Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I still think Mantid most of all are pretty cool. Nerubians maybe. The humanoid royal aqir were also kind of neat. But for the bug ones we basically got them again in Nyalotha and it also feels like they're only active as villains when Old Gods are controlling them and we've done a lot of Old God stuff lately with Ghuun and Nzoth and Azshara and the Emerald Nightmare and Xalatath and Yshaarj and the Twilight Hammer and YogSarron and so on. We kind of only got an Old God break in BC and WoD. But I'd be happy to see Mantid like Klaxxi back as allies or enemies. It's a shame we broke them in Mists with them bending to the Heart and everything - but they seem to still go through new empresses as of Nyalotha, so they could still pop up again. New swarm cycles. And we did never see Ahn'Qiraj zone proper - and I think that'd be cool.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    No. It basically states multiple times throughout the various expansions since Vanilla (Cata, end of Legion, BfA) that the Silithid empire was more or less exterminated during the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj. The only thing left are a few remnant hives that have gone more or less feral with the extermination of C'Thun and the Royal's (The more humanoid Silithid).

It's why during the Vision's of N'Zoth patch we didn't even see a single Silithid despite seeing many Mantid and Aqir - What remains of the Silithid now are little more then giant, overgrown, aggressive insects without any higher reason at all.

To attempt to bring back the Silithid would require a retcon of previously existing lore.

However, the Aqir and the Mantid, while beaten in 8.3, were NOT exterminated outright, so both of them can become a recurring villian for future expansions.
    we all know blizzard refuses to retcon anything...

Why mess with a good thing?

They had their time to shine already and are remembered well. Why roll the dice with them?

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Why mess with a good thing?

They had their time to shine already and are remembered well. Why roll the dice with them?
    I think there was something really iconic about the War of the Shifting Sands.

They were big enough of a threat to get Dragons involved. It just seems like a bit of a missed opportunity that we didn't see them in their prime, and the only time we did face them it was all but completely dealt with. I was just thinking how cyclical other worldly threats have been like Elemental invasions coming back in Cata, Undead being dealt with time and time again or entire expansions based on the Burning Legion; but most of the Old God threat was almost purely about Old Gods or some other bug-like factions. I just really dig the idea that the Silithid and the Qiraji were as formidable as Nerubians. And as much as I like the Aqir, I think they have *too much* of an Old God influence to them whereas the Silithid are much more... primal.

And I really liked some of the new model revamps we've had over time for the Aqir and Mantids, but we never really get to see the Silithid in the same light since they're just demoted to feral beast status in the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I think there was something really iconic about the War of the Shifting Sands.

They were big enough of a threat to get Dragons involved. It just seems like a bit of a missed opportunity that we didn't see them in their prime, and the only time we did face them it was all but completely dealt with. I was just thinking how cyclical other worldly threats have been like Elemental invasions coming back in Cata, Undead being dealt with time and time again or entire expansions based on the Burning Legion; but most of the Old God threat was almost purely about Old Gods or some other bug-like factions. I just really dig the idea that the Silithid and the Qiraji were as formidable as Nerubians. And as much as I like the Aqir, I think they have *too much* of an Old God influence to them whereas the Silithid are much more... primal.

And I really liked some of the new model revamps we've had over time for the Aqir and Mantids, but we never really get to see the Silithid in the same light since they're just demoted to feral beast status in the lore.
    I think the Aqir and Mantids were essentially revisits of the Silithids, thematically. They had their distinctions, but they're the same general idea. The Silithid story is over, and it was a good one - particularly because there are so many blanks. To see something overexplained robs it of what made it special. It would be equivalent to the next entry in the Elder Scrolls explaining the disappearance of the Dwemer, bringing them back, maybe even making them playable, completely robbing them of what makes them intriguing in the first place.

Good writing tends to leave certain things unexplored because allowing the reader to connect things on their own results in a more personal connection to the material.

I think the Aqir and Mantids were essentially revisits of the Silithids, thematically.
    Totally agree here.

I chose Silithid in particular because they're the ideal 'Swarm' race with potential to go anywhere since they're out in the world and left as 'feral' beasts.

I really like what Blizzard did with the Mantid and portraying them as a legitimate threat. My only concern is that they're completely limited to Pandaria, and have zero presence in the world outside. They're the ideal threat, but only because they're a big fish in a small pond. I don't know how the lore would have them expanding to become any more than a nuisance to Pandaria; there's no legitimate world threat from these guys.

Aqir fit perfectly as the idea Silithid successors, and ARE a worldly threat. My issue with Aqir though is that they're completely and undeniably tied to Old Gods. Almost too-much so, especially with the tentacly-faced Aqir we've seen. I wanted to lean more towards keeping the pure-bug threats coming from a more natural and primitive means of worldly-threat, rather than be more pawns of Old God shenanigans. Don't get me wrong, I see absolute potential for Aqir showing up again and being ample representation of the whole Bug Swarm motif, I just think it's too tied to the Old God lore and that's the only way I'd see them appearing in the story; always as a part of the Old God frontline and sharing screentime with other Old God cronies like the N'raqi.

I intended the example of Silithid to be an independant future threat, kinda like the independent Naga factions or renegade Black Dragons who aren't solely serving the Old Gods. They'd just be primal agents of chaos elevated to Major Villain status. Give them a Queen that is freed from Old God influence by feeding on Azerite. Explain that the fel powers of Sargeras' sword severs the Old God connection to the Silithid Swarms. I don't see the Aqir or Mantid aspiring to this, since their themes and lore are utterly tied to the Old Gods.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-01-07 at 06:35 PM.

Totally agree here.

I chose Silithid in particular because they're the ideal 'Swarm' race with potential to go anywhere since they're out in the world and left as 'feral' beasts.

I really like what Blizzard did with the Mantid and portraying them as a legitimate threat. My only concern is that they're completely limited to Pandaria, and have zero presence in the world outside. They're the ideal threat, but only because they're a big fish in a small pond. I don't know how the lore would have them expanding to become any more than a nuisance to Pandaria; there's no legitimate world threat from these guys.

Aqir fit perfectly as the idea Silithid successors, and ARE a worldly threat. My issue with Aqir though is that they're completely and undeniably tied to Old Gods. Almost too-much so, especially with the tentacly-faced Aqir we've seen. I wanted to lean more towards keeping the pure-bug threats coming from a more natural and primitive means of worldly-threat, rather than be more pawns of Old God shenanigans. Don't get me wrong, I see absolute potential for Aqir showing up again and being ample representation of the whole Bug Swarm motif, I just think it's too tied to the Old God lore and that's the only way I'd see them appearing in the story; always as a part of the Old God frontline and sharing screentime with other Old God cronies like the N'raqi.

I intended the example of Silithid to be an independant future threat, kinda like the independent Naga factions or renegade Black Dragons who aren't solely serving the Old Gods. They'd just be primal agents of chaos elevated to Major Villain status. I don't see the Aqir or Mantid aspiring to this, due to their stronger connections to the Old Gods.
    We have seen Mantid on other Islands during BFA. It's not like they aren't and couldn't be present elsewhere. They could very well have other colonies on other landmasses we have yet to discover because of that island establishing it. And we know that the Cycle can be disrupted and made to go early with new figureheads as of Nyalotha so they aren't even forced to adhere to the same timer anymore. Which isn't to say that other colonies of Mantid even have to obey the Cycle in the first place - they very well don't have to as far as we know, because as we see on the Island Expedition the Mantid there are active.

Totally agree here.

I intended the example of Silithid to be an independant future threat, kinda like the independent Naga factions or renegade Black Dragons who aren't solely serving the Old Gods. They'd just be primal agents of chaos elevated to Major Villain status. Give them a Queen that is freed from Old God influence by feeding on Azerite. Explain that the fel powers of Sargeras' sword severs the Old God connection to the Silithid Swarms. I don't see the Aqir or Mantid aspiring to this, since their themes and lore are utterly tied to the Old Gods.
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing them in an expansion that actually takes some time to do some world building back on Azeroth.

I just don't see modern Blizzard ever doing that. They only touch on what is relevant to the plot, and the threats therein old grow grander and more esoteric with each passing expansion. "A bunch of bugs" isn't something I see them following "Titan Plus Plus Mega Satan" up with.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing them in an expansion that actually takes some time to do some world building back on Azeroth.

I just don't see modern Blizzard ever doing that. They only touch on what is relevant to the plot, and the threats therein old grow grander and more esoteric with each passing expansion. "A bunch of bugs" isn't something I see them following "Titan Plus Plus Mega Satan" up with.
    Well I don't mean necessarily has to be end-expansion level Mega villain; just a major villain overall. Have the new Hive Queen be a prominent lore figure. I'd say something like an early/mid expansion villain like Blood God G'huun,, Azshara, Ragnaros or the Black Dragons. This is opposed to comparable Quest-tier minor threats that the Silithid are already regarded as; NPC races like Drogbar, Sethrak, the Primals/Breakers etc. I don't think there's really anything that follows up Titan Plus Plus Mega Satan other than Void Lords; even Jailer is an unknown massively important super-power just because.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-01-07 at 07:33 PM.

Meh to me having bugs as a main villain would skirt too close to the Zerg in starcraft. So I can understand why it was never done.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

My gut tells me the next expansion is going to be a complete re-do of the old world (Cataclysm style) set after a 5 or 10 year time skip. Bringing the Silithids back would definitely help give southern Kalimdor a fun meta enemy to contend with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Possibly. Don't forget that there are COUNTLESS Old Gods out there. And I think that eventually they will find and invade Azeroth to avenge their fallen brothers.

Alleria after N'Zoth's defeat said that the whispers have actually worsened, with new voices joining the chorus. Perhaps N'Zoth's fall alerted the other Old Gods spread throughout the cosmos of Azeroth's location. They will come bringing their vast armies, among which there might be silithids.
    old gods dont like each other that way they dont care if one of em gets killed

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Meh to me having bugs as a main villain would skirt too close to the Zerg in starcraft. So I can understand why it was never done.
    They were a main villain in Classic and back then, Starcraft was way more relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightforged View Post
    They were a main villain in Classic and back then, Starcraft was way more relevant.
    Actually they weren't. C'thun was a main villain in Classic. That had as much ancient egyptian themes as anything else.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I'm not sure how much longer we can realistically stay on Azeroth. We might return to Azeroth with a timeskip because of how time functions in the Shadowlands which would bring lots of new threats, but I can't really see us staying in current Azeroth much longer, the threats are slowing up and there isn't really an unfound continent left to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Anything could be made into a major villain with effort and creativity from the writers.

So no, but not because they are Silithids, but because WoW writers - especially those responsible for the main story of the expansions - lack the actual dexterity to do so.
    Deathwing is a great example of a major villain that lacks any effort or creativity, so neither are necessary. It just takes slapping them on to the cover of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Deathwing is a great example of a major villain that lacks any effort or creativity, so neither are necessary. It just takes slapping them on to the cover of the box.
    Which was a real shame, considering he was previously one of the greatest "man-behind-the-curtain" manipulators in the franchise. I was excited to see what schemes he had going on behind the scenes... but there were none. Complete betrayal of the character.

Which was a real shame, considering he was previously one of the greatest "man-behind-the-curtain" manipulators in the franchise. I was excited to see what schemes he had going on behind the scenes... but there were none. Complete betrayal of the character.
    They distilled Deathwing down from being awesome manipulator to being big dumb crazy dragon.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    That's just you exaggerating. Deathwing required some creativity from the people who made the RTS, and the WoW people were quite good in making him iconic, with the silhouette, voice, etc. It was just his intellect and the overall plot that was subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
    I literaly just defeated Kael'thas for the third time last week

are we even playing the same game?
    You defeated Kael'thas by saving him? In the realm of the dead......

I'll give you some moments to think about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    That's just you exaggerating. Deathwing required some creativity from the people who made the RTS, and the WoW people were quite good in making him iconic, with the silhouette, voice, etc. It was just his intellect and the overall plot that was subpar.
    Deathwing in the novels: I am the senate!!!!!!

Deathwing in Cata: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Seriously though, if ultra insane Deathwing was just limited to Madness of Deathwing I would've been fine with it. That fight is basically saying that what was left of Neltharion is gone, all that remains is the corrupted husk created by N'zoth. Instead ultra insane Deathwing was all throughout Cata. Such a shame.