Unhappy Sylvanas is being mind-controlled... again

OR "Trying to make sense of her actions up until now"

This isn't Sylvanas fan cope or cry for redemption, this is me trying to find a reasonable explanation for everything that's been happening with her until recently. And after the latest abomination of a cinematic I've come to a conclusion. And as much as it pains me to say it, I think the Jailer has been compelling Sylvanas to do his bidding the same way Arthas had done years ago.

My theory assumes a few things:
    1. Souls that had direct contact with the Frostmourne and the Helm of domination are vulnerable to Jailer's attacks
    2. Jailer needs a lot of anima to exert his powers.

End of WOTLK:
    Sylvanas kills herself atop the Icecrown. Her presesence becomes known to the Jailer who, desperate to break free, seizes the opportunity to reclaim the former slave of the Frostmourne and gain a potentially useful asset. He hijacks her soul and brings her to the Maw where he binds her soul to his will. He sends his sleeper agent back to Azeroth. He doesn't have enough anima to fully control her there but he's playing the long game. He knows that in time she'll prove useful.

Just to point it out, when I say mind-control I think of the way Lich King controlled his death knights and the like, that is the voice in your head compelling you to do things, you're fully aware of what you're doing but can't stop it. So not exactly a mindless zombie.

CATA and onwards
    Sylvanas mostly does her thing, the Jailer's voice usually not loud enough to be able to control her. Perhaps she's trying to find info on him behind the scenes.

LEGION
    Jailer's influence grows, he sends Muelzhala to name Sylvanas the warchief, the time's when she'll be of use is fast approaching. This is why it's surprising to Sylvanas. She wasn't in on the plan. (Perhaps the deal with Eyir in Broken Isles wasn't for getting immortality but to try to turn Jailer's forces against him, but that's just baseless speculation and retcon territory)

THE ARBITER BREAKS
    With the souls pouring into the Maw, using his powers to control Sylvanas becomes trivial to the Jailer. She's no longer able to fight his voice. He sends her to spread death and she does.

BFA happens. SHADOWLANDS trailer happens. Sylvanas' choice cinematic happens and we're here. She acts so weird in this cinematic because she's been fighting against his control the entire time.

That's about it.

While it's not the worst theory I've heard - it doesn't explain why she wouldn't warn anyone she has a new "mega lich king" in her head.

And it doesn't explain why he'd suddenly struggle to control her once she's actually in the Shadowlands.
    I'm afraid it's much more likely that our writers struggle with character consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by bagina View Post
    OR "Trying to make sense of her actions up until now"

This isn't Sylvanas fan cope or cry for redemption, this is me trying to find a reasonable explanation for everything that's been happening with her until recently. And after the latest abomination of a cinematic I've come to a conclusion. And as much as it pains me to say it, I think the Jailer has been compelling Sylvanas to do his bidding the same way Arthas had done years ago.

My theory assumes a few things:
    1. Souls that had direct contact with the Frostmourne and the Helm of domination are vulnerable to Jailer's attacks
    2. Jailer needs a lot of anima to exert his powers.

End of WOTLK:
    Sylvanas kills herself atop the Icecrown. Her presesence becomes known to the Jailer who, desperate to break free, seizes the opportunity to reclaim the former slave of the Frostmourne and gain a potentially useful asset. He hijacks her soul and brings her to the Maw where he binds her soul to his will. He sends his sleeper agent back to Azeroth. He doesn't have enough anima to fully control her there but he's playing the long game. He knows that in time she'll prove useful.

Just to point it out, when I say mind-control I think of the way Lich King controlled his death knights and the like, that is the voice in your head compelling you to do things, you're fully aware of what you're doing but can't stop it. So not exactly a mindless zombie.

CATA and onwards
    Sylvanas mostly does her thing, the Jailer's voice usually not loud enough to be able to control her. Perhaps she's trying to find info on him behind the scenes.

LEGION
    Jailer's influence grows, he sends Muelzhala to name Sylvanas the warchief, the time's when she'll be of use is fast approaching. This is why it's surprising to Sylvanas. She wasn't in on the plan. (Perhaps the deal with Eyir in Broken Isles wasn't for getting immortality but to try to turn Jailer's forces against him, but that's just baseless speculation and retcon territory)

THE ARBITER BREAKS
    With the souls pouring into the Maw, using his powers to control Sylvanas becomes trivial to the Jailer. She's no longer able to fight his voice. He sends her to spread death and she does.

BFA happens. SHADOWLANDS trailer happens. Sylvanas' choice cinematic happens and we're here. She acts so weird in this cinematic because she's been fighting against his control the entire time.

That's about it.
    It's possible, but do keep in mind that death was not the only force at work in icecrown, and though he has not manifested again Yogg-Saron's vapors and whispers still linger in Ulduar as of Legion.

So there may be more forces at work than we're seeing clearly.
    It might also explain why death has lied to the void and seeks to make a bargain with the light.

After all the void can protect from death's influence to a significant extent, as can be seen in the Nerubians' immunity to LK mind control and plague, while death in turn is not so resistant to the void as to be immune as can be seen by various undead (forsaken) followers of the Twilight's Hammer.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    While it's not the worst theory I've heard - it doesn't explain why she wouldn't warn anyone she has a new "mega lich king" in her head.

And it doesn't explain why he'd suddenly struggle to control her once she's actually in the Shadowlands.
    I'm afraid it's much more likely that our writers struggle with character consistency.
    Bold of you to assume WoW actually has writers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet another Villain where they're being manipulated instead of "Choosing to be evil"

Plausible but that'd definitely be disappointing. Yay, another mind-controlled, everybody is nice on Azeroth in fact, until they get MC'd. That wouldn't be a shame if there were actual bad guys on Azeroth from time to time, doing bad things because they love that and that's it.

Mind-controlling could fit sure, but I'm pretty sure we'll have that arc in Void/Light expac one day, and we had it already.

I'd be more inclined to appreciate the story if Sylvanas just went rogue on her own will, even if she might have been slightly pushed by Jailer during Edge of Night events. Like, she's gone bad, because she actually was from the beginning and only needed that little push to cross the line. Would be more believable.

Would be a excuse for crappy writing I guess.
    Do you hear the voices too?

3+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. They should just kill her off at this point. She's in no way fit to be redeempted
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

By now she is being mind controlled. The Sylvana we "like" is the mind controlled one. Not free her.

5+ Year Old Account
    @bagina I think that's the best explanation for Sylvanas' sudden warmongering in BfA, while at the same time giving her Jailor pal some agency, instead of the burger of nothingness he's atm.

But again, seeing as how Sylvie's ultimate motivations changed four times in as many years, trying to explore them is nothing but an exercise in frustration.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

There is a reason already in place.

The writers are terrible.

/thread