Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    In other words, Trump will not be removed before inauguration day.
    Yeah i was reading about this this morning. Without unanimous consent it wouldn't do anything, and there is a major theoretical pitfall, because in theory they'd be forced to take this up in the Biden administration, which could dampen plans to get actual relief and aid out to stop this pandemic. but it's theoretical, and likely won't happen but it was a concern of Adam Schiff. They'll just dismiss it in the first few hours my guess.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2021-01-09 at 02:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    But if he was impeached he wouln't be able to run in 2024, is that right? If so it would certainly still hold value.
    Allegedly he also would not be entitled to the benefits he would receive as a former President if he is impeached and then found guilty by the Senate. @Breccia and @cubby might know more about that though.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    But if he was impeached he wouln't be able to run in 2024, is that right? If so it would certainly still hold value.
    If he's impeached AND removed, then he loses the 200k a year salary, SS detail and cannot run in 2024. So yes, it's still worth it to pursue. It's just still very unlikely that anything will come of it.

I'm not particularly worried that he'll be able to run in 2024 anyway. Something tells me he'll have his tiny hands full.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    If he's impeached and removed. Impeachment by itself does very little, as we've already seen.
    It’s worth looking into what happens if he’s impeached and there’s then 51+ votes to find him guilty. He’s obviously already out office, but if he’s found guilty, what does that do?

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    If he's impeached and removed. Impeachment by itself does very little, as we've already seen.
    And then only if the Senate decides to prevent him from running again; it's not automatic.

It's been pointed out, though, that sanctioning him under Article 3 of the 14th Amendment would accomplish the same goal with less fuss. The goal of removing him from office early would be to A) prevent him from doing any more damage and B) set a precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    It’s worth looking into what happens if he’s impeached and there’s then 51+ votes to find him guilty. He’s obviously already out office, but if he’s found guilty, what does that do?
    Not much; it'd mostly be symbolic at that point. Per the Constitution, conviction removes him from office and the only other penalty they are allowed to levy is preventing him from holding office again in the future
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-01-09 at 02:53 AM.

Strips him of benefits that all ex-Presidents receive and ensures he can't run again.

66 or 67+, not sure which - House impeachment just requires a majority, Senate finding him guilty requires 2/3s ... so I guess that would be 67 (though I remember discussion of who are the *16* republicans that might get him removed).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    NO. No they didn't. Come on, man.

Twitter banned an official government channel from using non-governmental use. Non-government use, I might add, directly attacking the service it was on.

Twitter did not ban government tweets. Trump wasn't making those. I'm going to assume that you're celebrating on a Friday night to explain this lapse.
    Sounds even more badass when worded like that.

Also more breaking news - I have just been informed that DJT has also been banned from my neighborhoods grouptext. One anonymous user replied, "...so anyways". More details as the story unfolds.

- - - Updated - - -

He doesn't get to live off our tax money for the rest of his life.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

5+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry mr.president, the boss has a new job for you.

As far as I recall it’s a super majority to remove him from office. I’m unsure if a simple majority does anything at all apart from like you guys said, being symbolic.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    If he's impeached AND removed, then he loses the 200k a year salary, SS detail and cannot run in 2024. So yes, it's still worth it to pursue. It's just still very unlikely that anything will come of it.

I'm not particularly worried that he'll be able to run in 2024 anyway. Something tells me he'll have his tiny hands full.
    He can't run again if the Senate imposes that penalty. I'm not sure why they wouldn't but it's not automatic. There is a federal judge that was impeached and removed but he is not serving in congress as a rep.

not clicking stupid RT but that thumbnail is really cringe if they want to call it deepfake. The Southpark guys do the deepfake more convicingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I recall it’s a super majority to remove him from office. I’m unsure if a simple majority does anything at all apart from like you guys said, being symbolic.
    Another symbolic condemnation on the way out is fine by me. And if it comes to a vote in the senate, we can get on record which senators are still saying "nah I think this Trump guy is alright."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    not clicking stupid RT but that thumbnail is really cringe if they want to call it deepfake. The Southpark guys do the deepfake more convicingly.
    so judge a video you didn't even watch, lol>?

He can't lose the secret service protection since he's supposed to know stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Another symbolic condemnation on the way out is fine by me. And if it comes to a vote in the senate, we can get on record which senators are still saying "nah I think this Trump guy is alright."
    Will be the usual suspects of Hawley, Cruz and co. The scum of the earth, basically.

Hawley looks like a Ken doll gone far right.

You know it’s bad when Tom Cotton is like...shit, I’m gonna swerve that dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    so judge a video you didn't even watch, lol>?
    It's RT, so yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will be the usual suspects of Hawley, Cruz and co. The scum of the earth, basically.

Again, absolutely fine with me. It should be absolute dynamite political fuel to fling in their faces when they're up for reelection.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    It's RT, so yeah.
    what has video editing got to do with how you feel about news source? those are two different things.

I appreciated Seth Meyers last night, side by side of Hawley and Patrick Bateman and then did a side by side of Hawley and Himself.