Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Reminder, democrats won GA by around 1%... the people who voted for the two crooks that used insider trading, while telling people COVID is nothing... were not convinced by the 2k... regardless of how economically scared they were.
    People look at the end result and ignore all context.

Razor thin majority? That razor thin majority came from an election with a razor thin majority? There's a big tent with different opinions?

WE HAVE A MANDATE TO DO WHATEVER WE WANT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Scientist real people have estimated 600.000 People could fucking be dead by this. Fuck Their Feelings and Fuck a Check, Checks should happen. But lets not forget why they are needed in the fist place.
    Checks did not move the needle, covid response did... When Trump supporters say that democrats weaponized COVID politically, they mean Trump fucked it up. “Both sides” agree here... despite using different words...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Cool, I look forward to your apologia when Schumer folds and doesn't even bring it to a vote.
    No No YOU give zero fucks I am not a fan of Schumer but he has at least spent a lifetime doing and fighting for something, what have you honestly fucking ever done even when you could?

As I said it doesn't matter what points you see on the scoreboard or what side you claim and please feel free to call yourself whatever you want, but speaking for me you will never be on my side, and I will never see you as any different than the Alt-Right and Trump.

Call yourself liberal and say whatever you want your actions say otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Checks did not move the needle, covid response did... When Trump supporters say that democrats weaponized COVID politically, they mean Trump fucked it up. “Both sides” agree here... despite using different words...
    Honestly I think that might have been part of it, but I think the other part of it was as I said grown ups showed up, held their nose and sacrificed to vote and to be counted.

I wished it would have been more than a 100 Million Voted for Biden and Georgia was a landslide. Not for Democrats, but because hopefully people wake up and realize no matter how much we disagree, nobody ever holds Trump out as anything they want to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    People look at the end result and ignore all context.

Razor thin majority? That razor thin majority came from an election with a razor thin majority? There's a big tent with different opinions?

WE HAVE A MANDATE TO DO WHATEVER WE WANT!
    The Elections No disagree, the fact the Alt-Right shit the bed and made an embarrassment of themselves along the lines of Historic proportions, MAYBE!

No making the mistakes Obama did convinced stupid people will ever change and do the right thing. But hopefully Stupidity stops being so popular. People fuck up and get it wrong sometimes.

Make a path for those that want to denounce the bullshit that has happened under Trump Great. But yeah this humoring the critically fucking insane yeah I agree on the mandate that says fuck that.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...stimulus-plan/

And Joe Manchin is prepped to shit on the $2K stimulus checks. Wish it was possible to get at least a moderate Democrat in that seat instead of a conservative Democrat, but this is what Democrats have to work with sadly. Can only hope someone like Romney break ranks to account for Manchin being a shitheel.

This is why the 50/50 "majority" isn't as significant as some of y'all seem to think.
    Just to keep in mind: "Not a Joe Manchin fan. But he never casts a *deciding* vote against the Democrats. He only votes against us in instances where his vote won't impact the outcome. So if Manchin is voting against stimulus checks, it means at least one Republican is voting for it. It' a non-issue."

https://twitter.com/PalmerReport/sta...917064706?s=20
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol. You guys and your sycophancy. Was it not Kamala Harris who let Mnuchin off the hook for literal fraud? Was it not Obama who let the entire banking sector off the hook? Was it not on his watch that people were thrown from their homes as those same banks were bailed out?

I forgot, its not my place as a mere mortal to criticize an anointed political party, heck not even a party, but the sole source of light and radiance on the Earth. I swear you guys could never see a fault in your own.
    You can do it, but when you only cry about one side we are going to call you the hypocrite you are.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Just to keep in mind: "Not a Joe Manchin fan. But he never casts a *deciding* vote against the Democrats. He only votes against us in instances where his vote won't impact the outcome. So if Manchin is voting against stimulus checks, it means at least one Republican is voting for it. It' a non-issue."

I'm sure it is, they give him cover to vote against them and keep his seat on safer votes.

And I believe that they'll have a few Republicans backing the $2K checks to allow him to do that.

But just making a point that the "majority" isn't as big as some folks seem to think it is in the Senate. Or the House.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    You can do it, but when you only cry about one side we are going to call you the hypocrite you are.
    Funny thing is she's exactly what she claims she hates and isn't smart enough to see it.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I'm sure it is, they give him cover to vote against them and keep his seat on safer votes.

And I believe that they'll have a few Republicans backing the $2K checks to allow him to do that.

But just making a point that the "majority" isn't as big as some folks seem to think it is in the Senate. Or the House.
    I think they key thing is that a majority means votes will happen. whether they pass or not, is another thing, but it's the blatent obstruction that comes with the majority is what makes it such a pretty big deal. people are just exhausted at nothing even being voted on and nothing being done for years.

Agreed, for sure. On the upside, we can get one thing done a session!
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I think they key thing is that a majority means votes will happen. whether they pass or not, is another thing, but it's the blatent obstruction that comes with the majority is what makes it such a pretty big deal. people are just exhausted at nothing even being voted on and nothing being done for years.
    If there is one thing that does need to happen, there needs to be an amendment passed that states that all bills passed by one house has to be voted on in the other within a certain time. No sitting on them indefinitely.

So Biden was gonna nominate Bernie for Labor, but with the result of GA Bernie said leaving the state of the senate up to a special election couldn't risk the majority so he asked Biden not to nominate him.

Bernie would have been amazing labor secretary but this is a good decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post

Dear progressive comrades. Dont fall for Jeff Stein's bull shit. He does this regularly, taking pull quotes out of context. This is like 5th time Stein has done this; purposely fudge/pull out a quote w/o context to make Dems look evil. Guy is at WaPo because he has a lot of twitter followers. It got him promoted from frmo the gossip section of thHill.

i think this quote is being blown out of proportion, which is probably my fault. most of her speech was about opposing AHCA on the merits

As Manchin’s office tells it, his “absolutely not” quote was meant as a response to whether $2,000 checks should be the #1 priority now; he’s not with Schumer on that part, but doesn’t promise to vote against more direct cash either.

'Oops I purposely left out all the context to make her look bad. How would I have known that people would react to it? Oh well"
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The Gods are real and have moved in miraculous and mysterious ways,

Manchin has immediately walked back his "NO CHECKS!".

Just blackmail Hawley, Cruz that the price of not being unseated for their support for the riots is supporting the checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden's Speech to tell Trump to go eat shit was pretty good

10+ Year Old Account
    The Gods are real and have moved in miraculous and mysterious ways,

Manchin has immediately walked back his "NO CHECKS!".

Just blackmail Hawley, Cruz that the price of not being unseated for their support for the riots is supporting the checks.
    How about we unseat them on principle regardless? Oh, I’d nearly forgottrn... American government isn’t allowed to continue to function until you and your husband get the stimulus check neither of you actually need. Rofl.

It’s ironic that the person who used to bitch endlessly about the EU and globalisation resulting in the decline in civic virtue does nothing but engage in value extraction at any cost.

So how long would you have to put off that bathroom renovation without the check, Theo?
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-01-08 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...stimulus-plan/

And Joe Manchin is prepped to shit on the $2K stimulus checks. Wish it was possible to get at least a moderate Democrat in that seat instead of a conservative Democrat, but this is what Democrats have to work with sadly. Can only hope someone like Romney break ranks to account for Manchin being a shitheel.

This is why the 50/50 "majority" isn't as significant as some of y'all seem to think.
    I stated this already a few pages back. This is not a 'I told you so", but Dems are going to need to find another seat somewhere. If Manchin or not m, the West Virginia seat won't last long.

To be fair we can say not every Dem Senator will go left on everything. Manchin truly in some way is reflecting West Virginia. Now, here his state is the one of the poorest, so wtf.

He has hedged, but back to the 50/50 Senate, you won't get anything major done. Most of us here know this. Even something bold like the Republicans giving a tax cut to the rich won't be done on Dem side, likely cause of Manchin.

Oh btw there are some very center left Dem Senator they may cock block legislation down the road.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    I stated this already a few pages back. This is not a 'I told you so", but Dems are going to need to find another seat somewhere. If Manchin or not m, the West Virginia seat won't last long.

To be fair we can say not every Dem Senator will go left on everything. Manchin truly in some way is reflecting West Virginia. Now, here his state is the one of the poorest, so wtf.

He has hedged, but back to the 50/50 Senate, you won't get anything major done. Most of us here know this. Even something bold like the Republicans giving a tax cut to the rich won't be done on Dem side, likely cause of Manchin.

Oh btw there are some very center left Dem Senator they may cock block legislation down the road.
    You guys realize that Jeff Stien doesnt actually do journalism? He's just baiting for clicks.
    Here's the transcript they just released. As expected, the "absolutely not" quote was about the checks being priority #1. Jeff Stein (willfully) "misinterpreted it" again.

Journalism is not taking two words out of context then surrounding them with 30 words of bad faith framing.
    Government Affiliated Snark

There's no way Manchin would vote against the 2k payments. The bill would need to have some truly crazy shit in it for that to happen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncn...mpression=true

"Every major economist thinks we should be investing in deficit spending in order to generate economic growth," Biden told reporters Friday, citing low interest rates and limited Federal Reserve powers to fix the Covid-19 crisis.

Biden said he'll lay out an economic relief package this year that will cost "in the trillions of dollars" and include emergency relief for those harmed by the Covid-19 pandemic as well as investments in infrastructure, health care and "a whole range of things that are going to generate good-paying jobs."

"If we don't act now things will get much worse and harder to get out of the hole later. So we have to invest now," Biden said. "There's a dire, dire need to act now."
    Yo @Theodarzna, seems like your "austerity" strawman is pretty gettin kinda moldy.

10+ Year Old Account
    investments in infrastructure
    Infrastructure week?!