Poll: Should Parler be deplatformed?

Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    A good comment I read the other day was the "everyday" or supposedly "normal" Republicans upset that Parlor is now being deplatformed. When the social media page is super toxic. No moderation or accountability is showing open racism and call for violence against the government. If you call yourself a citizen or whatever the eff, then you are supporting these people. It's just stupid logic.

All in all, all these right wingers crying right now a) dont want to take responsibility and b) want to push what actually happened to the back. It's amazing all the healing and let's forgot about it that is happening.

Very dangerous if we let their side dismiss this and one day they attempt this again and the insurrection and rebellion works.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    When you tacitly admit that your party is implicitly a hate group that would necessarily be banned from most social media for their abusive comments. Fantastic.
    Saying the sile t part out loud. The Achilles heel of modern conservatives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    A good comment I read the other day was the "everyday" or supposedly "normal" Republicans upset that Parlor is now being deplatformed. When the social media page is super toxic. No moderation or accountability is showing open racism and call for violence against the government. If you call yourself a citizen or whatever the eff, then you are supporting these people. It's just stupid logic.

All in all, all these right wingers crying right now a) dont want to take responsibility and b) want to push what actually happened to the back. It's amazing all the healing and let's forgot about it that is happening.

Very dangerous if we let their side dismiss this and one day they attempt this again and the insurrection and rebellion works.
    Are you saying the party of personal responsibility is not taking responsibility for their actions when it hurts them?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes

but..

the social media giants + google hold way too much power in this age.
    I think it is right that they addressed Trump and some of his insane fanbase but it also goes to show what power they hold, in a swift move they muted him.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    the social media giants + google hold way too much power in this age.
    I think it is right that they addressed Trump and some of his insane fanbase but it also goes to show what power they hold, in a swift move they muted him.
    You could make an argument regarding Google, but largely because of their wider influence in the background, not the Google brand products themselves.

The social media giants? Not even a little. Twitter has no "power" except over what goes on on Twitter, which is a power that every company has over itself.

A company like Youtube, they only have "power" because they have the largest audience, and they only have the largest audience because that audience prefers Youtube. It's entirely consumer-driven. It isn't being forced on anyone. Any action to take Youtube apart will necessarily either require forcing users to use a particular video upload site over the others (anti-competitive, obviously), or it will result in one of the new iterations becoming the "new Youtube" and just building up the same majority stake in the marketplace, as users gravitate to where the largest pool of content is, the same way Youtube got as big as it currently is.

Monopolies created by user preference can't really be taken out by government. It's difficult to challenge them in competition because the monopoly is the feature that attracts the consumers. It isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Swift? It took them 4 years of his constant lies for them to start slapping that "the contents of this tweet are disputed" label on his bullshit. And it took the people he egged on storming the capitol for them to finally get rid of him. There was nothing "swift" about any of that.

15+ Year Old Account
    You could make an argument regarding Google, but largely because of their wider influence in the background, not the Google brand products themselves.

The social media giants? Not even a little. Twitter has no "power" except over what goes on on Twitter, which is a power that every company has over itself.

A company like Youtube, they only have "power" because they have the largest audience, and they only have the largest audience because that audience prefers Youtube. It's entirely consumer-driven. It isn't being forced on anyone. Any action to take Youtube apart will necessarily either require forcing users to use a particular video upload site over the others (anti-competitive, obviously), or it will result in one of the new iterations becoming the "new Youtube" and just building up the same majority stake in the marketplace, as users gravitate to where the largest pool of content is, the same way Youtube got as big as it currently is.

Monopolies created by user preference can't really be taken out by government. It's difficult to challenge them in competition because the monopoly is the feature that attracts the consumers. It isn't a bug, it's a feature.
    Dont forget Google, Amazon, (to a much lesser extent in that sector, Microsoft) hosting services, it's not only about some random or international app/forum.
    I firmly believe it need som regulation but unlike GOP I'm in no rush to cynically do some quick fix just to support my own personal short term chances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Swift? It took them 4 years of his constant lies for them to start slapping that "the contents of this tweet are disputed" label on his bullshit. And it took the people he egged on storming the capitol for them to finally get rid of him. There was nothing "swift" about any of that.
    Swift as is the timespan they finally did.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-01-10 at 11:40 PM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

When you tacitly admit that your party is implicitly a hate group that would necessarily be banned from most social media for their abusive comments. Fantastic.
    Every group would be from their crazies. BLM supporters scream about killing white people ( fingers minority but that is what we are talking about)

We should be striving for a internet that resembles the early 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Every group would be from their crazies. BLM supporters scream about killing white people ( fingers minority but that is what we are talking about)

Then ban those that do. Note that you don't see Democratic lawmakers saying, "Banning BLM will silence us and we won't have any way to communicate!" or "Twitter banning users will prevent us from communicating!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no desire to wait 15 minutes for a picture to download, while trying to determine if that's an elbow or a boob because of the quality of the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

https://www.axios.com/payment-proces...2b9a26d08.html

Gonna need to wait a bit to buy that Trump flag or MAGA hat, Stripe just dropped the Trump campaign and will no longer process payments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont forget Google, Amazon, (to a much lesser extent in that sector, Microsoft) hosting services, it's not only about some random or international app/forum.
    I firmly believe it need som regulation but unlike GOP I'm in no rush to cynically do some quick fix just to support my own personal short term chances.
    I mean, do we have any evidence of any unethical conduct here? By any of these groups?

Choosing not to do business with ethnonationalist CHUDs is entirely within their rights and freedoms, and not something to raise concern over.

And nobody from BLM is suggesting that all left-wingers are going to get banned from all social media and be unable to communicate because those extremists are already marginalized and not given any credence within left-wing circles; they do not have a voice and they have no support or influence in the halls of power.

On the right wing, in the USA? The extremists are the ones in the halls of power.

Pretending the two situations are the same is a false equivalence.

I mean, do we have any evidence of any unethical conduct here? By any of these groups?

Choosing not to do business with ethnonationalist CHUDs is entirely within their rights and freedoms, and not something to raise concern over.

And nobody from BLM is suggesting that all left-wingers are going to get banned from all social media and be unable to communicate because those extremists are already marginalized and not given any credence within left-wing circles; they do not have a voice and they have no support or influence in the halls of power.

On the right wing, in the USA? The extremists are the ones in the halls of power.

Pretending the two situations are the same is a false equivalence.
    Well, when you have professional Crazy Man and Angry Baby stand in Alex Jones, a person who peddles in conspiracy theories like he was breathing air, calling your group crazy and nuts, I think it is time to end it. You don't want Alex Jones to be a voice of reason. That leads to bad places.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Swift as is the timespan they finally did.
    Honestly, Parlor can do what all sites like that do, find a Russian server farm and setup there. Granted, might be a bit on the nose about the whole Russian collusion thing and might setup a bunch of people whos identities would get stolen(SSNs and all that) but that hasn't stopped groups like Stormfront and Gab from operating.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, when you have professional Crazy Man and Angry Baby stand in Alex Jones, a person who peddles in conspiracy theories like he was breathing air, calling your group crazy and nuts, I think it is time to end it. You don't want Alex Jones to be a voice of reason. That leads to bad places.
    about a year ago Qanon people called Alex Jones a psyop and part of mossad so i dont think they care what he thinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, Parlor can do what all sites like that do, find a Russian server farm and setup there.
    It would save the Russians a lot of time in 2024. Instead of trying to drip disinfo through the internet, they could walk across the street and put in a thumbdrive.

15+ Year Old Account
    "I'm being silenced!"
    - some loud dipshit I can still hear

The fact that Conservatives are complaining about being censored on their own news programs with millions of viewers should tell you that it's a disingenuous argument.

If you were actually being censored, we wouldn't be having this conversation about free speech.

I have to admit this has put me into a bit of a bad position. For years, my barometer of right and good has been influenced by "what does Alex Jones say? The opposite must be true."

What do I do now??!?

Burn it to the ground. Twitter is there. Don't use it to manipulate people to the point of violence and/or crime and deal with getting banned if you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I have to admit this has put me into a bit of a bad position. For years, my barometer of right and good has been influenced by "what does Alex Jones say? The opposite must be true."

What do I do now??!?
    Broken clocks being right twice a day and all that.

An anomaly of him for once being reasonable doesn't mean it redefines him entirely.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Yet another false equivalence and whataboutism, Colin did not mean Rioting.
    So what the hell was all that wanton destruction last summer? Because that was rioting. Businesses and homes destroyed, stores looted, many people's jobs gone? Because that was all a riot. And even more destructive and just as illegal as what the Trump supporters did on Wednesday, the only difference here is motive and one being a federal crime and the other is a state crime. I'm all for peaceful protests, but the violence and destruction I saw was outright brutal enough to be a riot. I saw what happened in Minneapolis through the eyes of people on the streets covering the protests and it looked like a god damn war zone. So tell me how in the actual fuck those weren't riots. It was god damn terrorism too.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet you clearly ignore the rather obvious collusion by Silicon Valley to completely deplatform people and control the narrative. With Amazon axing Parler's AWS access and the app being banned from various storefronts, that is directly colluding with Facebook and Twitter doing whatever they can to silence conservatives. I'm sorry but it doesn't take a genius to connect those lines. Considering all those companies are aligned ideologically, it's not at all a surprise that Parler got the shaft. And frankly, wouldn't have just been easier to let the idiots have their own platform to spout their shit? Most tech savvy people are smart enough to stay away from that shit hole anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I saw what happened in Minneapolis
    I doubt it.