't play League or don't follow the Lore are heavily downplaying the amount of lore League has developed over the years. Let's consider Necrit, one of the people who makes Youtube videos on League lore. In one of his recent videos he said League has far deeper lore than WoW. WoW players could deflect this by saying Necrit is a League fanboy.

Problem with that thought is that Necrit is a WoW freak with 15 max level characters pre-shadowlands and 3 level 60s on WoW classic so clearly he really really likes WoW.

I think if people are really interested in the League MMO and enjoy lore they could should spend a week or two reading/watching all the comics, short stories, bios, cinematics, etc. All the Legends of Runeterra card art and descriptions would help a lot too. LoR card art is pretty fucking amazing, all of it can be right clicked to be viewed in full screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    LoL is huge but the franchise does not always translate its popularity directly to new games based of off it. Hearthstone is still significantly more popular than both LoR and Team tactics despite its outrageous pricing model which should hinder it. The fact that HS gets away with it means the competition has been lacklustre.
    How do you confirm Hearthstone is more popular than LoR and TFT? Twitch viewership doesn't mean anything and I haven't been able to find any stats on Hearthstone playerbase so it's impossible to know what's more popular. However TFT in NA server alone has 1.8m ranked accounts in the most recent set which has been out for 6 months. You need to play a minimum of 5 games to get ranked.

I started playing LoR a few weeks ago, I've tried all the game modes(Labs, Normal, Ranked, Expeditions and Gauntlet) and my queues have been 5-30 seconds in all of them at any time of day. Seems like it has a sizeable playerbase but like Hearthstone can't find any data on it.
    Last edited by ZdravkoPvP; 2021-01-01 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZdravkoPvP View Post
    I think people who don't play League or don't follow the Lore are heavily downplaying the amount of lore League has developed over the years. Let's consider Necrit, one of the people who makes Youtube videos on League lore. In one of his recent videos he said League has far deeper lore than WoW. WoW players could deflect this by saying Necrit is a League fanboy.

Problem with that thought is that Necrit is a WoW freak with 15 max level characters pre-shadowlands and 3 level 60s on WoW classic so clearly he really really likes WoW.

I think if people are really interested in the League MMO and enjoy lore they could should spend a week or two reading/watching all the comics, short stories, bios, cinematics, etc. All the Legends of Runeterra card art and descriptions would help a lot too. LoR card art is pretty fucking amazing, all of it can be right clicked to be viewed in full screen.
    Not sure the problem with League lore is depth but... quality. You can write 10,000 pages but if its about a little chibi girl who is a k-pop star I really don't give a fuck.

I don't agree about the part where it says: League has deeper lore than WoW.
    Come on!

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Feels like I've seen this one already..

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Not sure the problem with League lore is depth but... quality. You can write 10,000 pages but if its about a little chibi girl who is a k-pop star I really don't give a fuck.
    Pretty much this. Their characters are all over the place, I simply don't see how they want to make a sensible game world out of that. Also depth.. I have to wonder how the LoL fans would exactly describe/measure that. Each character having a bit of fluff attached to them is not exactly what I'd think of as depth.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Being a bit disingenuous here, Seraphine is really lame for sure but it's just one example also it's not a chibi so a bit exaggerated.

For every Seraphine there's multiple interesting champs like Jhin, Mordekaiser, Aurelion Sol, etc. Plus WoW recently added Vulpera so they aren't exempt from cringe pandering. Riot pandered to weebs and WoW to furries.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Pretty much this. Their characters are all over the place, I simply don't see how they want to make a sensible game world out of that. Also depth.. I have to wonder how the LoL fans would exactly describe/measure that. Each character having a bit of fluff attached to them is not exactly what I'd think of as depth.
    For some characters it's a lot more than a little bit of fluff and there's still four more years of lore they can add before this game is probably in beta. In just the last two years the amount of lore expansion they've done is pretty impressive. It's hard to find it all but there's a ton of it out there and I'm sure they will be able to make it coherent for an MMO. Things like the voidborn, shadow isles, watchers are all pretty easy to incorporate into raids/dungeons without much work at all. Already having enemies in the universe that all factions would fight against because they threaten everyone should make finding reasons for Ionians, Noxians, Demacians, Shurimans, etc, to work together without it being strange pretty simple.
    Last edited by ZdravkoPvP; 2021-01-03 at 09:46 PM.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Their characters are all over the place
    Recently the characters are getting real deep and entwined stories witch each other (that can't be said about the bland one dimensional trash Danuser has been spewing out)

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    Recently the characters are getting real deep and entwined stories witch each other (that can't be said about the bland one dimensional trash Danuser has been spewing out)
    Again what is real deep for you? I'm sure some people would say the same about overwatch.

Again what is real deep for you? I'm sure some people would say the same about overwatch.
    Overwatch doesn't need depth. The lore in OW serves more as background noise to make the world feel believable. OW is more about the game mechanics than anything else.

If you're going to create a shared world, presumably with quests and stories playing a much larger role... then Riot will need to care about that.

I typed up a really long response that went into detail on the lore of just one character but this god forsaken site auto logs you out after a certain amount of time of inactivity so I've got nothing.

This site functions just as it looks, as if it's from 2002 and never changed.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Characters that are actually morally grey, characters with plot twists and such.

For example the "Burning of teldrasil" speculations before expansion that made people to create light years better theories of why and how the tree burned (like inside job by Jaina) and instead web got the most bland, uninspireing conclusion that was so predictable people actually refused to believe it (Sylvanas is just mustache twirling villain)

Now compare that for example with Noxus invasion to Ionia, story of Boram Darkwill (character that's not even in game) The Black Rose Organisation, Swain overthrowing him while there is a story of Noxus being build on fortress of Mordekaiser (better version of Maw)
    Last edited by Zendhal The Black; 2021-01-04 at 10:46 AM.

LoL has story guys and i love this channel about it.

They working an MMO that they plan to publish in 7 8 years. But i guess they don't see how the new generation don't want to play MMO anymore, but well good luck to them but I definitely think that this is not a good idea

OMG is happening! This are exciting times . They are recruiting here on the site

https://www.riotgames.com/en/mmo-recruiting

IMAGE: