Poll: Should Congress Impeach Trump Again?

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Feels like a trap for Democrats. A feeling based on knowing Mitch untrustworthy.
    It would mean Biden won’t be the 46th president... he’d be the 47th... sort of a win... right?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Feels like a trap for Democrats.
    From a certain point of view. Trump running loose does more damage to Republicans' chances in the next couple of elections than it does Democrats. If they can bar him from running it works in their favor. Personally I'm all for it anyway, it's about time we removed a president from office, even if it is post-facto.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It would mean Biden won’t be the 46th president... he’d be the 47th... sort of a win... right?
    But think of the merchandise that printed 46th! It would be a bit funny.

It would also give trump a "double honour"

First president to be impeached twice.
    First President to be impeached by the house and convicted by the senate.

10+ Year Old Account
    But think of the merchandise that printed 46th! It would be a bit funny.
    That would sting actually... I did not think of that... On the other hand, Trump’s 2020 merch is still selling, judging by his audiences. Which is... special... very... special...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Reposting this here:

CNN is reporting that if McConnell backs convicting Trump, it's all but guaranteed that Trump will be convicted by the Senate as McConnell would see impeachment & conviction as a way of starting to purge Trump and Trumpism from the GOP.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Now I almost don't want it to happen, prevent the Republican effort to save face, they're already re-writing their personal histories as it is.
    /s

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Reposting this here:

CNN is reporting that if McConnell backs convicting Trump, it's all but guaranteed that Trump will be convicted by the Senate as McConnell would see impeachment & conviction as a way of starting to purge Trump and Trumpism from the GOP.
    And I think that's how the GOP is going to play it. It's an almost perfect set of facts for the GOP to shed Trump. "We didn't know he was this bad", as they clutch their pearls and thank a god they privately vilify that this dropped into their treacherous fucking laps.

Clean break and a LOT of GOP members will be rewriting their histories.

Remember though, this whole affair, if it goes down like we're predicting, will also be good for the nation.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-01-13 at 03:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And I think that's how the GOP is going to play it. It's an almost perfect set of facts for the GOP to shed Trump. "We didn't know he was this bad", as they clutch their pearls and thank a god they privately vilify that this dropped into their treacherous fucking laps.

Clean break and a LOT of GOP members will be rewriting their histories.

Remember though, this whole affair, if it goes down like we're predicting, will also be good for the nation.
    Apparently Fox News has confirmed that McConnell doesn't intend to stand in the way of impeachment and is "done with Trump".

I imagine Moscow Mitch is more than a little pissed off at Trump for costing him his cushy position as Majority Leader, too.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Apparently Fox News has confirmed that McConnell doesn't intend to stand in the way of impeachment and is "done with Trump".

I imagine Moscow Mitch is more than a little pissed off at Trump for costing him his cushy position as Majority Leader, too.
    That is some good intel. I'm hoping he will not only not stand in the way, but hopefully quietly usher GOP Senators to vote to convict. Someone like Hawley should see that as his golden moment to double dip as both a sign of attrition for his mistake in objecting to the EC count, but also to get his prime competitor out of the way for 2024.

I expect Romney to publicly lead the Senatorial effort to vote to convict.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    So, either McConnell is just getting in Trump's head right now, OR he told Pelosi to go ahead and string the Bastard up. Which I could totally see happening when they got run out of the capital. I can only imagine how mad McConnell was about being forced to flee the Capital building, and I could definitely see him telling Pelosi to go ahead and impeach, and he would deliver the conviction.

It does make a lot of sense to me if true. I am not sure if Pelosi would bother without McConnells support. I am still not holding my breath, but if that is what happened then I ABSOLUTELY support this impeachment. I was somewhat against it when I thought it was a pointless exercise, but if McConnell actually intends to convict, I am going to enjoy the hell out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Now I almost don't want it to happen, prevent the Republican effort to save face, they're already re-writing their personal histories as it is.
    On the one hand I agree with you. On the other, the Republicans convicting Trump in the senate would lead to serious infighting within the Republican party because Trump's cult makes up a sizable portion of their voter base.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    So, either McConnell is just getting in Trump's head right now, OR he told Pelosi to go ahead and string the Bastard up. Which I could totally see happening when they got run out of the capital. I can only imagine how mad McConnell was about being forced to flee the Capital building, and I could definitely see him telling Pelosi to go ahead and impeach, and he would deliver the conviction.

It does make a lot of sense to me if true. I am not sure if Pelosi would bother without McConnells support. I am still not holding my breath, but if that is what happened then I ABSOLUTELY support this impeachment. I was somewhat against it when I thought it was a pointless exercise, but if McConnell actually intends to convict, I am going to enjoy the hell out of that.
    There is something to consider above - how fucking pissed McConnell is with what happened to his Senate chamber, and how easy (and accurate) it is to lay the entire blame on Trump. It could be the event that will turn the tide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    On the one hand I agree with you. On the other, the Republicans convicting Trump in the senate would lead to serious infighting within the Republican party because Trump's cult makes up a sizable portion of their voter base.
    And this is probably the biggest issue they are considering/discussion. Carving up the pie that is the Trump Fundraising Machine, and more importantly if it can be carved up. Hawley might be gunning for that money with his Objections and continued conspiracy theories. If he can survive the unrest in Kansas, he would be in a prime position to run in 2024; with Trump constitutionally ineligible and a reasonable portion of the Trump Insane Cult (hereinafter TIC).

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    There is something to consider above - how fucking pissed McConnell is with what happened to his Senate chamber, and how easy (and accurate) it is to lay the entire blame on Trump. It could be the event that will turn the tide.
    Well that was half of McConnell's terrible day. Trump also singlehandedly cost him two Georgia Senate seats and the Senate Majority on the same day. There are very few things McConnell loves more then his majority. Trump cost him that by insisting the Georgia election was fraudulent. Getting run off the senate floor by a mob of angry Trump supporters was the cherry on the top of a spectacularly shitty day for Mitch McConnell.

We know he was absolutely furious. He drug congress back to work and kept them all night to certify the election. He apparently browbeat the dissenters so hard that 5 of them changed their minds about betraying the country. I wouldn't be surprised if he also agreed to convict Trump that day.

That would sting actually... I did not think of that... On the other hand, Trump’s 2020 merch is still selling, judging by his audiences. Which is... special... very... special...
    Those people will go their graves saying that Trump won the election.

Some of them may go sooner than others.

I grew up in the rural southeast. A significant number of people I knew over the years genuinely wanted the confederacy to return. So yeah, some folks are probably going to hold onto all of this for a long time.

Although, I don't think it will be on the level of the confederacy. Over the next few years a tremendous amount of damaging information will come out about the Trumps and it will peel off many supporters.

As much as i do not like Mitch McConnell... I don't believe he'd let emotion dictate his response. He's a snake...but he's not stupid.

McConnell has wanted Trump gone from Day 1. He was willing to use Trump to stack the courts...but now that Trump has lost them both the Presidency and Control of the Senate...he's got no more use for him. On top of that, the capitol hill attack is not trending well for Republicans....and Mitch wants to hang all that blame on Trump and kick him to the curb.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I grew up in the rural southeast. A significant number of people I knew over the years genuinely wanted the confederacy to return. So yeah, some folks are probably going to hold onto all of this for a long time.

Although, I don't think it will be on the level of the confederacy. Over the next few years a tremendous amount of damaging information will come out about the Trumps and it will peel off many supporters.
    And this ties nicely into my arcing theme that the United States will continue to walk directly away from their best interests because of this historical education that is passed down from generation to generation. There is no education solution and society will continue to group around people of like minds. We are generations away from being able to eschew the deep seated racism that dwells amongst many in this country.

I'm not sure he'll lose his core supporters though - those that hang on past his insurrection. Any new facts will be willfully ignored just as they always have been. IMO the only way Trumpism dies is with Trump stroking out (or whatever).

People are giving too much credit to McConnell. This information comes shortly after we learn that corporations are stopping donations. Now I don't for a second think corporations are going to stop donating for long, but I do imagine they made threats about who they are going to donate to. They could start throwing heavy support behind conservative democrats or decent human beings like Mitt Romney and functionally create their own party.

Also apparently the security updates being given to the Senate aren't just vague threats, but seem to contain very specific planned attacks and what did the news say... "Rules of engagement" I believe is what they said for targets and such. I wonder what his designation was in the security reports and what impact that plays on his decision?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol people always falling for "McConnell rumored to do something reasonable."
    Also, people falling for an Axios Rumor.

Yesterday: "AXIOS LEAK: Mitch McConnell 'leaning towards maybe supporting impeachment........at the start of the Biden presidency.......when he will come up with some excuse to vote no.'

Today: McConnell’s office called Schumer’s people today + told them McConnell would not consent to reconvening immediately under the 2004 emergency authorities, a person familiar says. So the Senate won’t reconvene Friday, or almost certainly before Jan. 19. Trial in Biden term

Very Online people.
    Government Affiliated Snark