Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

The Jailer: A completely ineffective villain

I put it to you that the Jailer is a completely ineffective villain. I really don't care about him because I don't find him threatening at all. He just seems like a generic, pantomime villain that I had never heard of before he was thrust at us. Who is he? Why should I care? Even now, several weeks into Shadowlands, we have no real backstory for him.

He just seems incompetenent because the first time we see him he's just monologuing generic lines while we escape his apparently inescapable Maw. Lorewise and gameplay wise we make a mockery of this mysterious villain walking in and out of his domain at will. What were Blizzard thinking?

ILLIDAN/KJ ->THE LICH KING -> Deathwing -> Garrosh -> Grommash-Archimonde (meh) -> Argus (meh, I guess) -> N'ZOTH

...The Jailer?
    Last edited by Season2mask; 2021-01-07 at 01:46 PM.

I do agree tbh. What's shown in the expansion doesn't sell him very well. They defo could have teased more of his backstory at launch to get player slightly interested.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ok

/10char
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Ok

/10char
    Glad you agree.

(Imagine bothering to write 'Ok' in a thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    I put it to you that the Jailer is a completely ineffective villain.
    Opinion presented as fact.

I really don't care about him because
    Opinion.

I don't find him threatening at all.
    Opinion.

Let's see what actually happens throughout the entire expansion, when we have the entire storyline available, before judging him one way or the other.

It seems to me everything that's happening is because he wants it that way, right down to us escaping the inescapable Maw.

Part of the problem is that he didn't exist before. They've been writing IOUs for Sylvanas' motivations for a couple of expansions now, and with the shenanigans she pulled in BfA the players needed to cash those IOUs in, or the memes would destroy the game.

The Jailer is supposedly this 9D chess player, everything that has ever happened on Azeroth is supposedly by his design, Frostmourne (and the lich king) is now from the shadowlands.. I guess that's fine - I just wish he'd gotten some mentions before - he's literally Satan, you'd think people would form Jailer cults and make metal music in his name.

I hope there will be some sort of plot twist and that he is actually the chess player blizz makes him out to be. If we just roflstomp him it's going to be silly.
    I would also like to see Shadowreaper Anduin (from hearthstone - "The light has betrayed me!"), but I don't think he'll die permanently (possibly light reincarnation like Calia).

Could have used the expac pre-patch to get information and have people care about him at all

The expansion practically beats us over the head with the notion that his motivations and goals are going to be a lot more complex than they initially seem. I think its more than obvious that he was the original arbiter and the others disagreed with his judgement and banished him.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The expansion practically beats us over the head with the notion that his motivations and goals are going to be a lot more complex than they initially seem. I think its more than obvious that he was the original arbiter and the others disagreed with his judgement and banished him.
    Because you see, the special sauce has 11 magical ingredients!

Well, if they go with the way they are telling the story in BfA with Nzoth, he will just die randomly in one patch and never be looked back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post

Opinion.

Opinion.

Let's see what actually happens throughout the entire expansion, when we have the entire storyline available, before judging him one way or the other.
    It never ceases to amuse me that people reply to threads with, 'yeah but that's just like your opinion, man'

Of course it's my opinion. Forums are made for discussion.

You'd think my use of the word, 'I', that you've put in bold would maybe tip you off to the fact that it is MY opinion. I'M not YOU.

Maybe it would have helped if he had his original model rather than this bald emo dude with his Squidward face

Who cares whether you demm something "threatening", we know we're gonna win always anyway. There's really nothing to discuss here, that is just subective.

Jailer is THE most retarded looking NPC in wow history.

And, what is Blizzard's obsession with man nipples??? Jailer is not even human ffs.

Blizzard can't come with a more original and better model? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post

Opinion.

Opinion.

Opinion... I agree. What weve seen so far the things weve done for our garris... i mean covenants... hell even going into the tower itself... the jailer is who exactly lol
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

3+ Year Old Account
    He looks like a dork to me, and I have a hard time taking an evil bald guy seriously lol
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenaut View Post
    Part of the problem is that he didn't exist before. They've been writing IOUs for Sylvanas' motivations for a couple of expansions now, and with the shenanigans she pulled in BfA the players needed to cash those IOUs in, or the memes would destroy the game.

The Jailer is supposedly this 9D chess player, everything that has ever happened on Azeroth is supposedly by his design, Frostmourne (and the lich king) is now from the shadowlands.. I guess that's fine - I just wish he'd gotten some mentions before - he's literally Satan, you'd think people would form Jailer cults and make metal music in his name.
    Tbf, we did know that the Nathrezim had Frostmourne and the Domination Helm forged "somewhere," but I don't think it was ever really stated where that was until now.

Of course it's my opinion. Forums are made for discussion.
    And discussions do not consist of people posting their opinions, but making arguments. You're not giving us a whole lot to discuss here.

I'd say he's not at all inefficient - so far everything seems to be going his way. He's inscrutable because we have next to no information on what he is even doing, why, or what his goals are.

Illidan had no story in bc. It was just "he is famous, give him loot, let say that he is mad, let's go kill him".

Arthas was a joke in WOTLK. Multiple "Ho the hero that defeated my plans many times allready, I will not kill you, I will let that one guy kill you while I turn my back and walk away slowly." to the grand final "ahahaha I let the 25 of you kill all my greateast champion one by one so I could kill you and make you my new champions!".

Deathwing at least destroyed Stormwind. The only one who actually affected the world? And he burned down zones from time to time.

Garrosh was written à la Jaina (but less). Changing him depending of what they wanted to do with the story.

Archimonde/Argus were last boss, but it was more about Guldan. Actually one they did not butcher and who did things.

So I'd go with Guldan >>> Deathwing/Garrosh >>> the rest
    Last edited by Tarba; 2021-01-07 at 02:29 PM.