View Poll Results: Is America less liberal and politically correct than Europe and most countries?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • Yes, they are less liberal and politically correct

18 58.06%
  • No, they are more liberal and politically correct

6 19.35%
  • Other / Not sure / It's complicated

7 22.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    "Political correctness" had nothing to do with the failings of Ghostbusters 2016. If the cast had been entirely male it would've sucked exactly the same amount.
    This is not entirely true. Even when it was first announced it was an all ghostbusters were female people were screaming to high heaven about how it is "Anti-male PC!" attacking it. Movie not being good is part of it, but to think the female cast didn't send of a rage fest by the usual people just means you were just ignoring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flathet View Post
    They just shit on disabled people and denying them living a life in dignity.
    Compared to who? America?

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Her being the carpet muncher is exactly the same writing potential I expect of modern-day movies. Writers are incapable of making believable characters anymore so all they do is use any kind of LGBT letter to fill in the person's personality. Oh the real reason it failed was simple they started attacking people. I don't want to watch a remake. where normally that would be okay, that's understandable. to oh you don't want to watch it because you're sexist. I can't speak for most but them trying to guilt me into watching something is not ever going to happen.
    Oh so you have an issue with gay people being represented?

oh is that some gas lighting I thought it was only the right that did that? Most gay people do not go around being vegans shouting simply "oh I'm gay" every single sentence. Hell if anything they're overrepresented now for such a "marginalized" group everything seems to have some LGBT in them. most writers just use it as a crutch because they can't write characters worth a shit.
    It seems people like you bitch that things are being shoved on you when it’s simply a gay character existing....

well at least I know slapping you on ignore. Was the right decision. Since you're incapable of having even a civil conversation.

people like you. so people that like to have well-written characters instead of their sexuality being their only defining trait.
    "I'm slapping you on ignore because my ego is bruised that you don't tolerate my intollerance"

Her being the carpet muncher is exactly the same writing potential I expect of modern-day movies. Writers are incapable of making believable characters anymore so all they do is use any kind of LGBT letter to fill in the person's personality. Oh the real reason it failed was simple they started attacking people. I don't want to watch a remake. where normally that would be okay, that's understandable. to oh you don't want to watch it because you're sexist. I can't speak for most but them trying to guilt me into watching something is not ever going to happen.
    I don't know what you're talking about, Kate McKinnon had the most character of anyone in the cast. Except maybe Leslie Jones. Have you actually watched this movie?

- - - Updated - - -

well at least I know slapping you on ignore. Was the right decision. Since you're incapable of having even a civil conversation.
    You think it isn't a civil conversation because he used the word "bitch" as in to complain? What are you, a fainting matron from the 18th Century?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I won't watch ghostbusters 2016.
    Right, so your opinion on it is based on nothing.

I mean I didn't think the film was very good, but I actually saw it, so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, so your opinion on it is based on nothing.

I mean I didn't think the film was very good, but I actually saw it, so...
    If we didn't have the originals to compare it to, it wouldn't be shat on at all, IMO. It was a pretty moderate by-the-numbers comedy with some solid special FX to juice it up. Not a classic like the originals, by any means, but by no means the worst film of the year. Pretty much on-par with a lot of Paul Feig's stuff, really.

I'm not really a fan, because they made some writing choices I felt did more than just fail to live up to the originals, but actively betray some core principles behind the film, but again, that's down to writing, not the cast. The cast was not remotely the problem with the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If we didn't have the originals to compare it to, it wouldn't be shat on at all, IMO. It was a pretty moderate by-the-numbers comedy with some solid special FX to juice it up. Not a classic like the originals, by any means, but by no means the worst film of the year. Pretty much on-par with a lot of Paul Feig's stuff, really.

I'm not really a fan, because they made some writing choices I felt did more than just fail to live up to the originals, but actively betray some core principles behind the film, but again, that's down to writing, not the cast. The cast was not remotely the problem with the film.
    Yeah take the Ghostbusters label off it and it's your average low-effort SNL alumni comedy. Not the best of Feig though, I mean it's no Bridesmaids.

I went into the theater ready to hate it, because man oh man did it have an awful trailer. But actually it was mostly fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah take the Ghostbusters label off it and it's your average low-effort SNL alumni comedy. Not the best of Feig though, I mean it's no Bridesmaids.

I went into the theater ready to hate it, because man oh man did it have an awful trailer. But actually it was mostly fine.
    I just don’t get the ghostbusters love, as a franchise... it never left a remarkable impression on me... was just another movie. It becoming some sort of cultural lightning rod... made no sense. We are talking about a movie, with a green blob flying around and eating sandwiches? Really?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    *Original. Ghostbusters 2 wasn't really that great. Paul Feig has done better.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I just don’t get the ghostbusters love, as a franchise... it never left a remarkable impression on me... was just another movie. It becoming some sort of cultural lightning rod... made no sense. We are talking about a movie, with a green blob flying around and eating sandwiches? Really?
    I love the original films (yes even the sequel). What I don't get is people who honestly think they could make another one. The magic of those films was due to the perfect cast and the perfect script coming together. You can't recreate that.

They're making yet another one, maybe it'll be a decent movie? But it won't be Ghostbusters, because Ghostbusters is over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    *Original. Ghostbusters 2 wasn't really that great. Paul Feig has done better.
    I've never understood the hate for Ghostbusters 2. If that movie came out in 2021 I'd probably like it more than most of the new films that are going to release...

I've never understood the hate for Ghostbusters 2. If that movie came out in 2021 I'd probably like it more than most of the new films that are going to release...
    I don't hate it. I still like the Statue of Liberty scene. Its just not as nearly as good as the first movie. I think sequels that fail to live up to the original will generally be treated worse than they actually are.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    Actually in the US you politically/sociologically trace the shift back right to around 2000-2001. Maybe it would have happened anyway, maybe 9-11 nudged it more, but it definitely happened. If you look at election stats and outcomes starting then, the US started shifting MUCH more conservative.

Around that time also there was a significant religious evolution in the US that is often overlooked. In fact I'd say 2 different religious evolutions. One was that Christian churches began really shifting from traditional to large almost commercial "progressive" evangelical (and very conservative) churches. They popped up all over. These churches aren't in 100+ year-old churches of the past, these are setup in old department stores and shopping malls. My old church I went to growing up would be lucky to pull in 50 mostly seniors on a Sunday. These evangelical progressive commercial churches will have 2 services on Sunday with 500+ people each, most of them under 40 years old. Lots of modern music and dancing, which appeals to younger families. For young families, these types of churches are far more appealing and seem like a more modern fit to them vs. singing tired hymns in an old church.

However, there is an effect in that the sermons and messages from these progressive churches is very very conservative. Those congregations go out and vote and behave very conservatively because of this.

A second religious evolution happened around the same time in that the US got very big around 2000 on work visas and immigration for foreign IT workers, which corporate US loved as a way to save on salaries vs. paying US workers. Salaries were about 1/3 in many cases of what a US worker made. So it lead to a lot of Muslims and Hindus coming to the US, which lead to mosques and temples being setup in the US. For most people, perfectly fine and not a problem. But mosques and temples popping up in the neighborhoods of newly evangelical Christians (from the progressive churches) pushes some of them even further towards conservatism.

Additionally, media outlets like FOX News which intentionally enflame conservatives for ratings have also had a big effect. FOX News wasn't around pre-2000. But it's nationalistic message appeals to conservatives, thinking that "I'm a good patriot and conservative Christian" if they go along with w/e FOX tells them. So that's pushed conservativism further yet in the US, almost in a cult-like way. I know multiple families that ONLY allow FOX News on their television, and not just for news. Like the channel is welded there, as in the TV is on FOX News or turned off. It's that insane.

So yep plenty of liberals in the US, obviously since Biden won the popular vote. But the US is a lot more conservative today than it was 20 years ago.

And I don't give a fuck tbh.
    You seem to be outing your personal bigotries a bit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Missed this, but please don't make threads about or involving "PC culture". It invites unnecessary nonsense and forbidden topics.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."