The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The FBI is also using his livestream he did while in the Capitol to track down others involved in this. Their own stupidity is backfiring on them hard.
    Gotta love that. I especially enjoyed women using dating sites to get men to not only admit they were at the Capital Issurrection, but to send them pictures of them there, which the women then turned over to the FBI.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s always hilarious when someone livestreams a crime and then tries to hide from the consequences.
    It's a leftover from following their dear leader, who has lived his entire life breaking any law he feels is in his way, entirely without consequence.

American Thinker apologizes to Dominion after getting letter from defamation attorneys

Conservative opinion website American Thinker on Friday issued a statement apologizing for printing false claims about Dominion Voting Systems after the voting machine company’s lawyers accused the blog of defamation.

American Thinker editor and publisher Thomas Lifson posted an online statement saying that the website had received a “lengthy letter from Dominion's defamation lawyers explaining why they believe that their client has been the victim of defamatory statements.”

Lifson said that, “Having considered the full import of the letter,” he admitted that several pieces on the website “falsely accuse” Dominion “of conspiring to steal the November 2020 election from Donald Trump.”

Translation: "Please do not sue us for billions of dollars like you did with Powell."

Trump next. I bet Dominion is just waiting until he step down.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-01-16 at 09:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Gotta love that. I especially enjoyed women using dating sites to get men to not only admit they were at the Capital Issurrection, but to send them pictures of them there, which the women then turned over to the FBI.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a leftover from following their dear leader, who has lived his entire life breaking any law he feels is in his way, entirely without consequence.
    What kind of strikes me is... why they thought they were going to get away with it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    American Thinker apologizes to Dominion after getting letter from defamation attorneys

Translation: "Please do not sue us for billions of dollars like you did with Powell."

...Does begrudgingly apologizing because your arm got twisted get you out of a lawsuit? It's not like the damage to Dominion's reputation wasn't done, or undone by this admission.

Hell, they even admitted to the wrongdoing. Hopefully Dominion goes full-speed ahead on suing their asses. The only thing that'll scare these tabloid rags masquerading as news is to see another one of their own sued into oblivion.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What kind of strikes me is... why they thought they were going to get away with it?
    That is a little disconcerting. I mean, if this was all planned ahead of time, which the FBI is starting to see in the larger picture (including help from inside the Capital Building), then perhaps they did expect to get away with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Legally speaking they are Totally Fucked. That is a term of art btw.

10+ Year Old Account

They also apparently closed their comments section across the site, likely because they knew their conspiracy loving base would freak out at being told point blank that they were being lied to.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

That is a little disconcerting. I mean, if this was all planned ahead of time, which the FBI is starting to see in the larger picture (including help from inside the Capital Building), then perhaps they did expect to get away with it.
    Not sure how much thought was occurring at the mob/livestreaming level. I think a lot of those people were just in a frenzy of anger, ignorance, and arguments like "it's the people's house!!11"

For the people who clearly planned ahead of time and brought things like zip tie handcuffs, or did things like reconnoiter the capitol building and rip out panic buttons... That implies a level of forethought that definitely includes consideration of the consequences. They were gambling that they would win, Trump would be president, and there would be no consequences for the people who caused that to happen by killing elected officials. There's probably some overlap between the two groups because if you think you're going to get away with it, then you want to document it for the history books and grandkids, right? It's sickening to think about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't even necessarily mean "they thought they'd be successful in installing Trump as the president." I'm sure some of them thought that was possible, but I have to think most of them were just there to try and make a fuss and impotently protest the election results in some feeble attempt to save face at Trump having lost, whether that take the form of generic protest, property destruction, or even planned violence. I think most of them were just there to make noise, and I'd think that most of them knew that.

By "getting away with it" I mean more that, by simply breaking into the capitol, and then dispersing (after which they continued to brag,) and then being surprised when the Feds come knocking, they thought what... they'd just get a mulligan on it? The FBI would look at what they did in breaking into a federal building and go "Oh those Trump supporters, always causing mischief!" and just sort of let the whole thing go by? Clearly, these are not people who are used to facing consequences for their actions in their lives. They thought that their "true patriotic actions" would give them free reign to do whatever.

But of course maybe I'm giving them too much credit. It's almost as if these stooges don't plan or think things through. Hence them voting for Trump, of course. They're the personification of the "Step 3: ???, Step 4: Profit" meme.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

- - - Updated - - -

It would more disconcerting to me if it was NOT planned. I’d hate to think they got that far without planning and prefer it if that’s as far as they could get with planning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ladies and gentlemen, Giuliani:

Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani tells ABC News he's working as part of the president's defense team in his upcoming second impeachment trial -- and that he's prepared to argue that the president's claims of widespread voter fraud did not constitute incitement to violence because the widely-debunked claims are true.

"I'm involved right now … that's what I'm working on," Giuliani told ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl.

A few hours later, Giuliani -- who led the president's efforts to overturn the 2020 election results -- was spotted at the White House.

Giuliani's involvement in Trump's impeachment defense comes as many of the lawyers involved in the president's first impeachment, including White House counsel Pat Cipollone and his deputies and outside lawyers Jay Sekulow and Jane and Marty Raskin, do not plan to return for the second trial.

The former New York City mayor said that in his defense of the president, he would introduce allegations of widespread voter fraud that have been raised -- and rejected -- in dozens of courtrooms across the country.

"They basically claimed that anytime [Trump] says voter fraud, voter fraud -- or I do, or anybody else -- we're inciting to violence; that those words are fighting words because it's totally untrue," he said. "Well, if you can prove that it's true, or at least true enough so it's a legitimate viewpoint, then they are no longer fighting words."
    So that's the angle they're going with. "It wasn't incitement to violence, it was alternative facts".

Man, I hope that's what Trump's legal team is actually trying, because

1) Trying to defend what Trump said by bringing up other things that Trump said is unlikely to work here.
    1a) To be fair, a lot of things are unlikely to work here. Even if Trump's actions hadn't been televised, this is going to be a pretty directly partisan vote.

2) This legal strategy is an announcement they have no defense but instead will use only conspiracy theories, without evidence or once that have been rejected by evidence (such as the famous five thousand, I mean two, dead voters in Georgia).

3) It might actually force Trump to take the stand. If Giuliani claims that Trump was just saying true things about the election, then surely he'd repeat them while under a Bil Clinton situation. And we all know Trump is terrified of being under oath, because Trump lies all the time about everything. Also, I don't think "everyone is saying it" is an acceptable defense while under oath. He'd be forced at legal gunpoint to admit he didn't know if any of the statements were true, because he had no evidence...or he'd have to claim he knew they were true, which might actually inspire what few actual Republicans are left to vote against him.
    3a) And just so we're clear:

iuliani said he wouldn't rule out the president testifying. Trump's lawyers were opposed to him testifying during his first impeachment trial, but Giuliani says this situation is different and the impeachment defense is "much more straightforward."

"You always make that decision at the last minute," Giuliani said. "As a lawyer, I wouldn't be as strongly opposed to his testifying as I was then."
    Which is why I hope so much that Giuliani is really involved. Trump provably lying to the Senate would be all Schumer needs to throw Trump in jail.

There is another option:

"If they decide to bring it to a trial, he should move to dismiss the impeachment as entirely illegal. That it was the only impeachment ever done in what, two days, three days," Giuliani told ABC News. "We would say to the court, 'You are now permitting in the future, basically in two days, the Congress can just impeach on anything they want to."
    This seems highly unlikely to work. Impeachment is spelled out very specifically in the Constitution, which I'm increasingly convinced Trump and Giuliani didn't read, but like Twitter's EULA you still have to abide by it. Even if the courts agreed to hear the case, I'm pretty confident they wouldn't block the impeachment -- "incited a riot against the House and Senate" sounds pretty clearly like a matter for impeachment, and the courts wouldn't have authority to judge the merits of the case, merely the charge or the way it's applied. Incidentally, if impeachment this way was illegal, why wasn't the House vote blocked?

And of course, there's a third option: Giuliani is just outright lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    3) It might actually force Trump to take the stand. If Giuliani claims that Trump was just saying true things about the election, then surely he'd repeat them while under a Bil Clinton situation. And we all know Trump is terrified of being under oath, because Trump lies all the time about everything. Also, I don't think "everyone is saying it" is an acceptable defense while under oath. He'd be forced at legal gunpoint to admit he didn't know if any of the statements were true, because he had no evidence...or he'd have to claim he knew they were true, which might actually inspire what few actual Republicans are left to vote against him.

Which is why I hope so much that Giuliani is really involved. Trump provably lying to the Senate would be all Schumer needs to throw Trump in jail.
    If it were someone more stable and/or cunning, I'd say it's a set up.

"Sure I'll lead your defense, fully behind you Don. That money you owe me? You mean the shitloads you promised I'd be paid and you told your people to not pay me? That's for another time. Now, let's get you ready for speaking under oath. Sure it's a sure win thing. Trust me. Now repeat after me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    If it were someone more stable and/or cunning, I'd say it's a set up.
    "The Trojan Whores"?

Ladies and gentlemen, Giuliani:

So that's the angle they're going with. "It wasn't incitement to violence, it was alternative facts".

Man, I hope that's what Trump's legal team is actually trying, because

1) Trying to defend what Trump said by bringing up other things that Trump said is unlikely to work here.
    1a) To be fair, a lot of things are unlikely to work here. Even if Trump's actions hadn't been televised, this is going to be a pretty directly partisan vote.

2) This legal strategy is an announcement they have no defense but instead will use only conspiracy theories, without evidence or once that have been rejected by evidence (such as the famous five thousand, I mean two, dead voters in Georgia).

3a) And just so we're clear:

There is another option:

This seems highly unlikely to work. Impeachment is spelled out very specifically in the Constitution, which I'm increasingly convinced Trump and Giuliani didn't read, but like Twitter's EULA you still have to abide by it. Even if the courts agreed to hear the case, I'm pretty confident they wouldn't block the impeachment -- "incited a riot against the House and Senate" sounds pretty clearly like a matter for impeachment, and the courts wouldn't have authority to judge the merits of the case, merely the charge or the way it's applied. Incidentally, if impeachment this way was illegal, why wasn't the House vote blocked?

And of course, there's a third option: Giuliani is just outright lying.
    I think a solid rule of thumb, is that if a person is still firmly in trump's corner, they are true believer in him and don't think he is lying and is a super genius and sent from god. Since Rudy is still with him, he likely thinks Trump is too smart to be tripped up on the stand.

I know NY was looking into disbarring Rudy, but I sincerely hope they wait until AFTER Trump shit cans him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ladies and gentlemen, Giuliani
    UPDATE: Actual non-fake non-RINO conservative Karl Rove says Trump's chances of conviction rise if Giuliani defends him, and he said it on FOX Freaking News.

Rove said during a “Fox News Sunday” appearance that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-Ky.) statements on the trial, in which he did not instruct Senate Republicans to vote against conviction, are “a sign that every Republican senator needs to take this seriously.”

“I think it’s all going to boil down to what the president’s defense is,” Rove added.

“Rudy Giuliani charted a very bad course in the morning papers,” Rove said, pointing to comments by the attorney suggesting the president could not have incited the deadly riots at the Capitol earlier this month because his unproven claims of election theft were true. The House last week impeached Trump over his role in the rioting, making him the only president to be impeached twice.

The election fraud argument, Rove noted on Sunday, “has been rejected by over 50 courts,” including some Trump appointees.

A Giuliani defense, he added, "raises the likelihood of more than 17 Republicans voting for conviction."
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I think a solid rule of thumb, is that if a person is still firmly in trump's corner, they are true believer in him and don't think he is lying and is a super genius and sent from god.
    I mean, there ws a time when people stood with Trump because they knew they could not win without him. For example, one of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach says doing so probably ended their career. Basically, Trump was the Titanic. If you stayed on board, you were out of the icy water for a few minutes longer.

But then Trump caused a riot. Trump was no longer the Titanic, he became the Hindenburg. And at some point, you jump out of the fire and hope to roll when you hit the ground, rather than attach yourself to something you know for a fact will explode and then rain to the ground in hundreds of flaming red-hot iron chunks.

So every passing day, you're closer and closer to being right. The people defending Trump who, yeah, is basically being impeached for being a terrorist, have passed the final "any chance at all to survive" mark. People like, say, @YUPPIE who are still in Trump's corner aren't admitting they're terrorists, only that they're fine with terrorism being carried out by their chosen leader Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this video is better. If even a lawyer openly admits you are guilty(well, in a roundabout way) to the media, Totally Fucked is the phrase that proper.

Yes, the video is from TMZ but it is just the video and no commentary.

https://www.tmz.com/videos/2021-01-1...awyer-4910619/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    If even a lawyer openly admits you are guilty
    It is telling when your lawyer's defense isn't "he didn't do it" or even "you can't prove he did it" but other options like "you aren't allowed to prove he did it, even though you can" or "yes he did it, but he's innocent because he didn't do anything worse".

It is telling when your lawyer's defense isn't "he didn't do it" or even "you can't prove he did it" but other options like "you aren't allowed to prove he did it, even though you can" or "yes he did it, but he's innocent because he didn't do anything worse".
    The comical part is he hired them and they basically threw him under the bus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    The comical part is he hired them and they basically threw him under the bus.
    This is America. Everyone is entitled to a defense. What I want to see is who lined up to take this case, in particular, before or after the pictures were posted.

This is America. Everyone is entitled to a defense. What I want to see is who lined up to take this case, in particular, before or after the pictures were posted.
    You are right on that. Everyone is entitled to their day in court and a defense for that day. Even these seditious assholes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, there ws a time when people stood with Trump because they knew they could not win without him. For example, one of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach says doing so probably ended their career. Basically, Trump was the Titanic. If you stayed on board, you were out of the icy water for a few minutes longer.

But then Trump caused a riot. Trump was no longer the Titanic, he became the Hindenburg. And at some point, you jump out of the fire and hope to roll when you hit the ground, rather than attach yourself to something you know for a fact will explode and then rain to the ground in hundreds of flaming red-hot iron chunks.
    It's not that they can't win without him, at this point. He lost 2020 soundly and showed in GA that he's actually more of a liability than an asset. It's pretty obvious that at the national level the GOP wants to distance itself from him.

It's just that a bunch of them are afraid of getting primaried. Some are up for reelection deep in Trump country and don't want to stick their necks out.

If Trump's impeachment defense is more of the same bullshit conspiracy peddling that lost them Georgia and sparked the riot, the Republicans aren't going to be able to let it slide. Cruz, Hawley, and the other Senators who persisted in their objecting on the same grounds are the ones who are in the doghouse now.

The GOP simply cannot be party to that narrative anymore, it's costing them donors.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2021-01-17 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It's not that they can't win without him, at this point.
    Exactly. Times sure have changed, haven't they? Before Trump lost, it would have been difficult to win without his support. Once he started shrilling to his rabid fanbase the election was stolen because he said so, the needle started to move. Real Republicans aren't, however, terrorists, and murderous insurrection crossed the line.

In theory, by 2024 things could be even more dramatically different. Trump could be broke, in jail, dead -- by natural causes, he's a big fat fatty fat obese fat lardass who thinks medicine is a Chinese haox -- or all three.