10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    Wasn't his term up on the 3rd? That's why there's only 99 Senators voting I thought.
    Oh, you are right. I didn't realize that Purdue stopped being a Senator on the 3rd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Is Purdue still in Quarantine or something? Haven't heard from him in a long time, but he was on the list of the 13 senators that was going to object. I guess he just isn't showing up for work since he got fired.
    His term expired before the runoff. He's not a senator anymore. Even if he had won, he wouldn't have been sworn in in time to actually object.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    That just doesn't seem to make sense to me. At this point he's inextricably linked with the Sedition of 2021. The Trump train is going off the rails and crashing spectacularly, why not just let it die and pick up the salvageable pieces afterwards? After today, it would seem to me that his political possibilities are mud.

I mean, the Trump train lost the Presidency and the Senate in this election. Why would anyone think that's a winning group at this point?
    They need that cult vote. I think it's stupid too.

10+ Year Old Account
    This asshole Republican from PA talking right now is whining about 'unequal application of the law' and specifically brought up ballot curing. It's not blue counties fault that red counties didn't put in the same effort to help voters fix their ballots to make sure they got counted.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

I'm baffled that the GOP house members are such pieces of shit. I mean, not really baffled for their attitude, but instead for their piss poor arguments.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I'm baffled that the GOP house members are such pieces of shit
    I've discovered why it's called the "lower house" today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I'm baffled that the GOP house members are such pieces of shit. I mean, not really baffled for their attitude, but instead for their piss poor arguments.
    House members are typically much safer then Senators, because for most of them, their districts are determined by partisan districting, which guarantees their reelection. Instead of being a more representative body then the senate, they are actually much less, because of this. My Representative for instance is completely bulletproof. So of course he is objecting, and it won't matter, because Republicans went from winning by 20%+ to merely winning by 16%. So he has several decades before he actually has to bother with reelection.

So they are free to go full crazy. And they do.

- - - Updated - - -

If I hear one more stupid story about Benjamin Franklin I am going to scream. Why does every single member of Congress repeat the same two (Certainly fabricated) stories about Benjamin Franklin like nobody else has heard it?

He doesn't instantly lose his seat. He still keeps it until the 20th. If it did work that way, you could bet Ossoff would be in his seat right now. The only one whose term ended early was McSally.
    Leoffler and McSally were the specials. McSally ended early because there was no need for another special. Leoffler will end when the GA certifies Warnock. Technically Brian Kemp could have sent someone as a temporary replacement for perdue, but I guess he figured Perdue would win, so 3 days wouldn't matter, or, Ossoff and it would be a couple weeks. The seat didn't need to be filled right now so till the GA certifies there will be 99 senators.

Stupid question but isn't Congress debating kinda pointless because the Senate has already rejected the objection?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    Stupid question but isn't Congress debating kinda pointless because the Senate has already rejected the objection?
    Absolutely. But not all of them have had their chance to speak yet and they want their brown-nosing points with Trump supporters.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    All of this is pointless, but some of these idiots think roleplaying a concerned GOP senator will gain them favor with the MAGA crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Leoffler and McSally were the specials. McSally ended early because there was no need for another special. Leoffler will end when the GA certifies Warnock. Technically Brian Kemp could have sent someone as a temporary replacement for perdue, but I guess he figured Perdue would win, so 3 days wouldn't matter, or, Ossoff and it would be a couple weeks. The seat didn't need to be filled right now so till the GA certifies there will be 99 senators.
    Wouldn't Purdue also have needed to be certified? It should have been the same amount of time for either Ossoff or Purdue, since they would have the requirements. I suppose Kemp could just have made Purdue his own temporary replacement to seat him a couple days earlier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Absolutely. But not all of them have had their chance to speak yet and they want their brown-nosing points with Trump supporters.
    I think both chambers have to pass it. If the house refuses to count the votes it still blocks certification of those votes. The house obviously won't pass the objection, but still.

It IS irrelevant because Georgia, Nevada, and Arizona have already been counted. Biden doesn't need Pennsylvania at this point (Although obviously he won it, and will receive the votes).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think both chambers have to pass it. If the house refuses to count the votes it still blocks certification of those votes. The house obviously won't pass the objection, but still.
    Both chambers have to pass the objection in order for the objection to count. Meaning that if only one chamber passes a vote to object, then the electoral votes still count. Since the Senate has already voted against the objection, the vote in the House is moot.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Both chambers have to pass the objection in order for the objection to count. Meaning that if only one chamber passes a vote to object, then the electoral votes still count. Since the Senate has already voted against the objection, the vote in the House is moot.
    Ah. Didn't realize either chamber could override the objection. That doesn't make much sense to me, but that wouldn't be the first time the government was weird. Seems like both houses of Congress should have to approve the vote.

SENATE: Hey, send a message to the House that we handled our shit in less than 20 minutes.
    Senate Clerk: ::Walks to the House Chamber::
    PELOSI: Sup, Clerk?
    Senate Clerk: We're done over there, so, hurry the fuck up.
    PELOSI: KTHX. For what purpose does the gentlewoman from wherever seek recognition?
    HOUSE LADY: I OBJECT TO THE OBJECTION! BIBLE! PRAYER! TINY BABY JEEBUS!
    PELOSI: Cool, let's keep arguing, then.

Seriously, fuck this.

- - - Updated - - -

If I hear one more stupid story about Benjamin Franklin I am going to scream. Why does every single member of Congress repeat the same two (Certainly fabricated) stories about Benjamin Franklin like nobody else has heard it?
    Pat Cammack is calling you out...

- - - Updated - - -

Ah. Didn't realize either chamber could override the objection. That doesn't make much sense to me, but that wouldn't be the first time the government was weird. Seems like both houses of Congress should have to approve the vote.
    The matter at hand is an Objection, not an Affirmation. And it's done this way so as to make sure that it is harder for the States, who oversee their own elections, to be trampled over by the Federal Government

10+ Year Old Account
    They do. Both chambers have to approve the objection for the objection to stand. The objection has to stand in order to invalidate the Electoral Vote certification for the state in question.

- - - Updated - - -

Crossposted from the main Trump thread...

I know these were posted earlier, but I thought they deserved to be combined:

These versions came from this CNN commentary.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It certainly could. I was looking at that post you put up earlier citing the relevant code. Numbers 2 and 3 sure seemed like what those MAGAts are doing. Rachel Maddow was pointing out that Merrick Garland is going to be very busy rounding up and prosecuting these terrorist.
    They got Norm Eisen on CNN former white house ethics tzar talking about this 100% being sedition and a number of other charges this falls on. So up to 20 years for all these goons plus more for every other charge. These guys ruined their entire lives today. Hope they all get max sentences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, finally. The House will now vote.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

What even is the time in DC right now?

I don't know why it's so hard to just tell the traitors to shut up.

Edit it's 2:30 right now.