10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    What could Trump get away with? What could he seriously do that does not require, at the very least, scrutiny from other governmental institutions or departments?

Without doubt Russia wanted Trump to be elected because they knew his America First agenda would align with their global ambitions and that he would be a very poor president, although I would imagine that the chaos he has dumped on America in the last few weeks is beyond their wildest dreams, but this is a far cry from the claim that he was doing Putin's bidding.

Ultimately for the claims that he was Putin's puppet to be true you would need a staggering amount of incompetence and/or corruption throughout the whole US government and thoroughly useless press not to uncover any of it.

Focus on what he has done wrong - there's enough of it!
    How much of Trump’s conversations with Putin is monitored? How many people monitor them? How are those people empowered to act if they suspect impropriety? And what, if anything, can they expect to be the result if they know roughly half the politicians Washington have no interest in punishing trump in the slightest, for anything?

And again, like I said, that trumps campaign colluded directly with Russia is not a secret; it happened. A campaign trump stocked with cronies and yes-men, many of whom have been found guilty of federal crimes. I have very little doubt many things about Trump’s actions as president were discussed directly with Russian individuals in exchange for their disinformation services and support, and none of trumps cronies we’re going to squeal.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    How much of Trump’s conversations with Putin is monitored? How many people monitor them? How are those people empowered to act if they suspect impropriety? And what, if anything, can they expect to be the result if they know roughly half the politicians Washington have no interest in punishing trump in the slightest, for anything?

And again, like I said, that trumps campaign colluded directly with Russia is not a secret; it happened. A campaign trump stocked with cronies and yes-men, many of whom have been found guilty of federal crimes. I have very little doubt many things about Trump’s actions as president were discussed directly with Russian individuals in exchange for their disinformation services and support, and none of trumps cronies we’re going to squeal.
    I have no idea.

So? This doesn't prove that he was Putin's puppet.

Ultimately you are playing into Trump's and his supporters' hands because I guarantee you in a few months time when the dust has settled and people are looking for answers they will much prefer to talk about the things that are false or unprovable than the things that are true. But you carry on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    Remember when we didn't have to worry about the outgoing President trying to overthrow the government, or pardon all his (criminal) friends/self, or damage democracy in ways that might take years or decades to heal? I miss those days...

(and republicans were ALL IN on impeaching him)
    Remember the days when George W was thought of fondly as a not so shitty president?

Fuck that was yesterday!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Remember the days when George W was thought of fondly as a not so shitty president?

Fuck that was yesterday!!!
    I mean, there's shitty president, and then there's shitty human.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    there's shitty human.

https://www.npr.org/sections/congres...ly-appropriate
    Last edited by szechuan; 2021-01-12 at 05:31 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    I mean, there's shitty president, and then there's shitty human.
    Insert "why not both" meme

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    ideally they sell it to someone who is highly litigious and motivated to make him pay it lol
    That could be a a foreign country or at least disguised.

I'm sure that country would only ask for intelligence to pay off the debt. Remember Trump gets lifetime intelligence briefings.

Another example is why you actually vet Presidential candidates, especially shady real estate losers like Trump.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Remember Kevin McCarthy and "other unnamed Republicans" saying that Trump had "accepted some responsibility" yesterday?

Those were good times.

Seriously, Republicans have accomplished a great self-own. In their hatred of "anonymous sources" and their own abuse as "anonymous sources", "anonymous Republican sources" are now as wholly uncredible and untrustworthy as Republicans think all anonymous sources are.

I would really hope with his comments today that anybody sitting on the fence would recognize Trump has no regrets about what happened and needs to be gone now. He's still actively encouraging people to revolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Just because you cut ties, doesn't absolve the debt. A service company cutting off your service (phone, electric, water, etc...) because you haven't paid your bill doesn't mean you don't owe them the money anymore.
    I didn't say that. I thought they might start repo.

ideally they sell it to someone who is highly litigious and motivated to make him pay it lol
    Mike Bloomburg buying it up and using it as leverage to a) expose how little he's really worth and b) bankrupt him would be hilarious. Someone needs to tweet him to sell him on this idea (assuming he's on twitter).
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    They will not be able to do anything until the debt is due however given the size of the amount owed and hits Trump's businesses have taken as a result of COIVD and the last week I am not sure what options are realistically open to Deutsche Bank.

garbage. he did it because its what trump and the gop want (or what fox news want). (and usually what capital wants)

the refusal to even look at your own toxic political culture and structural problems is baffling. 'it must be the foreigners' attitude. Putin secretly is controlling the world. You might as well join Qanon and say the jews are doing it. there is no difference.

no its 50 years of courting racists as an electoral strategy and hyper capitalism.
    Nah, it's not "garbage" to assume some of Trump's actions in office have been the result of foreign influence just because you have a different theory, sorry. You're also under the mistaken impression that there can't be BOTH products of systemic issues within the US AND an asshole in power being promised favors from a foreign entity who has a vested interest in the dismantling of the US. You've tried this bullshit "YOU CAN'T SEE THE PROBLEMS IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY" tact before and it didn't work then either because, surprise!, I'm not one of those who thinks that the US is even close to perfect. Very few here do, in fact, so I'll thank you to refrain from the baseless attacks.

Or you could just continue using hyperbolic strawmen that will just get you ignored. Either way, not my problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would the $300 million loan with Deutsche Bank be settled with them cutting ties?
    They would collect it when the contract says, take the money or Trump's properties as contractually allowed, then walk. No more business to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    "People thought that what I said was totally appropriate."
    Who?

As per usual, Trump goes with "people are saying" to a) appeal to popularity and b) not be so easily accused of lying.

But I'm sure some of the locals will come out and explain why what he said was nice and yuge and bigly. I saw @Green Jesus; the other day, perhaps he could explain how what Trump said was appropriate, and in-line with what Presidents have said in the past.

15+ Year Old Account
    "People thought what I said was totally appropriate..."

Yeah, they did. And then they stormed the capitol and got five people killed.

Is this complete lack of contrition or even regret enough to sway Republicans? It's utterly ridiculous that with days to prepare a statement, this was the best he could muster.

That would depend on the terms of the contract or agreement. I'd expect they almost always have some concession allowing the bank to get their money however they need to if the client isn't able to pay, whether that's in putting a lean on the estate or garinshing their paycheck or whatever. The agreement is still in place when they cut you off, they're just saying they won't deal with you as a client anymore, but you still owe us the money you agreed to before.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...visit-border-/

“The City of Alamo’s City Commission and City Administration has NOT been officially contacted regarding this visit and therefore, have NO DETAILS regarding his itinerary,” the city posted on its website.
    Eyyyyy, in a surprise to nobody, nobody in the Trump administration decided to let anyone in Alamo know what the fuck is going on.

They were probably worried the city would demand that they pay their overdue bills before returning to ensure that Trump is the biggest loser at the Alamo in US history.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Trump is the biggest loser at the Alamo in US history.
    Do you think Trump knows the city of Alamo is not where the famous fort is located?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

Trump is clearly trying to keep as much of the population with him as possible. Remember, this is a man who needs to project the image of "trodden-upon underdog" to get the blue collar support -- yes, I know he was born a gazillionaire, that's still the image he needs. That's why everything's rigged against him, even when he's in charge.

The strategy, then, was to protest what Trump likely knew was an honest and legal election -- simply to keep that support up. "They took something from you," Trump says, "you're the silent majority, you actually won, but they took it. Send me money."

Did Trump think he would win the election, before the election? Yes. He almost certainly did.

After the election, did Trump think he had a real shot of illegally seizing the WH and, somehow, have everyone accept it and have another four-year term? No, not even Trump is that delusional. Although some of his rabid fanbase are, which Trump needs. But he did need enough of them to create an army of money. People to watch his TV show. People to donate to his campaign, which he would steal from and keep the money for himself. People to buy his brand. People to stay at his hotels. And most importantly, enough of a rabid fanbase that, in 2022 and 2024, he can tell other politicians "Give me money and fame, and I will tell my rabid fanbase to vote for you. Otherwise I will label you a traitor and you'll never win."

Look, Trump is a narcissist to the point of insantiy, might be suffering mentally, and is too fat to live long. But this isn't panic. This is acting. This is lying. And Trump is very good at lying -- he does almost nothing else. If anything, I suspect the panic was when the crowd went further than he expected. Trump might very well have seen the power he was trying to cultivate nose-dive like his net worth when the crowd he inspired to commit insurrection actually did it. Now he has Twitter cut off. Now he has Pence mad at him, McConnell mad at him, and a few others. Now he might not get that pardon or that TV show.

If that's the panic you meant, then we are agreed.
    I'm feeling some strong parallels between Trumpism and Far Cry 5's cult, especially within this post.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Do you think Trump knows the city of Alamo is not where the famous fort is located?
    I didn't, so he sure as hell probably doesn't.