Started recording a podcast, then overwhelmed with the feeling "nobody's gonna care"

I'd recorded an episode of a gaming podcast a while back, and I'd honestly really enjoyed it. I'd been thinking a lot about another one, collecting my thoughts to really do a "deep dive" on a game (FF7 Remake), but like 45 min into recording, I just got hit with this overwhelming sense of "man, absolutely nobody is going to give a shit about my thoughts".

I mean, I imagine most people trying to do *anything* probably deal with similar hurdles, but... eh, I dunno. Any of you guys personally deal with that? How do you "push through"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Everybody has a podcast these days.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Sounds more YouTube talking heady than a podcast. You are right most people won't give a fuck. Mega FF7 remake people would if it's interesting. I mean even the biggest of the big only have like sliver of the availiable audience. I suggest if you enjoy doing these things then do them. If people watch and you get lots of money.. great! If not you did something you enjoyed and you know what.. great! If its just about the dirty dollar then.. yeah.. its a long shot. But you do you is all anyone should say.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Sounds more YouTube talking heady than a podcast. You are right most people won't give a fuck. Mega FF7 remake people would if it's interesting. I mean even the biggest of the big only have like sliver of the availiable audience. I suggest if you enjoy doing these things then do them. If people watch and you get lots of money.. great! If not you did something you enjoyed and you know what.. great! If its just about the dirty dollar then.. yeah.. its a long shot. But you do you is all anyone should say.
    Yeah, I would agree with that. There's definitely no reasonable expectation of money; I just genuinely enjoy talking about video-games. I enjoy watching videos like that, and to be honest, I'd love to be part of a group talking about games; it just feels a bit weird doing it yourself. I'm a big fan of Maximillian_dood, for example, but the dude has over a decade of experience, is a legitimate *talented* gamer (I used to be, but I'm perfectly average now), and he brings interesting insights and a certain amount of credibility.

I suppose maybe I'm just down because I'm realizing how much work is involved, and I'm not sure I want to put in the work if literally zero people actually hear any of it. And maybe what's what separates the "successful" ones; they put in the work anyways, even knowing it's likely just for themselves.

I dunno. Maybe I just don't have the "creative streak" for this stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your mind is also your worst enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Any of you guys personally deal with that? How do you "push through"?
    Honest self-evaluation.

Do you have something to say that is interesting? And/or, are you saying it in a way that is engaging either in content or delivery that is uncommon/attention-getting?

If yes to either, you do it for the sake of it. That is all there is to it.

I did not develop a podcast but years ago I did a blog where I ate a new variety of apple each day for a year. I wrote a post about the apple each day. An apple-a-day, basically.

It was not much and I only had a few friends and family reading for a long time. Then a few more people and so on. It eventually led to me posting between "apple posts" my thoughts on this or that album or film I was recently listed to/watched. Enough people liked it that I was offered some freelance writing work with a local indie zine. Leading to more freelance writing; early internet I was writing reviews for Pop Matters, Stereogum, AllMusic, and NME. I even became a contributor for Pitchfork and the Chicago Sun-Times and Variety.

I am not even a writer. I just did it. That's the point. Just do it if you think you have something worthwhile to say or have something interestingly different to say.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do it for yourself and you'll find the process much easier. If you do it for other people there's a good chance you'll get demotivated because, statistically speaking, you're right and nobody will give much of a fuck about what you have to say. You can only hope for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

I think almost every single successful podcaster, blogger, youtuber, etc has said the same thing to themselves at one point or another "No one will care what I think".

They did it anyway...and someone cared enough to tell their friends, or to link it on their social media,etc.

99.99% of the population will never care what you think.

Don't worry about them.

Do it for the 0.01

I used to be really into UFOlogy, folklore (vampires, werewolves, spirits), and various other weird stuff. Like, I've forgotten more than most people will ever learn about it. But I don't write or do podcasts on it because there's such a social stigma against even people who study that stuff. Not experience it, mind you, but just researching it can give you a scarlet letter unless you're mocking and belittling people who claim to have experiences and going into it purely to debunk them.

Video games are a lot safer and more accessable, so even if it doesn't hit a big audience, just do it.

If you try, you might not succeed. If you don't try, you definitely won't succeed.

Theres like, a few hundred million plebs out there with an opinion about the most basic things in the world like anything nintendo, final fantasy, etc.

Do you have anything worthwhile to say that hasnt already been said?

I just got hit with this overwhelming sense of "man, absolutely nobody is going to give a shit about my thoughts".
    What you think doesn't matter, what matters is if you are entertaining or not. I don't listen to Preach because I give a fuck what he thinks I listen to him because he makes me laugh, that's it. Asmongold? Same thing, makes me laugh I don't care about his opinion. Someone like Bellular I don't listen to for the same reason, they aren't entertaining to me and because I don't care about what anyone says that means I won't watch his stuff. There's a non wow related guy I watch a lot

Funny, so I watch, I don't care about investing lol.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2021-01-18 at 04:32 PM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I've been a Ricky, Steve and Karl fanatic for ages. They undoubtedly kicked off our podcast age. If they taught us anything, it's do what you love and people will listen. If you enjoy it and are having a good time doing it then the rest will follow.

Karl spouts absolute twaddle and it's the most enjoyable BS I've ever listened to.
    Their OG podcasts broke all kinds of records for the time and kickstarted this era.

If you haven't yet, give them a listen. Their radio shows were soo funny back on XFM in London. They evolved into "Guide to'" podcasts like Ricky Gervais Guide to Humanity etc and the stuff is so funny HBO animated the best bits into The Ricky Gervais Show.

XFM Shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0bumjIvMjc

HBO Shows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnaE3cT9xs

Point is, if you enjoyed it, keep doing it. Enthusiasm is infectious.
    And those 3 have shown us that we will listen to anything.

I mean Monkey News?
    lol check.
    I had the entire law firm laughing at Karls fucking monkey news.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean the majority of people won’t give a shit and why should they? There are millions of podcasts made each day for countless topics. Unless you have a gimmick you will just be a whisper among the endless amount of shouting retards trying to attract the attention of kids.
    So if your gonna do a podcast do it because you want to and don’t give a rats ass if anyone actually listens to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the way I see it when you're streaming or podcasting you're reaching out to people who DO care. I think that's the whole point to those things. I don't do either but was always curious about the idea but I would imagine that's the way it works. You just be you and you provide your content whatever it is and the people who don't care will go somewhere else but then you'll eventually get people who DO care and watch or listen to your podcast. Maybe they have the same opinions and thoughts about whatever you're talking about and just enjoy listening to someone who thinks the same way they do.

So who cares about what people think or how little they care because if it's something you find fun to do then what does it matter in the end? If you're doing this with the sole purpose of trying to eventually become like one of those millionaire streamers or podcasters then yeah you're probably gonna have a bad time but if you just genuinely have fun making podcasts then who cares?
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I'd recorded an episode of a gaming podcast a while back, and I'd honestly really enjoyed it. I'd been thinking a lot about another one, collecting my thoughts to really do a "deep dive" on a game (FF7 Remake), but like 45 min into recording, I just got hit with this overwhelming sense of "man, absolutely nobody is going to give a shit about my thoughts".

I mean, I imagine most people trying to do *anything* probably deal with similar hurdles, but... eh, I dunno. Any of you guys personally deal with that? How do you "push through"?
    45min?! That is a long time to sit and listen to just about anything for the average person. I've also found I can get more information and quicker from reading about it than have someone use a video and explain things.

Does it matter if anyone hears or cares what you have to say? If you love saying it and talking about it, fall in love with the process of doing so. If you give that much of a damn whether people listen, start some minimal advertising to get a few get feedback, adjust your podcast as necessary and start hardcore advertising.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    45min?! That is a long time to sit and listen to just about anything for the average person. I've also found I can get more information and quicker from reading about it than have someone use a video and explain things.
    I tend to agree, but I've found some of my employees leave podcasts on all day while working so 45 minutes is nothing to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are not doing it for your self, what’s the point?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Well there's a lot of editing that goes on. 45 min of recording might whittle down to like 20-30 min of audio, just eliminating dead noise (I often pause between sentences, thinking how to word things carefully), or even just cutting bits that seem irrelevant. I'd probably be the worst person to listen to on a live stream (I work in politics, so I'm always trying to anticipate the *worst* way something can be taken before speaking).

In any case, I appreciate the input. You're all right; I need to evaluate if I enjoy doing this enough to continue for my own benefit, or not. I have a hard time spending time doing anything that *isn't* productive or making money, so I'll probably just drop it altogether.