Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Yeah...it does mess with the head, but the person in question doesn't care. Most of the time one is kept busy with needs of the day. Other times...read books. As long as one stays busy...
    For those in solitary confinement...that's different. No choices there.

No. 40+ years of the urban lifestyle the closest i came was a house in a big town instead of a city.

But I have been looking for 3 years for something so very secluded. Where neighbors are no where to be found without driving.

Not isolated, that is the very definition of someone who might need some mental health help.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Out of curiosity, can you hunt in Norway? Part of the reason I like Montana and Alaska so much is the opportunities for hunting. Not for sport or anything, but for fresh, self-sourced meat.
    Yes, you can. I finished my hunter license when I was 13 years old and hunted quite a bit while growing up.
    Hunting large game like deer or moose usually means you will have an agreement with the landowners, and share meat of whatever you kill with them.

While hunting birds etc in the mountains is free to anyone as long as you have passed your hunting exam and paid your yearly hunters fee.

Alternatively, you can own land and let hunters use it, and you will have meat from their hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    Yes, you can. I finished my hunter license when I was 13 years old and hunted quite a bit while growing up.
    Hunting large game like deer or moose usually means you will have an agreement with the landowners, and share meat of whatever you kill with them.

While hunting birds etc in the mountains is free to anyone as long as you have passed your hunting exam and paid your yearly hunters fee.

Alternatively, you can own land and let hunters use it, and you will have meat from their hunt.
    That's interesting. Is there a regulation on how the meat's dispensed? Is there a set ratio, like 50-50, or is that left up to the hunter and landowner to negotiate?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    That's interesting. Is there a regulation on how the meat's dispensed? Is there a set ratio, like 50-50, or is that left up to the hunter and landowner to negotiate?
    The usual ration is set to like 70% of the meat to the landowner and 30% to the hunting team if there is a team even. But they can make deals and buy the meat from landowner.

My father was a much more active hunter than me and we always had deer meat in the freezer when I was growing up. I could really go for some venison right now...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurgjelme View Post
    The usual ration is set to like 70% of the meat to the landowner and 30% to the hunting team if there is a team even. But they can make deals and buy the meat from landowner.

My father was a much more active hunter than me and we always had deer meat in the freezer when I was growing up. I could really go for some venison right now...
    Depends on country realy. Here is more or less illegall to hunt without license and you also have a limit of how much wildlife you can shot.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Do you yourself live, or know someone who lives in isolation? I don’t think it’s possible in the US. You have to work all day just to pay rent. But if you work online, you could get by ordering everything you need.

I’m sure everyone has experienced the life of a socialphobic outcast due to the COVID lockdown. What do you think of living in isolation? Do you think it’s doable, and would you want to do it?
    No. To everything. No.

People even attempting it are exhibiting signs of serious mental health issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what you mean by living in isolation. Do you mean simply living by yourself, never going outside at all and having no human contact, or living out in the woods somewhere?

I'm going to assume you mean by never going outside and having no outside contact with anyone. I would say it's definitely possible as long as you have a job you can do online on a computer because otherwise you'll just starve to death. I would say I'm pretty introverted so I don't need constant human interaction. At some point I would feel like hanging out with a friend but if it called for it I can live without ever seeing another person face to face. It would just suck after a while.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Living in isolation is psychologically damaging. Look into what happens to those who have spent a long time in solitary confinement.
    Yeah but maybe being forced to live in a small enclosed room, maybe even in darkness for long periods of time, is a bit different than just not seeing other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    I have been about 99% isolated since early March 2020, so it's definitely possible. How? -

1. Work remotely (assuming you have a job and employer where this is possible). My job has been considered essential so we have not stopped or had any pauses, working 5 days a week. I realize this is the problem for many people, if you don't have this option.

2. Grocery delivery. Many grocery stores including WalMart's with grocery sections do this now fairly inexpensively. And they will deliver soft goods like laundry detergent, pet food, etc. as well. so you have everything you need. In all but the most rural areas this is an option.

3. Social interaction online, by phone, or w/e remote method you prefer, just to keep from going crazy. For introverts maybe even a pet is enough though.

Definitely doable though, no question about that. The biggest hurdle if you're trying to stay isolated are things you need done but simply cannot resolve yourself. For example, a bad tooth and needing a trip to the dentist. Or say your clothes washer breaks down and you don't know how to repair it. But you'd be surprised at the lengths people will go thru during this lockdown to fix problems like that themselves rather than go into a dentist office or have a repairman come out.
    This isn't what real isolation is
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I remember when I saw "Grizzly Adams" in the cinema way back on the mid-70s, I thought the idea of living on a forested mountain range with a bear for company had to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcareru View Post
    To be truly isolated you'd have to get cabin or something in the middle of nowhere and grow you own food. Not impossible but highly unlikely for most people.
    An island might work as well. You'd have to grow all your own food and be able to store it to be completely isolated. Maybe have solar cells or wind for power. Some point you'll need something.