Shadowpriest trouble with dps in m+

Hey guys, I'm having trouble doing dps on trashpacks in mythic+ dungeons. Most of the time I can't even come out on top of the tank. Single target bossfights and raids I have no trouble and I even out dps +10ilvl guild mates on fights like Shriekwing and Hungering Destroyer.

My build is 1122131 and in raids I switch out ancient madness for hungering void. On trash I keep my dots up, use void erruption, mindblast and void torrent on CD and use mind sear as a filler. I tried searing nightmare but it felt really awkward.

How are guys performing on trashpacks and is searign nightmare really manditory?

Your talent build is kinda weird. In BFA pre-patch you used to take Misery + AS + HV because the Spirits did huge damage thanks to the azerite trait. Now spirits are kind of weak so you are far better of building around SN.

SN does huge damage without much ramp up time. For heavy AoE you should be using SN + Bender + Shadow Crash. Use Bender to generate extra insanity for when you go SN spam. Also refresh mind sear around 1/3 (after your 2nd SN) since SN will refresh the GCD and you don't want that happening towards the end of your channel. Shadow Crash does huge damage and gives instant insanity for more SN spam. Don't forget that using VF on huge packs will apply your 3 stacks of mastery onto all targets regardless of how many dots they have on.

Ancient Madness is ok, but I'd rather take HV or STM. This is to not gimp my single target damage to much. HV is still great on AoE if you are good at weaving in Void Bolts to extend your Void Form duration.

That all being said shadow has many build options atm. I.e. Death and Madness in row 1 is very good too if you are good at sniping low health targets.

Id advice you to check out the priest class discord, check the icy-veins/wowhead guides and watch some youtube videos. Publik from the priest discord has some excellent videos.

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/top...cord-channels/

How are guys performing on trashpacks and is searign nightmare really manditory?
    Yes. Before going to dungeon take searing nightmare. Priest is dead without this talent.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Puts the "Super" in Supermod Venara's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can do well (and on par with Searing Nightmare) with Misery in M+ in Dungeons where trash packs are generally 4 or less mobs but SN will vastly outperform Misery on larger trash packs, and a lot of dungeons have those.

As others have said, Auspicious Spirits is also not a good pick for M+ right now, Shadow Crash is the superior talent. AS is simply too slow to generate value in M+. It will outperform SC in raids but that's about the only place you will want to pick AS right now. Psychic Link is similarly too slow to generate any real value, especially after they nerfed it so hard from where it was in Beta.

TLDR: As Skavee said, SN and SC are a must. Void Torrent should outperform Bender according to sims, see below

https://warcraftpriests.github.io/?t...Style=Dungeons
    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

Im using Crash instead spirits in M+ because they are way to slow to do anything but Im torn between SN and Misery. SN sims alot higher in dungeons and its probably a must for dungeons but as someone already said it feels so awkard and I just dont like this talent.

Also Im pugging M+ runs and sometimes people pulls in a way that SN just feels terrible. I really wish there was something competitive to SN because when Im taking Misery for dungeons I feel bad for not playing optimaly.

i have the same issue even using the 'right talents'
    the tentacle legendary is lacking too...last key i did it was 2% of my total dmg, is it wrongly placed in sims?

Quote Originally Posted by fathom81 View Post
    i have the same issue even using the 'right talents'
    the tentacle legendary is lacking too...last key i did it was 2% of my total dmg, is it wrongly placed in sims?
    Isn't this legendary used because of the insanity generation anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    Isn't this legendary used because of the insanity generation anyway?
    i keep reading the legendary advices r wrong tho :\

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fathom81 View Post
    i keep reading the legendary advices r wrong tho :\
    This should clear that up:
    https://warcraftpriests.com/shadow-p...lation-update/

Scroll down to where this talks about Legendaries.

Misery is a trap in most dungeons. This is not BFA. Unless you are playing with terrible dps, the only way to squeak out damage in a world with MM hunters, balance druids, etc is SN. On many packs you won't even use VT (or you'll try to pre-cast it with fade up while the tank charges in). If you are playing with bad dps then mobs will live longer and it is more viable but you can definitely still overcast it.

You must take Death and Madness to keep insanity up between pulls to feed SN. You also absolutely need shadow crash because it does enormous damage.

Torrent is totally fine (good on bosses on prideful) but bender is better for feeding insanity for SN spam. This will just depend a lot on the dungeon and your group.

The thing I'd save to last is learning how to use S2M. This is the one I'm still working on. It is definitely the best talent for pure damage but it is also the hardest to use appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    The thing I'd save to last is learning how to use S2M. This is the one I'm still working on. It is definitely the best talent for pure damage but it is also the hardest to use appropriately.
    I hate S2M. It would maybe be cool, if it wasn't a bugged piece of shit. There are TONS of mobs that aren't being counted as killed for its purposes. For example the last 3 kyrians at spires of ascension, or any of the bosses in the first encounter in theater of pain. I'm not a fan of having to memorize when I'll die if I use it because of poor implementation.

Searing Nightmare is a must for Mythic+. Without it you're just gimping yourself and I always shake my head when I see SP playing without it. It's mandatory for you to deal AoE damage.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiphobia View Post
    I hate S2M. It would maybe be cool, if it wasn't a bugged piece of shit. There are TONS of mobs that aren't being counted as killed for its purposes. For example the last 3 kyrians at spires of ascension, or any of the bosses in the first encounter in theater of pain. I'm not a fan of having to memorize when I'll die if I use it because of poor implementation.
    It works on those guys now because you drop combat between them, but early on they were considered part of a single encounter which I assume is why it killed you. Pretty dumb I agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Change ur talents asap. Searing nightmare is a must to do decent aoe. Im using 1 1 3 1 1or3 3 2 mostly. Twist of fate ocasionally if single target is needed but in general is meh for m+
    Last edited by czarek; 2021-01-15 at 01:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't like spriest aoe playstyle either.
    It's so bad that I simply ignore dpsing in mythic+. I just go healer.

Having fury warrior alt just makes it more painfully obvious how bad spriest aoe is.
    I'm not saying it's bad dps, just that the aoe playstyle sucks in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I don't like spriest aoe playstyle either.
    It's so bad that I simply ignore dpsing in mythic+. I just go healer.

Having fury warrior alt just makes it more painfully obvious how bad spriest aoe is.
    I'm not saying it's bad dps, just that the aoe playstyle sucks in my opinion.
    I think it's just that it feels clunky.

Mind Sear is a short channel and Searing Nightmare triggers a GCD, so it becomes frustrating to alternate between trying to get 2x SN into a channel, then clipping the channel to start a fresh one so you can do SN again.

It would probably feel a lot better if Mind Sear were simply a longer a channel or if SN didn't trigger a GCD.

The damage is very solid and I can easily keep up with melee, the rotation is just annoying.

VT once or twice while tank is pulling (more if you know the mobs will not die very quickly), then Sear + SN on trash. Use your CDs liberally on trash. VE/StM give you full mastery benefit without casting VT/DP, and that's a huge boost to SN spam. Keep PI on CD. Shadow Crash always for m+, use it as much as possible. Death and Madness is huge to refill insanity as you clean up a pack. You'll need it to spam SN on the next pack. For tyrannical weeks, torrent is fine, but bender definitely for fortified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not that bad im able to do 10k aoe dps atm on cds but still.
    Last edited by czarek; 2021-03-26 at 12:30 PM.