Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Should recheck your math...
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/six-...nvestment.html

The generated $1.8 billion in profits. The shareholders only regret that they obviously could have turned an even bigger profit.

Thats before the insane amount of money Mando has made for their streaming platform(s)*.

*Not uncommon for people to bundle Disney+ with Hulu and/or ESPN+.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

The generated $1.8 billion in profits. The shareholders only regret that they obviously could have turned an even bigger profit.

Thats before the insane amount of money Mando has made for their streaming platform(s)*.

Whoever did that calculation for cnbc should get fired. They made 5.8 billion gross at the booth, which results in about half of it really going towards Disney.
    And Disney+ is not making profit so far.

Here is a more accurate calculation, from the numbers back in 2020:
    Great, now let's take the gross and turn it into the net, the REALLY important part.
    Total domestic for all movies: 2.806.247.432 *0,6 = 1.683.748.459,20 $
    Total foreign for all movies: 3.092.357.313 *0,4 = 1.236.942.925,20 $
    totals to: 2.920.691.384,40 $

Congratulation, your IP, which you bought for 4 billion dollars, has after 8 years and 5 movies, not recovered the initial investment.
    Oh, they managed to cover the cost of most movies (Solo officially bombed and Rise has so far maybe broken even), but as a shareholder i would start asking the important question when these 4 billions will be regained. In another 16-24 years?

The merch so far has abysmal sale rates, and the 'old' merch has the disadvantage (for Disney) that they have to give George Lucas his share.
    The latest financial report considering SW Galaxy Edge shows that it is failing to meet expectations. Sure, revenue is up because ticket prices are up, but attendance numbers are stale or falling. But don't take my word, Disney said so themselves in their own report. And that was before the pandemic, not they are even worse.

Every company compares the profits with the investment. Especially a big one like Disney.
    From a purely financial point of view SW has been a bad investment. It has after 8 years and several big projects a maybe 25% ROI-rate. That's about 3% ROI per year.
    For the proud sum of 4 billion dollars Disney could have instead made more money by buying other IPs, or creating their own, new IPs.
    Look at Frozen, 2 movies, lots of sold merch, no problematic reports about production issues or fan protests, basically for free IP, ... raking in billions.
    Marvel, bought for a comparable prize, is still going strong after 11 years and 23 movies, and aside from the Larson-hiccups beloved by fans, selling merch .. further raking in billions and already a net profit.
    Even their live readaption/remakes of classic Disney movies shows better numbers.

Star Wars is, as a whole after factoring in all costs of acquisition, production, and advertisement, still a loss.
    Did some movies make a profit? TFA and TLJ did at the box office. tRoS so far, not.
    Last edited by segara82; 2021-01-10 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Typos, clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Not particularly interested in dignifying the drivel in your reply to me, but I am kinda kicking myself for missing this gem the first time around.

I'll never understand why people have such an axe to grind with this crap. But when looking for things to criticize, you might want to stay away from something as trivial as the color of a lightsaber.

Because maintaining some sort of consistently in-universe was obviously less important to Lucas himself than giving an actor something he thought looked cool.
    Goes to show, people will complain about EVERYTHING.

Besides I always thought the lightsaber colour was purple, not pink. But you can tell how he feels by how he describes something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Sounds silly to me. New bad movies don't make older bad movies good, they're just all bad movies.
    The reasoning has some merit though. It's like when a crappy WoW expansion gets released and people start idolizing the previous one because, while not perfect, in comparison it was better than what they got at the moment. It is only human to have nostalgia for better times. Mind you, not good times, but times that were better than current ones.

As for me, I am getting in the canon/original Star Wars universe right now. I watched the movies when I was small and I forgot almost all of it. I have seen the first two episodes (so, episode 4-5) and I liked them. Phantom Menace is fine, I got to see many jedi and it was a nice change of pace from Fallen Order. Still, of course, fuck Jar Jar and his idiot people to hell and back.
    The Clone Wars was also pretty good. Not stellar (pun intended) but good. I'm looking forward to the rest.

I may also add that I saw the latest trilogy recently in movie theaters and it was one of the most rotten piece of garbage I ever saw in my life. I felt everything was wrong and going downhill even with minimal previous knowledge on the Star Wars universe, that's how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    Whoever did that calculation for cnbc should get fired. They made 5.8 billion gross at the booth, which results in about half of it really going towards Disney.

Great, now let's take the gross and turn it into the net, the REALLY important part.

Congratulation, your IP, which you bought for 4 billion dollars, has after 8 years and 5 movies, not recovered the initial investment.
    Oh, they managed to cover the cost of most movies (Solo officially bombed and Rise has so far maybe broken even), but as a shareholder i would start asking the important question when these 4 billions will be regained. In another 16-24 years?

The merch so far has abysmal sale rates, and the 'old' merch has the disadvantage (for Disney) that they have to give George Lucas his share.
    The latest financial report considering SW Galaxy Edge shows that it is failing to meet expectations. Sure, revenue is up because ticket prices are up, but attendance numbers are stale or falling. But don't take my word, Disney said so themselves in their own report. And that was before the pandemic, not they are even worse.

Every company compares the profits with the investment. Especially a big one like Disney.
    From a purely financial point of view SW has been a bad investment. It has after 8 years and several big projects a maybe 25% ROI-rate. That's about 3% ROI per year.
    For the proud sum of 4 billion dollars Disney could have instead made more money by buying other IPs, or creating their own, new IPs.
    Look at Frozen, 2 movies, lots of sold merch, no problematic reports about production issues or fan protests, basically for free IP, ... raking in billions.
    Marvel, bought for a comparable prize, is still going strong after 11 years and 23 movies, and aside from the Larson-hiccups beloved by fans, selling merch .. further raking in billions and already a net profit.
    Even their live readaption/remakes of classic Disney movies shows better numbers.

Star Wars is, as a whole after factoring in all costs of acquisition, production, and advertisement, still a loss.
    Did some movies make a profit? TFA and TLJ did at the box office. tRoS so far, not.
    Go woke go broke, and Disney doesn't seem to learn. The Force is female - turned Star Wars to some sort of feminist gender war platform and continued to let the orginator of this very bad idea, make the project even worse.

Guess what happened when someone did something she was not creatively or directionally involved with? IT was a huge hit. Look what happened when it included the very elements she wanted to completely retcon and remove i.e. Luke Skywalker - huge hit

you could say , her decisions and direction has been the problem for this IP, and yet she still sits there.

i guess they have billions to waste.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Lil @Jotaux apparently didn't check his own math, lol. Thanks for the link.

I have a quick question for you - how are streaming sites like Disney+ making money off shows like The Mandalorian? Is it just through monthly subscription fees?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Lil @Jotaux apparently didn't check his own math, lol. Thanks for the link.

I have a quick question for you - how are streaming sites like Disney+ making money off shows like The Mandalorian? Is it just through monthly subscription fees?
    pretty much yeah,and the Mandalorian was pretty much the only reason to ever get Disney+ for a LOT of people

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

With all due respect to your analysis, you're just making up these numbers.

Where do you get your net/gross ratio numbers?
    Where are you getting your individual profit numbers re specific movies?

Just as an example about where you could be wrong, The Rise of Skywalker made $300M profit. You claim above it didn't. So what else did you get wrong?

With all due respect to your analysis, you're just making up these numbers.

Where do you get your net/gross ratio numbers?
    Where are you getting your individual profit numbers re specific movies?

Just as an example about where you could be wrong, The Rise of Skywalker made $300M profit. You claim above it didn't. So what else did you get wrong?
    boxofficemojo.com, back on jan 31 2020.
    We discussed the missunderstood GROS and NET numbers back then in the Obi_Wan Kenob thread.
    User PACOX back then gave us the numbers, and we showed him how little was left after you corrected the numbers.
    Disney SW by the numbers

TFA - $936,662,225 (domestic), $1,131,561,399 (international), $2,068,223,624 (worldwide)
    TLJ - $620,181,382 + $712,358,507, = $1,332,539,889
    TROS - $503,458,989 + $545,400,163 = $1,048,859,152

Rogue One - $532,177,324 + $523,879,949 = $1,056,057,273
    Solo - $213,767,512 + $179,157,295 = $392,924,807

Total gross TD: $5,898,604,745
    Cost of acquisition: $4.05 billion
    Total gross-budget: $4,497,184,891

All figures from boxofficemojo.com

Great, now let's take the gross and turn it into the net, the REALLY important part. Disney WAS in the strong position that they got 60% of domestic and 40% of international earnings, the rest went to the cinemas and distributors:

2. TRoS made a profit of 300 million, meaning they earned more than making the movie costs. But again the initial investment of 4 Billions still wants to be earned. I have only calculated how much money Disney earned with the movies, not if the individual movies themselves were profitable, which they usually were. But when i/you/one subtracts from the net box office earnings the costs for the movies themselves then even less money has gone toward paying for the IP itself.
    After calculating all the costs and earnings the IP has not remade the initial investment of 4 billion dollars.
    Last edited by segara82; 2021-01-10 at 07:08 PM.
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    boxofficemojo.com, back on jan 31 2020.
    We discussed the missunderstood GROS and NET numbers back then in the Obi_Wan Kenob thread.
    User PACOX back then gave us the numbers, and we showed him how little was left after you corrected the numbers.
    Disney SW by the numbers

TFA - $936,662,225 (domestic), $1,131,561,399 (international), $2,068,223,624 (worldwide)
    TLJ - $620,181,382 + $712,358,507, = $1,332,539,889
    TROS - $503,458,989 + $545,400,163 = $1,048,859,152

Rogue One - $532,177,324 + $523,879,949 = $1,056,057,273
    Solo - $213,767,512 + $179,157,295 = $392,924,807

Total gross TD: $5,898,604,745
    Cost of acquisition: $4.05 billion
    Total gross-budget: $4,497,184,891

All figures from boxofficemojo.com

Great, now let's take the gross and turn it into the net, the REALLY important part. Disney WAS in the strong position that they got 60% of domestic and 40% of international earnings, the rest went to the cinemas and distributors:

2. TRoS made a profit of 300 million, meaning they earned more than making the movie costs. But again the initial investment of 4 Billions still wants to be earned. I have only calculated how much money Disney earned with the movies, not if the individual movies themselves were profitable, which they usually were. But when i/you/one subtracts from the net box office earnings the costs for the movies themselves then even less money has gone toward paying for the IP itself.
    After calculating all the costs and earnings the IP has not remade the initial investment of 4 billion dollars.
    Damn - thank you for that great response and terrific numbers. Much appreciated.

It definitely seems like they haven't recouped the initial IP cost. Just to add to your thought process, do those net numbers take into account marketing and other factors outside of the cost of just making the movie?

Damn - thank you for that great response and terrific numbers. Much appreciated.

It definitely seems like they haven't recouped the initial IP cost. Just to add to your thought process, do those net numbers take into account marketing and other factors outside of the cost of just making the movie?
    No, the numbers are the official earnings of the movies at the box office, from which Disney got their cut.
    The actual budget costs of the movies are not factored in, those are not that easy to come by since the budgets for marketing are too vague or not listed too often.
    Rule of thumb is double the often-cited production costs to include marketing.

TRoS has an official production budget of 275 millions, and marketing (should) cost as much again, resulting in a possible final cost of 550 million dollars. Back last year with a GROS of 1,048,859,152 making it more likely a NET 502 million dollars net it looked like they might not break even. Again, Hollywood accounting is VERY creative and misleading to avoid taxes and pay-outs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Go woke go broke, and Disney doesn't seem to learn. The Force is female - turned Star Wars to some sort of feminist gender war platform and continued to let the orginator of this very bad idea, make the project even worse.
    I get that reality isn’t a thing for a lot of Starwars fans but you do know the Nike isn’t working on Starwars content right? Cause the whole force is female thing was from Nike it had nothing to do with Starwars nor was it KK’s idea.

Guess what happened when someone did something she was not creatively or directionally involved with? IT was a huge hit. Look what happened when it included the very elements she wanted to completely retcon and remove i.e. Luke Skywalker - huge hit
    she also has the same Executive producer role in The Mandalorian that she did in the movies.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-01-10 at 08:43 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

you could say , her decisions and direction has been the problem for this IP, and yet she still sits there.

i guess they have billions to waste.
    It's amazing to me that people claim the last trilogy was "awful" or "a waste" - each movie did very well, the last one only grossing $1B.

Now, if you didn't like it, that's fine - but the trilogy was a success, and a LOT of people liked the entire endeavor - including the last one, which you've mislabeled from a failed Nike campaign rather than reality. And god forbid we get some female heroes out of there.

It's amazing to me that people claim the last trilogy was "awful" or "a waste" - each movie did very well, the last one only grossing $1B.

Now, if you didn't like it, that's fine - but the trilogy was a success, and a LOT of people liked the entire endeavor - including the last one, which you've mislabeled from a failed Nike campaign rather than reality. And god forbid we get some female heroes out of there.
    The movies were successes at the box office, no one can deny that.
    What they and the noises around it however caused was the total decline in merch sales, they tanked harder and faster than the prequel toys.
    People aprecciate those more, in no small matter due to the Clone Wars show that made the chars so much better. Even Jar Jar sells (yes, still sells) better than Rose Tico.
    The whole 'Let the past die, kill it if you have too' route is the wrong way to make money with a franchise that has more than 40 years of history (and masses of fans of all ages).

And why do people think Star Wars fans have a problem with female heroes? Ashoka, Mara Jade, Cara Dune, Shak Tii, Mon Mothma, Ventress, Padme, Leia (ffs! ), ...
    What we don't like is poorly written chars and Mary Sues (and Rey is one).

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I get that reality isn’t a thing for a lot of Starwars fans but you do know the Nike isn’t working on Starwars content right? Cause the whole force is female thing was from Nike it had nothing to do with Starwars nor was it KK’s idea.

she also has the same Executive producer role in The Mandalorian that she did in the movies.
    Oh but how she embraced it, the Force is female, she probably came up with the line and told them to run with it.

2. Not all executive producer doesn't mean shit, she's head of the project her name would be on it even if she just had to approve it.. but still, I don't know what role she played or whether it was willingly, it's not her talent I have problems with, it's her direction of the project.

Finally , I'm not anti female, I'm just anti feminist agenda b/s. I didn't have a problem with Rey, I just didn't like how her character was written or portrayed and din't like the direction the movies took. On their own, they were good productions I thought, I'm not here to criticise them or hate them like others do. I quite like entertainment when it's good, I don't care if i'ts a man or woman at the helm. I love STar Trek Discovery and Michael Burnham's character.

I just know when feminism is over done and shoved down my throat and I don't like it. So don't get all hurt because I don't like the feminist gender war platform KK turned Star Wars sequels into.

- - - Updated - - -

Well actually, I didn't mind the Last Jedi or the Rise of Skywalker, I actually thought the latter was better than expected to. I hate that they just rehashed 4-6 instead of did something new, and I thought it was terrible what they did to Luke's Character, but I enjoyed 2 of the 3 sequels, and paid (in a sense) to go watch them.

You just assume that anyone who has criticism with the sequels or KK hates them or hates her. I don't hate hate woman, I don't even know her, I do hate the feminist gender war that's breaking in on my entertainment and ruining it. Same goes for all the socio political wars. I hate what it's doing. And I don't agree.

i don't hate gays, women, blacks etc I'm closer to identifying with 2 of the 3, but they're making their shows about this crap rather than about entertaining, and they're basically preach/screeching their values to a degree that's becoming annoying and detracting away from a good story.

I don't think women should be treated unfairly or someone hated because of his sexual orientation or discriminated against, pushed down and ignored because of his skin colour - I welcome diversity and exposure, diverse roles etc, what I think is silly is tis fake pretense in entertainment, it's excessive, I don't like it.

But don't get me wrong, I will assess every product and production on its own merit, regardless of what the mases or haters say, and I will make up my own mind about it. I would comment about he things I like and don't like in topics that are relevant, but don't you come out and start judging me and making assumptions about me, because the other people you've argued with have turned out to be just those sort of people you're now putting me into a box with.

How dare you stereotype me and box me in to your very narrow view.. please, just put me on your ignore list so you never have to see another word I write. and I don't have to put up with your stereotyping and judgy attitude.

I watched all the Star Wars movies starting with "Solo" and then in order ending with "Rise of Skywalker". All of them are as hokey as the next. Acting in some of the original is not good. Hamil comes across as bad as Ralph Macchio does in Karate Kid. I think much of it is fans remember seeing them as kids and then really have never watched them again.

Like Transformers the cartoon. That was the best ever show when I was growing up as a kid. Now I'm like meh. I think that is the same when it comes to Star Wars.

What we don't like is poorly written chars
    This is just a problem in general at the moment, and not just in SW.

Representation and recognition are all great. But they're not sufficient on their own to make a good character. Good writing makes a good character. Somehow people seem to think we're all idiots and will just blindly adore anything that they tack on some single defining characteristic - omg it's a woman, omg it's a person of color, omg it's a trans person... etc. But that's not enough. They also need to actually be good characters in addition to all that. And that takes a lot of effort, which apparently they're unwilling to put in. For whatever reason.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Oh but how she embraced it,
    really embraced with it by doing a photo shoot then never talking about it again nor linking it to starwars in any way?

the Force is female, she probably came up with the line and told them to run with it.
    also this is a really nonsensical conspiracy theory dude

here ill link a little break down of what really happened.
    It was part of a Nike campaign for the celebration of the "Air Force One" shoe line and that they (and a couple of other companies) where celebrating woman who came at the top at their profession.

And now to the photo of KK. It was taken at the Archer Film Festival, an event aimed at young woman who are interested in the film business and want their future job in the movie industry. She was invited to speak at it because she is one of the most succesfull producers in the industry.

They are all wearing that t-shirt. Why, probably because Nike was a sponsor to the festival (a festival organized by a school). What better way for a company to promote their line of shoes with a campaign about strong, succesfull woman, then at a festival that was aimed at young woman.
    https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.c...s-story.55174/

2. Not all executive producer doesn't mean shit, she's head of the project her name would be on it even if she just had to approve it.. but still, I don't know what role she played or whether it was willingly, it's not her talent I have problems with, it's her direction of the project.
    So you don't know what role she played but you still have a problem with her direction of the project? that doesn't seem nonsensical to you at all when you admit you have no idea how much or little she's involved?

I just know when feminism is over done and shoved down my throat and I don't like it. So don't get all hurt because I don't like the feminist gender war platform KK turned Star Wars sequels into.
    kind of seem's like you have some made up notions that aren't based on any thing that is actually real and have turned those into KK turning starwars into a gender war when no said gender war is actually happening.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2021-01-11 at 12:23 AM.

This looks like the trash I threw out, that was crushed by the garbage truck sent to the garbage pit and then ran over by the tractor thing...

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The movies were successes at the box office, no one can deny that.
    What they and the noises around it however caused was the total decline in merch sales, they tanked harder and faster than the prequel toys.
    People aprecciate those more, in no small matter due to the Clone Wars show that made the chars so much better. Even Jar Jar sells (yes, still sells) better than Rose Tico.
    The whole 'Let the past die, kill it if you have too' route is the wrong way to make money with a franchise that has more than 40 years of history (and masses of fans of all ages).

And why do people think Star Wars fans have a problem with female heroes? Ashoka, Mara Jade, Cara Dune, Shak Tii, Mon Mothma, Ventress, Padme, Leia (ffs! ), ...
    What we don't like is poorly written chars and Mary Sues (and Rey is one).
    Merch sales in general have been sliding for years. Star Wars isn't anything special.

I don't know why Star Wars fans have a problem with female heroes - they shouldn't, as you pointed out. However, in your list, there isn't a single one from the Trilogy series'. Leia kind of counts as one, ironically dying just before she got her first "starring" role.

Rey isn't a Mary Sue.

- - - Updated - - -

Well actually, I didn't mind the Last Jedi or the Rise of Skywalker, I actually thought the latter was better than expected to. I hate that they just rehashed 4-6 instead of did something new, and I thought it was terrible what they did to Luke's Character, but I enjoyed 2 of the 3 sequels, and paid (in a sense) to go watch them.
    I liked all three. Although, VII had me walking away with a bit of "haven't I already seen this before" but I did enjoy it nonetheless. VIII was my least favorite, although it set up 9 nicely. I thoroughly enjoyed XI.

What I do understand is that there is a FUCKTON of lore and universe in this world. And to those that pay attention to it minutely, there will be...issues. I can understand that, I have other movies/shows that I criticize when they fuck up the story line.

You just assume that anyone who has criticism with the sequels or KK hates them or hates her. I don't hate hate woman, I don't even know her, I do hate the feminist gender war that's breaking in on my entertainment and ruining it. Same goes for all the socio political wars. I hate what it's doing. And I don't agree.
    Actually, that's your assumption mistake there - I never, EVER, said criticism equals hate. Show me the post if you disagree.

How dare you stereotype me and box me in to your very narrow view.. please, just put me on your ignore list so you never have to see another word I write. and I don't have to put up with your stereotyping and judgy attitude.
    What? My judgy attitude? Do you read things before you post them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I watched all the Star Wars movies starting with "Solo" and then in order ending with "Rise of Skywalker". All of them are as hokey as the next. Acting in some of the original is not good. Hamil comes across as bad as Ralph Macchio does in Karate Kid. I think much of it is fans remember seeing them as kids and then really have never watched them again.

Like Transformers the cartoon. That was the best ever show when I was growing up as a kid. Now I'm like meh. I think that is the same when it comes to Star Wars.
    Agreed re Hamil - holy cow does he suck as an actor. I love the story behind how they "found" Harrison Ford. I can see what you mean about the hokey quality of the acting. I also haven't watched them in order before. Going to have to give that a try.

Thought Rogue One was pretty amazing, too.