Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadowlands issues

So I received Shadowlands as a gift so I played through most of the content. Haven't done the raid yet so I won't be forming an opinion on it. But everything else? This expansion feels worse than WoD in a lot of ways to me. Here's why:

1. Graveyards are WAYYYYY too spaced out. More often than not when I die I have a 600 meter run back to my corpse and because there's spots in the zones where you can just plummet to your death for no reason, this is pretty annoying. If they're going to make zones have random gaps in the landscape, then they should really make more graveyards. Instead, I have to go on a hike just to get back to my body.

2. The expansion story is so incredibly underwhelming. The Jailer is a useless villain that does more brooding than doing any actual evil. Even in WoD I was pulled into the story more. Shadowlands' story is just boring and forgettable.

3. All of the zones are ugly as sin, spare Revendreth. Bastion is just bland and pale plains. Maldraxxus is dark and brooding with really terrible looking landscape. Ardenweald just looks like a darker Val'sharah. At least Revendreth has some interesting architecture.

4. The Maw is hands down the most annoying thing ever implemented into the game. It's a massive zone that you can't mount up in which just makes it a chore to do anything there. The Eye of the Jailer mechanic is just a really stupid gating mechanic that makes the zone feel way worse. There is absolutely nothing fun about the Maw.

5. Torghast is pretty much faceroll. It was advertised as being challenging and more rogue-like than other WoW activities. It's not challenging at all. I've only done the first three wings so far but they've been so faceroll that I don't understand why Blizzard said it would be challenging from the get-go.

6. Legendaries are unobtainable if you don't have the right crafting profession or don't have lots of gold. One piece of the base item needed to craft a legendary is 50-60k on my server. So I've just had to accept I'll never get a single legendary.

7. The lack of a flight whistle is infuriating. It makes doing world quests exceptionally annoying because they're so spaced out and pretty much are all a huge hike away from flight masters.

8. And finally, timegating in this expansion has been the worst I've ever seen in the game's history. Having to wait a fucking week after finishing a quest chain to get the next step in the campaign is obnoxious. Pretty much everything in SL is gated and has made the expansion utter trash in my eyes.

I understand not everyone is going to agree with me and that's fine. But does anyone share any of these opinions with me? I can't be the only one.

Update: Don't respond to this with a comment like "Just stop playing the game". It adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.
    Last edited by TheRevenantHero; 2021-01-13 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, for me i really enjoy the systems and story, with that said, the level design is below WoD, imho its the laziest and most uninspired level design I have ever seen blizzard produce. the zones are so small and heavy on copy paste that they feel even smaller. there are no interesting locations and overall it seems lacking vision.

the way i see it unsub,uninstall and go play something else. is the game perfect,no can it be patched up to fix issues,yes.
    1.agree
    2.its a new xpack,wedont know anything about the jailor or his deep backround, we just uncover the surface
    3.they are all thematic and they did a good job. only beef i have is with bastion the bright colors makes it hard on the eyes sometimes
    4.think hands down everyone has the same opinion of the maw unless your a worgen or drood or an abomination worgen drood
    5.faceroll yes and no. depending on your class can still be challenging and randomness of the skill you get makes it or break it
    6.legendaries are suppose to be hard to get. thats why your cpovenant rewards item wich sell for much gold at vendors. and again some class are cheaper then
    otherds
    7.whistle is not a necessity. just adding some flight path would fix that. and with flying introduce early this time who will need a whistle
    8.its not that bad gives you time to do other stuff in the meantime
    The difference beteween genius and stupidity... genius has its limit

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    With a list that long, it might be time for you to stop playing.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminatrix View Post
    the way i see it unsub,uninstall and go play something else. is the game perfect,no can it be patched up to fix issues,yes.
    1.agree
    2.its a new xpack,wedont know anything about the jailor or his deep backround, we just uncover the surface
    3.they are all thematic and they did a good job. only beef i have is with bastion the bright colors makes it hard on the eyes sometimes
    4.think hands down everyone has the same opinion of the maw unless your a worgen or drood or an abomination worgen drood
    5.faceroll yes and no. depending on your class can still be challenging and randomness of the skill you get makes it or break it
    6.legendaries are suppose to be hard to get. thats why your cpovenant rewards item wich sell for much gold at vendors. and again some class are cheaper then
    otherds
    7.whistle is not a necessity. just adding some flight path would fix that. and with flying introduce early this time who will need a whistle
    8.its not that bad gives you time to do other stuff in the meantime
    The items you get from covenant weeklies sell for a paltry amount of gold so the items in those caches are more insulting than anything else. As for the Jailer, he doesn't even feel like a villain. He just comes off as an annoying NPC rather than an expansion spanning villain. Blizzard's writing for this expansion is especially terrible.

And I don't understand how you can say the timegating isn't that bad. This expansion is "alt friendly" purely because you simply run out of stuff to do on your main. That's not a good thing.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    With a list that long, it might be time for you to stop playing.
    HEY!

You're adding nothing to the conversation! Grrrr

In all seriousness though, I gotta agree with Jazen. When your issues become essentially everything about the new expansion... why do you keep playing? Maybe you honestly just need something different for right now, and that's OKAY @TheRevenantHero. Believe it or not, it's okay. There's a billion other games out there, plus other hobbies. You don't need to dedicate your life to WoW. Trust me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    The items you get from covenant weeklies sell for a paltry amount of gold so the items in those caches are more insulting than anything else. As for the Jailer, he doesn't even feel like a villain. He just comes off as an annoying NPC rather than an expansion spanning villain. Blizzard's writing for this expansion is especially terrible.

And I don't understand how you can say the timegating isn't that bad. This expansion is "alt friendly" purely because you simply run out of stuff to do on your main. That's not a good thing.
    Sounds like you have too much time on your hands.
    WoW has been my only game I've been playing the past couple months and almost every week I find myself struggling to get everything done. Maybe it's because I actually spend some time doing other things, because the last thing I want to do most days after I sit at my desk for work all day... is sit at my desk and play a video game. Maybe I want to move around.

Maybe you should diversify your assets... I mean, activities, some more. If you're playing 8, 10, 12+ hours a day, every day, of COURSE you've run out of stuff to do!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

6. Legendaries are unobtainable if you don't have the right crafting profession or don't have lots of gold. One piece of the base item needed to craft a legendary is 50-60k on my server. So I've just had to accept I'll never get a single legendary.
    You not being willing to put in the EXTRMELY small amount of playtime required to earn the gold to pay for a lego doesn't make them unobtainable. You not being willing to swap professions to craft the item yourself doesn't make the item unobtainable. These are YOU issues, not GAME issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    HEY!

You're adding nothing to the conversation! Grrrr

In all seriousness though, I gotta agree with Jazen. When your issues become essentially everything about the new expansion... why do you keep playing? Maybe you honestly just need something different for right now, and that's OKAY @TheRevenantHero. Believe it or not, it's okay. There's a billion other games out there, plus other hobbies. You don't need to dedicate your life to WoW. Trust me.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you have too much time on your hands.
    WoW has been my only game I've been playing the past couple months and almost every week I find myself struggling to get everything done. Maybe it's because I actually spend some time doing other things, because the last thing I want to do most days after I sit at my desk for work all day... is sit at my desk and play a video game. Maybe I want to move around.

Maybe you should diversify your assets... I mean, activities, some more. If you're playing 8, 10, 12+ hours a day, every day, of COURSE you've run out of stuff to do!
    I play 2-3 hours a day at most. Then I run out of things to do on my main and log out to play something else. In other expansions, I had stuff to do that didn't feel like a chore. The leveling experience was boring as hell so I have no desire to level an alt right now. But maybe with your next comment, you can add to the conversation without patronizing me. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    You not being willing to put in the EXTRMELY small amount of playtime required to earn the gold to pay for a lego doesn't make them unobtainable. You not being willing to swap professions to craft the item yourself doesn't make the item unobtainable. These are YOU issues, not GAME issues.
    Extremely small amount of game time? Are you for real? Getting 50-60k for one legendary piece would NOT require an extremely small amount of game time.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play 2-3 hours a day at most. Then I run out of things to do on my main and log out to play something else. In other expansions, I had stuff to do that didn't feel like a chore. The leveling experience was boring as hell so I have no desire to level an alt right now. But maybe with your next comment, you can add to the conversation without patronizing me. thanks.
    2-3 hours per day at most? To do everything you could possibly need to do? Seems... tough to believe.

Also, other expansions didn't have as much as this one does, at the start. Most have significantly less at this point in the expansion.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    2-3 hours per day at most? To do everything you could possibly need to do? Seems... tough to believe.

Also, other expansions didn't have as much as this one does, at the start. Most have significantly less at this point in the expansion.
    I had way more things to do in both BfA and Legion from the start. And don't believe me all you want. The things that take me the longest is anything involving the Maw simply because I can't mount.

Extremely small amount of game time? Are you for real? Getting 50-60k for one legendary piece would NOT require an extremely small amount of game time.
    Do your callings and nothing else - you'll have the gold in a month.

- - - Updated - - -

I play 2-3 hours a day at most. Then I run out of things to do on my main and log out to play something else..
    This is not worded correctly. It SHOULD say "i play for 2-3 hours per day, then there is nothing more i want to do, so i log out". You have not done the raid, and there is endless time you could be spending doing M+ or pvp, torgast, or any number of other activities. You choose not to do those things, and thats totally fine, but dont pretend there is nothing to do.

I mean shit, you know what you COULD be doing? Farming gold for that legendary or leveling your crafting to craft it.

- - - Updated - - -

This is not worded correctly. It SHOULD say "i play for 2-3 hours per day, then there is nothing more i want to do, so i log out". You have not done the raid, and there is endless time you could be spending doing M+ or pvp, torgast, or any number of other activities. You choose not to do those things, and thats totally fine, but dont pretend there is nothing to do.
    For ONE legendary. And then, as I understand it, I'd have to do it again to rank up the legendary. So your "extremely small amount of game time" is false.

I had way more things to do in both BfA and Legion from the start.
    Specifically what activities were you doing at the start of BfA that are now unavailable to you in SL?

- - - Updated - - -

For ONE legendary. And then, as I understand it, I'd have to do it again to rank up the legendary. So your "extremely small amount of game time" is false.
    Surely you recognize the extreme irony of saying "I have nothing left to do on my main so i play other games" when also saying "I cant get a legendary!"

- - - Updated - - -

I mean shit, you know what you COULD be doing? Farming gold for that legendary or leveling your crafting to craft it.
    I'm not geared enough for the raid. Most people only want carries or gold for mythic dungeons. you're right, I don't want to spam torghast because it's mindless. And as for farming gold, I don't want to spend 6+ hours a day grinding. Because then it would have the same outcome as what I'm getting to now: I'll get absolutely sick of the game and stop playing because it's stopped being even remotely fun.

1. Graveyards are WAYYYYY too spaced out. More often than not when I die I have a 600 meter run back to my corpse and because there's spots in the zones where you can just plummet to your death for no reason, this is pretty annoying. If they're going to make zones have random gaps in the landscape, then they should really make more graveyards. Instead, I have to go on a hike just to get back to my body.
    Agreed, nothing really to add here. I mean maybe in the last few expansions we've been pretty spoiled overall, but I feel like this is opposite end of the spectrum.

2. The expansion story is so incredibly underwhelming. The Jailer is a useless villain that does more brooding than doing any actual evil. Even in WoD I was pulled into the story more. Shadowlands' story is just boring and forgettable.
    The Jailer isn't going to be one of those villains who just announces his plan to you the first couple times you see him. He's supposedly been planning for many millenia to overthrow the system. He's an overarching big bad that isn't a moron(for once) telling you what he's doing and he isn't taunting you in anyway because to us we're insignificant.

3. All of the zones are ugly as sin, spare Revendreth. Bastion is just bland and pale plains. Maldraxxus is dark and brooding with really terrible looking landscape. Ardenweald just looks like a darker Val'sharah. At least Revendreth has some interesting architecture.
    This ties into my Jailer argument. We're seeing these zones at their worst, they're all devoid of anima. Basion in particular actually shows you want it used to be like when they had a regular flow of anima. It's very obvious the anima drought is a threat in both Bastion and Ardenweald, the zone is shown heavily around those threats.

4. The Maw is hands down the most annoying thing ever implemented into the game. It's a massive zone that you can't mount up in which just makes it a chore to do anything there. The Eye of the Jailer mechanic is just a really stupid gating mechanic that makes the zone feel way worse. There is absolutely nothing fun about the Maw.
    I'm not a fan of the maw, I like it more now that I have the mount for the maw. It's still annoying, but it's not as horrible. The Eye of the Jailer however I appreciate, because it makes it so I don't need to spend all day in the maw grinding rares and mobs for sockets and conduits.

5. Torghast is pretty much faceroll. It was advertised as being challenging and more rogue-like than other WoW activities. It's not challenging at all. I've only done the first three wings so far but they've been so faceroll that I don't understand why Blizzard said it would be challenging from the get-go.
    Torghast wings are supposed to be accessible, not a difficult, there's too much player power for it to be tied to difficulty. It was never advertised as a challenging piece of content, it was advertised to have a wing that was more challenging, big difference. As for Twisting Corridors, it is difficult, if you're claiming it isn't then you're just lying. Layer 7 and 8 of Twisting Corridors were harder than Mage Tower scenarios without being massively overgeared.

Or you make a farm toon and farm the mats, like every single expansion in the past. If you want leather/mail, you make a skinner and if you want plate you make a miner. If you want cloth, farm cloth. Getting the mats and finding a crafter, or crafting it yourself, is significantly cheaper than buying the armor piece. You're just giving up because you don't want to play the game and you expect to just buy your way through the expansion(which is ironic after you complained about how easy content is).

7. The lack of a flight whistle is infuriating. It makes doing world quests exceptionally annoying because they're so spaced out and pretty much are all a huge hike away from flight masters.
    This is not true, there's very few world quests far from a flight master, it's not even a threat to get to them and away from them.

8. And finally, timegating in this expansion has been the worst I've ever seen in the game's history. Having to wait a fucking week after finishing a quest chain to get the next step in the campaign is obnoxious. Pretty much everything in SL is gated and has made the expansion utter trash in my eyes.
    Bullshit, Legion timegating was far worse. At least this timegating makes sense to the game itself, and the timegating itself is MOSTLY cosmetic rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

I'm not geared enough for the raid. Most people only want carries or gold for mythic dungeons. you're right, I don't want to spam torghast because it's mindless. And as for farming gold, I don't want to spend 6+ hours a day grinding. Because then it would have the same outcome as what I'm getting to now: I'll get absolutely sick of the game and stop playing because it's stopped being even remotely fun.
    No one said anything about farming gold for 6 hours a day. You said no one is allowed to tell you to stop playing, but Jesus man, look at your last comment - you admit you do NOT ENJOY THE GAME when you play it for any length of time. Dude, its time to move on - go play something else.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-01-13 at 08:46 PM.

So I received Shadowlands as a gift so I played through most of the content. Haven't done the raid yet so I won't be forming an opinion on it. But everything else? This expansion feels worse than WoD in a lot of ways to me. Here's why:

I understand not everyone is going to agree with me and that's fine. But does anyone share any of these opinions with me? I can't be the only one.
    I just want to point out that you can farm the mats for a legendary in 45 minutes or so. Don't be so dramatic

Don't be a Veruca Salt!

Did people have the same timegate complaints about Suramar? We're on the 8th week of the expansion. Covenant campaign is done with this week's renown level if you're maxed. The Torghast questline is finished for now (I believe). It's not inappropriately timegated. They aren't required to release everything all at once.

6. Legendaries are unobtainable if you don't have the right crafting profession or don't have lots of gold. One piece of the base item needed to craft a legendary is 50-60k on my server. So I've just had to accept I'll never get a single legendary

Update: Don't respond to this with a comment like "Just stop playing the game". It adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.
    So the game is in week 9 and you haven't made 60K yet. That's a you problem. If you actually played the game you would have made at least 84K ON ONE CHARACTER just from doing daylies. You don't have a crafting profession and you're not raiding so it sounds like you have gathering professions. Have you just been vendoring the mats? Even if you have and you didn't do any of the WQs for the chests you still could have made a couple hundred K just be selling meat to the AH.

I feel that you haven't actually played the game and for some reason have decided to curate the most common complaints from this site and added the legendary one. 60K is nothing. The rewards from the chest will be looked at in the future akin to the mission table in WoD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post

This is not true, there's very few world quests far from a flight master, it's not even a threat to get to them and away from them.

To be fair, i do find the lack of a whistle inconvenient, HOWEVER, i think it is more than ballanced out by the fact when you do get to the FP - you can fly to ANYWHERE in the expansion without having to go back to main city - go to boat - bla bla bla BFA bla - that pissed me off every time.