Poll: Should Parler be deplatformed?

Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Parler is now gone from Google store.
    if someone already has it will it still work or no?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Now that we have outright monopolies that are arms of the National Security State, yes, giving them unchecked and unaccountable power to regulate speech on top of spying on the entire public seems like a logical step that we've all more or less gone in for. Not wanting to grant total power over discourse and speech to small cabal of tech oligarchs is.... ummm Fascism?.... or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    You can just click the link and you're on the website. It's an independent website.
    Web application*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord View Post
    if someone already has it will it still work or no?
    Dumdums that dont know how to use safari or chrome will be SoL.

people will also still be able to use Parler via web browsers on their phones or computers.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    Dumdums that dont know how to use safari or chrome will be SoL.
    seems largely symbolic then.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    rofl, it's gone from google play store, but parlor app still exists which seems like another social media app that functions completely differently than parler but uses all the same fonts and everything trying to trick these dumbfucking people to download it and enjoy all the ad's.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe just gone in the states?
    Sounds like it, they're just shutting the red hats down so they don't do any more damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    seems largely symbolic then.
    Ya this whole thread framed the original article as one big troll.

I'd like to thank my fine arts and liberal art degrees for teaching me the value of reading.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Now that we have outright monopolies that are arms of the National Security State, yes, giving them unchecked and unaccountable power to regulate speech on top of spying on the entire public seems like a logical step that we've all more or less gone in for. Not wanting to grant total power over discourse and speech to small cabal of tech oligarchs is.... ummm Fascism?.... or something like that.
    Again more spewed nonsense from you thus revealing everything you been called on.

These are Private Companies and individuals who are deciding to disassociate themselves from Alt-Right fucking terrorist. They aren't being punished, people are exercising their right to tell these lunatics to fuck off.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

This is EXACTLY WHAT CONSERVATIVES HAVE BEEN CALLING FOR. Section 230. Make the publishers Google and Apple responsible for the content on their platforms. Google and Apple see massive amounts of Nazi MAGAs planning a bloody insurrection on Parler, Google and Apple can't edit the Parler content to remove it so they remove the app from their platform. CONFUCKINGGRATULATIONS CONVERSATIVES. You got the internet censorship you have been asking for. You guys finally won something. But yet, on Fox News and Right Wing media and r/Conservative they are all crying. But it wouldn't be a politically discussion without conservatives crying victim, now would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    This is EXACTLY WHAT CONSERVATIVES HAVE BEEN CALLING FOR. Section 230. Make the publishers Google and Apple responsible for the content on their platforms. Google and Apple see massive amounts of Nazi MAGAs planning a bloody insurrection on Parler, Google and Apple can't edit the Parler content to remove it so they remove the app from their platform. CONFUCKINGGRATULATIONS CONVERSATIVES. You got the internet censorship you have been asking for. You guys finally won something. But yet, on Fox News and Right Wing media and r/Conservative they are all crying. But it wouldn't be a politically discussion without conservatives crying victim, now would it?
    No, it's not. This is companies choosing not to work with people they don't want to support, not the government holding social platforms responsible for all their users' content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    idk, maybe its good having them in mostly one place for the fbi to monitor.
    This.

And also, they do have a right to free speech. While I do applaud Twitter for (finally, and too late) taking down Trump's account, it is up to the platform's discretion, not the government (because of the 1st Amendment) to provide these people a platform or not. Parlor unfortunately will continue to host these twerps.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    No, it's not. This is companies choosing not to work with people they don't want to support, not the government holding social platforms responsible for all their users' content.
    Thats kind of his point, its the same result these idiots dont get it. If 230 falls google store app is now giving people access to an app where terrorist activities are planned and discussed. They will get banned even quicker lol.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2021-01-09 at 05:50 AM.

The only platform valid for those that promote and grift upon violence and hatred is an 5x5 prison cell.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Thats kind of his point, its the same result these idiots dont get it. If 230 falls google store app is now giving people access to an app where terrorist activities are planned and discussed. They will get banned even quicker lol.
    There's a difference between gov't enforced limitations on speech and private limitations on speech. One has the power to put you in prison, the other doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    How would you a deplatform an independent website?
    If Parler does not outright own the data centre they're operating out of, they can be deplatformed by the host they're renting server capacity from.

I've no real interest in digging into the specifics of that matter, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    If Parler does not outright own the data centre they're operating out of, they can be deplatformed by the host they're renting server capacity from.

I've no real interest in digging into the specifics of that matter, but yeah.
    They're hosted by AWS, so yeah, they don't own their data center.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    They're hosted by AWS, so yeah, they don't own their data center.
    In that case, it's simply a matter of whether Amazon cares enough about their presence on AWS to do the same as Google and Apple, cause Parler not stamping down on their users organising insurrection and sedition on there is definitely in breach of the terms of service.

https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/
    1.4. In connection with your use of the Services, you are responsible for maintaining licenses and adhering to the license terms of any software you run. If we reasonably believe any of Your Content violates the law, infringes or misappropriates the rights of any third party, or otherwise violates a material term of the Agreement (including the documentation, the Service Terms, or the Acceptable Use Policy) (“Prohibited Content”), we will notify you of the Prohibited Content and may request that such content be removed from the Services or access to it be disabled. If you do not remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content within 2 business days of our notice, we may remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content or suspend the Services to the extent we are not able to remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we may remove or disable access to any Prohibited Content without prior notice in connection with illegal content, where the content may disrupt or threaten the Services or in accordance with applicable law or any judicial, regulatory or other governmental order or request. In the event that we remove Your Content without prior notice, we will provide prompt notice to you unless prohibited by law. We terminate the accounts of repeat infringers in appropriate circumstances.

I mean it's an attack on free speech. Sure you can weirdly be fine with a boot on your throat simply because it's the private sector doing it rather then the government but don't try to dress it up as something it isnt.

I would always advise caution when dealing with someone or in this case something that tells you what you said hear and say for your own benefit of course...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    And also, if they get rid of Section 230 the moderation will get WORSE, not better.
    No one is saying to get rid of it for fuck sake. It needs to be rewritten. That's why the Trump administration was trying to repeal it. It's broken, antiquated language that isn't relevant anymore. The DMCA also needs to be fixed because there's been rampant abuse of that on Twitter, Twitch and YouTube over the last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No one is saying to get rid of it for fuck sake. It needs to be rewritten. That's why the Trump administration was trying to repeal it. It's broken, antiquated language that isn't relevant anymore. The DMCA also needs to be fixed because there's been rampant abuse of that on Twitter, Twitch and YouTube over the last year.
    I've yet to see a single person complain about Section 230 who actually understands what the hell it actually does.

What, exactly, is your issue with it?