[PVP] Is convoke a trap?

Convoke was fun at low rating pvp, but trying to push 1800-2k, I've been really seeing it fall off.

What are other pvpers opinions; Convoke or Kyrian?

Yes. You won't see many Night Fae feral or balance druids on the ladder. Kyrian is a better choice.

Kyrian is the most reliable for sure. People with good skill that play comps with great setup potential will have great use for convoke but overall Kyrian is better.

Kyrian is safer, as you pump all your damage into starsurges. With convoke you just can't blast it on the opener like at low rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Yhcti View Post
    Kyrian is safer, as you pump all your damage into starsurges. With convoke you just can't blast it on the opener like at low rating.
    Yeah I don't see you getting to high with convoke alone, I mean it is fun to sneak up on someone but that isn't a real good pvp strategy for the long run.

I have had my convoke stopped more times than not though, people, even at the low end are on the lookout.

Its just a fun gimmicky ability. It won't win you that many games itself and does dumb shit 70% of the time. The rare arena game in which you get a setup and it then decides to 100-0 someone in 0.4 seconds is fun though (not so much for the opponents).

Unlike many Covenant abilities, Convoke is insanely easy to counter since the ability can be kicked/CC'd... and then you're SOL for 2min. Another problem is that everyone and their mother has an immunity or near-immunity that can completely negate the damage it deals or trivialize it. Add on top Convoke still casts into Cyclone'd targets, as well as always feeling like it prefers pets over players... while some people think Convoke is so overpowered, it's probably one of the better balanced abilities I've seen in arenas. There's other more powerful Covenant abilities from other classes that are much stronger, on a shorter CD, and have much less or nearly no counters.

The most success I've had with Convoke in arenas is either the opposing team does stupid stuff, or I can successfully bait the CC's/interrupts and get our own team's CC train going to get a clean cast off. I've been toying with blowing CA/Inc to bait all the CC's and interrupts, and either use Convoke towards the end of the CA/Inc, or just use it at the start of a regular eclipse. While the damage is great during CA/Inc, it's almost always overkill when trying to secure a kill on one target (which you can finesse with positioning/CC), and less people expect you to use Convoke outside of the first few seconds of CA/Convoke due to the popular BoAT legendary.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I've been watching MMarkers - a pretty highly rated 2000+ night fae resto druid - stream and he's been able to use it to pretty decent success. It's one of those buttons you have to plan for though, since any CC/interrupt will ruin your day. I think it's fine in PVP, has clear upside and downside but then again I'm hard stuck 1500

10+ Year Old Account
    anyone who is saying that kyrian is better may have some points, but just looking at values for 2k+:

Balance 3's

Night Fae: 170
    Kyrian: 79
    Necrolord: 8

Feral 3's

Night Fae: 63
    Kyrian: 47
    Necrolord: 0

Not a trap. Higher xp players know how to play around it better. the freelo will run out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DerekSQUADOV View Post
    I've been watching MMarkers - a pretty highly rated 2000+ night fae resto druid - stream and he's been able to use it to pretty decent success. It's one of those buttons you have to plan for though, since any CC/interrupt will ruin your day. I think it's fine in PVP, has clear upside and downside but then again I'm hard stuck 1500
    yeah hes absolutely nuts on rdruid. you can see how he actually sets up the convoke rather than just using it asap

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Not a trap. Higher xp players know how to play around it better. the freelo will run out

- - - Updated - - -

yeah hes absolutely nuts on rdruid. you can see how he actually sets up the convoke rather than just using it asap
    Yeah. At low elo people won't know to expect it, and if they do they don't always react accordingly. Against a good team, you really have to make the stars align. But it's definitly possible! Bait interrupts/apply CC and let that sweet RNG rain. Most of the time, it is a win condition, so it should not be easy to use.