Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I hate the maw because I can't do it while semi-afk on Netflix. So I just do weekly stuff, maybe the odd daily or rare while I'm passing, and ignore it the rest of the time.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    As with everything, people over do it or try to grind it - then complain about it.

Nothing wrong with the Maw, just don't spend your whole life there - they even put a mechanic on you to encourage you to get out. Listen to it - it is there for your benefit
    this is the truest post here
    WoW players are all trash? M+ leavers? Pug raid fails? You don't have stuff to do? WoW has become a solo player game for you? People don't talk anymore? Everyone's toxic? I have a simple solution, just for you!
    Get social. Join a guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would anyone hate on the Maw, when you can focus all your animosity on Tower of Crapghast?

Crapghast was boring from the first moment you set foot in it. The Maw is somewhat fun to run around in.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Maw was one the dealbreakers for me this expansion but, like WildStar, there is so much wrong with Shadowlands it's difficult to name any one fault as the killer.

I didn't grind the Maw, I ignored it. But I could not ignore that this would leave me behind without the sockets.

Oh well, WoW was fun for me while it lasted.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I do have to hand it to the devs - they really did a good job of making the Maw a place nobody ever wants to go.

In game, AND in real life.

It's infuriating that you can't mount at all. It's infuriating that it's so packed with crap that you can't get back to your body easily if you die. It's infuriating that you have to travel so far to where stuff is. It's infuriating that you lose stygia when you die, which again, you can't get back easily, because there's so much crap around your body you can't get away a lot of the time without dying again. It's just plain infuriating. I don't think there's been a zone I care less about than the Maw.

And it isn't helped by the fact that every time someone calls me Maw Walker, I keep hearing "Mall Walker", which is what we used to call the people back in the 90's that used to go to the mall every day and walk a route around the inside of it for exercise. And it's really odd that we, the player, can go in and out at will, and even do a bunch of stuff before the jailer even really cares, but some of the most powerful NPCs in the game (Anduin, Jaina, etc) can't. What's so special about us, really?

This whole expansion seems to be full of interesting ideas but piss poor implementation.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Horrible place for me too. Going there only for the weekly (both covenant and venari) and no more.

The mount thing bothered me at first, but it feels like the spawns of those guys running around, where you can steal their mounts, have been increased. Because whenever I need to go a far distance, boom, one of them show up. And ya'll have to admit, once you get one of those mounts, it's like you're invincible -- just running past everything.

Plus there are multiple ways to just teleport across the zone.

Plus, plus, maybe it's because I've leveled probably 200 levels in Classic without a mount, where this seems like a pedantic thing to whine about.

Plus, plus, plus -- you can barely take two shits in the place, before the Eye of the Jailer tells you to GTFO, so it's not like you're "forced" to spend hours per day in there.

Plus, plus, plus, plus -- I highly doubt Blizzard isn't going to make all of this even easier in patches to come.

So...it's not that bad. Come on.

Unless.....you're on a lower pop realm. Then maybe I can see.
    Last edited by ablib; 2021-01-02 at 06:11 PM.

120 rep a day is 1200 rep in 10 days, it's not minimal. I'm at max rep already thx to going there everyday. I don't have to go there anymore.

Maw is so awful, they had to change the word awful into mawful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    I enjoy clearing "crapghast" layer 8 once per weak.
    Torghass

/10
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ermelloth View Post
    Maw is fine except the fact it gives almost no rewards, except pretty useless Stygia.

Improve rewards there and it will be great.
    I agree. I just dont have enough game time to do much more than weekly quests and a few Odd dailies

The Maw has few enough rewards that both it and Torghast feels optional to all but the most hardcore raider

Despite my minimal playtime I dont mind travelling and its not super difficult to find a Shadehound to ride or buy a Cyper of Relocation to speed things up a bit...

I enjoy the place... could maybe use more diversity in mobs perhaps
    Last edited by Wysmark; 2021-01-02 at 06:17 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am not a big fan of the Maw. Not being able to use a mount is not too concerning, it is that it is a horrible experience for a freshly dinged character. The mobs blow you up in seconds, which means that you lose Stygia and then face a fight back to your corpse to retrieve it, where most likely you will die again trying to get back.

Perdition Hold is great for this. I know it will get easier as you gain more gear but it is a very frustrating experience currently.

Why would you do the Maw anyway? I don't need any of the Torghast upgrades to finish +8 on any of my characters. (ilvl202 and 191).
    I will care about the add socket ability once I get my BiS gear, which will take a lot of lottery from the vault.

There is absolutely nothing worthwhile to get except the tiny socket which isn't even 1% of character power, all sockets combined. Main stat is pretty much dominating every specc. The time spend farming Stygia to buy sockets would be better spent farming BoE drops from raid trash which can potentially increase your power by way more.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2021-01-02 at 10:39 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yamix View Post
    My complaint with it is the grouping and phasing. I shouldn’t need to leave and come back. I don’t really get extra value out of running past the same mobs again, or having to wait for my group mates to make the same slow trek I did.

It’s the same content I get in any other zone except less convenient.
    Indeed. I don't even bother with the group content, not worth going back to Oribos for every damn quest

15+ Year Old Account
    Literally any Dark Souls game and level blows the Maw off the planet in difficulty, so I'm not sure why people are crying. Actually I do know why: babies don't like having their mount removed and ever since Blizzard figured this out they've been trolling the shit out of people with the terrain, Maw, Pathfinder and all your complaints just make it worse as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Literally any Dark Souls game and level blows the Maw off the planet in difficulty, so I'm not sure why people are crying. Actually I do know why: babies don't like having their mount removed and ever since Blizzard figured this out they've been trolling the shit out of people with the terrain, Maw, Pathfinder and all your complaints just make it worse as time goes on.
    You can have your epic tryhard sandbox I really don't care, I do actual hard content with the instanced stuff. I just don't want to go there repeatedly for the sockets because it's mind-numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermelloth View Post
    Maw is fine except the fact it gives almost no rewards, except pretty useless Stygia.

Improve rewards there and it will be great.
    The Torghast upgrades, a mount, multiple pets, socket bonuses, and conduit catchups aren't enough?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I go back and forth about it. On one hand, it is pretty annoying that i can't mount, on the otherm tehre is plenty of portals and I spend 20 minutes at best there.

My experience is as follows, I get disheartened when i remember that i have to go there this week, but when I am in there, it is pretty ok.

Somedays I hate more than others, but I think it has its place in the game. Not to mention you really do not need to do it.

But I still think it could use some improvement.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    The Torghast upgrades, a mount, multiple pets, socket bonuses, and conduit catchups aren't enough?
    - Torghast upgrades to do what? I did +8 without obtaining any upgrades on ilvl 185ish.
    - Don't need a mount for an area you don't visit.
    - Pets.... PETS....
    - The only actual desirable item in the whole maw, except you get so little from it the time you spent farming the stygia to buy 1 socket can be spent farming M+ to unlock 3rd vault slot or random raid trash will yield WAY more character power. I am sure some people are choosing to farm stygia instead of an extra M+ a day which would unlock the 3rd vault slot, bad decision/priority.
    - Conduit catch-up? You can target drop the conduits you need from M+ or Raiding, no need to catch-up, that system is COMPLETELY useless, like what were they thinking? It makes no sense at all. You don't need to catch up conduits because the ones you need can be easily obtained at will.

It's just an annoying piece of crap without a mount.
    Blizzard fails to deliver when they design zones in my opinion.
    It's annoying to fight mobs on your way to your destination - it really is. I get nothing out of it when I do it. And the Maw has the most annoying type that slow you down to like 10% movement speed and stuff like that.

I don't quite understand that whole "the jailer doesn't bother with you just yet" business either.
    It's so dumb from a story-telling perspective.
    I'm the flipping maw walker stealing all his shit and basically the only guy that can escape the maw but after setting his hellforged and hellforges on fire "he only cares a little bit"
    It's as if I'm some kid playing in his yard.

Is this supposed to tell/show me "how insignificant I am compared to his immense power"?

I don't quite understand why it's a normal zone to begin with. It just doesn't fit the story either.
    Either I'm invading that zone with a lot of soldiers and we mess stuff up, so that all the other player characters in there make sense, or I'm there alone sabotaging things.
    If I'm doing the first, I wonder wth is the jailer doing?
    If I'm doing the latter, I wonder wth is the jailer doing?
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-01-02 at 11:41 PM.