Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Tiktok. Definitely that. Like, wtf is that even a thing
    It's an unhealthy mix of teenage attention-whores, creepy pedophiles, and cringey dance memes. It's like they distilled the worst parts of Vines (which were already terrible to begin with), and made an even worse version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    It's an unhealthy mix of teenage attention-whores, creepy pedophiles, and cringey dance memes. It's like they distilled the worst parts of Vines (which were already terrible to begin with), and made an even worse version of it.
    Worst part are the adults there, who create content. I've seen YT documentaries about TikTok... you have teachers and people like that create content, making a literal fool out of themselves.

"Connecting with the youth", they say.

Thank god my company doesn't consider TikTok worthwhile as a marketing platform for the brands we manage.

Carnaval, im from a region in the netherlands where its a thing. but i never liked nor loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Worst part are the adults there, who create content. I've seen YT documentaries about TikTok... you have teachers and people like that create content, making a literal fool out of themselves.

"Connecting with the youth", they say.

Thank god my company doesn't consider TikTok worthwhile as a marketing platform for the brands we manage.
    Juvenoia, look it up. Let kids do their thing and use whatever mediums you need to connect with them if you need to.

I don't get para social relationships.

As in stanning, simping, fanboying/fangirling etc. I understand the psychological mechanism behind it, I just can't relate.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-01-16 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    For me, it's just, what is the point of my life as a man if I don't create something that lasts after I'm gone. I don't get to bring life into the world, so the next best thing is to have children and pass something on to them. I think that's been a building block of civilization, moving the ball down the field, even if only a little.

I get a lot of people today don't think or care about continuation, legacy, or civilization, and instead focus on hedonism and self-gratification. I won't judge them if they won't judge me, but that mindset won't advance civilization. To each their own, though.
    My own family has always made me think people have lofty ideals for their offspring. I had 6 aunts and uncles, 4 of them died before they could have children, of the two left one abused her kids so badly all but one of them was taken away from her and adopted by other families, the other had two children and lost one to suicide. One remaining cousin has done absolutely nothing with his life and doesn't appear that he ever will (that includes having a family of his own) and the other is one of the worst people you'll ever meet. I always felt bad for my grandparents because they were great people, but man did their kids go off the rails and because of that their kids are disasters too. Not much of anything from my grandparents survived into their grandchildren to pass any further.

People usually go for extremes like "your kid could cure cancer" or "your kid could be a serial killer", but it's more likely that they won't be or do anything notable. I understand wanting to pass on genetics more (even if I think it's ridiculous) because ideals, in my experience, don't last past one generation if that.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson