Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Please explain this stat weight to me (frost DK)

I ran my DK through raidbots on their simbot because I wanted to know how I personally should be looking for ways to improve myself. I'm just really confused at what the analysis means though. Using the image below, does that mean that mastery should be increased because it has the 1.12 value while haste is right behind it and then crit a little after that and vers not that far behind it? I get that weapon dps & strength are going to yield the biggest increase for me as that's generally how things go for dps but its the secondaries that confuse me.

Basically mastery on every item and the second isn't a deal breaker. Not sure what you are asking. If you can plug in your own stats inflate your own values and resim to see where say 30%mastery or haste falls off and others shoot up. That might be a good chart to follow for the first tier but the more you get something will shift in value. Enough to change the order? Just resim every few items. And see if something drops. Mastery should stay best imo but we'll just have to see how next tiers stats inflate
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

10+ Year Old Account
    Use top gear, stat weights are a thing of the past.

But to answer your question - these numbers is amount of DPS you'll get by improving this stat
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

To me it seems that every stat you have is almost of the same value, so ilvl >>>>>>>>>mastery>=the others

it tells you at the bottom what the numbers mean. 1 point of weapon dps will increase your dps by 9.19. 1 off hand weapon dps will increase your dps by 3.21, 1 point of str will increase your dps by 2.67, etc.

It means each point of mastery will give you more dps than the others. It fluctuates as you change gear and isn't entirely helpful to know, but of for some reason you have some choice between mastery or other stats, pick mastery. Such as a socket or food buff.

Keep in mind tho, there's different sim options. You most likely did patchwerk which is pure single target no movement. Theres different options to give you a look at stat priorities in dif scenarios. Such as hectic add cleave.

On my frost dk with my gear, mastery is best all around. After mastery, crit is good for ST, haste is good for cleave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, just download the addon "Pawn" and copypaste the result in there and you will automatically see ingame which items are better.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I ran my DK through raidbots on their simbot because I wanted to know how I personally should be looking for ways to improve myself. I'm just really confused at what the analysis means though. Using the image below, does that mean that mastery should be increased because it has the 1.12 value while haste is right behind it and then crit a little after that and vers not that far behind it? I get that weapon dps & strength are going to yield the biggest increase for me as that's generally how things go for dps but its the secondaries that confuse me.

What's confusing about it? It's pretty self explanatory. Strength is better than mastery, which is marginally better than haste, crit and vers at your current stat levels

Also stat weights are useless. Just run top gear and don't both with stat weights ever again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Falling View Post
    Also, just download the addon "Pawn" and copypaste the result in there and you will automatically see ingame which items are better.
    Lol no. Delete Pawn, it is completely irrelevant and inaccurate

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    What's confusing about it? It's pretty self explanatory. Strength is better than mastery, which is marginally better than haste, crit and vers at your current stat levels

Also stat weights are useless. Just run top gear and don't both with stat weights ever again

- - - Updated - - -

Lol no. Delete Pawn, it is completely irrelevant and inaccurate
    Pawn is only as accurate as the stat weights you put into it. If his stat weights come from a recent sim, there's no problem with using PAWN in game as a quick guide.

So that translates to strength and weapon damage being your best stat, so basically ilvl > all at those values and yes mastery then haste.

As advised above this is only applicable to your current gear, if you get a piece of gear say a nice big mastery haste ring, these weights will change.

Usually I will sim for top gear, then set my stat weights and wait for a drop (which pawn will accurately detect) thereafter repeat the sim and stat weight exercise.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    With your weights?

Here's the TLDR;

Take the highest iLvL you can get your hands on, and enchant/gem mastery. Your stat weights are close enough that they're pretty much all equal anyways. If you have the choice between the same iLvL pieces, go with the stats in the order that you listed.

Something to keep in mind is that stat weights aren't exactly static. So check your stat weights every so often to see how things have shifted, mastery might get usurped at some point for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Invispoet View Post
    Pawn is only as accurate as the stat weights you put into it. If his stat weights come from a recent sim, there's no problem with using PAWN in game as a quick guide.
    And the second you compare another piece of gear, pawn becomes useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Invispoet View Post
    I mostly use pawn to decide whether to bother simming something. Never rely on the default weights, though. They're complete bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    And the second you compare another piece of gear, pawn becomes useless.
    There's a wide ocean between "not perfect" and "useless". It's useful as a tool to determine whether something is worthy of closer examination when calibrated correctly, it's not really suitable to be the sole determinator of what constitutes an upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do believe ilvl over all. A bit tin foil theory here. ilvl had to have hidden stats imo. Math is pwned by ilvl every freakin time. I could get bis stats items with for example 220/223ilvl but 226ilvl is beating all to the ground with anystat on it.

Quote Originally Posted by czarek View Post
    I do believe ilvl over all. A bit tin foil theory here. ilvl had to have hidden stats imo. Math is pwned by ilvl every freakin time. I could get bis stats items with for example 220/223ilvl but 226ilvl is beating all to the ground with anystat on it.
    Ilvl has no hidden stats. You need to sim yourself. A lot of the time a higher ilvl piece will be better because of primary stat increases, but that's not always the case if the secondary stats are garbage. Calculations>intuition every time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post

Stat weights tell you how much DPS you're going to gain per point of each stat, based on adding 238 of that stat.

They're a snapshot of how stat changes will affect your DPS based on your current gear, which is useful to get an understanding of what stats you currently need, but there's a caveat:

Never use stat weights to decide if an upgrade is better or worse. Sim yourself.

The problem is that if you replace a piece of gear, your stat weights are going to change. The old stat weights are no longer relevant, and it could be that because you dropped stats A & B for stats B & C, your weights have now changed wildly because all of your stats interact with one another. Basically if you blindly follow your stat weights you can easily end up losing DPS. If you use pawn, you can see this happening when you equip gear the addon marks as an upgrade, sim yourself again, and find that the gear you just replaced is now an upgrade. It's a feedback loop.

Tl;dr - Don't worry about the stat weights. They're interesting as a rough indicator, but if you want to know if something is an upgrade, run a Top Gear sim to see how it actually affects your DPS.

99% of the time ilvl wins. More main stat which is usually worth ~3x as much as any secondary. And more total secondary points on top of that to help overcome any weights. Only time ilvl doesn't win is when its on jewelry and its your 2 best stats vs your 2 worst on only a 3 ilvl upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    Ilvl has no hidden stats. You need to sim yourself. A lot of the time a higher ilvl piece will be better because of primary stat increases, but that's not always the case if the secondary stats are garbage. Calculations>intuition every time.

- - - Updated - - -

Stat weights tell you how much DPS you're going to gain per point of each stat, based on adding 238 of that stat.

They're a snapshot of how stat changes will affect your DPS based on your current gear, which is useful to get an understanding of what stats you currently need, but there's a caveat:

Never use stat weights to decide if an upgrade is better or worse. Sim yourself.

The problem is that if you replace a piece of gear, your stat weights are going to change. The old stat weights are no longer relevant, and it could be that because you dropped stats A & B for stats B & C, your weights have now changed wildly because all of your stats interact with one another. Basically if you blindly follow your stat weights you can easily end up losing DPS. If you use pawn, you can see this happening when you equip gear the addon marks as an upgrade, sim yourself again, and find that the gear you just replaced is now an upgrade. It's a feedback loop.

Tl;dr - Don't worry about the stat weights. They're interesting as a rough indicator, but if you want to know if something is an upgrade, run a Top Gear sim to see how it actually affects your DPS.
    When running the top gear sim, be sure to run it a couple times. 1 on patchwerk. 1 on hectic add cleave. And if u really want, 1 on dungeon slice beta. I see too many ppl running the sim on patchwerk and applying those findings to an m+ on fortified week lol

no hidden stats, it's because main stat is so valuable now compared to previous expansions

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    There's a wide ocean between "not perfect" and "useless". It's useful as a tool to determine whether something is worthy of closer examination when calibrated correctly, it's not really suitable to be the sole determinator of what constitutes an upgrade.
    It's miles away from 'not perfect', perfect and pawn should not be in the same sentence.

There is no reason to use it when gearcompare is a thing in raidbots.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    99% of the time ilvl wins. More main stat which is usually worth ~3x as much as any secondary. And more total secondary points on top of that to help overcome any weights. Only time ilvl doesn't win is when its on jewelry and its your 2 best stats vs your 2 worst on only a 3 ilvl upgrade.
    Pretty much this. A 200 piece with 40 main stat and 35 of X and Y is going to be superior 99% of the time to a 190 piece with 35 main stat and 31 of anything, no matter the weighting of the secondaries.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    When getting an ilvl upgrade, there are only 3 pieces of loot worth simming - Trinket (Because your 210 BiS trinket may be better then a 226 mediocre trinket), Neck, and Rings (Because those do not have any primary stats, only secondary stats, meaning that ilvl may not be king depending on class, spec, and stat distribution)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.