Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Thorgast balance

So what's up with the Thorgast balance?

I've been main-ing a ret paladin since the beginning of vanilla now and am by no means bad at it, but when I play Thorgast on my Paladin and my Destro Lock (which I think I play 'okay'), I notice so much difference in terms of difficulty.

On my Paladin, I do have to pay attention on the later levels and pop some cooldown-gymnastics to survive.
    On my Warlock, it doesn't matter at all. My voidwalker tanks everything and takes virtually no damage. I can burn down everything with basic attacks and only have to worry about fears/heals.

Have other people noticed that some classes have it easier/harder?

Or is it because on my first character, things are supposed to be harder?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the powers you get as well as the class, some classes are fine solo while others need a group for the higher floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    Yes - of course some class/specs have it easier, and for others it is impossible to solo.

A mage isn't a tank so it isn't going to be able to do the same stuff as a DH might be able to do.

Torghast should have been designed as a solo activity - we already have enough group stuff to do.

Went in this week - and my first run I had a beast tank from the anima power - the run was trivial
    Second run I didn't get offered a beast tank - could barely get past the first floor.

Both were Difficulty 4.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Try rogue, our best anima powers are disappearing randomly since release and they still haven't addressed it apart from saying to report it via in game bug report tool. Nothing beats being weaker instead of stronger with each passing floor.

I try and it's easy. +dmg to combo generators after finisher is OP as fuck and is only "common" power.

Thorgast don't need "balance" because it is only trashy content to do in free time.
    Last edited by Danuel; 2021-01-18 at 08:57 AM.

Yup. Funny you should mention it tho, with warlock and paladin being basically the top 2 torghast classes that have it the easiest. Followed by warriors and hunters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

try prot paladin... it's awesome in torghast,. also your warlock has a pet tank... it's not the same doing torghast with a tank than than with no tank.

- - - Updated - - -

Hunters have problems in torghast (twisting corridors) due to their pet dying instantly by final bosses, so no, hunters are not great at torghast, Vengeance dh are way strongest in torghast than warriors or hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Danuel View Post
    I try and it's easy. +dmg to combo generators after finisher is OP as fuck and is only "common" power.

Thorgast don't need "balance" because it is only trashy content to do in free time.
    Yeah on you free time and if you want to do your campaign , get renown from callings and make some legendaries. If you don't want to do any of that then you never have to set foot in the place.

My MM hunter pisses all over layer 8 and my Mage gets pissed on in layer 8. Two weeks in a row i ran into a floor boss on my mage that got the stacking buff than makes them immune to cc after a few stacks. Once it killed my mirror images in 2 seconds then broke my shield in one hit then one shotted me after i healed up in iceblock + health pot i got the message.

do you know you can reset the fisrt 4 powers by exiting the instance? if they don't offer you a tank pet, exit and re-enter

I've been main-ing a ret paladin since the beginning of vanilla now and am by no means bad at it, but when I play Thorgast on my Paladin and my Destro Lock (which I think I play 'okay'), I notice so much difference in terms of difficulty.

On my Paladin, I do have to pay attention on the later levels and pop some cooldown-gymnastics to survive.
    On my Warlock, it doesn't matter at all. My voidwalker tanks everything and takes virtually no damage. I can burn down everything with basic attacks and only have to worry about fears/heals.

I just played on my warlock. I got 0 epic traits and wiped on the boss(i even tryed to clear it nicely). Other times I burst down the boss with 150-200K DPS. It really depends on the RNG.

Prot paladin all the way...Just finished the 8th floor with it (ilvl 193)...Needed some luck hands down (especially on the final boss...6,3 million health...)
    On floor 7 I've seen a waaay too powerful anima power "Defiance of Death You are unable to lose more than 25% of your maximum health from a single attack." This makes the bossfights..ANY bossfight faceroll with a prot pala with super selfhealing....

With my main (hunter, ilvl 200) I have zero chance over floor 5....

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is a comment I made yesterday on a different thread about Twisting Corridors:

Finished layer 8 today as a fire mage 215ilvl. I did all layers on one go, didn't "lose" at all and only died once or twice through the whole 8x18 floors. I did have some Cauterize situations.

Mort'regar (the one with magic damage taken debuff + ghost mobs) was by far the most annoying, followed by Coldheart Interstitia (mob hp increase) because on the latter it was a little hard to collect mobs to aoe them down without the rare mist power that forces them to come closer to have them cast on you.

The most important power is the epic power of Mirror Images combined with the uncommon power that grants you more MI and the rare power that creates a MI when you blink. If you also have the epic power which gives you 5 charges of Shimmer when you blink over a Mawrat you can have an infinite army of images casting Greater Pyroblast. I didn't have the epic power appear on layer 8.

What I did have however was the Alter Time power. There is a rare and a common power. The rare stacks to 3 times and reduces the cds of all your spells during the AT window by 1/2/3 seconds. The common power increases your AT window. I managed to have AT last 1 minute (as much as its cooldown, so I had 100% uptime) by the end of layer 8 and every time I used a spell my cds were reduced by 3 seconds.

And of course Fire Juggler, which makes your fireblasts knockup all enemies, including bosses.

Mage is super easy to do, but I'd advise getting Ven'ari upgrades which kinda forces you to do Maw activities, something many people try to avoid ^^

I finished twisting corridors on my sub rogue, the later layers were hard since one of the best anima powers is bugged and keeps disappearing, but it was doable. On outlaw it just feels impossible. There is too much difference in survivability.

Quote Originally Posted by Selennah View Post
    do you know you can reset the fisrt 4 powers by exiting the instance? if they don't offer you a tank pet, exit and re-enter
    I tried that ... and it did not, I could not get it to change the first 4 powers (or in normal weeks the first power) by exiting. The first selection is always identical each time I try.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

It's so incredibly easy as an ele shaman and aff warlock. Then on hunter I have to pull carefully and kite stuff since the pet is worthless as it dies constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    Mage is super easy to do,
    Arcane mage is impossible to do ... even Layer 1 ... I just don't have enough health to tank the bosses or packs when they don't split.

I can dps even the biggest guys down in under 30 seconds, but they can dps me down in under 10.

That's the point - the balance is off kilter.

As mage (my main in sl) it's easy-ish - if you have a problem switch to frost and simple CC mobs it takes time and is boring as fuck but doable.
    I play assa rouge and maybe because of that I have easy time.

Yeah it's very unbalanced. It was rushed and didn't get enough testing in alpha/beta.
    The core that was Torghast changed every week or so until release.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a destruction warlock myself, I’ve soloed 4 out of 6 layers. I find that I enjoy doing it by myself more than having to deal with other players overpulling. The highest my Voidies health ever got was 1.6 million health. I delete most of the bosses, though layer 6 I had the big worm boss at the end of TWO coldheart interstella layers and gods above its HP was ridiculous
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Arcane mage is impossible to do ... even Layer 1 ... I just don't have enough health to tank the bosses or packs when they don't split.

I can dps even the biggest guys down in under 30 seconds, but they can dps me down in under 10.

That's the point - the balance is off kilter.
    Are you running around naked? Layer 1 mobs are weaker than regular outdoor enemies.