Performance Help

So, as the title suggests I am having some performance related issues that I could really use some help with; also I am by no means tech savvy at all so I apologize if some of the information I am requesting is common knowledge, or if I don't fully understand what you may be asking me to do.

My computer was a pre-built (yes I know some of you just died inside) and was purchased in mid 2017. It is running

I7-7700k OC to 4.75
    GTX 1080
    16g 2400 Ram

I've always had extremely long boot times (my OS was on a HDD) so a few days ago I purchased a SSD Samsung Evo 860 500GB and a Samsung M.2 970 Evo Plus 1TB. After literally an entire day of youtubing and googling how to install and setup everything I was finally able to boot on my M.2 with a 5 second cold boot time so yay there! However, I noticed that my computer does not recognize my second monitor anymore. I have tried updating my graphics driver and reinstalling them but it doesn't work and nowhere in any windows setting can I even see my monitor being recognized. So, some help there would be appreciated, I'm sure it's something small and stupid.

MY MAIN CONCERN of performance comes from in game. I mainly play WoW and OW and I know my hardware should be more then capable of handling those two. Earlier this year, I started noticing a drastic FPS decrease in both games as well as noticeable screen tear right down the center of my screen in WoW in certain areas, and consistently in those areas (I.E Maldraxxus and Plaguefall, as well as EVERY load screen). My FPS also tanks significantly while this is happening, dropping as low as 30-45 FPS while the screen is tearing and then goes back up to 120-144 FPS when the screen has no tear. I did some research and thought maybe it was an overheating problem, so I went to my local Micro Center and talked with some guys there. Now, 100% I know they up-sold me but it made sense to me. They recommended liquid cooling (NZXT Kraken x62) a new case (Lancool II Mesh) and they were also the reason I got the M.2 as well. I installed all of this, including switching the case and parts over, on my own but I noticed no difference. I still get screen tear and big performance drops in those areas (there are other areas, those are just the two that come to mind).

I looked through my BIOS and noticed that my CPU is running at 82-86 degrees, which seems really high for pretty much being idol and having 6 fans in the case and liquid cooling (I also just reapplied fresh thermal paste prior to installing the new liquid cooling). My SSD and M.2 are at 20 degrees and my graphics card is around 60 degrees. So I'm not sure if my issues are still somehow an overheating issue or if it's something else. I apologize about the wall of text, I just wanted to give as much information as possible. I appreciate anyone who tries to help!

Edit: Did a restart on my PC and my temps seem a lot better, however I am still having issues with FPS dips and screen tear in those areas. The attached screenshot is taken from NZXT Cam while inside Plaguefall.

In-game, inside Plaguefall with screen tear and FPS dips
    https://i.imgur.com/dM1IcNx.png

Idol with only discord running
    https://i.imgur.com/61ZOl2L.png
    Last edited by Emaias; 2021-01-06 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) You didn't get upsold, you got played. Neither of those would or will help the original issue, but w/e
    2) That's pretty hot for idle. I'd say there's definitely a heat issue present if its idling at that. Thermal paste maybe? Might need to re-attach the heatsink from the unit, which is significantly harder to manage on a water cooled setup.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    1) You didn't get upsold, you got played. Neither of those would or will help the original issue, but w/e
    2) That's pretty hot for idle. I'd say there's definitely a heat issue present if its idling at that. Thermal paste maybe? Might need to re-attach the heatsink from the unit, which is significantly harder to manage on a water cooled setup.
    I did a restart and my temps cooled down after for some reason, literally changed nothing. I updated my post with an edit that gives a screenshot on my temps while in game. A lot cooler, but still having FPS dips and screen tear. I also did forget to mention I just reapplied new thermal paste prior to installing the new water cooler. I'll add that to the original post

Yeah, CPU should definitely not be over 70 degrees unless you're running a stress test or something. If it's overheating, then either the fan (or water cooler, in this case) is crap, or it's not attached properly to the CPU.

For the screen tearing, isn't there an option in graphics settings (in WoW) that specifically mentions to enable it if you get screen tearing?

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yeah, CPU should definitely not be over 70 degrees unless you're running a stress test or something. If it's overheating, then either the fan (or water cooler, in this case) is crap, or it's not attached properly to the CPU.

For the screen tearing, isn't there an option in graphics settings (in WoW) that specifically mentions to enable it if you get screen tearing?
    I checked the mounting and it definitely seems secure so I'm not sure how it would be overheating that much. The PC rests under my desk by my feet and honestly, it's pushing out so much cool air after the upgrades (case + more fans and new CPU cooler) that my feet and lower legs are actually cold and I had to put on warmer pants and slippers.

As far as in game settings go, I did go through and I enabled anything related to screen tearing. It did not make a difference and it's still only in some areas, not all the time, but in those areas it's consistent and not "Maybe it'll do it this time." For example I know every single time I load into Plaguefall I will have noticeable screen tear, but if I go into say Halls of Atonement, I know I will have nothing.

How do you have the rad mounted, front or top?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things I see. Firstly the temps in the bios being that high are normal as the BIOS doesn't idle the CPU. When you boot into an OS is when the CPU can idle. Also keep in mind you have an Intel and reaching 90C+ even with a AIO cooler is normal as well, under load. I would keep an eye on the clock speed with CPU-Z and watch to make sure the clock speed stays consistent and doesn't bounce down and up. if it does then you have a cooling issue. The ram is what I'd look at because XMP profiles suck. Just because it works at 2400 doesn't mean it works well. If the memory isn't stable you might get stutters. I would lower the clock speed on the memory to 1600 if DDR3 or 2133 if DDR4, and while you're at it remove the OC on the CPU as well. If things work better then you may want to run memtest86 to confirm that at these settings the system is stable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Also keep in mind you have an Intel and reaching 90C+ even with a AIO cooler is normal as well, under load.
    I wouldn't call 90C normal even with an Intel. I'm running a 10700K with an air cooler (albeit a beefy one: NH-D15) and my CPU stays at 70+ celcius during load. Highest I've seen was 75C during intensive and long gaming session. 30 - 40C in idle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    I wouldn't call 90C normal even with an Intel. I'm running a 10700K with an air cooler (albeit a beefy one: NH-D15) and my CPU stays at 70+ celcius during load. Highest I've seen was 75C during intensive and long gaming session. 30 - 40C in idle.
    I do believe your cooler is better than the NZXT Kraken x62. AIO coolers are not what they're cracked up to be. Also remember he's overclocking to 4.75Ghz which will bring up temps. Like I said, remove the overclock and lower the memory clock to the lowest possible setting. If the stutters goes away then I would look into temps and ram stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I do believe your cooler is better than the NZXT Kraken x62. AIO coolers are not what they're cracked up to be. Also remember he's overclocking to 4.75Ghz which will bring up temps. Like I said, remove the overclock and lower the memory clock to the lowest possible setting. If the stutters goes away then I would look into temps and ram stability.
    X62 is a lot better. Also, 4.75GHz is not a very big overclock for a 7700K.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Emaias View Post
    I checked the mounting and it definitely seems secure so I'm not sure how it would be overheating that much. The PC rests under my desk by my feet and honestly, it's pushing out so much cool air after the upgrades (case + more fans and new CPU cooler) that my feet and lower legs are actually cold and I had to put on warmer pants and slippers.

As far as in game settings go, I did go through and I enabled anything related to screen tearing. It did not make a difference and it's still only in some areas, not all the time, but in those areas it's consistent and not "Maybe it'll do it this time." For example I know every single time I load into Plaguefall I will have noticeable screen tear, but if I go into say Halls of Atonement, I know I will have nothing.
    Sounds like a usual case of AIO (pump) bugging out and slowing down or not working at all and actually working on the next restart/boot, especially on the first boot/first couple of days boots, have seen it happen with a H100i also back in the day a couple of times and i think one H80 v2, never had any other issues after that.

Secondary, the screen tear.

Nvidia is mega fucking up with their newest drivers and its causing all sort of mega issues especially on 1080/1080 Ti, check your drivers,if you are at 460 version and above, you need to go back to 457 ones.

I also been having random flickering/flashes as example in Oribos and Mists with a 2070 Super for no fucking reason.

Your screenshot temps are normal for a 7700K in which i can guess 1.25V to 1.28V?

People with low knowledge tend to forget that 6000/7000 series are hotter than they should cause of shit internal paste and deliding was the way to go for serious OC.

Although Kraken x62 is complete overkill either way and yes, you overpaid some parts but good news, you can always carry them with you on the next build so no harm down.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-01-08 at 04:10 PM.

Mem speed has a huge effect on WoW performance. Going from 2400 to 4000 gave me a greater performance boost than CPU or GPU upgrades. Since you live close to microcenter you could just go ask them for their cheapest 4000 (remember to enable xmp), and if you don't notice a change you can return it. I don't know about the screen tear but it should help your fps.