Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm not expecting tons of huge packages either, sadly (not that I need them, or personally want to benefit from them right now. I'm doing alright, its others that need the help). They don't have the numbers in the House/Senate for that, nor the progressive muscle for that as there are still quite a few moderate Democrats in the House and a handful in the Senate that may be pressured by their constituents to "worry about the debt" because thanks to Republicans, they blew it the fuck up for nothing before the pandemic even hit.

But I'm hoping they can figure out a way to do much more targeted packages that hit folks most effected by the pandemic if they can't continue to do the broader packages like this.
    Yeah same - I'll probably donate this one like the other one. Does anybody have any good recommendations for places to donate it too?

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Does anybody have any good recommendations for places to donate it too?
    Donate local IMO. Food backs/pantries/delivery services for the elderly etc. Not sure what's in your neck of the woods but I've donated to a handful of local food banks and shelters. I usually prefer to go with the more local groups, cuts out the national middle-man in many instances and makes sure more of the money is going towards the efforts rather than administrative costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Those PPE loans is why I was furloughed, instead of laid off... back at work for several months now...
    Honestly, even if they were a GOP invention, the idea of business loans that were forgiven if you stayed open seems to have mostly worked out. Yeah, we caught some people with their hand in the cookie jar, but the idea of "you can only keep the money if you stay open and employ people" seems like it helped you and people like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very Online pundits, stay golden.
    Does anyone even read past the first bullet point anymore? Let alone the lede.

I carefully read President-elect Biden’s America Rescue Plan. It’s full of many things I’ve been fighting for: Hazard pay. Rent and utility assistance. An eviction moratorium. Extended and expanded unemployment. Paid leave. A $15 minimum wage. An OSHA ETS. And lots, lots more.

$1.9 trillion in total proposals
    $400 billion to fighting the public health crisis, including through a national vaccination program, scaling up testing and contact tracing and providing paid sick leave
    $1 trillion in direct aid to struggling families by increasing stimulus checks to $2,000
    $440 billion to small-businesses, local communities and transit systems
    Raising the Federal Minimum Wage to $15 is a pretty boss move in a relief bill

This whole saga has been kinda sad. The Online Left is so used to being stonewalled by the Democratic establishment that, when Democrats actually agree to their requests, they have to invent new controversies to get everyone mad about.

BAsically people channeling their conservative step-dad, see Tball trophies.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    Very Online pundits, stay golden.
    Does anyone even read past the first bullet point anymore? Let alone the lede.

I carefully read President-elect Biden’s America Rescue Plan. It’s full of many things I’ve been fighting for: Hazard pay. Rent and utility assistance. An eviction moratorium. Extended and expanded unemployment. Paid leave. A $15 minimum wage. An OSHA ETS. And lots, lots more.

$1.9 trillion in total proposals
    $400 billion to fighting the public health crisis, including through a national vaccination program, scaling up testing and contact tracing and providing paid sick leave
    $1 trillion in direct aid to struggling families by increasing stimulus checks to $2,000
    $440 billion to small-businesses, local communities and transit systems
    Raising the Federal Minimum Wage to $15 is a pretty boss move in a relief bill

This whole saga has been kinda sad. The Online Left is so used to being stonewalled by the Democratic establishment that, when Democrats actually agree to their requests, they have to invent new controversies to get everyone mad about.

BAsically people channeling their conservative step-dad, see Tball trophies.
    I was about to post something like this

What these shows is that the lefty constituency of democrats cannot be trusted or that you should say off social media

Pick your poison

Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post

What these shows is that the lefty constituency of democrats cannot be trusted or that you should say off social media

Pick your poison
    No, it just shows that basing your political opinions off what you read on Twitter is still a bad idea. Because, again, political twitter is like...a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of actual politics.

Swing and a miss.

10+ Year Old Account

Pick your poison
    They are not really leftist... it’s contrarians... there are people who think that there is virtue in going against the norm, regardless of what that curve away from the norm means. There is a reason why fascist, the occult and just about every segment of the brain dead media cults that think they are the matrix... call people who see through their shit... normies...

- - - Updated - - -

No, it just shows that basing your political opinions off what you read on Twitter is still a bad idea. Because, again, political twitter is like...a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of actual politics.

Swing and a miss.
    Hot Take: Trump supporters are not conservative either... there is an overlap with Twitter politicking.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Pick your poison
    In the mother of all ironies, most of those "lefties" in these forums, are Trumpsters, like you.

that 1400 thing is naughty tho lol

but otherwise 15 bucks an hour, getting rid of tipping as a 'wage' and making llc's put real names down (still lots of fuckery there tho) is a good thing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...st-relief-bill

Shit, Dan Crenshaw is saying that they already passed the Biden stimulus plan?

Can anyone confirm if he's correct and Biden is just a copycat plagiarist or if his plan actually considerably expands the funding and benefits compared to the last stimulus?

I fully expect progressives to keep pushing for things we all know aren't likely to happen. That's perfectly fine, though. They may get some of what they want. It doesn't mean they hate each other and are at war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um...this appears to be crazy talk. Either

1) the last stimulus package elapsed and Biden wants a new one, in which case, Crenshaw is insane, or
    2) the last stimulus package somehow had $15/hr minimum wage and nobody posted it in several thousand pages of threads, plus, Crenshaw was the only one who noticed we already had it

The entire concept is crazy.

"Hey it's 2020, let's take a census"
    "Whoa whoa whoa! We did that in 2010! Stop copycatting yoo gaiz!"

7+ Year Old Account
    https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...st-relief-bill

Can anyone confirm if he's correct and Biden is just a copycat plagiarist or if his plan actually considerably expands the funding and benefits compared to the last stimulus?
    My soon to be former representative is notorious for lying about things like this, because he knows republican and trumplicans won't actually read through bills. I've called him out on it in the past on other things.

5+ Year Old Account
    So...only 1400 dollars? Lololol all the people who thought the empty leftist rhetoric was genuine allowing yourselves to forget that the democrats are a right-wing party... what did you think would happen? Biden n Harris are also the closest you get to the republicans too...bernie sanders got cheated, AGAIN, yet most of you chose to keep silent, well, nobody to blame but yourselves...if you let corporatist dems decide the course for you..enjoy four years of broken promises..

Did Trump want to give everyone 2k or more? Ofc not, but the deal gets better when you try one up the opposition in favor to get the public on your side. the LAST THING you want are people that are similar to the opposition, they are the most likely to vote similar to the opposition, they don't feel the pressure to one up the opposition since they know whoever wins, the politics stay the same. But with Trump afraid of loosing, he'll be desperate to offer a sweeter deal than he wants to...you needed someone like Bernie being suspicious n making sure the people get what they need, instead you chose the people most likely to side with republicans who are relieved Bernie didn't get in n they can save money..it's common fucking sense, how can people be so gullible?..

Now you will get four republican years dressed up as democrat..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-01-16 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    So...only 1400 dollars? Lololol all the people who thought the empty leftist rhetoric was genuine allowing yourselves to forget that the democrats are a right-wing party... what did you think would happen? Biden n Harris are also the closest you get to the republicans too...bernie sanders got cheated, AGAIN, yet most of you chose to keep silent, well, nobody to blame but yourselves...if you let corporatist dems decide the course for you..enjoy four years of broken promises..
    Dog, the right wing party didn't even want to give folks $600...and this includes a $15 federal minimum wage.

So are we going to have 4 years of Republicans pretending to be cosplay leftists or something? Because fuck, it seems like we just had that and it was pretty fuckin boring.

3+ Year Old Account
    $1400 to start with.

10+ Year Old Account
    enjoy four years of broken promises..
    Speaking from experience, are we?

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    $1400 to start with.
    imho:

On the face of it, bringing $2k down to $1400 is definitely a political error.

However, from what I read, basically the bill is more "fight the virus" rather than economic stimulus. Or, in other words, it's pretty close to a stripped down bill from a stimulus standpoint.

The part I DO like is: It could be argued that Biden attached essential virus prevention provisions and a reduction of the stimulus from $2k to $1400 in order to get the minimum wage raised to $15 an hour. Raising someone's wages from $8 an hour to $15 an hour is like a $14,000 stimulus check every year. And this really is getting money to people who really need it.

Anecdotal comments: I know quite a few people that are in their early 20s that are making less than $15 an hour. Each of these people would really be helped by such a raise. And their additional spending really would open up a lot more jobs for others. I also heard an offhand comment that tips would no longer be usable in reducing the wages of waitresses, waiters, and others. This also would be quite helpful if true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    imho:

On the face of it, bringing $2k down to $1400 is definitely a political error.

However, from what I read, basically the bill is more "fight the virus" rather than economic stimulus. Or, in other words, it's pretty close to a stripped down bill from a stimulus standpoint.

The part I DO like is: It could be argued that Biden attached essential virus prevention provisions and a reduction of the stimulus from $2k to $1400 in order to get the minimum wage raised to $15 an hour. Raising someone's wages from $8 an hour to $15 an hour is like a $14,000 stimulus check every year. And this really is getting money to people who really need it.

Anecdotal comments: I know quite a few people that are in their early 20s that are making less than $15 an hour. Each of these people would really be helped by such a raise. And their additional spending really would open up a lot more jobs for others. I also heard an offhand comment that tips would no longer be usable in reducing the wages of waitresses, waiters, and others. This also would be quite helpful if true.
    It also expands unemployment and increases it by 400$...

- - - Updated - - -

Did Trump want to give everyone 2k or more?
    Which party passed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Speaking from experience, are we?
    I got infracted for say that last week... just a heads up... this does count as trolling. Not complaining, just a heads up...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

People should get stimulus help until most of the population is vaccinated at the very least. Looks like that will be the case in one form or another.