Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    What the fuck does 'full time job', 'commitments' and 'hardcore raiding schedule' even mean? To me that reads *I only have time to play 2 hours a week and I still wanna have CE, Blizzard plis gibe*.

There's tons of world#800 2 day raiding guilds that don't expect you to play 20 hours per week. If you can't 'commit' to a 'hardcore raiding schedule' of 6h per week then just buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Synli View Post
    Hey all, just wanted to start a discussion on playing through the current (and I guess future) end game when you have a full time job. Like many I grew up playing this game and now have a full time job and far too many responsibilities to commit to a hardcore raid schedule. For the most part I'm wondering how you could get CE when you can't commit to a raid schedule.

From what I can see in Shadowlands, it looks like doing PvP to gear up properly and then getting into a mythic run with a friend in a couple months is the most optimal way. M+ gear just doesn't seem to have the ilvl. Would this be the best way to do so when you can't commit to a raid team?
    1. you can get CE just playing 2-3 nights a week if you find the right guild, which most wouldn't consider hardcore.
    2. why are you even asking this question if you have friends who are willing carry your CE for free?
    3. you can always just spend some of your full time job money on a boost if you really want, should only be $100-200s worth of tokens towards the seasons end.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffmeister View Post
    Hey Im in the same position, im 35 with a son, gf and full time job. I can get a few hours an evening for a few days a week.

Im happy with pushing keys and raiding casually with my one day a week normal/hc guild.

Ive played since release and have done both hardcore raiding and pvp, I am happy with current solution. So I cant play mythic raids with the kids, no sweat
    sounds like you only need to shuffle a little bit of time around to be able to fit into a 2 nights a week mythic guild. plenty of them are perfectly willing to accommodate people with young kids as many of them are the same age as you and have the same IRL situations.
    Last edited by Hellobolis; 2021-01-03 at 05:05 PM.

Buying a run is the best and most reasonable way if you are short on time. Instead of "wasting" time playing PvP or M+ just go farm gold for 1 hour a day. Or use some of your real money. At that point tho, why even bother with it, just quit and find a different game that suits your limited time.

For the most part I'm wondering how you could get CE when you can't commit to a raid schedule.
    Buy tokens, get a boost.

90% of the people in my guild have full-time jobs and families, they can commit to raiding just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    That is why simple games like LoL/fortnite are so popular. Game lasts for like 10-20 mins and u done with it.
    Maybe fortnite. But LOL is deceptively time consuming. First you have to wait in the queue, then in the lobby, then hope nobody queue dodges in the character pick, then go into the game that will take 30-40 minutes unless you /ff at 20 or it's a roflstomp because enemy team is afk, and that's only 1 game, if you only play 1 game per day you'll have very hard time getting good rank because you only climb if you play a lot of games, if you play only a few luck can completely screw you over, like you get afk on your team and lose and that's your take for the day.

As a medical student, working 70 hours a week, I managed to get a few AotC back in WoD/Legion. I'm also stuck at AotC right now with a full time job as a medical resident and in the middle of a PhD

Good luck with CE.

Just wait a bit and buy a boost. Give your full-time job money to Blizzard though, buying the boost directly from boosters is a bit cheaper but much riskier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Plenty of people get CE while having a full time job. Find the guild that fits you.
    ^ This. Pick a guild with hours that work for you. Schedule your maintenance activities for off nights (m+, professions, pvp, research etc)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    sounds like you only need to shuffle a little bit of time around to be able to fit into a 2 nights a week mythic guild. plenty of them are perfectly willing to accommodate people with young kids as many of them are the same age as you and have the same IRL situations.
    Yea tbh, we're hovering in the top 400 atm and it's definitley happened where a healer says sorry guys my kid ran up for his good night hug. my fault for the wipe lol. Life happens

Being a mythic raider has not been as easy as in SL in a long time. There is no mandatory grind outside of raids except having gold for repairs and consumables. Most mythic raid groups raid 2-3 times a week and being able to attend 95% of raids 3 times a week shouldn't be any issue unless you are working during raid hours.

If you are far behind, then getting gear to 200+ itemlevel might be another issue. Join HC guild first then advance to a mythic guild later.

Hey all, just wanted to start a discussion on playing through the current (and I guess future) end game when you have a full time job. Like many I grew up playing this game and now have a full time job and far too many responsibilities to commit to a hardcore raid schedule. For the most part I'm wondering how you could get CE when you can't commit to a raid schedule.

From what I can see in Shadowlands, it looks like doing PvP to gear up properly and then getting into a mythic run with a friend in a couple months is the most optimal way. M+ gear just doesn't seem to have the ilvl. Would this be the best way to do so when you can't commit to a raid team?
    Most mythic raiders are unemployed or have 0 responsibilities outside of work and have a consistent work schedule that allows them to play on a raid team. I would not recommend this lifestyle as in 5 years you'll be very very disappointed in yourself.

I always wonder what kind of jobs people mean when they say it hinders them raiding. An average 40 hour job, even with 1 hour commute both ways, leaves you with 14 hours per weekday plus weekend to do whatever you want. Sleep 7 hours, still 7 hours free time per weekday. A job alone, if it isn't some crazy 70 hour outlier, doesn't mean you can't raid.

What does however, is other things on top. Like being married with children, some elderly you care for, other hobbies and responsibilities.

Time is plenty even with a full time job, you just have to decide what to use it for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I always wonder what kind of jobs people mean when they say it hinders them raiding. An average 40 hour job, even with 1 hour commute both ways, leaves you with 14 hours per weekday plus weekend to do whatever you want. Sleep 7 hours, still 7 hours free time per weekday. A job alone, if it isn't some crazy 70 hour outlier, doesn't mean you can't raid.

What does however, is other things on top. Like being married with children, some elderly you care for, other hobbies and responsibilities.

Time is plenty even with a full time job, you just have to decide what to use it for.
    Life is more than WoW and work. That’s what I’ve learned and managing your time and commitments works wonders.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

The first step would be to accept that CE is something a fraction of players get and you can progress your character, do all kinds of pve/pvp/other content without ever getting it. The internet sometimes makes it seem as though any decent/average player is capable of clearing mythic raids and becoming a gladiator, but that's just not true. It's people living in a bubble bulshitting you for your own money and ad revenue.

M+ and heroic raids are the pve content designed for goodplayers, yet ones who can't raid long hours, or can't perform at 100% of their character potential. That's simply statistically true, but again, in order to accept that you have to stop believing that heroic raids and m+15 are things you farm on 10 alts in order to prepare for the 'real thing'.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If your job offers you a set schedule and WoW is that important to you, you can probably find a guild that raids 2 days a week for 3~ hours that will eventually get CE. You have to ask yourself if it's worth that much hassle to do content for the top few % of WoW players. I do it because it doesn't impact my schedule, but if I was working irregular shifts probably the last thing I'd want to do is try to schedule the rest of my life around WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

Not every job has a set schedule. So while you might be free one Tuesday you're working the next 3. That can make committing to a raid schedule impossible for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The first step would be to accept that CE is something a fraction of players get and you can progress your character, do all kinds of pve/pvp/other content without ever getting it. The internet sometimes makes it seem as though any decent/average player is capable of clearing mythic raids and becoming a gladiator, but that's just not true. It's people living in a bubble bulshitting you for your own money and ad revenue.

M+ and heroic raids are the pve content designed for goodplayers, yet ones who can't raid long hours, or can't perform at 100% of their character potential. That's simply statistically true, but again, in order to accept that you have to stop believing that heroic raids and m+15 are things you farm on 10 alts in order to prepare for the 'real thing'.
    Bingo. You'll see people act like if you don't have CE you're trash, or if you don't get grand master in some games you're trash, or you're trash if you don't win X number of battle royales, or whatever. The truth of the matter that in all of those cases only a couple % of the playerbase ever actually hits those goals. Most people that play Battle Royales will never actually win a match. There's no honor or prestige in being among those of us that are really good at a video game unless you're making a career out of it
    Last edited by RoKPaNda; 2021-01-03 at 06:37 PM.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

My game time usually is from 22 (family goes to bed) to 24 (I need to go to bed), and when I do manage to log on raid time... do the guild really want a guy who dont know the fight and cant log the next day?

I dread a little bit what Im going to do when Ive cleared Twisting Corridors, which is the actual end-game for me I guess aside from pushing Mythic numbers a bit up... but not being very good at rushing (I really are a raider at heart), I doubt I Can push much further than 13-14 ish.

Achievement hunting, collecting mounts, pets and transmogs is quite fun for me luckily, but whether it keeps me playing after Twisting Corridors is a bit doubtful

Your best bet is to join a guild. Maybe they'll take pity and carry you through it once it's farm status. Unless you plan to buy a run. But yeah, if you can't raid why the need for CE?

I mean, I know a few guilds that got Nyalotha after what, 7-8 months? They raid 9 hours a week and are really bad at the game. If you possess any modicum of skill you can find a decent 2 nights a week guild and will clean the tier with plenty of time to spare.

Not being able to raid 2-3 nights a week while working a regular, fixed schedule 40 hour work week means you are bad at managing your time.

Quote Originally Posted by awadh View Post
    I mean, I know a few guilds that got Nyalotha after what, 7-8 months? They raid 9 hours a week and are really bad at the game. If you possess any modicum of skill you can find a decent 2 nights a week guild and will clean the tier with plenty of time to spare.

Not being able to raid 2-3 nights a week while working a regular, fixed schedule 40 hour work week means you are bad at managing your time.
    If you have a family/ other responsibilities that may not be the case. If you only have work/wow that may be true.

I love how so many people seem to have this mentality. Would you say that to someone in actual conversation, or would you empathize? If you can't do x then you are bad at y. So lame.

there are lots of guilds that get CE raiding 8-9 hours/week, which should be perfectly doable while working full time. Trick is finding a good raid that fits your schedule