Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post

So you don't know what role she played but you still have a problem with her direction of the project? that doesn't seem nonsensical to you at all when you admit you have no idea how much or little she's involved?

What? Stop talking out of your arse. i don't know the extent of the role she played in the Mandalorian production. I have a problem with the direction she took the franchise after she took over from George Lucas. and the Mandalorian? She doesn't get the credit for that in my book.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    What? Stop talking out of your arse. i don't know the extent of the role she played in the Mandalorian production. I have a problem with the direction she took the franchise after she took over from George Lucas. and the Mandalorian? She doesn't get the credit for that in my book.
    I mean you said it your self you don't know what role she play's and didn't even know that the whole force is female thing had nothing to do with starwars nor her past a photo shoot but i'm the one talking out the arse? Do you not see the problem with that line of thought?

You could make a series just about the life of Mara Jade. I just fixed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Agreed re Hamil - holy cow does he suck as an actor. I love the story behind how they "found" Harrison Ford. I can see what you mean about the hokey quality of the acting. I also haven't watched them in order before. Going to have to give that a try.

Thought Rogue One was pretty amazing, too.
    Just don't get me wrong. I love the movies really all of them. Love the Stars Wars universe. Rogue One IS amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    And why do people think Star Wars fans have a problem with female heroes? Ashoka, Mara Jade, Cara Dune, Shak Tii, Mon Mothma, Ventress, Padme, Leia (ffs! ), ...
    What we don't like is poorly written chars and Mary Sues (and Rey is one).
    Not all criticism comes from a misogynistic or anti-feminist perspective but a very loud portion of it does. Calling out those opinions is valid.

One common theme I see against Rey is that she learned the Force very quickly and even that some of her power was allocated to her simply through birth. That's fine if that's your gripe with the series. But the same can be said about Luke, especially since we all know JJ couldn't come up with an original thought, taking all from the OT. Yes, luck took a little bit longer to learn the Force but he still powered up relatively quickly - to the point that Vader underestimated him. Between the OT and ST, the only Force users who put in the work to earn to their skillset were the bad guys. If certain arguments against a character are used then they should be consistent, otherwise, it's natural to pick apart why someone would apply rules to one character but not another.

In my opinion, Luke and Rey are rather boring characters. I admire Luke's heroism but he is a boring character. Rey is Diet Luke. Thats why I don't understand how people were offended by TLJ trying to add depth to either character. Luke, a stoic who retreated when he realized he understood less than he thought, and Rey and idealist person with far too world (galactic) experience for her own ambitions. People hated it and preferred golden boy Luke and defeated backwater Rey.

Also, there are fans whining about the female characters in Mando, questioning every act as if those characters have to work twice as hard to be accepted. Are we supposed to say those people don't have issues with female characters?

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone actually read any of the books yet?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    And why do people think Star Wars fans have a problem with female heroes? Ashoka, Mara Jade, Cara Dune, Shak Tii, Mon Mothma, Ventress, Padme, Leia (ffs! ), ...
    What we don't like is poorly written chars and Mary Sues (and Rey is one).
    Thank you, you have a problem with badly written female characters, or over politised/over religious intersectional dogma - and all of a sudden you're misogynist or fascist or racist

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, that's your assumption mistake there - I never, EVER, said criticism equals hate. Show me the post if you disagree.

What? My judgy attitude? Do you read things before you post them?

I over reacted, but it wasn't specifically aimed at you, I should have said so also.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean you said it your self you don't know what role she play's and didn't even know that the whole force is female thing had nothing to do with starwars nor her past a photo shoot but i'm the one talking out the arse? Do you not see the problem with that line of thought?
    I still don't like the force is female, and the sequels seemed fem pushed, I am not a hater of the sequels, but it is something I observed about them, it really felt like it was anti-male, that seemed political, and i hated that, it wasn't the only thing about the movies and there were many things.. it's that general direction - which Exec producers like KK determine, that and deciding to go with a retelling of 4-6 instead of come up with new ideas, then ofc killing of Luke. So while I generally liked the movies, I hated the direction they took with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, am I the only one disappointed that the High Republic is just a bunch of comics/books and nothing animated/live action? I was quite excited when it was announced, but as more has come out about it ... that enthusiasm has died. Who knows, it may still be enjoyable, i'd have to read it to see, but i'm disappointed we don't get to see episode 1-3 type cinematics.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Just don't get me wrong. I love the movies really all of them. Love the Stars Wars universe. Rogue One IS amazing.
    You're good, and I'll ask the same. There is definitely a lot of legitimate criticism to throw at the movies. I think it gets a little too intense for the wrong reasons with other people.

I might have to watch that again tonight....

- - - Updated - - -

I over reacted, but it wasn't specifically aimed at you, I should have said so also.
    I appreciate you saying that, and no worries what-so-ever. I've done the same thing MANY times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Looks silly to me...fat Jedi is rather contradictory to the minimalism and physical activity that the Jedi have done since their inception

Useless extra pieces on lightsabers that are bound to get destroyed in combat if there was any realistic combat

Stabbing a tree with a lightsaber to completely stop falling? A plasma blade that cuts through pretty much everything...

People writing this don't know anything about Star Wars
    Yes because none of the eastern spiritualism jedi is based on ever have fat gurus or Buddhas....

They're magical they're weight makes no difference.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I still don't like the force is female, and the sequels seemed fem pushed, I am not a hater of the sequels, but it is something I observed about them, it really felt like it was anti-male, that seemed political, and i hated that, it wasn't the only thing about the movies and there were many things.
    without getting into some bodged down discussion what did you actually think was anti male in TFA and ROS, I’m excepting TLJ as they obviously had a big shift there because of the change in directors which they weren’t happen with as they undid like all of it in ROS.

it's that general direction - which Exec producers like KK determine, that and deciding to go with a retelling of 4-6 instead of come up with new ideas, then ofc killing of Luke. So while I generally liked the movies, I hated the direction they took with them.
    I can agree that with the redoing 4-6 part but does it seem fair to Blame Kk for killing off luke? She obviously doesn't have the problem with the character even if we want to say she had nothing to do with the mandolorian the main comic line is all about him which we Proabbly wouldn’t see if the person in charge of the franchise wanted him out of the picture. Wouldn’t it make more sense to point to the directorial change mid way though which war more of JJ’s fault then hers as he jumped project after TFA making them need to find another director?

Rey isn't a Mary Sue.
    Here is a better explanation as i could write in the short time i have:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8Qm5o0oSY
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

without getting into some bodged down discussion what did you actually think was anti male in TFA and ROS, I’m excepting TLJ as they obviously had a big shift there because of the change in directors which they weren’t happen with as they undid like all of it in ROS.

I can agree that with the redoing 4-6 part but does it seem fair to Blame Kk for killing off luke? She obviously doesn't have the problem with the character even if we want to say she had nothing to do with the mandolorian the main comic line is all about him which we Probably wouldn’t see if the person in charge of the franchise wanted him out of the picture. Wouldn’t it make more sense to point to the directorial change mid way though which war more of JJ’s fault then hers as he jumped project after TFA making them need to find another director?
    Unfortunately, we don't really know what actually happens in these things, some of the fan sites report insider info on what is really going down, but I can't prove it's true, and I know they can exaggerate a bit, but over this, the jist seems about right.

there are a number of things that seemed to allude to this overall sense of it, i picked it up when watching the films, didn't like it, but later watching some youtubers and some of their inside info, seemed to correlate and make sense.

My conclusion, I feel KK wanted to remould star wars in her image, which I notice the more ambitious new producers/show or project runners tend to do, sometimes it works when everyone likes the new image, sometimes it doesn't. In this case it didn't. Maybe because of how they rubbished the story of the original - and it seemed to me they gender swapped everything - it is fem positive, it does seem quite intentional.. was it feminist agenda based? that's hard to tell for sure, you can be pro female and not be trying to push feminist agendas even if your actions seem based on those ideals....their rhetoric is mainstream.

Would we be saying the same thing if it were males? Probably not, but I don't think we would like it either, many shows and movies with male leads that are garbage too.

I can't fully analyse this, nor do I really want to, just telling you how it came across and how I feel, it's like the new star wars didn't try to conclude the old, but tried to remove the old and re cast it - with what happened in 709, 1-6 seems almost pointless.

My hope is that they create a new story, where the world of 7-9 becomes a destroyed reality, and Rey uses the same jedi cave Ezra does to skip to a new one where all the EU retconning hadn't happened. (Rather than change the past - as if it didn't happen). When Rey uses the force caves, she goes to the original canon reality with the original EU events that didn't have the first order happen

This way they can restore the EU canon, and the events of 7-9 still happened in canon, because Rey comes from that world, and brings vital knowledge of a new threat that ended it, and now we have a world where characters dead from the other one are alive in this one, and they can do something new. in the original canon again, Luke isn't a loser but restored to what he became in the EU, but Rey is now in it.

I'll do something like that. The divulgence will happen during the events of the Mandalorian so it stays in the canon while the sequels although they happened become the alternate reality. They could even use the events in the Mandalorian to show how the First order never arose in the main universe or main time line, and how it did in Rey's

Yes Rey has to survive, becuase7-9 has to mean something even though it no longer is the sequence of events of the new mainstream reality. It happened, it needs to be relevant too, without 7-9, the main reality can't be saved - it's the first order and sequence of events there that ensures this new threat wipes out the galaxy, and Rey is bale to determine wit the aid of force ghosts in the 7-9 reality, that the only hope of defeating this new threat that could wipe out existence lies in a place where the events that lead to the First order don't happen, i.e. the original canon reality, and so this is where she goes. So yeh, Rey has to be involved for all her haters, but the new stories would have a much better relationship and development of the character alongside favourites. We get to see Rey work with an EU Luke and Kylo and other characters, and the new star wars movies start a new story that faces this new threat where this reality has a chance of winning.

They don't have to focus or use Luke they can do whatever they want. I'd do something like that.

Win win, you don't invalidate 7-9, but they aren't what happened in the history of the reality that survives, and they give us Rey. All the other characters from 7-9 are still around, but just different in the main stream reality, according to how they were in the Eu.. It's sort of a reset that doesn't invalidate 7-9 but restores the original canon and uses both to forge a new future beyond the era of the Skywalkers

fans get their happy over powered Skywalker family stuff, and also get anew future for star wars.

at the end of the day it's only Resistance and the sequels that have the first order, which is a drop compared to the Eu content, I have no problem with Rey being extremely powerful either as a female
    Last edited by Beloren; 2021-01-11 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Eh, not really true. Some of it certainly the rest of it is just space opera scifi fantasy. Basically a staple in adult fiction since..idk forever.

But this particular section of star wars looks like it's for kids.
    Yes star wars is for kids. It's always been for kids.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Yes star wars is for kids. It's always been for kids.
    the sound of a million facepalms ring out in the force..jesus fucking christ

Lil @Jotaux apparently didn't check his own math, lol. Thanks for the link.

I have a quick question for you - how are streaming sites like Disney+ making money off shows like The Mandalorian? Is it just through monthly subscription fees?
    If you are using that article which doesn't use profit, just gross box office, you REALLY need to recheck your math.

- - - Updated - - -

With all due respect to your analysis, you're just making up these numbers.

Where do you get your net/gross ratio numbers?
    Where are you getting your individual profit numbers re specific movies?

Just as an example about where you could be wrong, The Rise of Skywalker made $300M profit. You claim above it didn't. So what else did you get wrong?
    Disney had an unprecedented deal for 60% of the domestic box office but the usual 40% for international. That article much like the first is trash, excluding costs to inflate the profit.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    If you are using that article which doesn't use profit, just gross box office, you REALLY need to recheck your math.

- - - Updated - - -

Disney had an unprecedented deal for 60% of the domestic box office but the usual 40% for international. That article much like the first is trash, excluding costs to inflate the profit.
    You should have the rest of the thread, we resolved it all.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account

Rey isn't a Mary Sue.

- - - Updated - - -

I liked all three. Although, VII had me walking away with a bit of "haven't I already seen this before" but I did enjoy it nonetheless. VIII was my least favorite, although it set up 9 nicely. I thoroughly enjoyed XI.
    Rey IS THE DEFINITION of Mary Sue.

No need to point out why, we have done this in million other relative threads. Suffice to say the argument about Luke being the equivalent in Ep.IV doesn't mean shizz. Disney with the budget thrown at the whole sequel trilogy should have paid to get better results in designing a better, more cohesive story and a more nuanced character power development.

You say that Ep.VIII was your least favorite, when it was actually the most original movie of the Sequel Trilogy. A true fresh take on Star Wars. Too bad it didn't mesh at all with the rehash of Ep.4 and the clusterfuck that was ep IX (not XI, that's Roman for eleven). They should have given the trilogy to Rian Johnson from the start, instead of trusting Jar Jar Abrams.

Let's agree to disagree and let me state for the record that your opinion counts as nothing if you actually enjoyed RoS
    /spit@Blizzard

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Rey IS THE DEFINITION of Mary Sue.

No need to point out why, we have done this in million other relative threads. Suffice to say the argument about Luke being the equivalent in Ep.IV doesn't mean shizz. Disney with the budget thrown at the whole sequel trilogy should have paid to get better results in designing a better, more cohesive story and a more nuanced character power development.

You say that Ep.VIII was your least favorite, when it was actually the most original movie of the Sequel Trilogy. A true fresh take on Star Wars. Too bad it didn't mesh at all with the rehash of Ep.4 and the clusterfuck that was ep IX (not XI, that's Roman for eleven). They should have given the trilogy to Rian Johnson from the start, instead of trusting Jar Jar Abrams.

Let's agree to disagree and let me state for the record that your opinion counts as nothing if you actually enjoyed RoS
    It's just thrilling to discuss a topic with someone who is open to new ideas and considerations. I want to thank you for being everything we expect from a dire-hard and rabid Star Wars fan base.

We can agree to disagree on whatever your little mind makes up - it doesn't matter to us, because the conversation with you was over before it started.

Rey isn't a Mary Sue.
    Least favorite doesn't equate to most (or not most) original - shout if you're confused about that.
    Because grossing a billion+ on each movie was just terrible, right?

Not only do you exude obtuseness, you really just suck at making any kind of argument worth having a discussion about. Give us a holler when you're open to having a civilized conversation, and we start anew.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    It's just thrilling to discuss a topic with someone who is open to new ideas and considerations. I want to thank you for being everything we expect from a dire-hard and rabid Star Wars fan base.

We can agree to disagree on whatever your little mind makes up - it doesn't matter to us, because the conversation with you was over before it started.

Rey isn't a Mary Sue.
    Least favorite doesn't equate to most (or not most) original - shout if you're confused about that.
    Because grossing a billion+ on each movie was just terrible, right?

Not only do you exude obtuseness, you really just suck at making any kind of argument worth having a discussion about. Give us a holler when you're open to having a civilized conversation, and we start anew.
    There's no need for discussion with anyone who actually enjoyed RoS and thinks ticket gross actually means a quality movie.

That was the point of my post, but i shouldn't have expected you'd get it.
    /spit@Blizzard

You should have the rest of the thread, we resolved it all.
    And you should have read the article before you mentioned me.

Just make all 3 Old Republic Games canon and morph them into an epic long ass series.