Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Engal View Post
    And someone assumes his native language is naturally spoke by everyone on the planet. Get off your high horse lol.

When you are in a story quest involving only yourself, indeed they talk about THE maw walker since you're supposed to be alone for this quest.

However, during the hunt " Soul Reapers" the MawSworn did talk about Maw WalkerS. We're not supposed to be alone at this point, because well, its a hunt, a collaborative event.
    Just fyi he's currently not playing SL by his own admission. So keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    If we're going to nitpick words of the English language, yes, I expect the people who nitpick the words to know what they're speaking about.

Not only that, but they don't just talk about THE Maw Walker.

They literally say it out loud for you:
    You know "you" isn't singular right?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anything canon in WOW tends to revolve around groups of various sizes, there are multiple Maw Walkers just like there were multiple Hearts of Azeroth being pass out by Magni.

If we're going to nitpick words of the English language, yes, I expect the people who nitpick the words to know what they're speaking about.

Not only that, but they don't just talk about THE Maw Walker.

They literally say it out loud for you:

This isn't just the use of the word the.

This is NPCs in game confirming they have no one else who can go into, or come out of, the Maw, and that you are the only one they know who can, and thus rely solely on you for any Maw related trips.

This is confirming you are the only Maw Walker in the story of the game. Whether your own headcanon contains more than one is up to you, but in BLIZZARD's lore, there is only the one.
    That was from the alpha version of https://wow.gamepedia.com/Torment_Chamber:_Thrall and was changed months before release.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhil622 View Post
    Yea and in Bastion and Revendreth npcs call you "a maw walker".... so there is more than one. So no the lore doesn't "always" refer you to "the".

And in an interview with Dan...
    this. /10char

10+ Year Old Account
    I blame story writing on knee. All good people who worked on WoW storyline, left Blizzard long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Or will somebody one day explain to me where the amazing storylines are in Classic, TBC or Cata?
    Only when you explain why you decided to copypaste the same post 36 251 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    You know "you" isn't singular right?
    You know the game is translated into other languages that are a lot clearer on the matter right?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    Anything canon in WOW tends to revolve around groups of various sizes, there are multiple Maw Walkers just like there were multiple Hearts of Azeroth being pass out by Magni.
    I've yet to see convincing evidence of either being the case and quite a few story conflicts that would suggest otherwise.

It's less of reclaiming the forge permanently and more reclaiming the forge for right now.

All the Covenant campaigns are also canon as they are mostly independent of each other and when they do converge each side has its own reasoning.

For example, in the Bastion Campaign, you want vengeance on the forces of Maldraxxus for attacking Bastion. This coincides with the Necrolords wanting that faction out due to them committing treason against Maldraxus. The goals are different yet similar enough that cooperation is possible.

A lot of the Campaigns have a similar overlap. I think the only campaign that's fully self-contained is the NF one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    In the context it's used in? To refer to the player character, a singular person?

It absolutely is in fact singular in that usage of it.
    Even if that usage of "you" is singular, it neither states nor really even implies there's only a single Maw Walker in existence. It could simply mean the faction leader NPC's trust the PC in question with Maw-related things because they're the one who saved them and also a Maw Walker. Other Maw Walkers may abound but didn't have a role in the specific PC's overall story.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Yeah, Story is pretty much fucked at this point. Coherence was thrown out of the window a while ago.
    I remember Legion with millions of ashbringers running around. Because of that the weapon lost its coolness sadly, altho its still a badass sword. I wont ever use it again on my pala .. shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I remember Legion with millions of ashbringers running around. Because of that the weapon lost its coolness sadly, altho its still a badass sword. I wont ever use it again on my pala .. shame.
    Yeah if THAT would be only issue we have today, I would gladly trade

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    You know the game is translated into other languages that are a lot clearer on the matter right?

I've yet to see convincing evidence of either being the case and quite a few story conflicts that would suggest otherwise.
    What conflicts?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    Yeah if THAT would be only issue we have today, I would gladly trade
    Ofc.. but thats just one spec.. should I continue? Lol
    But you can repeat what you wrote every year.

Multiple mortals, but only one Maw Walker. Of course, that'll just result in confusing reports of which one exactly was the Maw Walker. Intentionally confusing reports, that is. Just like nobody can get straight whether the Champion of Azeroth was Horde or Alliance.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not actually being shown in the game, though. There's only one Maw Walker and a bunch of other mortals that come in after the Ebon Blade opens portals from Oribos. So saying "lore wise it's stated" is actually incorrect, the lore says there's only one Maw Walker. The PC is referred to as the Maw Walker, not a Maw Walker.

I just want to point out my observations here and say this is false. I agree with the poster, that the game doesn't really show much of the other player characters and for the most part focuses on your character. But at the end of Theater of Pain, when they're congratulating you they refer to the party as "Maw Walkers" plural.

So the game does have a point of lore confirming there are multiple maw walkers.

What it doesn't have is that an npc or voiced character explicitly stating "You are not the only Maw walker." So yeah, you could play all of the shadowlands mistakenly thinking its a single player story because they never shoved in your face that there are other players. But an absence of proof does not equal a proof of absence. Until an NPC refers to you as the "Single, sole, ONE AND ONLY Maw Walker" then it's false. The game just never explicitly said "You ARENT", its only hinted or implied by dialogue like in ToP.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Little bit offtopic but if the Venthyr and Kyrian campaigns overlap this much (compared to night fae), its pretty much confirmed that the next raid is going to be Bastion raid. They are already setting it up.
    Venthyr overlap with Necrolords much more. And that part of their questline also happens after Denathrius is already dealt with in-story, making it a more likely candidate for a build-up for a future story.

And speaking of the Venthyr/Necrolord overlap (well, the first stage of it that was available so far), there are actually contradictions there that can't be explained with the usual, predictable and already existing in this thread "welp, the Kyrian forge was just retaken more than once because Blizzard kami-sama would never make a mistake". Because in the Venthyr version of the questline Kael'thas is purged of his sinstone before he goes on the Maldraxxi hunt. Moreover, Kael didn't go on Maldraxxi hunt knowing there were actual Maldraxxi forces in Revendreth.

He and the player just randomly stumbled upon the camp after stowing away on the Tithelord's carriage. And even getting on the Tithelord's carriage wasn't the plan as he didn't know we'd stumble upon him personally either. All he and the Venthyr knew at that point was that Tithelord had some deal with a Lich and that included someone smuggling weapons from Maldraxxus into Revendreth, at which point Kael decided to investigate things further.

Speaking of which, the Accuser left shortly afterwards the purging of Kael'thas, leaving him in the player's care. At which point Kael convinced us to investigate the matter further to provide the Venthyr with a "selfless act" to prove how oh, so redeemed he is. So, the player and Kael went to the town where Tithelord meets with his contact from Maldraxxus, as that was the only clue they had. And, like I already said, they just so stumbled on one such meeting, then stowed away on Tithelord's carriage, stumbled upon the Maldraxxi camp and dealt with it. After which you return to Sinfall and inform the Venthyr of the whole thing.

Yet in the Necrolord version when Draka goes with the player to deal with the same camp in Revendreth Accuser is there to greet her, being fully aware of the camp already. And when she introduces her to Kael and offers his aid in this mission, Kael is still carrying his sinstone, meaning he hasn't gone through the cleansing ritual yet. Then you go kill the exact same named Dredgers and the same named Lich as you do in the Venthyr version. Obviously there is no Draka in sight in the Venthyr version either.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2021-01-04 at 06:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

I'm sure someone has already said this, if not then I will: Yes, technically only one is canon. The player character is a unique character within the world. There's not millions of over powered "champions". Lore-wise, the other players you interact with are just soldiers within the Horde and Alliance, with yours being the stand out strongest among them. So the covenant you chose is the one whose story is canon.

Not only has Blizzard stated this, but its also shown during Legion, when you go to deactivate Sargeras's sword, and you are there with lore figures representing the other class halls, all wielding artifact weapons.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Someone doesn't understand the royal use of plural words.
    That someone is you. Majestic plural is about using the plural pronouns when referring to oneself, not about using plural nouns when referring to someone else. Mawsworn referring to the players around them in what is a group activity as Maw Walkers has nothing to do with the royal we. Making your following reply to @Engal here:
    quite ironic.
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2021-01-04 at 06:05 PM.
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Same reason you can be a newbie fresh out of Exile's Reach and can enter Legion content to immediately be given the Ashbringer and command of all Paladins everywhere or whatever. What little canon there is about the PC just assumes a direction continuation between expansions.
    Exile's Reach takes place after Legion though, so canonically no.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

We still have no real idea why the Maw Walker can do it. The HoA link is merely speculation, and only by the community, in the lore nobody has any clue. For that matter, for a new character it's perfectly possible to enter the Maw without ever getting the Heart, even on a new account.
    And a character that hasn't done Legion somehow still appears as an NPC defending the temple of Elune in Ysera's recurring nightmare about her attack on it. Blizzard being sloppy is nothing new, neither does it prove or disprove anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    I'm sure someone has already said this, if not then I will: Yes, technically only one is canon. The player character is a unique character within the world. There's not millions of over powered "champions". Lore-wise, the other players you interact with are just soldiers within the Horde and Alliance, with yours being the stand out strongest among them. So the covenant you chose is the one whose story is canon.

Not only has Blizzard stated this, but its also shown during Legion, when you go to deactivate Sargeras's sword, and you are there with lore figures representing the other class halls, all wielding artifact weapons.
    Given how each and every Class has an NPC stand-in for Sargeras' sword quest, if anything it indicates no player is actually canon and we're just stand-ins for characters that Blizzard usually just doesn't bother specifying.