Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Why do you think this affects swtor in the slightest?
    I'd wager being the holder to the current license for this game and it's less than Steller performance, there could be a shift in the game.

One being because EA will likely need to continue to pay for some license to this game and will not be able to recoup additional monies on the SW name in returnby making other games. Combined with SWTOR isn't likely to bring in enough profit for EA. Notice I said, enough profit. Not that it isn't making some profit but as we all know. A little profit isn't good enough for EA.

Two, I do wonder if the cash shop market will change in the next two years as well. While that doesn't mean a whole lot, I find the cash shop in swtor to be way overpriced as is. $50+ bucks for some clothes is a bit much. Spend money how you want but swtor has some high priced digital things and EA has been known to be more than greedy.

Three, that also brings me to the F2P model. It's a pretty bad model as F2P goes and has been discussed a good bit but I could see it changing in two years as EA loses that license and makes adjustments to harder push people into paying. Maybe even something completely different.

Then it content that comes at an already slow pace combined with being really small expansions. Do you think EA is going to dump more into bioware for swtor if they are making less profit? I don't and I don't see swtor making more profit than it has been in the last while.

There really are a number of reason I think this move could effect swtor. Nothing happening very fast as 2023 is a ways off but I also wouldn't be surprised at what EA might change in swtor once that license is gone.
    Last edited by quras; 2021-01-14 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    considering there hasnt been a good SW game since the OG BF2 this sounds lovely
    That's very subjective. BF2, Fallen Order, and Squadrons are fun games. I only left out BF because it felt like Battlefield 3 with SW skins.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    its a shame the first studio outside of an ea one is ubisoft. my expectations have not changed in the slightest yet.
    My take as well, same with anything they might try to make with current Naughty Dog or Activision.

As to the possibilities for the future, since we are in a swtor thread, I would have liked someone making a new Star Wars MMO, in a different setting and much-less corridor-y than swtor feels. Beyond that, a space-sim game in the vein of X-Wing or Tie Fighter would also be nice, but I am not holding my breath on that. I guess you could say I gave up on games with this license being any good, even though the Fallen Order is on my list to get sooner rather than later. Let's see what the future brings

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    My take as well, same with anything they might try to make with current Naughty Dog or Activision.

As to the possibilities for the future, since we are in a swtor thread, I would have liked someone making a new Star Wars MMO, in a different setting and much-less corridor-y than swtor feels. Beyond that, a space-sim game in the vein of X-Wing or Tie Fighter would also be nice, but I am not holding my breath on that. I guess you could say I gave up on games with this license being any good, even though the Fallen Order is on my list to get sooner rather than later. Let's see what the future brings
    There is a good chance they may just shut down their mmo once they lose the license tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    There is a good chance they may just shut down their mmo once they lose the license tho.
    I hope not since while swtor is not perfect, it does have quite a few merits IMO. The stories are some of the best in the industry (not sure how ESO did in that department for the last 2 expansions, TSW has long stopped providing content while FFARR is more for JRPG lovers) while their class design in some aspects shits all over most other MMOs, at least for my taste. They have also implemented quite a few nice QoL changes to try and streamline certain aspects.

It would be a shame to kill it because it doesn't have the exclusive lure for SW MMO cash, that's all I am saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Battlefront 2 (minus the lootbox fiasco), Fallen Order and Squadrons were all good games. So I'm not sure why people are like 'at last Stars is FREE!'

Massive is making the Ubi game, and they're the people who bungled Division 1 and 2. So I'm reserving my optimism for now.
    Only 4 star wars games in a decade isn't a sound argument for having it as an exclusive license, even if they're good games. We could be getting a whole lot more than that out of the IP on the quantity front if Disney let other developing houses use it too alongside EA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Only 4 star wars games in a decade isn't a sound argument for having it as an exclusive license, even if they're good games. We could be getting a whole lot more than that out of the IP on the quantity front if Disney let other developing houses use it too alongside EA.
    Literally no mention of 'SW exclusivity is good!' in my post, anywhere.

But many people are reacting to this news as if SW has been held hostage by EA and produced a bunch of failures, when the reality is that their partnership resulted in a number of very good games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Except they aren't losing the license, they just no longer have exclusive dibs on it.

https://www.gamesradar.com/lucasfilm...a-partnership/

For those that can't be bothered to click:

EA has told GamesRadar that its collaboration with Lucasfilm Games "will continue for years to come."

In a statement from an EA spokesperson, the publisher is keen to highlight its recent range of Star Wars games, saying: "EA are proud of our long-standing collaboration with Lucasfilm Games, which will continue for years to come. Our talented teams have created some of the most successful games in the history of the Star Wars franchise, including Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefront II, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes and Star Wars: Squadrons.

"We love Star Wars, and we look forward to creating more exciting experiences for players to enjoy."

And the announcement itself reiterated that this is not the end of EA's deal with Lucasfilm/Disney.

EA and Disney reportedly cut a ten-year deal back in 2013 granting the studio exclusive rights to Star Wars games, but it seems like that partnership won't be re-upped. The announcement does state that there are "a number of projects underway with the talented teams at EA" and that Lucasfilm Games "will continue working with" the studio.

So there you have it. EA will continue to make SW games, but now other game developers can as well.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2021-01-15 at 04:21 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

EA exclusivity is over and now we're getting an Ubisoft Star Wars game.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.