Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    For minor nuisance crimes I honestly would settle for a fear of punishment over some awakening that I am doubtful will ever occur.
    It's been rather well documented for years now that "fear of punishment" does not deter criminal behaviour very much

https://nij.ojp.gov/topics/articles/...out-deterrence

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I'm sure Peter Scully agrees with you.
    I may be missing something here but it appears to me that man was convicted of violent crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    I may be missing something here but it appears to me that man was convicted of violent crimes.
    Post above yours doesn't differentiate. Horrific crimes done in other countries never seems to make any impact in the consciousness of other people. That baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Post above yours doesn't differentiate. Horrific crimes done in other countries never seems to make any impact in the consciousness of other people. That baffles me.
    Well, you didn't quote anyone...so there is no assumption that you are responding to anyone in particular.

Even so though, he does say that violent criminals might need to be taken out of society indefinitely. He just leans more towards institutions meant to reform than prisons meant to punish.

While reform should be the primary focus, there must be an element of punishment. That element may not be a great deterrent, but makes the victims feel as though justice is done and prevents them from seeking personal revenge. For some crimes this can be very minimal such as a fine, a small amount of community service, or even an official warning but when the crime causes a major negative impact on someone's life prison can be necessary. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying we need a prison system like that in the US, just that there needs to be something.