10+ Year Old Account
    Which is more "disgusting and shameful"; to have a reporter correctly point out that your views don't line up with reality, or losing your shit on international television because you can't handle even a modicum of criticism and opposition?

Pretty sure the answer's fuckin' clear. That exchange was disgusting and shameful. But not because of the reporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    With Pence already saying he won’t, what then is the point of this current vote?
    It's both performative and for the sake of history. We know where they all stand now, and this can be looked back at as a historical record of the Republican party less than one week after Trump incited an attempted insurrection.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's both performative and for the sake of history. We know where they all stand now, and this can be looked back at as a historical record of the Republican party less than one week after Trump incited an attempted insurrection.
    What does Pence have to do with removal via the impeachment process? He's not even going to be VP by the time it's decided, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    What does Pence have to do with removal via the impeachment process? He's not even going to be VP by the time it's decided, right?
    Because it's within his authority to do so and the House is reminding him of that, and also letting Republicans go down as opposing removing Trump from office via pressuring Pence on the 25th and via impeachment.

Pence was told unless he invoked the 25th then they were going to impeach. He has refused therefore the impeachment is going ahead.

Because it's within his authority to do so and the House is reminding him of that, and also letting Republicans go down as opposing removing Trump from office via pressuring Pence on the 25th and via impeachment.
    The 25th was always a pretty shaky path, but the person you were replying to was asking why bother with a vote if Pence isn't on board. His not being on board has no actual bearing on impeachment.

The 25th was always a pretty shaky path, but the person you were replying to was asking why bother with a vote if Pence isn't on board. His not being on board has no actual bearing on impeachment.
    Again, for history. To make a statement. The resolution is literally just a strongly worded letter anyways, it has absolutely no power or authority.

With Pence already saying he won’t, what then is the point of this current vote?
    Pence won't enact the 25th.

Impeachment is a different process.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I did read the whole thing, as it was happening, and I'm just teasing. It seemed to go off the rails so hard, so fast, and you're both usually pretty reasonable.
    I'm comfortable with that evaluation.

Again, for history. To make a statement. The resolution is literally just a strongly worded letter anyways, it has absolutely no power or authority.
    Yeah, but I think Zaktar's point is that it doesn't matter what Pence position is on the 25th....it has nothing to do with impeachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Yeah, but I think Zaktar's point is that it doesn't matter what Pence position is on the 25th....it has nothing to do with impeachment.
    I never said it did? And if I did I wrote so in error.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    One of the three is Liz Cheney, who isn't exactly a minor figure in the party. When Dick Cheney's daughter thinks you gone too far, well....
    This really seems to have wheels. Could you imagine if Trump was actually convicted? McConnell could sit by the wayside and blame "I'm not the Majority Leader anymore" while quietly convincing 16 brethren to get rid of a little 2024 problem.

- - - Updated - - -

The current vote is on a House Resolution regarding the 25th. There is also an impeding House discussion/vote on Impeachment (IIRC, I could be getting the sequence wrong). Pence, again IIRC, is saying he won't invoke the 25th. The House resolution on the 25th is entirely symbolic - the House can't do anything about it until Pence moves, as you pointed out. So, the point is symbolic.

Plus, given how smart Pelosi is, it might be a earlier vote counter on how many she'll see for Impeachment. I'm entirely guessing here though.

- - - Updated - - -

I did read the whole thing, as it was happening, and I'm just teasing. It seemed to go off the rails so hard, so fast, and you're both usually pretty reasonable.
    Follow up question - are you by chance a fan of the comic Bill Burr?

I never said it did? And if I did I wrote so in error.
    No I know you didn't I was asking you about what someone else said in a very unclear way. Common issue for me so I know who to blame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Follow up question - are you by chance a fan of the comic Bill Burr?
    I'm more neutral, enjoy him as an actor, can take or leave his stand up. He seems like a decent person on the whole. #burrtakes

I hate to say it, but at this point, I personally don't want Trump impeached unless it is done by the CURRENT Senate where the GOP is forced to vote for it and even then with it being this late. It still makes it easy on them and gives them some cover when the legal axe hits him.

At this point, I would like for them to wear that scarlet letter on them that they refused to when it mattered and got to this and all the legal stuff that followed and them having to own up to the fallout more directly in 2022 and 2024 where the cult will split the vote on it. Otherwise, they will try and get him out, retcon their support of him and then try and unify behind people who try not to speak his name in public in any terms to expose their crimes and the divisions.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

I don't trust the current Senate.
    Let it move forward to the new improved Senate. I'm sure Senate majority leader Schumer won't let this languish on the desk.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I don't trust the current Senate.
    Let it move forward to the new improved Senate. I'm sure Senate majority leader Schumer won't let this languish on the desk.
    I really think the Democrats need a better majority leader then Schumer. I don't have anything against him per se, he is just far less effective then his GOP counterpart. I would love to see a more effective and aggressive majority leader. Someone like Cory Booker maybe, or Elizabeth Warren. I am sure other people have good candidates for that, I just don't really feel Schumer is effective in the role.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... I am watching a lot of news alerts, telling me that Pence or some other republicans have finally had enough. Do these reporters forget that all these people signed up, willingly and seemingly gleefully, for another 4 years of Trump?

All of them will always jump ship, when Trump wasn’t politically beneficial. Why the victim language, when the only reason these relationships are sour... is because Trump has become a political liability? It’s not had enough, it’s don’t get enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and since China is a big election topic and I accidentally stumbled on a fan from 9 years ago. Someone made a thread on Reddit from my YouTube comment...

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...f_you_want_to/
    I like this comment from youtube: "If you want to see the people responsible for China's growth and thus strengthening communism, look no further than our top 1%..."

What would you call people who make money in a capitalist nation, but supply jobs to a communist nation? How about our top 1%... Who else supports communism more than our top 1% who sent nearly all of our manufacturing and production to China? If you want to see the people responsible for China's growth and thus strengthening communism, look no further than our top 1%. That's where they sent jobs instead of keeping them where they make the money. Now look at our unemployment and debt to China...
    Look at that 30 year old Felya... so woke... such hot take... lol
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Timester View Post
    I see this as McTurtle purging Trump from the Republican Party. Not Trumpism, just Trump.
    I'm still not convinced that Trumpism thrives when Trump is removed from the equation.

Certainly his base will still be around, but they're not going to be putting on their military LARP gear and piling into the back of a pickup to go to a Ted Cruz rally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's look at the past decade in the House, including the current 117th Congress (which extends beyond that decade, but we'll count it) -

2011 - Republicans
    2013 - Republicans
    2015 - Republicans
    2017 - Republicans
    2019 - Democrats
    2021 - Democrats

Republicans have controlled the house for 2/3 of the past decade, this is not a good argument.
    And really, that's 4/5, because 2021-2023 hasn't happened yet.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    And really, that's 4/5, because 2021-2023 hasn't happened yet.
    Oh god... it’s still January... all this... and... still January... not again... someone shoot the groundhog!!!!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi