Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Arthas, Shadowlands and Blizzard

Hey guys, something's been bothering me a little bit for some time and I decided to post about it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can recall, Blizzard specifically explained that we will not be seeing much of Arthas in Shadowlands, as they do not want to ruin such an iconic character. But now we know that he's only been just another pawn in the (actual) Jailer's grand master-plan.

So my question is: isn't that the exact opposite of what Blizzard officially stated?! Why do you think they did that? Could it be just the next hiccup? Or could it be an intentional lie, because they are actually planning something for Arthas?

What are your thoughts on this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Afair there were some memories in Torghast during the beta/alpha with Arthas and Jaina but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe we will meet some of that on higher levels of Twisting Corridors but dunno, I've completed only two layers.

As for the future. Well, we've seen Uther threw Arthas to the Maw. So they will show us him. Because well... After Uther Avenger 2000 throwpunch to the damnation hole... They have to explain what happened to his soul.

But again. He's either inside the Torghast or somewhere nearby the Jailer
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greengrim View Post

Hey guys, something's been bothering me a little bit for some time and I decided to post about it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can recall, Blizzard specifically explained that we will not be seeing much of Arthas in Shadowlands, as they do not want to ruin such an iconic character. But now we know that he's only been just another pawn in the (actual) Jailer's grand master-plan.

So my question is: isn't that the exact opposite of what Blizzard officially stated?! Why do you think they did that? Could it be just the next hiccup? Or could it be an intentional lie, because they are actually planning something for Arthas?

No, they said we won't see Arthas, at least not for now. Saying: Arthas as a character will not be changed. His motives won't. His actions won't. As you see, right now, there's no new action he took or motivation he had we didn't know of.
    They only shed a new light on the powers surrounding him.

I hope it stays like that but too many people are requesting an Arthas cameo right now. As for me, I'd love to see Arthas reunite with Uther in a renewed Kyrian Covenant. Just for 1 minute of screentime, no cinematic, no spotlight, just an asterix shortly before we leave the Shadowlands. Nothing more.

But no, they did what they said right now.
    WoW players are all trash? M+ leavers? Pug raid fails? You don't have stuff to do? WoW has become a solo player game for you? People don't talk anymore? Everyone's toxic? I have a simple solution, just for you!
    Get social. Join a guild.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuli View Post
    No, they said we won't see Arthas, at least not for now. Saying: Arthas as a character will not be changed. His motives won't. His actions won't. As you see, right now, there's no new action he took or motivation he had we didn't know of.

I hope it stays like that but too many people are requesting an Arthas cameo right now. As for me, I'd love to see Arthas reunite with Uther in a renewed Kyrian Covenant. Just for 1 minute of screentime, no cinematic, no spotlight, just an asterix shortly before we leave the Shadowlands. Nothing more.

But what's the point in throwing Arthas to the Maw? (aint that a cameo already?) Just to show that Uther was so broken by the Frostmourne? To open the way to create Mawsworn? I'm afraid I dont really know Kyrian story If there are answers to my questions I will gladly start leveling another character
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Or could it be an intentional lie, because they are actually planning something for Arthas?

Blizzard writes at a child reading level. They don't do complex storylines. If they say Arthas was just a pawn, that's what he was.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Are you new? they are well know for being massive liars, saying shit to mislead the audience.

Of course, they could just change their minds later, seeing what does more profit and/or can salvage their sinking boat when nobody is liking the shitshow

For each person that thinks that WoW is , or should be, some sort of Tolkienesque complex and coherent world there is 100 casual fans of certain iconic characters that just want to see said characters do and say something cool. Those 100 don't give a flying fuck about your nerdy stuff.
    Arthas is cool, so when Blizz thinks that the cool-o-meter needs a notch up then they will pull out Arthas in a heart-blink.

It is the exact same when mythic raider complain about lack of balance, classes being dumbed down etc. For each mythic raider or serious m+'er there is at least 100 that just want to have some cool and flashy abilities.

Blizzard is bad at many things, but the company is very, very good to know and cater to the desires of the casuals, and for each hardcore lore nerd there is 100 that just want cool.

If you want coherence, "honesty" etc. you should read a book, but if you want chest-thumping moments of incoherent coolness then WoW is perfect for you.

Edit: I love the game, but expecting Blizzard to put the story above gameplay is as absurd as expecting Blizzard to put the Race to World First above the rest of the game.
    WoW is neither hardcore gamewise nor lorewise.
    So when you see Arthas in-game you should either thump your chest and scream "FUCK YEAH" or "BOOO, EVIL!" and not pay attention to intricacies of the story.
    Last edited by T-34; 2021-01-07 at 11:21 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    What if that was Arthas soul being put into Shalamayne?

Quote Originally Posted by Danuel View Post
    Arthas=Runecarver
    Ummm, how exactly?

The Runecarver was the one who gave up the designs for Helm of Domination and Frostmourne so that they can be crafted in the first place, looong before they reached Arthas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yuli View Post

Here, I found exactly what I was refering to. This is Ion Hazzikostas' standpoint from his May 2020 interview:

Arthas is obviously somewhere in the Shadowlands, but they want to be respectful with the character. We will learn more about him and his true nature, but we most likely won't be adventuring or interacting much with him.

So, they want to be respectful with the character, but then proceed with explaining to us that Arthas' Jailer was in fact the Phony Jailer and that Arthas was actually a puppet of the Jailer Jailer. How is that any respectful towards Arthas?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    What if that was Arthas soul being put into Shalamayne?
    That's not impossible, but why exactly him though?

I expect that they want to keep Arthas more of a secret for whats to come, thats why they didn't directly answer the question about his whereabouts in Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    For each person that thinks that WoW is , or should be, some sort of Tolkienesque complex and coherent world there is 100 casual fans of certain iconic characters that just want to see said characters do and say something cool. Those 100 don't give a flying fuck about your nerdy stuff.
    Arthas is cool, so when Blizz thinks that the cool-o-meter needs a notch up then they will pull out Arthas in a heart-blink.

It is the exact same when mythic raider complain about lack of balance, classes being dumbed down etc. For each mythic raider or serious m+'er there is at least 100 that just want to have some cool and flashy abilities.

Blizzard is bad at many things, but the company is very, very good to know and cater to the desires of the casuals, and for each hardcore lore nerd there is 100 that just want cool.

If you want coherence, "honesty" etc. you should read a book, but if you want chest-thumping moments of incoherent coolness then WoW is perfect for you.

Edit: I love the game, but expecting Blizzard to put the story above gameplay is as absurd as expecting Blizzard to put the Race to World First above the rest of the game.
    WoW is neither hardcore gamewise nor lorewise.
    So when you see Arthas in-game you should either thump your chest and scream "FUCK YEAH" or "BOOO, EVIL!" and not pay attention to intricacies of the story.
    I have no clue whatsoever as to what you're talking about. I just can't connect anything of what you said to what I'm talking about...

That's not impossible, but why exactly him though?
    Arthas wielded the Jailer's ultimate weapon so I could imagine his soul was twisted by it's power. It would be a good core for Shalamourn if empowered by the Anima Denathrus sent.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    snip
    Maybe they need some kind of soul to fuel it? Just like the Ner'zhul was used in the past...who better than the former Lich King?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Arthas wielded the Jailer's ultimate weapon so I could imagine his soul was twisted by it's power. It would be a good core for Shalamourn if empowered by the Anima Denathrus sent.
    Now that you made me think about it a bit more, it does make some sense. Arthas was also quite obedient to the influence of the helm and sword.

he's only been just another pawn in the (actual) Jailer's grand master-plan.
    He didn't serve the Jailer.

because they are actually planning something for Arthas?
    They're planning on giving everything that made Arthas... Arthas, to Anduin.

Anduin will eventually become either some Death Knight or Lich King. The Blue Gem is probably Arthas' soul aswell.

What they should do with Arthas is have us discover him, rescue him, Kael'thas stupidly steals an amulet and Arthas to torture him, messes up and Evil Arthas appears, absorbs Arthas and becomes a threat to everyone including the Jailer's plans. Maybe even survives the expansion and escapes into the Physical universe and becomes a wild card in the future expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Blizzard writes at a child reading level. They don't do complex storylines. If they say Arthas was just a pawn, that's what he was.
    opposed to the complexity that is found anywhere else in literature / religion / afterlife depictions

10+ Year Old Account
    They are obviously going for Anduin following in the footsteps of Arthas...obviously the jailer has something for young blonde paladins :S

but he wasnt "yet another pawn"
    in fact, none of the lich kings were. all of them defied the jailer and did their own thing. he says so to bolvar when he captures him in torghast
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    but he wasnt "yet another pawn"
    in fact, none of the lich kings were. all of them defied the jailer and did their own thing. he says so to bolvar when he captures him in torghast
    Yep. This is me spitballing but it feels like the Jailer originally handed the artifacts of domination to the Burning Legion with the plan that through their influence the Lich King would end up inadvertently doing his will. But it seems like Nerz'ul, Arthas and Bolvar all did their own thing (Nerz'ul trying to get his revenge on the Legion, Arthas trying to take over the world, Bolvar trying to do... nothing). So with Sylvanas and now Anduin he's taking a more hands-on role and directly giving orders.