Poll: Should Parler be deplatformed?

Page 20 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    So "literally" can literally mean its own opposite.
    Yes, I'm aware that so many people have fucked it up so often in this case that some concessions were made in deference to their ignorance. I refuse to play nice about it. *shrug*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    I think it is a bad move.
    Just because they can't spoil their vitriol openly does not mean they stop spewing. They'll go back to their old methods and networks, and forces them to come up with new ways or how to better remain under the radar on the current platforms.

And it does not address the underlying issue, WHY millions still buy into such bullshit.
    But hey, as long as the masses are nicely divided and fight amongst themselves promises of change/improvement are all thats needed to get voted back into office.
    Nobody cares.

None of this is about trying to change their minds. Everyone knows they're a lost cause. You can't reason someone out of a position they've irrationalized themselves into.

It's entirely about not working with them, and not having to deal with their bullshit right in our faces. They can fuck off and believe whatever they want to believe. Nobody else cares what they do in the darkness. We just have no interest in shining a light for them any more.

Just because they can't spoil their vitriol openly does not mean they stop spewing. They'll go back to their old methods and networks, and forces them to come up with new ways or how to better remain under the radar on the current platforms.
    Stopping them spreading it openly is the point.

And it does not address the underlying issue, WHY millions still buy into such bullshit.
    But hey, as long as the masses are nicely divided and fight amongst themselves promises of change/improvement are all thats needed to get voted back into office.
    It limits how far that rhetoric can spread, and removes tools for growing the movement. Seems like a good thing to me but at the end of the day this is just business, it's a company limiting their own liability. Unless you want to use the law to force people to associate with one another, it is what it is, irrelevant as to whether it's good or bad.

You underestimated the power of social media. Trump being able to broadcast his lies to 80 million of him followers with a single tweet is a power that no politicians had prior to the rise of the social media companies. Combined with Parler being de-platformed, he now has no effective way of reaching all of his followers. This is something that should have been done a long time ago.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-01-11 at 09:52 PM.

Great, if you are that concerned, then start your own social media site, and let them say whatever they want.

Ouch!

80TB of Parler Posts, Videos, and Other Data Leaked by Security Researchers
    It appears that the researchers were able to collect this information before AWS removed Parler from its platform.

On Twitter, a researcher going by donk_enby posted about capturing data from Parler. According to them, a press release from Twilio, a B2B messaging provider, revealed the details of Parler's security partner Okta, which also said it will not support Parler.

Soon others found that Parler's phone and email verification were no longer working, and that it was possible to create accounts in Parler's system, as admin users. A Reddit post explained this in more detail — essentially, the Forgot password link would normally require verification. But because Parler's communications tools were not working, researchers were able to override this and log into accounts. And once they were able to log into accounts with administrator access, they were able to create new accounts, also with administrator access. These accounts were then used to take data dumps from Parler through crowdsourcing here, creating a 'Parler tracker'.

However, according to the researchers, the data including deleted posts, because (according to their Twitter post) Parler did not actually delete posts when they were removed, but simply removed the pointer to that post. This is actually a fairly common practice in many scenarios, as the data is for all practical purposes “inaccessible” to users while doing this.

According to the security researchers, video and image data still has EXIF data (metadata of things like time, date, and location), and some of the other data they've been able to gather is the Verified Accounts documents — on Parler, users that are verified have done so by uploading photos of their government IDs.

The researchers said that this data could be useful to law enforcement who want to identify the people that took part in the violence in Washington on January 6.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I was reading some of his leaked dump early this morning and some of it is pretty wild.
    i am going to guess parlor is going to drop their suit against AWS very soon.
    They don't realize how much info they have on parlor and can use against them in court.
    This is before they even see this dump.

it only gets worse from here if everything starts becoming public.

They just need to goose step it over to one of the 3rd tier server hosting companies and quietly milk as much money out of the MagaSheep they can before bankruptcy
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    i am going to guess parlor is going to drop their suit against AWS very soon.
    They don't realize how much info they have on parlor and can use against them in court.
    This is before they even see this dump.
    Parler sued Amazon after the data dump was brought to light.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    https://parler.com

Pretty sure it's an independent website.
    Sorry but when I click on that this is what it says....

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Way too late with this post; Parler was shut down.

Because AWS is no longer hosting them.

They can still be hosted somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Parler sued Amazon after the data dump was brought to light.
    no one said they were smart...lol.

i would imagine AWS has way more information than just that data dump

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Because AWS is no longer hosting them.

They can still be hosted somewhere else.
    i am sure they can get a referral to an Russian server farm from Rudy right?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Way too late with this post; Parler was shut down.
    say it ain't so! Where are all these alt-right neo-nazi "patriots" going to go for planning their next insurrection? I mean they've already sworn off both Facebook and Twitter so obviously they're not on there any more. Parler is where they all went to. What ever will they do now?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    no one said they were smart...lol.

i would imagine AWS has way more information than just that data dump

- - - Updated - - -

i am sure they can get a referral to an Russian server farm from Rudy right?
    well knowing the people involved, my guess it goes to Saudi Arabia and not Russia considering this is a Mercer family venture. But Russia is a possibility for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    say it ain't so! Where are all these alt-right neo-nazi "patriots" going to go for planning their next insurrection? I mean they've already sworn off both Facebook and Twitter so obviously they're not on there any more. Parler is where they all went to. What ever will they do now?!?!?
    Parler will probably return hosted on a provider outside the US. Some data centre in Russia is a likely bet.

haha Gab is always an option. was checking out parlertakes twitter yesterday and apparently a ton of influencers are making their own websites to try to make a quick buck off this fiasco and were hawking their pages on parler just before shutdown.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

The site got disconnected from the host earlier today.

Apparently Parler has issued a lawsuit against Amazon and has requested an injunction on their site being disconnected from AWS until the trial is over.

Frankly, it's not a case they can win, but I think it can bring more light to lawmakers about just how much control BigTech has over the internet these days. AWS is one of the most widely used hosting services in the world, and for good reason, Amazon has funneled a crap ton of money into building that infrastructure. Very few independent companies have that kind of capital to drop on creating hosting services that would allow a site to rival something like Twitter or Facebook. Too many companies have also gotten far too cozy and could easily be canned by Amazon on a whim if they so much as sniff at breaking the rules.

so with this massive data breach im assuming you have data protection rules?

will the owners of parler be sued into poverty now?