Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Aesthetically and thematically, Tyrande looks way more similar to some kind of Void-ish warrior. The original moonwell where she ascended to Night Warrior looks very shadowy and bleak, almost as if it were a piece of the Void, and in general the Night Warrior's abilities and appearance (such as the eyes) are very reminiscent of an astral dimension. The stars, black holes, the cosmos, etc. imagery that is typically associated with the cold, endless Void, and certainly not the domain of Life.

As well, the fact that Tyrande's newfound powers risk to overwhelm her if she's not careful is very reminiscent of the plight affecting Alleria and the Ren'dorei.

There's also the connection between Elune and Xe'ra. It is no coincidence that the Tears of Elune unlocked the core of Xe'ra.

Elune is most likely one of the First Ones, the elusive and ancient beings who shaped the cosmos long ago. It was stated that Xe'ra was forged during the Great Ordering of the cosmos, after all, and "coincidentally" only the Tears of Elune can unlock the essence of her being. Was it not Khadgar who theorized that Elune forged Xe'ra?

If Elune is a mere member of the Pantheon of Life, then how do you explain the Night Warrior having clear thematic and aesthetic connections with the Void (and possibly the Arcane), and Xe'ra being linked to the Tears of Elune?
    The amount of Void energies that Tyrande is wielding at Darkshore is incredible; Alleria Windrunner herself would admire her abilities.

The balance druids are the chosen of Elune -- they wield Life (solar energy) and Arcane (lunar energy) at the same time.
    The Priestesses of the Moon are the servants of Elune -- they wield Light and Arcane at the same time.
    The Night Warrior is the avatar of Elune -- they wield Light and Void at the same time.
    Elune's powers also extend to the Shadowlands -- she brought Ysera there, and she is able to continue to directly assist Tyrande in the afterlife. So she has some powers over Death.
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-01-06 at 12:59 AM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

I'm gonna go with the theory that the Winter Queen's 'sister' is Eonar for now. Elune must be in the recent new category of 'First Ones' (heh, there's no coincidence they added that now) since it appears she has power over multiple primal forces. They probably want to introduce more of her kind in this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    The amount of Void energies that Tyrande is wielding at Darkshore is incredible; Alleria Windrunner herself would admire her abilities.

The balance druids are the chosen of Elune -- they wield Life (solar energy) and Arcane (lunar energy) at the same time.
    The Priestesses of the Moon are the servants of Elune -- they wield Light and Arcane at the same time.
    The Night Warrior is the avatar of Elune -- they wield Light and Void at the same time.
    Elune's powers also extend to the Shadowlands -- she brought Ysera there, and she is able to continue to directly assist Tyrande in the afterlife. So she has some powers over Death.
    Where does the Night Warrior use Void powers?

All i see is an enhanced Priestess of the Moon (Lunar abilities, Arrows and Spirit Owl).

Aesthetically and thematically, Tyrande looks way more similar to some kind of Void-ish warrior. The original moonwell where she ascended to Night Warrior looks very shadowy and bleak, almost as if it were a piece of the Void, and in general the Night Warrior's abilities and appearance (such as the eyes) are very reminiscent of an astral dimension. The stars, black holes, the cosmos, etc. imagery that is typically associated with the cold, endless Void, and certainly not the domain of Life.

As well, the fact that Tyrande's newfound powers risk to overwhelm her if she's not careful is very reminiscent of the plight affecting Alleria and the Ren'dorei.

There's also the connection between Elune and Xe'ra. It is no coincidence that the Tears of Elune unlocked the core of Xe'ra.

Elune is most likely one of the First Ones, the elusive and ancient beings who shaped the cosmos long ago. It was stated that Xe'ra was forged during the Great Ordering of the cosmos, after all, and "coincidentally" only the Tears of Elune can unlock the essence of her being. Was it not Khadgar who theorized that Elune forged Xe'ra?

If Elune is a mere member of the Pantheon of Life, then how do you explain the Night Warrior having clear thematic and aesthetic connections with the Void (and possibly the Arcane), and Xe'ra being linked to the Tears of Elune?
    Actually, a Night Warrior is a Priestess of the Moon:

Lunar spell:

Arrow Shot:

Spirit Owl companion:

Last edited by Unbelievable; 2021-01-06 at 09:28 AM.

And then you look at the moonwell where she ascended to Night Warrior:

Which clearly has some resemblance to the Void aesthetics:

Namely the empty darkness right at the centre, and the surrounding shadow energies.

Certainly I can't be the only one who noticed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post

Alleria probably wields a fraction of Elune's power herself. If Elune created Xe'ra and the other Naaru, thus infusing them with her powers, then Alleria absorbed a Dark Naaru and thus a fraction of Elune's energies too.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I firmly believe that Blizzard is scrambling to create "new Lore" after Legion basically saw us reach the natural conclusion of the entire Warcraft story.

Really, "Elune" probably shouldn't even exist, or rather exist purely as a cultural belief by the Night Elves. I suspect the ORIGINAL plan was to have Elune as a "God/Goddess", essentially a creation of Eonar, second in power only to the Titans themselves.

The problem is, Legion introduced us to the Titans, and revealed they're all kind of a little bitch. So Blizzard starts scrambling, "wait, PLEASE DON'T GO, uhh, actually the Titans aren't the only Pantheon! There's, uhh, a a Pantheon of Death! Yeah! And, uhh, Elune is still a big, mysterious being!"

At this point, I fully expect Blizzard to explain "actually Elune is even MORE powerful than the Titans!", because they're just eager to do anything that keeps the universe going and getting "bigger", having already dealt with the Titans now.
    It has been speculated since vanilla that Elune was on a higher plane than the titans. Not exactly that blizzard came to that conclusion back in legion, they just confirmed it. In a world made out of mythology, there's always going to be that higher tier of power, because it's technically beyond the grasp of mortals, they don't know the full scope.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    This is all assuming that the tears of Elune have anything to do with Elune and aren't just a very pretty rock that the Night Elves found and named after their goddess.

On topic: I imagine Elune exists outside the cosmic powers as a separate entity or she is a First One. I see the similarities with the Void and the magic Tyrande wields but to me it seems more like her space magic is a starlit night sky, and the Void is the emptiness of space.

The Void lords
    The NIGHT warrior

There's a subtle difference there in my opinion that is highlighted in the colour schemes. The Night wells are black/light blue where as the Void is black/purple

If we really want to compare magic types the Moonwells' magic have far more in common with Drustvar witch es and their spells
    You forget the part that Elune turned Ysera into a constellation and then provided a new tears of Elune. It's definitely related to her.

The magic of Elune is shielding, burning fire, and healing. Sounds like Faith magic to me. That seems more like Pantheon of Light to me. If Priestess of Elune were all Druids that'd be another story. You don't see Tyrande turning into a Moonkin. If Tyrande, the highest of her order, doesn't have any grasp on Life magic, can we really say Elune's domain is Life? I think it's Faith - Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I firmly believe that Blizzard is scrambling to create "new Lore" after Legion basically saw us reach the natural conclusion of the entire Warcraft story.

Really, "Elune" probably shouldn't even exist, or rather exist purely as a cultural belief by the Night Elves. I suspect the ORIGINAL plan was to have Elune as a "God/Goddess", essentially a creation of Eonar, second in power only to the Titans themselves.

The problem is, Legion introduced us to the Titans, and revealed they're all kind of a little bitch. So Blizzard starts scrambling, "wait, PLEASE DON'T GO, uhh, actually the Titans aren't the only Pantheon! There's, uhh, a a Pantheon of Death! Yeah! And, uhh, Elune is still a big, mysterious being!"

At this point, I fully expect Blizzard to explain "actually Elune is even MORE powerful than the Titans!", because they're just eager to do anything that keeps the universe going and getting "bigger", having already dealt with the Titans now.
    Blizz had the "new lore" figured out before Legion launched, the first of the Chronicles details all this stuff about the different overlapping realms.

This is all assuming that the tears of Elune have anything to do with Elune and aren't just a very pretty rock that the Night Elves found and named after their goddess.
    It is you who are making an assumption, not me.

I'm not making an assumption because there's no reason not to believe the Tears of Elune are related to, you know, Elune. This is treated as a fact by the story, and even Khadgar, who does not worship Elune, dare not question whether that artifact is truly connected to Elune.

While you're making the assumption that the Night elves found a random rock and, like a bunch of primitives, named it after their goddess. That is an assumption. There is no evidence in the story about it.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

And then you look at the moonwell where she ascended to Night Warrior:

Which clearly has some resemblance to the Void aesthetics:

Namely the empty darkness right at the centre, and the surrounding shadow energies.

Certainly I can't be the only one who noticed it.
    Yes. Visually.
    They are different types in lore: Void being Shadow magic, Lunar being Arcane magic.

You need to differentiate between the empty void of space, which draws on emotions of despair, depression and fear, and which the Void forces use, and the Night Moon and Star-light, which brings about emotions of tranquility and peace, which the Priestess of the Moon use.

The Nightwell's colors are more akin to Ardenweald's night sky:

and the Night Warrior eyes are more akin to those of a Sylvar:
    Last edited by Unbelievable; 2021-01-06 at 10:25 AM.

I'm not making any assumptions, rather I'm speculating, I'm staying that someone like Khadgar CAN be wrong. Just as the Night Elves COULD be wrong. And no, it wouldn't be because they're primitive savages but rather because they're fiercely faithful and a rock that shines like moonlight might EASILY let ANYONE believe it to be associated with a literal moon goddess. However it might be purely coincidental and ten thousand years later might be so ingrained into 'common knowledge', things that people simply believe to be so because they've been conditioned to cognitively that noone, not even Khadgar is going to question it.

Just because something is treated by fact by lore characters doesn't mean it has to be.

If you really wanted to dispute my point you'd bring up that Elune provided a new or cleansed Tear of Elune after raising Ysera into a constellation. THAT would have proven your point. Instead you've pointe out that Khadgar wasn't suspicious of an ancient night elven artifact and I can't really say I expected him to be knowledgeable in that area.

I accept though ultimately that it IS related to Elune but only due to that reason, that the goddess seemed to have some sway over it, not because Khadgar or whoever didn't raise an eyebrow.
    So in short you're making a baseless assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
    Yes. Visually.
    Which has been my point all along, I'm very well aware that the Night Warrior also uses lunar abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    This makes a lot of sense and I like how you managed to make the different pieces of the puzzle fit.

But I also agree with some of the other posters here that Elune feels to be "outside the system" and her mysteriousness is one of the few things I still really like in WoW. I think if they ever come up with any explanation for her, it will be underwhelming, whatever explanation it is. I'd like her to stay a mystery.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that you mention it, Sargeras is kinda' oxymoronic as well. As in, he united = ordered a huge army in the name of wreaking chaos and disorder.
    Sargeras is still a being of order. His crusade was against the void, not order

I'm making an assumption, one not disputed by you, yes. Am assumption equally as base less as thinking that a Tear of Elune is related to Elune simply because it is called such, or because Khadgar didn't question an ancient Night Elven relic.

But do continue.
    Except I did. And it wasn't even hard, it took me like 1 sec.

No one in the story ever doubts the origins of the Tears of Elune. There is literally NO EVIDENCE that it's not connected to Elune. Thus, the Tears of Elune, like the name literally says, are connected to Elune.

As most people on this forum, you don't understand that a fictional story is not real life. If the writers of a fictional story don't put any seed of doubt whatsoever into something, it's because they don't want to create ambiguity. If no one ever poses any objections about the Tears of Elune's origins, it's because there aren't any doubts to be had about its origins.

You have yet to give ANY EVIDENCE whatsoever behind your assumption, which is thus baseless. It's pretty simple.

Don't reply to me until you find evidence, because otherwise I'd have to repeat myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Daronokk View Post
    You mean like this expansion already being a copy of the Burning Legion and the Void Lords?
    The Burning Legion doesn't have a Pantheon ressembling of the Shadowlands are structured. It's mainly a military force with Sargeras on top.

We don't know anything about how the Void is structured, what is the relation between Void Lords and Olds Gods and all of that.

The closest we have to the Pantheon of Death is the Titan Pantheon, with powerful beings in charge of specific aspect of how this world works.

Because what? No one's questioned it so it must be right?
    Yes, precisely. You finally understood how fictional stories work.

Otherwise why do you even refer to Elune as a "she"? Why are you assuming her gender? Because no one ever doubts that she is a woman? That's weak evidence.
    I'm surprised that you claim authority on what WoW's story is and what it isn't, I'd love to hear how that writing position at Blizzard is going.
    You are clearly disagreeing with the story Blizzard is telling if you think the Tears of -ELUNE- are not connected to -ELUNE-. And the proof that you are clearly opposing the absolute story written by Blizzard is that you failed to provide any miserable ounce of evidence to prove your baseless assumption.

Which has been my point all along, I'm very well aware that the Night Warrior also uses lunar abilities.
    Also? are you implying it uses Void, as well?
    By the way, other portals have star-light in them, too:

Jesus Christ what stories have you READ? Goodness me.

Blizzard isn't telling us ANYTHING. The Night Elves are, and they can only tell us what they know and that knowledge might be wrong.

Blizzard might be the writers but they're not the narrators. You seem to act as an authority on what is and isn't fictional story telling despite being mind numbling unaware of even the most basic things

I refer to Elune as a she not because she IS a she, but because I've been conditioned to by the speech community that worship her.

We don't KNOW that she is a she, all we know is that the Night Elves refer to her as a she because they BELIEVE so.

Night Elven culture MIGHT BE WRITTEN by Blizzard but that doesn't mean anything.

I'm not disagreeing with anything and I'm not saying that the Tears of Elune AREN'T connected to her. I'm saying that basing your entire argument around what the Night elves think is CLEARLY stupid because night elven knowledge ISN'T confirmation.

And like I said I don't need any evidence to say that the Tears of Elune isn't related to Elune, I know it is. But "Because people that worship her believe it so" similarly isn't a decent argument.
    You have way too much free time in your hands, like most people around here, and as a result you needlessly overcomplicate straightforward things. The trademark of MMO-Champion.

It's called Tears of Elune. So it's connected to Elune. Therefore Elune is connected to the Naaru, and thus to the Void too because the Naaru cyclically turn into Void creatures. Period. It's that simple.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2021-01-06 at 11:34 AM.

You have way too much free time in your hands, like most people around here, and as a result you needlessly overcomplicate straightforward things. The trademark of MMO-Champion.

It's called Tears of Elune. So it's connected to Elune. Therefore Elune is connected to the Naaru, and thus to the Void too because the Naaru cyclically turn into Void creatures. Period. It's that simple.
    Huh? Tears of Elune is a Titan artifact.
    You must mean Xera's core.

Huh? Tears of Elune is a Titan artifact.
    You must mean Xera's core.
    The Tears of Elune unlocked Xe'ra's core. Therefore Elune is connected to Xe'ra. Cue Khadgar theorizing that Elune created Xe'ra, since her Tears unlocked the Naaru's core.

I thought I could take all of this for granted, since I have been repeating this like 10 times throughout this thread, so I didn't explicitly mention Xe'ra's core.

According to the beliefs of the unreliable narrators of the Night Elves, yes.
    You know Blizzard writes the lore, right?

The Tears of Elune unlocked Xe'ra's core. Therefore Elune is connected to Xe'ra. Cue Khadgar theorizing that Elune created Xe'ra, since her Tears unlocked the Naaru's core.
    Just made sure to specify

At this point, Elune is Titanic, Naaruish, Voidish and Wild-godish which, is kind of absurd (like Me'dan).

I think when the time comes, she will be defined more accurately (with connection to those other forces).

Bruh, Xera's core is called Light's Heart.

It's not the Tears of Elune.
    No. he's right about that:

"The Tears of Elune were able to unlock Xe'ra's core, [Light's Heart], while it was stated by Velen that only a descendant of Xe'ra such as O'ros could do so. Moreover, the Pillars of Creation were created by the titan Pantheon, leaving Elune's identity, nature, and relationship with Xe'ra a mystery."
    Last edited by Unbelievable; 2021-01-06 at 11:55 AM.

Just made sure to specify

At this point, Elune is Titanic, Naaruish, Voidish and Wild-godish which, is kind of absurd (like Me'dan).

I think when the time comes, she will be defined more accurately (with connection to those other forces).
    I mean, I already specified that in my first post in this thread, where I explained everything in detail. I have been saying since the beginning that Elune is most likely an entity transcending the Light, Void, and Life, but people want to argue with me about useless things.