Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Dear lord no. For one, it would no sense if races from the Shadowlands came to the planes of the living. For two, it's cringe enough as it is on RP server. I don't want these races making it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Personally I find Gnomes pathetic. Do people actually want to play them?

Yeah, I guess they do. Can't be to alien to accept the possibility that we are all different and like different things.
    No, it's not an alien concept and I was posing the question for anyone who'd like to chime up and show their support.

So did you actually want to play as Venthyr?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, just no. We really don't need new races without substance. Each new race is just cosmetic crap at this point. They have their starter area and then after completing it nothing else related to their race ever happens. So fuck it.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I personally think Venthyr are very ugly. Do people actually want to play as them?

Also gonna say I wouldn't want to play either for the same reason as the first reply in this thread. They have no place among the mortal races.
    Can you play a Vampire in WoW? no.
    Do they fit perfectly? yes.

They do have a place among mortals, because Blizzard has been setting them up like other allied races (helping their covenant, gaining reputation, male and female models, up-to-date textures and animations, varied customization options).

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    I don't think any shadowlands races should be playable.
    Definitely agree with this. Both Venthyr and sylvar are beings from other realm, we don't know if they can traverse the veil and stay in mortal realm.

I'd prefer if they reused Venthyr/Sylvar Models for azerothian races like San'layn and redeemed Satyr.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    Definitely agree with this. Both Venthyr and sylvar are beings from other realm, we don't know if they can traverse the veil and stay in mortal realm.

I'd prefer if they reused Venthyr/Sylvar Models for azerothian races like San'layn and redeemed Satyr.
    They can. They venture out of the Shadowlands all the time (Draka and her buddy spying on a Legion world, Kyrian coming to collect a dead body...)

NO, get out of here, get out of town and don't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
    They can. They venture out of the Shadowlands all the time (Draka and her buddy spying on a Legion world, Kyrian coming to collect a dead body...)
    The purpose of Kyrian is to leave Shadowlands to collect souls, so they obviously need to have this ability. It does not mean Venthyr and sylvar can do the same, since their roles in Shadowlands are different. Again, Draka was master Spy, a special case.

The purpose of Kyrian is to leave Shadowlands to collect souls, so they obviously need to have this ability. It does not mean Venthyr and sylvar can do the same, since their roles in Shadowlands are different. Again, Draka was master Spy, a special case.
    And her Arachnoid friend.

The only problem would be Venthyr, with the light exposure. Which, would be solved like Forsaken being healed with the Light.

I'd rather have the gargoyles playable than the venthyrs themselves...

And her Arachnoid friend.

The only problem would be Venthyr, with the light exposure. Which, would be solved like Forsaken being healed with the Light.
    Well, fair enough. Even if we assume all denizens of Shadowlands are able to stay in mortal realms without any limitations for unlimited time, they still have no reason to do so and join some faction. It seems our actions will help stabilize Shadowlands, so why should Sylvar and Venthyr want to join any faction? We've seen on several occasions that they really don't care about mortal worlds at all.

Well, fair enough. Even if we assume all denizens of Shadowlands are able to stay in mortal realms without any limitations for unlimited time, they still have no reason to do so and join some faction. It seems our actions will help stabilize Shadowlands, so why should Sylvar and Venthyr want to join any faction? We've seen on several occasions that they really don't care about mortal worlds at all.
    Because you're helping their covenant and gaining reputation with them, just liked BFA's allied races?

The BFA allied races didn't have much of a reason, either, to join our factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Venthyr would definitely fit the Horde most. They thirst and suffered a power shortage, they have a treacherous monarch and rebellion. They have a nobility and arrogance to them. They even have their own Wretched/Withered type.

These guys are one magic well away from being an Elf species.

That said I don't think they'll actually be signing up to come to Azeroth. Not unless their trouble with the Light sends the Lightforged Draenei to purge them. These guys have a job to do in the Afterlife. It would take something really big to move them away from the Shadowlands.
    Whoa.. red Nightborne. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothal View Post
    It could work if the expac ends with something like the whole concept of the afterlives being destroyed, with Shadowlands somehow materializing in the Reality plane of existence.
    Since they are part of the afterlife (read After Life) wouldn't they just convert into Anima if the plane was destroyed? Flooding the Material Plane with specters of the dead (even corporeal ones) would throw so many things out of balance. No their time is over... they should not just up and move in to our reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

I really don't want SL covenants as playable races in the mortal plane supporting mortal factions.

It goes against pretty much everything we've seen from the Shadowlands thus far.

While I'm not opposed, personally what makes more sense to me, is that you get a new "race" that's essentially just "a soul". You start out in Oribos, and you immediately choose a Covenant, and your appearance (and perhaps "racials") are based on that Covenant choice.

Because I mean, you're not going to be a Kyrian that joins the Necrolords or a Venthyr that joins the Night Fae.

I would personally call this race an "Ancient". So for reference, you would be an "Ancient Paladin" or "Ancient Death Knight", etc. My thinking being A) it sounds cool, B) the Jailer specifically calls out that only "the Old Ones" could use the teleporter from the Maw, and C) the name needs to be something ambiguous enough that covers all four covenant "forms".

Honestly, I kind of dig the idea. As long as the racials weren't garbage (I prefer fun "flavor" racials anyways), I'd love to play some of the new races we've seen in Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Honestly, I kind of dig the idea. As long as the racials weren't garbage (I prefer fun "flavor" racials anyways), I'd love to play some of the new races we've seen in Shadowlands.
    The active racials would, probably, be the covenant abilities.

Can you play a Vampire in WoW? no.
    Do they fit perfectly? yes.
    I don't think this answers the question I posed.

Do people really want to play as them. It's a question of whether you actually want to play as this, not whether they fit or not. I mean if we're really going to boil it down, there's no real race that doesn't fit in the game, and no case where we have 'Can you play X in WoW' wouldn't apply.

Can you play as Gnolls in WoW? No. Do they fit perfectly? Yes. You could say the exact same because you'd just as easily assume all the gaps are filled by considering them a playable race. Whatever they lack, like a racial mount or racial talents or even a female/male counterpart could be a part of that assumption; 'perfectly' is subjective right? Well is Venthyr perfect if the race is bound to the Shadowlands realm? Are they perfect if their race lacks certain animations that most every other race has? If we consider that 'well new lore and new gameplay can change them and let them be added as a new race' then that all applies to any race. There's no such thing as a race that *doesn't* fit if we consider these gaps being filled.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-01-12 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I don't think this answers the question I posed.

Do people really want to play as them. It's a question of whether you actually want to play as this, not whether they fit or not. I mean if we're really going to boil it down, there's no real race that doesn't fit in the game, and no case where we have 'Can you play X in WoW' wouldn't apply.

Can you play as Gnolls in WoW? No. Do they fit perfectly? Yes. You could say the exact same because you'd just as easily assume all the gaps are filled by considering them a playable race. Whatever they lack, like a racial mount or racial talents or even a female/male counterpart could be a part of that assumption; 'perfectly' is subjective right? Well is Venthyr perfect if the race is bound to the Shadowlands realm? Are they perfect if their race lacks certain animations that most every other race has? If we consider that 'well new lore and new gameplay can change them and let them be added as a new race' then that all applies to any race. There's no such thing as a race that *doesn't* fit if we consider these gaps being filled.
    The thing is there's a lack of mythological creatures, like the Vampire, Faun and Angel, in a game with playable Mythological creatures like the Orcs, Minotaur, Trolls, Goblins, High elves, Zombies, Dwarves, Gnomes, Wood elves and Werewolves.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythic_humanoids

Id say its likely that the Kyrians and Sylvar will join the Alliance because of the fact Uther and Ysera are their respective "undead heroes" which corrispond primarily with Alliance themed chars, Ysera having a close bond to Tyrande, Malfurion and having a Night Elf preffered form, while Uther is obviously a former human.

In contrast, I am placing my bets that the Venthyr and Necrolord Abominations will join the Horde because of the fact they'd fill the undead roster up a bit more, also because they both have a Horde specific hero assosiated with them.