Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How do you catch up in Renown?

I noticed by doing some dungeons,raid, world boss, and mythic +, that i would sometimes get a renown lvl. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these are drops that have a chance to occur, or a daily activity thing? Also is there some sort of cap preventing me from catching up a fresh character up to the current renown within the first week of dinging 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeetmyfeet View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if these are drops that have a chance to occur, or a daily activity thing? Also is there some sort of cap preventing me from catching up a fresh character up to the current renown within the first week of dinging 60.
    You will get quests for "current weekly max renown", you know the souls and anima collecting ones. Up until you hit "current max" without these quests, you can get Renown drops several times per day. My latest alt was all caught up two days after dinging 60.

Edit to clarify. Current max is Renown 18. You will get drops up to 15, then quests for 16 and 17 which unlocks next campaign chapter and grants 18. Next week you can get drops up to 18, then quests and campaign.
    Last edited by Throwme; 2021-01-03 at 02:59 AM.

There is no cap beyond the global one which applies to everyone. You'll keep getting it from random sources until you're up to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeetmyfeet View Post
    I noticed by doing some dungeons,raid, world boss, and mythic +, that i would sometimes get a renown lvl. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these are drops that have a chance to occur, or a daily activity thing? Also is there some sort of cap preventing me from catching up a fresh character up to the current renown within the first week of dinging 60.
    I hoped, that it would be just straight guaranteed progression. That one level would be given for every call, I was doing anyway (dunno, why). Because I wanted to do it on many characters. But at the end, again, it's RNG or pseudo-RNG. At the end you progress, because once you get to story chapter - it gives you extra renown anyway. And world boss seem to drop guaranteed renown. But it happens slowly, than I expected.

Blizzard still can't understand several concepts of alt-friendly game. When you're going to do it on, let's say, 20 characters, you just can't rely on RNG. RNG-gating is cancer in this game. As simple, as that.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I hoped, that it would be just straight guaranteed progression. That one level would be given for every call, I was doing anyway (dunno, why). Because I wanted to do it on many characters. But at the end, again, it's RNG or pseudo-RNG. At the end you progress, because once you get to story chapter - it gives you extra renown anyway. And world boss seem to drop guaranteed renown. But it happens slowly, than I expected.

Blizzard still can't understand several concepts of alt-friendly game. When you're going to do it on, let's say, 20 characters, you just can't rely on RNG. RNG-gating is cancer in this game. As simple, as that.
    Maybe if you have 20 characters, not all of them are as world renown as you think they are? It's almost as if literal reputation builds over time!

It's pretty good how it works imo. Nice catch up. It doesn't give it all at once, so you still need to do an effort, but since you get it from content you would do anyway, I think that's fair.

I got mine from Raids, Dungeons, World Bosses and those Callings we get every day..

Uh....You get up to 4 from lvling to 60 with threads.

This unlocks story 1 2 and 3 (1 and 2 get you 6 which gives you 3 which gets you 7) right out of the gate....At least 1 calling will for sure give a renown. Which gets you to 8 which has another story. which gets you 9. (some of these story quest award extra as well so you could be very well ahead of 9) The world boss gives another thats 10, torghast quest gives one theres 11 now you have a story again for 12. Random drops isnt even into the equation until almost cap and even then you have probably gotten more from the quest chains than the sheer minimum. What do you want them to do? Make all your storys auto complete and you get renown 18 as soon as you ding 60?!?

Quote Originally Posted by rhrrngt View Post
    Uh....You get up to 4 from lvling to 60 with threads.

This unlocks story 1 2 and 3 (1 and 2 get you 6 which gives you 3 which gets you 7) right out of the gate....At least 1 calling will for sure give a renown. Which gets you to 8 which has another story. which gets you 9. (some of these story quest award extra as well so you could be very well ahead of 9) The world boss gives another thats 10, torghast quest gives one theres 11 now you have a story again for 12. Random drops isnt even into the equation until almost cap and even then you have probably gotten more from the quest chains than the sheer minimum. What do you want them to do? Make all your storys auto complete and you get renown 18 as soon as you ding 60?!?
    So - I've done all this and am stuck at 19. I have NOT done a raid boss yet.

Multiple callings.
    Torgast.
    M0
    M+
    Daily dungeons / heroics.
    World Bosses x 2.
    Crafting quests.

Pretty much - only raid bosses / pvp is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by scottiea View Post
    So - I've done all this and am stuck at 19.

Daily dungeons / heroics.

Pretty much - only raid bosses / pvp is missing.
    If you limit yourself to only doing one per day, of course you're going to get stuck. Do more dungeons. They DO drop even if it's not with the Daily bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Violence View Post
    19 is within range of this week's limit, you should have covenant quests to get you to 20 and 21 this week.

You will not get extra renown from doing random activities this week, as far as I understand, only from doing the covenant quests like everyone else who is at the weekly limit.
    Yeah apparently this is an issue with the catch-up, if you do your 2 weeklies early then as soon as you hit the range of the weekly cap like this week is 19-20-21, so as soon as i got to 19 i stopped getting emblems to drop and i was supposed to do the weeklies to get to 21, but have already completed them. Kind of sucks as i didnt know this earlier.

Not a huge deal as you'll only be behind for 1 week, but certainly something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1519 View Post
    Yeah apparently this is an issue with the catch-up, if you do your 2 weeklies early then as soon as you hit the range of the weekly cap like this week is 19-20-21, so as soon as i got to 19 i stopped getting emblems to drop and i was supposed to do the weeklies to get to 21, but have already completed them. Kind of sucks as i didnt know this earlier.
    This is the correct answer, you could have gotten to 19 by farming, then done the 2 x covenent quests to get to 21. Now you'll have to catch up next week (farming first then quests)

When you're going to do it on, let's say, 20 characters, you just can't rely on RNG. RNG-gating is cancer in this game. As simple, as that.
    This seems like a bit of an outlier, especially for a game that's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1519 View Post
    I'd suggest trying another mythic+ as I think it's only a high chance from there but not guaranteed. I'm pretty sure what you posted is incorrect though, as I was in this exact scenario on a toon and was able to get to renown 21. I started the week at 15, did the 2 weeklies (1k anima and maw souls) to 17, campaign to 18. 1 dungeon got me 19, world boss got me 20 and campaign got me 21. Whatever system they have in place for catch-up seems to be pretty damn smart and know what you are locked to making you eligible for the catch up when needed.

The Renown catch-up system has got to be the best catch up system they've ever had in the game

Overall yes, but they really should fix the problem where you do the standard weekly quests earlier on and can't fully catch-up that week, if that is indeed the case. I haven't tested it myself.

I've been stuck at renown 10 since friday. That's threedayws without renown from callings, BGs, Thorgast as well as world boss. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong? Sorry if this is OT, but I am getting quite annoyed. Everything points towards that I should easily catch up a fair bit over renown 10.

I swapped two days ago, and after doing multiple BGs, Arenas, Dungeons and a couple of callings i only received one catch up renown from an epic BG.

Kind of disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by blomkal View Post
    I've been stuck at renown 10 since friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noan View Post
    i only received one catch up renown from an epic BG.
    This might seem like a silly question, but hey...

Have either of you actually done the campaign quests? Those give out Renown levels as well and it might just be the things you need to do to get more stuff dropping and/or catch up completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    This might seem like a silly question, but hey...

Have either of you actually done the campaign quests? Those give out Renown levels as well and it might just be the things you need to do to get more stuff dropping and/or catch up completely.
    I have, and to proceed in the campaign I need to hit 11.