Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    classic isnt over just because the neckbeard pserver boys have cleared nax and you say so. guilds are still recruiting, for nax especially. there are plenty of people leveling and in the zones as well as running normal dungeon groups (not boosts). the pvp community is still strong as ever. guilds still do older tier raids for gear.
    1 - You speak as if peer pressure doesn't exist. The neckbeards cleared the mmorpg, which has caused a ripple-effect on the vocal community, which will parrot that the game is over. This demoralizes all players.
    2 - They aren't recruiting new players like OP, they are recruiting whatever is left of other raid groups. He would have no chance to participate unless he miraculously manages to enter in a guild that is willing to group up with him for the lowbie / lower-tier stuff. If you know of such a guild, do link it here for him and he will be set - otherwise, he will be alone and without motivating in a grindy, empty leveling / gearing experience.
    3 - There aren't plenty of people leveling, nor in dungeons.
    4 - PvP community won't play with him. He's a new player, not suited for their premades.
    5 - Guilds don't give that gear for new players, it's for their core. Newbies are automatically considered undesired dead-weights at this point.

Check the forums. People in this thread are recommending he stay away, people in god-forsaken Reddit are talking about how the game is withering in the wake of TBC rumors and Shadowlands, etc. This is not an welcoming community and game, even more when you consider that OP thinks Shadowlands is grindy: Classic is notorious for being comparatively worse in that.

It's worth it as a history lesson.

It's not worth it as a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    It's worth it as a history lesson.

It's not worth it as a fun game.
    Thank god you're here to tell everyone what is and isn't fun. God forbid people have their own opinion that might be different to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Droyda View Post
    I've started playing on most populated Normal EU Server (Pyrewood Village) and there are a ton of players on Alliance side that are questing and running low level dungeons.

Unfortunately can't say the same on biggest PVP servers where majority that play there are 60 players. You can even check this if you:
    Normal server: /who 1-10: there are more than 50+ players
    PVP server: /who 1-10 - there are about 20 players

So I would say pick the most biggest Normal server and more populated faction, you will have people to play with.
    Yep. It has been like this for most of classic. Pve realms are a way better leveling experience. A few months ago the leveling already died on all the big pvp servers.

Yes go for it, levelling through the old zones for the first time is quite fun and chill. It somehow feels a lot more meaningful than the retail levelling experience. If nothing else it's good to prepare a character that will likely carry over to TBC. Also you already have the subscription needed so why not try it? If you enjoy it keep playing if you don't: stop. You got nothing to lose.
    Sure you probably won't clear naxx or whatever similar 'goals' people have in the game before TBC comes. That doesn't mean it can still not be a really enjoyable experience.

Daily "Should I play Classic?" thread.

These need to be banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

WoW Classic IS slow but it will feel like a chore. Your first mount will be at level 40, provided you have enough money for it, and the leveling experience will be pretty barren and devoid of other players since Classic has been out for so long. For the same reason, I'd say that you won't be able to do any dungeons before level 58-60, so you'll be stuck leveling and grinding. Forget about group quests of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    If u already have shadowlands and sub you can just download the game and try it, it shares the sub with retail

Better to try it and not like than not try and think you'll like it

Dont listen to the nay sayers, their guild probly disbanded on four horsmen
    Last edited by Rageadon; 2021-01-04 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Daily "Should I play Classic?" thread.

These need to be banned.
    Why? I concede that they could just go look at all the other similar threads, but the presence of such topics is actually very positive, since it points at a somewhat still alive interest in Classic. We don't need one every week to be sure, but then again, the Classic WoW subforum would be pretty empty otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthepoppity View Post
    As the title states. I am looking for a slow-paced game that where my character is not the ultramarine destroyer of worlds who facerolls trough astral planes. However, I have NEVER played classic, started WOW only recently (in bfa to be precise) and have some toons on retail, but SL is slowly boring me and feels like a chore.

Is it worth starting now? I mean, classic is already out for a long time and I worry there won't be enough likeminded people to slowly progress and enjoy the game together. From what I've seen, people playing classic know this game inside out and I'm definitely not one of them. Will I fit?
    I recommend it due to TBC it sadly too late for Classic Vanilla but you can start now and enjoy a slow paced lvling in your own time and you are most likely 60 to TBC. and you can go from there TBC is still not official stated but i think it is just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthepoppity View Post
    As the title states. I am looking for a slow-paced game that where my character is not the ultramarine destroyer of worlds who facerolls trough astral planes. However, I have NEVER played classic, started WOW only recently (in bfa to be precise) and have some toons on retail, but SL is slowly boring me and feels like a chore.

Is it worth starting now? I mean, classic is already out for a long time and I worry there won't be enough likeminded people to slowly progress and enjoy the game together. From what I've seen, people playing classic know this game inside out and I'm definitely not one of them. Will I fit?
    Ignore the naysayers and other idiots. Classic is exactly the game you are looking for and it's never too late to start.

If you ask around in trade chat you should have no problem finding a noobie friendly guild that can answer questions and help out while you are leveling.

IF you decide you want to raid at level cap (ignore all the idiots that say you MUST do this, they have a totally skewed vision of the game) you will be able to find PUG raids for any of the starter raids. A lot of people will be playing alts in these and it's a fine opportunity to learn from more experienced players and gear up your character a bit to join a raiding guild.... IF you want to go that route.

But whatever you do, don't listen to the fucking morons who insist raiding is the ONLY way to play, and you will NEVER have a chance to join a relevant guild, and you can only play X spec or Y class, and blah blah blah blah. And I say this as a consistent 99th percentile parser in the best speed clearing Naxx guild on my server. Don't listen to these narrow minded idiots!!!
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Yes you should try it.

Do NOT listen to the people saying you should not play. They are the people you want to avoid. Lots of guilds still recruiting daily. Lots of dungeons running.

Also end game is the smallest part of classic, the leveling is the true power of classic. The zones.

I suggest doing a google search for classic hardmode.
    Last edited by Utrrabbit; 2021-01-04 at 04:12 PM.

Just play it for an hour and see if you like it.

Don't worry about people warning you about farming for consumables and grinding. That happens on max level when you want to attempt the end game. Before you get there you will spend weeks on just leveling up. IMO if you have no classic experience then there is no point even attempting raids. Comparing to retail classic raids are quite... poor experience.

Instead enjoy the quests telling you to explore some mine where you have to slowly fight your way through, watching out for respawns and not to pull more than 2 mobs at once. Enjoy professions which actually matter and can provide gear upgrades as you level up. Make some attempts at some quests higher level than you for extra challenge.
    Last edited by procne; 2021-01-04 at 04:21 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Why? I concede that they could just go look at all the other similar threads, but the presence of such topics is actually very positive, since it points at a somewhat still alive interest in Classic. We don't need one every week to be sure, but then again, the Classic WoW subforum would be pretty empty otherwise.
    You don't need threads on MMO Champion to indicate how alive Classic is, playing it is enough for that. In general, there isn't really much reason for people to make threads about Classic as it has already happened and been played through, so the information is out on the internet for everyone to retrieve for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    You don't need threads on MMO Champion to indicate how alive Classic is, playing it is enough for that. In general, there isn't really much reason for people to make threads about Classic as it has already happened and been played through, so the information is out on the internet for everyone to retrieve for themselves.
    I feel that, for this particular topic, new threads are in order, because the situation may change. Some months ago the answer to coming back to Classic was a resounding yes, today it's "not really". I agree though that one thread every now and then can do the job just fine instead of many.

I had to request for password so I can respond to this thread because I'm seeing a lot of mixed answers.

I recently started playing WoW classic about a week ago (I mostly just pvp and RBGs in shadowlands and originally started playing WoW end of classic cycle before TBC came out) but within a week on classic I've met up with quite a few friendly people, been invited into their guild (which they are actively working on raids/attunements still even as of January 2021), with a sizeable active online users of about 15-20 at peak times. In my short week I've already done RFC dungeon, literally took no longer then 30 minutes to find people interested in coming via trade chat and my new guild I joined. They are constantly spamming in guild chat for dungeons groups before trying to pug.

So if you're interested in trying out Classic then 100% you can get in and find people who are active and playing regularly. Join a small community guild and be helpful yourself but also willing to learn. Nobody is going to hand you everything in classic. But some may be willing to tag a long for your adventures.

FYI,I still prefer shadowlands over the long grind that is classic WoW. But classic still provides a lot more of a fun and relaxed gameplay IMO which I enjoy when taking a break from the headache that is Retail WoW PvP balance xD

Give it a try only you can know for sure if you will like it or not. This is the most non biased opinion i can give you. The only opinion i will give though that i feel is that if you think SL was a chore, Classic can be just as big a chore.
    Last edited by Bigcountry11782; 2021-01-04 at 05:30 PM.

I started playing classic last week as a side-game to Retail. My older brother and RL friend started playing before me and it's honestly just been very chill questing and feeling my character increase in power level-by-level and by every item I manage to upgrade.

As someone who has played WoW since European Vanilla launch back in 2005, I thought I wouldn't enjoy Classic. But the more I give it a go the more it's growing on me. It's much slower and helps you appreciate the small things. I thought I wouldn't get over aspects like transmog or older character models, but it hasn't been game-breaking for me yet. Currently have a level 19 Troll Shaman and I'm curious to see how long I end up playing it for. Wouldn't mind dipping into BC if that becomes an easy thing to integrate.

You'll have the opportunity to experience WoW as it was before Cataclysm destroyed Azeroth. Raids and dungeons as they originally existed. The game and story that the developers originally created and the game everyone originally fell in love with and continued to love throughout WOTLK. The intended masterpiece that it was meant to be until Cataclysm and its decline.

As you'll see below the sub count which pretty accurately represents the decline in the quality of the game. You'll notice Vanilla and TBC are below WOTLK but that doesnt necessarily mean they were any worse or any better. You'd be nieve to try to judge which expansion of the first 3 (Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK) were better based on their subscription count, instead of the more obvious which is simply that the game was in its youth. It simply wasn't as widespread at the time. Now of course as time went on more people owned more powerful computers (along with powerful portability) and more people got into gaming as well, as the game also became more popular too. Yet the initial rise still turned to a decline at one point even though theoretically more potential users existed as time went on.

Here is a graph of the literal destruction of Cataclysm. Just incase you're not familiar, entire zones were changed, some zones were flooded while others were torn by earthquakes and volcanic activity along with the disappearance of some raids and dungeons and the alteration of others. It was quite an unfortunate decision if you ask me.

P.s. I'm binge watching breaking bad, never seen it before. I only skimmed over this once, not doing it again. If you see any errors, simply ignore them. Thx!
    He who angers you conquers you.

Wait for new classic servers to open from phase 1 and then start playing. Will be a totally different experience.