Poll: Should Parler be deplatformed?

Page 47 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    "Internet as Utility" is fairly common modern line of thinking everywhere, including US.
    Roads can be seen as a public utility but that doesn't mean you can force people to drive you places if they don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Maaaaaaaybe a little but what was the outcome?

Microsoft was allowed for the most part to continue being dicks, control its rights and access for the most part, and the private sector and users showed them what they thought of that by making IE a distant second if they are even in 2nd anymore?? I think they are like 5th since apple is #2 right?

The crux of the ruling gave the right of individuals to use any browser they wanted too, but it did not force MS to give them the browsers or even include them in windows. You know not being forced, as a private company, to allow anyone on to their service/program/product.

Hell it did not even require MS to do much other than give access to Windows programming. All that access still did not require MS to allow anything it did not want to allow.
    It's really not the same though...and I think that's the most important thing.

What Microsoft did was to use their monopoly on Operating Systems to try and force a monopoly on browsers.

As much as people want to pretend it is...Twitter is not a monopoly. They are a Social Media Platform in a sea of Social Media Platforms. And nothing about Banning Trump is harming competition. On the contrary, Any Social Media Platform that Trump goes to now is going to benefit from his followers. He's even floated the idea of creating his own Social Media Platform...and I hope he does. Then we'll really see how much influence he wants Government to have over Social Media.

Also, as I mentioned earlier... the Trump ban only applies to his personal account. The POTUS twitter account is still active.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not remotely. Yes, it's a government arm, but unlike RT or Sputnik or the Chinese media, it's not tightly controlled by the government.
    Clearly it is, given events described in your own article. In theory RT is also independent - and their journalists also protested some things; practice can differ from theory though.

How exactly do you measure "government control tightness" for comparison?

Hence why there was so much concern with Trump's latest replacement who immediately started meddling in what has historically largely been a hands-off approach to journalism.
    There were quite a few other articles through the years about "hands off" slowly going away.

Not sure how that in any way contradicts me pointing out that the "freeze peach" crowd are a bunch of hypocritical asshats, tho.
    How does Pompeo propaganda visit to VoA ties to free speech?

That article seems like more of a jab on lack of journalistic independence.
    "You can say things freely, but that doesn't protect you from consequences".
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2021-01-14 at 11:05 PM.

Journalistic Independence aka "Freedom of the Press" is part of the First Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Journalistic Independence aka "Freedom of the Press" is part of the First Amendment
    "Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences".

Clearly it is, given events described in your own article.
    Note that the events described are described as unusual, hence why it's being reported. VOA does not operate as the Russian and Chinese propaganda media do.

In theory RT is also independent - and their journalists also protested some things; practice can differ from theory though.
    Which journalists? The rubes like Larry King that they bring on to try to validate their propaganda? I mean, it's functionally them bringing Hunter Biden onto the board to try to give them credibility off the name.

RT and Sputnik are not remotely equivalent to VoA.

There were quite a few other articles through the years about "hands off" slowly going away.
    All under Trump, because he is an aberration. Note that these types of articles pre-Trump are very uncommon.

How does Pompeo propaganda visit to VoA ties to free speech?
    Pompeo directing the State department to reassign a journalist because he didn't like a question she asked? I mean, seems pretty obvious?

Yes, and when the government is the one curtailing that journalistic independence that's...curtailing Freedom of the Press and Free Speech.

China's probably proud of big tech for all the censorship.
    I <3 JK Rowling.

"Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences".
    Do you even understand your own argument anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you even understand your own argument anymore?
    You're asking the question of someone who's openly admitted they base their positions on how popular the opposing opinion is, rofl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Which journalists? The rubes like Larry King that they bring on to try to validate their propaganda? I mean, it's functionally them bringing Hunter Biden onto the board to try to give them credibility off the name.
    Like Abby Martin. (would love to see any equivalent VoA examples)

RT and Sputnik are not remotely equivalent to VoA.
    Yes, VoA is older and more entrenched propaganda outlet.

All under Trump, because he is an aberration. Note that these types of articles pre-Trump are very uncommon.
    It deteriorates together with other US institutions. We'll see if there will be any turning back with Trump gone; i personally don't expect any improvement.

Pompeo directing the State department to reassign a journalist because he didn't like a question she asked? I mean, seems pretty obvious?
    Isn't VoA free to take whatever suggestions it gets on board, and then act as it sees fit on them? I'm sure it has no "must ignore US government requests" (or "must ask US government hard questions", for that matter) in it's charter.

Yes, and when the government is the one curtailing that journalistic independence that's...curtailing Freedom of the Press and Free Speech.
    VoA is acting independently; they are not forced to do as they did. /s
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2021-01-14 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You're asking the question of someone who's openly admitted they base their positions on how popular the opposing opinion is, rofl.
    I'm just pointing out that they have effectively just attacked their own position.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    China govt doing censorship

v

Private company choosing whom to do business with.

Yup totally the same thing..

Is there such thing as a triple face palm?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Roads can be seen as a public utility but that doesn't mean you can force people to drive you places if they don't want to.
    or even force people to use those roads.
    They can ride through the forest if they wanted!!!

take a boat
    airplane

jet pack?

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm... social media in China is controlled by the government... that’s what you are asking for... lol

I really want to know... because none of you seem to answer... How exactly do you think a business in China can ban their president and his favorite platform, without going to a work camp? Do you people know anything about China?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Is there such thing as a triple face palm?
    Here you go:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Oh the irony.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/12/uganda...d-of-election/

President Yoweri Museveni, 76, apologized for the inconvenience caused by the ban, but said Uganda had no choice after Facebook removed several accounts tied to his reelection campaign.

“If you want to take sides against the (ruling party), then that group will not operate in Uganda,” he said in a national address.

Twitter's response: “We strongly condemn internet shutdowns – they are hugely harmful, violate basic human rights and the principles of the #OpenInternet,” it said in a statement.

Access to information and freedom of expression, including the public conversation on Twitter, is never more important than during democratic processes, particularly elections.

How can twitter be so tone deaf and cry about access to twitter being a human right?
    When the right stops inciting violence, insurrection, and death threats with social media, I'll take their cries about freedom of speech seriously. Until then, they're just a bunch of whiny children upset and screeching that they can't overthrow the government with twitter.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Here you go:
    Not ashamed to admit it... I was reading posts such as that when I was banned over the weekend and it was driving me up the wall that I couldn’t respond. The first time that ever happened...

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously dude... why is there a second Amendment? What were the red coats... at the command of the British government... doing... that made gun ownership the second amendment... not third or fourth... but, second... What was this a response to government doing?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not ashamed to admit it... I was reading posts such as that when I was banned over the weekend and it was driving me up the wall that I couldn’t respond. The first time that ever happened...
    Yeah, I was also banned over the weekend and was in the same position.

Funny though, I don't recall seeing anyone speaking up to defend our "right to free speech".

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I was also banned over the weekend and was in the same position.

Funny though, I don't recall seeing anyone speaking up to defend our "right to free speech".
    Imagine berating the mods because I said something stupid, then creating alts to do it again... what sort of... oh yeah... the sort that bitches when government doesn’t force us to listen to them. Actually, makes perfect sense...

Here you go:

it does exist
    in the exact context i wanted it too....thank you
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

it does exist
    in the exact context i wanted it too....thank you
    One can even expand upon that:

Critical Mass Facepalm