10+ Year Old Account

nVidia 660 and DX12

So we're trying to get AC: Vahalla to play on an older system running a GeForce 660. Supposedly the game requires DX12 (Or specifically, Feature 12_0) which... as far as I can tell, that card doesn't support? It gets a "Non-DX12 Video Card" error on start.

That said, I also see people with this card getting 'low frame rate' issues with that card, and the game. Which I sort of understand.. But it sounds like the game is at least playing, if not great. Is there something I'm missing here?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So we're trying to get AC: Vahalla to play on an older system running a GeForce 660. Supposedly the game requires DX12 (Or specifically, Feature 12_0) which... as far as I can tell, that card doesn't support? It gets a "Non-DX12 Video Card" error on start.

That said, I also see people with this card getting 'low frame rate' issues with that card, and the game. Which I sort of understand.. But it sounds like the game is at least playing, if not great. Is there something I'm missing here?
    AC Valhalla requires DX12 with feature set 12.0 (maybe 12.1, not sure) and Nvidia's old Kepler architecture (600, 700 series) definitely doesn't support that.

Pretty sure anyone claiming to have it running on these GPU's with simply "low frame rate issues (no shit, it would be a slideshow anyway on any of those cards) are simply lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I may have a solution to your problem but you won't like it. It's called LINUX! Linux doesn't support DX12 so we have to use Vulkan to get around this problem. So long as the GTX 660 supports Vulkan then this may work. VKD3D-Proton actually says it works for Valhalla on Nvidia hardware only. If you do go through this route then you'll need to install Wine-Staging if anything but for the dependencies. Get Proton-GE and extract it and rename the dist folder to proton-ge and place it in the /opt/ folder. So when you go to run Valhalla then type in terminal "/opt/proton-ge/bin/wine ACValhalla.exe" and it should run.

I haven't tried running Valhalla yet since UbiSoft games aren't my thing, but others have ran it on Linux using other methods that may work. If you're willing to go through the trouble to install Linux then this maybe the only way to get the game working on that GPU. Maybe try using Linux on a separate drive to avoid losing your Windows installation?

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2021-01-09 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    ... Maybe try using Linux on a separate drive to avoid losing your Windows installation?
    Or create a USB-Stick boot drive. It's always good to have one of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the information is useful just to know, switching to Linux isn't an option, and it's more work than it's worth as I can just get a used GPU relatively easily, but wanted to see if there was some kind of relatively easy software fix.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    While the information is useful just to know, switching to Linux isn't an option, and it's more work than it's worth as I can just get a used GPU relatively easily, but wanted to see if there was some kind of relatively easy software fix.
    You can try to build VKD3D-Proton for Windows. I know regular VKD3D has been ported to Windows but that was last done like 7 months ago. The developer does note that VKD3D-Proton can be done for Windows 10. I never compiled it for Windows so have fun. He notes that you need Strawberry Perl as one of the differences from Linux to compile it. Once you do, you just place the d3d12.dll where the executable is and run the game.

Now that I think about it, isn't d3d12.dll meant to trick Windows anyway? You might be able to extract the d3d12.dll from the latest release and just place it in the directory of the game you want to run. I'm not sure but it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2021-01-10 at 05:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ended up slapping an extra AMD 560 in there and that pretty much resolved the issue. It doesn't get AMAZING fps but we're also talking about an i5-750 soooo yeah