View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Turns out that in 2017 (Theresa May / Tory manifesto) and again in 2019 (Boris Johnson https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...er-10-confirms) when the Conservatives promised to safeguard worker rights, actually they were lying. Who’d have thought?

https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-...b-38723b787569

FT paywall:

Worker protections enshrined in EU law - including the 48-hour week - would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of labour markets.

The package of deregulatory measures is being put together by the business department with the approval of Downing Street, according to people familiar with the matter. It has not yet been agreed by ministers - or put to the cabinet - but select business leaders have been sounded out on the plan.

Work harder for your masters, plebs!

It'lll be interesting to see how this plays out, especially with the new blue wall voters in the north.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Turns out that in 2017 (Theresa May / Tory manifesto) and again in 2019 (Boris Johnson https://www.politicshome.com/news/ar...er-10-confirms) when the Conservatives promised to safeguard worker rights, actually they were lying. Who’d have thought?

https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-...b-38723b787569

FT paywall:

Worker protections enshrined in EU law - including the 48-hour week - would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of labour markets.

The package of deregulatory measures is being put together by the business department with the approval of Downing Street, according to people familiar with the matter. It has not yet been agreed by ministers - or put to the cabinet - but select business leaders have been sounded out on the plan.

Work harder for your masters, plebs!

It'lll be interesting to see how this plays out, especially with the new blue wall voters in the north.
    Surely this would outrage the opposition ... if they had not taken a vow of silence ...

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I pity Express readers.
    I'm not sure 'pity' is the word I'd use...

But, honestly - it defies belief doesn't it? Do people genuinely not object to having been lied to? We've come to accept that politicians' promises are, basically, worthless?

Of course, governments need to be able to alter policy according to the situations they find themselves in. But... this (if a bill passes) would be genuinely disgraceful.

But, honestly - it defies belief doesn't it? Do people genuinely not object to having been lied to? We've come to accept that politicians' promises are, basically, worthless?

Of course, governments need to be able to alter policy according to the situations they find themselves in. But... this (if a bill passes) would be genuinely disgraceful.
    Well, if you want to work 80 hours a week and are allergic to holidays it's potentially great news ...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Scottish fishermen are really pleased too ...
    https://www.sff.co.uk/letter-to-prim...ief-executive/

- - - Updated - - -

As are meat exporters apparently ...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55680315

Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    Well, if you want to work 80 hours a week and are allergic to holidays it's potentially great news ...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Scottish fishermen are really pleased too ...
    https://www.sff.co.uk/letter-to-prim...ief-executive/

- - - Updated - - -

As are meat exporters apparently ...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55680315
    Obviously Remainers' fault. Don't worry, after about 30 or so years Brexit will show you all that all of their problems were the EU's fault! /s

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Obviously Remainers' fault. Don't worry, after about 30 or so years Brexit will show you all that all of their problems were the EU's fault! /s
    Of course it is ...
    "HMRC estimates the additional cost to UK business of bog-standard customs declarations alone at £7bn.".
    The uk's net contribution to the EU was 9 or 10 billions in 2019 after rebate and subsidies ... way to get back control of their money.

Edit : changed millions to billions
    Last edited by Demolitia; 2021-01-15 at 05:06 PM.

Separately, this is worth a visit:

My Little Crony

A visualization of the connections between Tory politicians and companies being awarded government contracts during the pandemic, based on reporting by openDemocracy, Byline Times, and more.

Jobs for the boys.

Any Conservative voter here who wants to comment? I'd be delighted to hear how you feel this is benefitting you directly (assuming we're not actually graced with the presence of a Randox board member or Owen Paterson).

Oh wait, I forgot - muh sovereignty, fish and chips in newspaper, no more Poles stealing your jobs and, of course, Labour was unelectable at the last election. Couldn't possibly have voted for Corbyn, no.

Morally degenerate Tory cunts. Fuck off.

Separately, this is worth a visit:

My Little Crony

A visualization of the connections between Tory politicians and companies being awarded government contracts during the pandemic, based on reporting by openDemocracy, Byline Times, and more.

Jobs for the boys.

Any Conservative voter here who wants to comment? I'd be delighted to hear how you feel this is benefitting you directly (assuming we're not actually graced with the presence of a Randox board member or Owen Paterson).

Oh wait, I forgot - muh sovereignty, fish and chips in newspaper, no more Poles stealing your jobs and, of course, Labour was unelectable at the last election. Couldn't possibly have voted for Corbyn, no.

Morally degenerate Tory cunts. Fuck off.
    Friendship is magic

Friendship is magic
    Do you reckon the author is a Bronie?

Yep - sorry... I really must calm down a bit.

Do you reckon the author is a Bronie?

Yep - sorry... I really must calm down a bit.
    I had to google what a Bronie is ...
    Thanks for the laugh Ginette. Made my day

I had to google what a Bronie is ...
    Thanks for the laugh Ginette. Made my day
    Well...

At this rate, I'm going to learn French and move to The Languedoc.

A nice cool bastide somewhere on a hill in the Cévennes.

Well...

At this rate, I'm going to learn French and move to The Languedoc.

A nice cool bastide somewhere on a hill in the Cévennes.
    Any place in France outside a major city is a good pick really. Which bit of nature depends a bit on your preference
    Don't buy a crumbling bastide. They're charming but financial black holes.

So that was a fun picture...

Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    So that was a fun picture...
    What in hell is supposed to be going on in this picture? Is this a waiting place before/after the chunnel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

I read the express... yesterday, wanted to see the bile on the reasons of dutch cabinet falling... it became ITS THE EU'S FAULT. and EU IS TO BLAME... HERE, WE GOT SMART ITS CUZ OF EU. Not knowing the inner workings of the EU.. fiscal unity and thus its spending/usage was a dream of the EU.. never realized even now (Treaty of Maastricht, pew pew pew'ed by France and the Netherlands, somewhere in the early 90's). Thus the Dutch ''Roverheid'' Goverment (I think (R)Overheid is a apt name now) Could go hardline on possible fraud without the EU screaming at them to do so.

Saw they were: ''backstabbers, them dutchies! good riddance'' . All of it reminded me of dribbles.... if more people are like him, rip the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    What in hell is supposed to be going on in this picture? Is this a waiting place before/after the chunnel?
    Manston Airport that was used as a makeshift lorry park back in December. That particular image is from when France closed the border completely for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    I read the express... yesterday, wanted to see the bile on the reasons of dutch cabinet falling... it became ITS THE EU'S FAULT. and EU IS TO BLAME... HERE, WE GOT SMART ITS CUZ OF EU. Not knowing the inner workings of the EU.. fiscal unity and thus its spending/usage was a dream of the EU.. never realized even now (Treaty of Maastricht, pew pew pew'ed by France and the Netherlands, somewhere in the early 90's). Thus the Dutch ''Roverheid'' Goverment (I think (R)Overheid is a apt name now) Could go hardline on possible fraud without the EU screaming at them to do so.

Saw they were: ''backstabbers, them dutchies! good riddance'' . All of it reminded me of dribbles.... if more people are like him, rip the UK.
    Funny thing is IF it was the evil EU (it isn't. It's how trading is without a massive comprehensive free trade agreement goes) at fault all it does is show how weak the uk is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Some area in Kent used an airfield to park the lorries that couldn't cross the channel because the border was closed for a couple days. I think this is the buildup from just one or two days of no border crossing. It's a good illustration at how quickly things can go bad. People have no concept of just how much trade happens between the UK and the EU.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post

Though what happened in the subsidies affaire in the Netherlands should not have happened, and is a legitimate reason for our cabinet to resign, I think it’s important to realize that this affaire wouldn’t even have registered in most countries.

We are so very used to (and spoiled by) a non corrupt government where most anything runs smoothly that these things appear bigger than they are.

For anyone non Dutch, we have a system of tax rebates where working parents can claim a rebate for childcare during work hours. This system was being abused by some, mostly immigrants, declaring non existing children and the like.

The tax bureau cracked down on it, accusing thousands of families of fraud and reclaiming the previously paid rebate (thousands of dollars per person). The problem is, they

1) did so without due course, so the families had very few ways to make objections.
    2) even if family’s did object, they needed to pay first, then see if the objection sticks and get the money returned to them, causing severe financial problems.
    3) it turns out they used racial profiling to decide who was likely committing fraud.

Of course, number 3 is the biggest talking point here, and everyone agrees they mishandled this situation. I do think it’s a bit of an overstatement to say our government was the spawn of evil.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    1) did so without due course, so the families had very few ways to make objections.
    2) even if family’s did object, they needed to pay first, then see if the objection sticks and get the money returned to them, causing severe financial problems.
    3) it turns out they used racial profiling to decide who was likely committing fraud.

Of course, number 3 is the biggest talking point here, and everyone agrees they mishandled this situation. I do think it’s a bit of an overstatement to say our government was the spawn of evil.
    Number 1 seems rather big to me, the ability to contest claims made by the government against you and try to prove it is false should be a right